Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-01-18, 11:33 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 35,668
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
What Movies Did You Watch in March 2018?

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#3743 Atomic Shark (US-2016) ... 1.0/8

#3744 Morgan (US-2016) ... 5.0/8

#3745 Attack of the Killer Donuts (US-2016) ... 2.0/8

#3746 A Cure For Wellness (US-2016) ... 6.0/8

#3747 Wrong Turn 5: Bloodlines (US-2012) ... 2.0/8

#3748 Cooties (US-2014) ... 7.0/8

#3749 Subspecies (US-1991) ... 5.0/8

#3750 Subspecies 2: Bloodstone (US-1992) ... 4.5/8

#3751 Ghoul (US-2012) ... 3.5/8

#3752 Lady Psycho Killer (US-2015) ... 4.5/8

#3753 Alien: Covenant (US-2017) ... aka Alien 6, aka Prometheus 2 ... 4.0/8

#3754 Subspecies 3: Bloodlust (US-1994) ... 4.5/8

#3755 The Stepford Wives (US-2004) ... 5.0/8

#3756 Silent Retreat (Canada-2013) ... 2.0/8

#3757 The Mummy (US-2017) ... 5.0/8

#3758 The Dead Don't Die (US-1975) ... 4.0

Last edited by vamp2syd; 04-04-18 at 04:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 03-02-18, 07:38 AM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 17,617
eastisbest will become famous soon enough
3 Billboards 4/8 One of those, let's make everyone as quirky as we can because it's easy and not have an ending kind of movie, exactly what I don't particularly like so a few points lost, because I didn't like it. Still, some parts impressed me as well done. The scenery and shots hit the mood well. Acting was either brilliant or horrible. I thought Harrelson was great. Some serious holes left in the plot, which director usually puts of as "for the audiences imagination but these were bad. Some of the on-line complaints thogh, should go back and listen to Harrleson's "note." Several of the holes filled in if attention is paid to that.

McDorman and Rockwell went full re--rd, eh. I thought they could have toned it down a bit and it would have kept me in the movie and characters. Instead I just rolled my eyes, said they wouldn't last a day around here. Most of the kid and foreign actors, lol bad.

This was no In Bruges. Been a horrible year for the Academies and most of the trash coming out of the UK. They talk about so-white. Maybe the politics is missing the reality.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-03-18, 04:19 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 17,617
eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Get Out 6/8 So far easily my favorite of those movies receiving Oscar nods in some major category and I genererally do not even watch Horror genre. Last line of the movie was great. Not a good year for me, movie wise. Still looking forward to seeing Logan, I Tanya. Not much interest in Thread, Call Me or Lady Bird.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-03-18, 04:28 PM
Purplemojo Purplemojo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-20-08
Posts: 3,196
Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
3 Billboards 4/8 One of those, let's make everyone as quirky as we can because it's easy and not have an ending kind of movie, exactly what I don't particularly like so a few points lost, because I didn't like it. Still, some parts impressed me as well done. The scenery and shots hit the mood well. Acting was either brilliant or horrible. I thought Harrelson was great. Some serious holes left in the plot, which director usually puts of as "for the audiences imagination but these were bad. Some of the on-line complaints thogh, should go back and listen to Harrleson's "note." Several of the holes filled in if attention is paid to that.

McDorman and Rockwell went full re--rd, eh. I thought they could have toned it down a bit and it would have kept me in the movie and characters. Instead I just rolled my eyes, said they wouldn't last a day around here. Most of the kid and foreign actors, lol bad.

