Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-07-18, 06:09 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
While I agree that Summer for most teachers is sweet my wife does Summer school for 5-6 weeks and works a retail job about 15-20 hours. Thats her choice I understand but not much pool time.
Old 03-07-18, 07:35 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Actually, many Ohio home-schooled kids take the proficiency tests. Mine typically did it in a conference room at some hotel in Beachwood.

Mine, able to work at their own pace in the virtual classroom, were always at the very top of the rankings. So, yeah, advanced placement when they entered public school, and AP options had we continued at home.
Hey, that’s the same hotel your wife “works” at, so that’s convenient.
Old 03-07-18, 07:37 AM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Actually, many Ohio home-schooled kids take the proficiency tests. Mine typically did it in a conference room at some hotel in Beachwood.

Mine, able to work at their own pace in the virtual classroom, were always at the very top of the rankings. So, yeah, advanced placement when they entered public school, and AP options had we continued at home.
Sounds like ep's kids are morons and he thinks they are normal struggling in their General classes. Intro to basic math and How to Stay in the Lines While Coloring. 8th grade now! Good news ep, they have a job waiting as a nail tech or register tech at Kohls.
Old 03-07-18, 07:39 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Sounds like ep's kids are morons and he thinks they are normal struggling in their General classes. Intro to basic math and How to Stay in the Lines While Coloring. 8th grade now! Good news ep, they have a job waiting as a nail tech or register tech at Kohls.
Old 03-07-18, 07:53 AM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin20 View Post
While I agree that Summer for most teachers is sweet my wife does Summer school for 5-6 weeks and works a retail job about 15-20 hours. Thats her choice I understand but not much pool time.
There was a time when most teachers had summer jobs to make ends meet. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Again, my point is we have many public entities struggling money wise, but we are held hostage educating kids by the teacher unions.
Old 03-07-18, 07:55 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by WykidWytch View Post
https://www.strsoh.org/actives/retir.../applying.html

Retiring after 2026 requires 60 years of age and 35 years for full benefits. They recently moved the finish line.
Any other line of work where you could retire early and get full benefits? Of course this doesn't include the new retire/ rehire rules where you get the same pay and can start getting retirement income. Heck of a a deal.
Old 03-07-18, 08:03 AM
All World

Quote:
I think young teachers are underpaid. Many older teachers may be overpaid.

The idea that every teacher needs a Masters and its commensurate salary is a bit stupid. We have an elementary phys Ed teacher making nearly $80k. Alumni athlete, great guy, father of 4 or 5, but that's a joke.
cab, no idea how old you are, but please name an occupation where you start higher on the pay scale?? Nearly EVERY occupation has an "entry" level wage. Now I have never understood why in most occupations that the folks that been doing THE SAME JOB makes more and more as time goes on, over and above cost of living adjustments. The job is the same, has the same affect on the company, why do people get paid sometimes double to do the same job they did 10-15 years ago? But try to get that one changed...

As far as your gym teacher pulling in nearly six figures, thank the teacher union for that. It's very scripted that if you get your masters and every "step" levels you get more money. Good teacher or bad, trigonometry, chemistry or gym class, it's all the same in the unions eyes. And yes, it's a huge joke, but what can a community do?
Old 03-07-18, 08:22 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
The job is the same, has the same affect on the company, why do people get paid sometimes double to do the same job they did 10-15 years ago? But try to get that one changed...
Gee I don't know, maybe because some people are significantly better at their jobs than others and companies want to keep the good ones?
Old 03-07-18, 08:54 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Gee I don't know, maybe because some people are significantly better at their jobs than others and companies want to keep the good ones?
Absolutely, the experience over time does have some value to it. But let's be honest, good teacher, bad teacher, mediocre teacher, all get paid the same. Does that seem right?
Old 03-07-18, 08:57 AM
All World

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Any other line of work where you could retire early and get full benefits?
Police officer.
Old 03-07-18, 09:11 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Absolutely, the experience over time does have some value to it. But let's be honest, good teacher, bad teacher, mediocre teacher, all get paid the same. Does that seem right?
Are you arguing for teachers now?

I see you conveniently ignored every post that made you look like a buffoon.
Old 03-07-18, 09:13 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Except they don't.
Old 03-07-18, 09:22 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
14Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Police officer.
I would add Fireman,

State elected Pols... they get 1.5 years credited to retirement for every year
they serve.

Also U.S. Military... after 30 years of service

enter age 18 ... out at age 48!

:>---

EGA
Old 03-07-18, 09:41 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Any other line of work where you could retire early and get full benefits? Of course this doesn't include the new retire/ rehire rules where you get the same pay and can start getting retirement income. Heck of a a deal.
Probably most if not all career government positions - city, county, state, and federal - are eligible for regular retirement between 55 and 70, perhaps earlier for law enforcement and firefighters. Early retirement for federal is possible, but with a substantial penalty.

Not sure how West Virginia does it, but in Ohio typically a retired teacher who decides to come back to the same job will not get the same pay from the district as a retired contractor - actually, substantially less. Cheaper for the school, their payroll is reduced, and they're no longer paying benefits for the retiree, while retaining an experienced person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
I
Didn't think of the military, since a larger percentage of veterans still have a more traditional career in civilian life after they leave.

Actually, it's still 20 years for a military monthly pension. Enter at 18 - out at 38. Even better!

Navy and Marines use some creative accounting and call it "retainer pay" if you have at least 20 but less than 30, but it's the same pay.
Old 03-07-18, 09:49 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Cop, firefighter, soldier, any number of union building trades.