This was no In Bruges. Been a horrible year for the Academies and most of the trash coming out of the UK. They talk about so-white. Maybe the politics is missing the reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Get Out 6/8 So far easily my favorite of those movies receiving Oscar nods in some major category and I genererally do not even watch Horror genre. Last line of the movie was great. Not a good year for me, movie wise. Still looking forward to seeing Logan, I Tanya. Not much interest in Thread, Call Me or Lady Bird.
I agree with your assessment of both films.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-03-18, 04:37 PM
arizonawildcat arizonawildcat is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-13-09
Posts: 6,865
arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Saw "Red Sparrow" yesterday. Movie seemd very long. I'd give it a 5.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-03-18, 05:22 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Better than PantherDad
Posts: 7,420
Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Get Out 6/8 So far easily my favorite of those movies receiving Oscar nods in some major category and I genererally do not even watch Horror genre. Last line of the movie was great. Not a good year for me, movie wise. Still looking forward to seeing Logan, I Tanya. Not much interest in Thread, Call Me or Lady Bird.
I, Tonya and Ladybird are great.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-03-18, 05:30 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 6,878
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Saw "Red Sparrow" yesterday. Movie seemd very long. I'd give it a 5.
J-Law looked great nude from the screencaps I saw.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-03-18, 05:36 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 3,994
Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Good to hear, her Fappening pics were so lame I couldn't even get off to them.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-03-18, 07:42 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 17,617
eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
I, Tonya and Ladybird are great.
Maybe I'll give that ladybird a try then. I doubt I'll watch the political hack fest that's about to happen tomorrow but I still like to get them in before the show.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-03-18, 08:45 PM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 4,888
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
I thought Lady Bird was average but not Oscar worthy. Get Out was the best Iíve seen of the Oscar nominated movies.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-03-18, 09:40 PM
buckeye53 buckeye53 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-30-14
Location: The Sierra Nevada, NorCal
Posts: 506
buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Finally got around to watching Deepwater Horizon, thought it was an excellent movie.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-04-18, 09:32 AM
Purplemojo Purplemojo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-20-08
Posts: 3,196
Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Broken Arrow (1950) - I am a sucker for a James Stewart film and this is one of his best westerns.

5/8
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-04-18, 09:36 AM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Posts: 3,684
irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Gotta tell everyone here that I appreciate all of your breakdowns. I base a lot of what I watch on what you all say in this thread. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-04-18, 10:17 AM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 17,617
eastisbest will become famous soon enough
I, Tonya 6/8 Seemed a bit long but up there with Get Out. Picking a fav, Get Out would probably still be the only one I can imagine watching again. The others nominees, one and done.

Janney still sounded to me like the West Wing character swearing a lot but Robbie though, easily the best performance I've seen of the lead actresses. Not even close. Completely different than any other character I've seen of hers. Different sound, look, expression. Acting. I've still not seen Ladybird, hope to get that one in.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-04-18, 12:15 PM
Purplemojo Purplemojo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-20-08
Posts: 3,196
Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
All Quite on the Western Front (1930) - A best picture winner, the version I saw was just on TCM and is known as the "International Sound Version" which is a hybrid silent/sound film. The funny thing about this film is that it has street sounds and war sounds and the only thing that was silent was the dialog. This allowed the film to be distributed internationally with the insertion of subtitles in various languages. I did not find the subtitles distracting at all and it is said that the nearly silent version is better than the full sound version.

This was one of the finest films I have ever seen. It depicts WWI in all of its horror. The acting is realistic, emotional and just outstanding, without the over acting that was common in older transitional films. Much of the imagery is downright poetic, like the image of the school teacher encouraging his students to join the war effort, raising to a fever pitch that would make a Pentecostal preacher jealous.

8/8

Last edited by Purplemojo; 03-04-18 at 10:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-04-18, 01:38 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Better than PantherDad
Posts: 7,420
Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I, Tonya 6/8 Seemed a bit long but up there with Get Out. Picking a fav, Get Out would probably still be the only one I can imagine watching again. The others nominees, one and done.

Janney still sounded to me like the West Wing character swearing a lot but Robbie though, easily the best performance I've seen of the lead actresses. Not even close. Completely different than any other character I've seen of hers. Different sound, look, expression. Acting. I've still not seen Ladybird, hope to get that one in.
Robbie and Janney should win tonight. Watch the 30 for 30 on this story and compare Harding's mannerisms to Robbie's in the movie... it's dead on.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-04-18, 02:25 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 17,617
eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Ladybird 7/8 Have to thank Descarte for the recommendation or I wouldn't have watched this on the description along. I wouldn't say it's a better movie than Get Out but I gave it one more point because I liked it a bit more. Two Academy movies now that I would watch again, with a lean towards Get Out because it pulled off something different and a type of movie that doesn't usually get Academy wins.

In a year of bad mom movies, this Mom was easily the hardest role to pull-off. The others were all so one-note. I thought they took this character one note too far but it was that scene which nailed it. I've not yet seen Blige or Manville but of the ones I've seen, IMO Metcalf should get this award.

Ronan, like Robbie has been great in so many different roles. I wouldn't be disappointed in either one winning but I don't think I could pick between them actingwise but probably pulling a bit for the home-girl.

In the "not nominated" category, I really liked both performances by Caleb Landry-Jones. Certainly more than Chalamet's small role in Lady Bird, though I've not seen his nominated role in Call Me

I've not seen Baby Driver but I know it was popular here. Is it surprising that it didn't get more nominations?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-04-18, 02:59 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Better than PantherDad
Posts: 7,420
Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Ladybird 7/8 Have to thank Descarte for the recommendation or I wouldn't have watched this on the description along. I wouldn't say it's a better movie than Get Out but I gave it one more point because I liked it a bit more. Two Academy movies now that I would watch again, with a lean towards Get Out because it pulled off something different and a type of movie that doesn't usually get Academy wins.

In a year of bad mom movies, this Mom was easily the hardest role to pull-off. The others were all so one-note. I thought they took this character one note too far but it was that scene which nailed it. I've not yet seen Blige or Manville but of the ones I've seen, IMO Metcalf should get this award.

Ronan, like Robbie has been great in so many different roles. I wouldn't be disappointed in either one winning but I don't think I could pick between them actingwise but probably pulling a bit for the home-girl.

In the "not nominated" category, I really liked both performances by Caleb Landry-Jones. Certainly more than Chalamet's small role in Lady Bird, though I've not seen his nominated role in Call Me

I've not seen Baby Driver but I know it was popular here. Is it surprising that it didn't get more nominations?
Baby Driver was great, not surprised it didnít get nominated bc of the fallout with Spacey.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-04-18, 09:20 PM
EagleGuy EagleGuy is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-26-16
Location: Liberty
Posts: 2,285
EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
All Quite on the Western Front (1930) - A best picture winner, the version I saw was just on TCM and is know as the "International Sound Version" which is a hybrid silent/sound film. The funny thing about this film is that it has street sounds and war sounds and the only thing that was silent was the dialog. This allowed the film to be distributed internationally with the insertion of subtitles in various languages. I did not find the subtitles distracting at all and it is said that the nearly silent version is better than the full sound version.

This was one of the finest films I have ever seen. It depicts WWI in all of its horror. The acting is realistic, emotional and just outstanding, without the over acting that was common in older transitional films. Much of the imagery is downright poetic, like the image of the school teacher encouraging his students to join the war effort, raising to a fever pitch that would make a Pentecostal preacher jealous.

8/8
Based on your critique, this one goes on my "must see" list. Thanks.

Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) - Marlon Brando, Trevor Howard and Richard Harris 7/8 It was a hard knock life.

The Yearling (1946) - Gregory Peck, Jane Wyman, Claude Jarman Jr. 6.5/8.0 Moving ahead in time, it's still a hard knock life.

Braveheart (1995) - Mel Gibson (actor and director) 7.5/8.0 And, it was a really hard knock life way back then.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-04-18, 09:29 PM
fish82 fish82 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-16-05
Location: Secure
Posts: 12,392
fish82 will become famous soon enough
Watched Lady Bird last night. 7.5/8 for me...simply fantastic movie.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-05-18, 05:46 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 23,781
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Based on your critique, this one goes on my "must see" list. Thanks.
PM is right, All Quiet on the Western Front holds up really well and is a true masterpiece. In it's time the movie had a huge impact on audiences around the world and contributed in no small way to the deep aversion to war that sprang up throughout Europe in the 1930's. The irony is that Hitler & the Nazis were able to take advantage of that sentiment in several of their "bloodless" conquests before the onset of WW2.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-05-18, 05:58 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 23,781
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
TCM is a treasure as it showcases so many great films. A couple I've rewatched over the last week:

Patton

8/8


Simply the best biography I have ever seen. It's also one of the best war movies to boot. Spectacular set pieces and a commanding performance by Scott set this movie apart.


Gandhi

8/8


A great epic that is underappreciated IMO. It's my 2nd favorite biography of all time coming in right behind Patton. Ben Kingsley's performance is incredible. The scene where the British officer is being questioned over his role in a slaughter of unarmed civilians is a study in intense self restraint. It absolutely bristles with suppressed energy & rage. Brilliant film making.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-05-18, 10:28 AM
Purplemojo Purplemojo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-20-08
Posts: 3,196
Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Ox-Bow Incident (1943) - Nominated for Best Picture, it lost to Casablanca. It is a dark but very moving film which is sparse and tight with the only extraneous scene being one that introduces a tangential love interest which adds nothing to the story. Henry Fonda is great in his role and Harry Morgan (COL Potter of MASH) makes a good side-kick.

6.5/8
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-05-18, 11:37 AM
BlueJayFan BlueJayFan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-23-14
Posts: 4,784
BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
Watched Lady Bird last night. 7.5/8 for me...simply fantastic movie.
Laurie Metcalf was robbed all award season. She was amazing in it
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-05-18, 11:44 AM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Better than PantherDad
Posts: 7,420
Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
Laurie Metcalf was robbed all award season. She was amazing in it
She was, but Allison Janey was just a bit better.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-05-18, 01:34 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 35,668
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Atomic Shark (2016)

SciFy/Horror: I was going to watch something else but I panicked thinking that I might not like it so I decided to watch Atomic Shark knowing that I would not like it..... don't ask, it makes sense to me and that all that matters..... OK, nothing to like at all here.... lifeguards discover that a shark is eating swimmers but this is not a normal shark, it is atomic and is reaching critical mass. A couple of nice looking females could not save this one for me... ok, well they kept it from being a 0.5.... this one gets a 1.0/8
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-05-18, 02:33 PM
fish82 fish82 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-16-05
Location: Secure
Posts: 12,392
fish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
Laurie Metcalf was robbed all award season. She was amazing in it
That's the first thing I said as the credits rolled...basically that Janey was no longer a lock for Supporting Actress.

Still think Janey deserved it, tho.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-05-18, 03:16 PM
BlueJayFan BlueJayFan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-23-14
Posts: 4,784
BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Ladybird 7/8 Have to thank Descarte for the recommendation or I wouldn't have watched this on the description along. I wouldn't say it's a better movie than Get Out but I gave it one more point because I liked it a bit more. Two Academy movies now that I would watch again, with a lean towards Get Out because it pulled off something different and a type of movie that doesn't usually get Academy wins.

In a year of bad mom movies, this Mom was easily the hardest role to pull-off. The others were all so one-note. I thought they took this character one note too far but it was that scene which nailed it. I've not yet seen Blige or Manville but of the ones I've seen, IMO Metcalf should get this award.

Ronan, like Robbie has been great in so many different roles. I wouldn't be disappointed in either one winning but I don't think I could pick between them actingwise but probably pulling a bit for the home-girl.

In the "not nominated" category, I really liked both performances by Caleb Landry-Jones. Certainly more than Chalamet's small role in Lady Bird, though I've not seen his nominated role in Call Me

I've not seen Baby Driver but I know it was popular here. Is it surprising that it didn't get more nominations?
Baby Driver was very good, but due to the Kevin Spacey stuff and it being an action movie, it didn't get a lot of love
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-05-18, 04:40 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Posts: 9,695
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
3 Billboards 4/8 One of those, let's make everyone as quirky as we can because it's easy and not have an ending kind of movie, exactly what I don't particularly like so a few points lost, because I didn't like it. Still, some parts impressed me as well done. The scenery and shots hit the mood well. Acting was either brilliant or horrible. I thought Harrelson was great. Some serious holes left in the plot, which director usually puts of as "for the audiences imagination but these were bad. Some of the on-line complaints thogh, should go back and listen to Harrleson's "note." Several of the holes filled in if attention is paid to that.

McDorman and Rockwell went full re--rd, eh. I thought they could have toned it down a bit and it would have kept me in the movie and characters. Instead I just rolled my eyes, said they wouldn't last a day