Just because you have a job where they bend you over and tell you what you are allowed to make, some situations exist where two sides negotiate. Don't be a hater because you are getting screwed. Why are you rooting for the least common denominator ?
Old 03-07-18, 09:51 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Probably most if not all career government positions - city, county, state, and federal - are eligible for regular retirement between 55 and 70, perhaps earlier for law enforcement and firefighters. Early retirement for federal is possible, but with a substantial penalty.

Not sure how West Virginia does it, but in Ohio typically a retired teacher who decides to come back to the same job will not get the same pay from the district as a retired contractor - actually, substantially less. Cheaper for the school, their payroll is reduced, and they're no longer paying benefits for the retiree, while retaining an experienced person.
And takes a job away from a young teacher.
Old 03-07-18, 09:55 AM
All World

Quote:
Cop, firefighter, soldier, any number of union building trades.

Just because you have a job where they bend you over and tell you what you are allowed to make, some situations exist where two sides negotiate. Don't be a hater because you are getting screwed. Why are you rooting for the least common denominator ?
Cops, firefighters, soldiers, don't see many of those in their mid-late 50's/ 60's....that's a good thing. I don't equate a school teacher as an overly physical occupation.
Look, I have no problem with how the systems work now, just don't complain about how bad you have it when many professions make less and have less control over their work. Teachers have it made...flat out. They get great pay, time off, great benefits and yet we have teacher's striking?? Really??

I see WVA administrators gave in. All's well that ends well, I guess. Wonder what program gets cut in that state so they can give the teachers a nice raise.
Old 03-07-18, 10:06 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And takes a job away from a young teacher.
No - it only takes away the opportunity to apply for one particular vacancy at one particular school. You're giving the impression the job market is locked up tight. It is not.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...eded-most.html
Old 03-07-18, 10:39 AM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:

It's a very small sample size, but the handful of home-school kids I've had in class over the past 9 years have been woefully unprepared for college. Just one of them that I know lasted beyond the first year.

They've been cripplingly awkward around others, unable to manage a schedule, to name just a couple areas of concern. Maybe things are different in other areas.
Old 03-07-18, 10:42 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
My dad could have retired from Kroger at 55 with full benefits had he lived.
Old 03-07-18, 10:45 AM
All Yappi

Lots of employers offer early retirement packages periodically. Is 14red even in the workforce?

Last edited by eastside_purple; 03-07-18 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-07-18, 10:47 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
It's a very small sample size, but the handful of home-school kids I've had in class over the past 9 years have been woefully unprepared for college. Just one of them that I know lasted beyond the first year.

They've been cripplingly awkward around others, unable to manage a schedule, to name just a couple areas of concern. Maybe things are different in other areas.
I think that’s been everyone’s experience with homeschooled kids.
Old 03-07-18, 10:49 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post

And that is more than earned.
Old 03-07-18, 11:11 AM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Military, firefighter, police, air-traffic controller
Old 03-07-18, 11:38 AM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Cops, firefighters, soldiers, don't see many of those in their mid-late 50's/ 60's....that's a good thing. I don't equate a school teacher as an overly physical occupation.
What does the physicality of the job have to do with the question you asked??

Quote:
Look, I have no problem with how the systems work now, just don't complain about how bad you have it when many professions make less and have less control over their work. Teachers have it made...flat out. They get great pay, time off, great benefits and yet we have teacher's striking?? Really??
I still don't know where you get that teachers make "great" pay. The benefits are not that great in some states anymore. Time off?? They don't get paid for summer break. They can ask for their checks to be spread out evenly over 12 months but they don't get paid for their "time off". A lot of teachers actually work over Christmas and spring break. They are grading papers and tests. They are getting their rooms ready over summer break. They are working on their school plans during the summer.

Quote:
I see WVA administrators gave in. All's well that ends well, I guess. Wonder what program gets cut in that state so they can give the teachers a nice raise.
The state raised the pay of all employees not just teachers.
Old 03-07-18, 11:41 AM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Ohio I have two neighbors who were teachers retired at 55.
Depending on how you invest your money, there are lots of jobs you can retire from at age 55.
Old 03-07-18, 11:48 AM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
They can ask for their checks to be spread out evenly over 12 months ...
It's to the advantage of the school district to do that, not the teachers

Quote:
A lot of teachers actually work over Christmas and spring break.
Maybe for a day or two. Anybody that spends the entire break working on school doesn't know what they are doing.

Quote:
They are getting their rooms ready over summer break.
Again, maybe for a day or two, and usually during a paid work day. But not all summer, the building is closed, or is being cleaned.

Quote:
They are working on their school plans during the summer.
Maybe for a few days, and maybe getting paid a little extra to do so.

Sometimes teaching is a lot of work, and sometimes it is not. There are many variables.
Old 03-07-18, 11:52 AM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I was expecting a little more out of you. You ruined my day.
Old 03-07-18, 12:23 PM
All Yappi

dado6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Don't you remember? They were doing it for the kids.

Will they be better teachers now that the got the 5% raise? If so, they were being slackers before, and wouldn't deserve a raise.
Old 03-07-18, 12:27 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dado6 View Post
Will they be better teachers now that the got the 5% raise? If so, they were being slackers before, and wouldn't deserve a raise.
Jesus, really? God forbid we ever reward people for doing a good job and inspire them to be even better. What is it with you people?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: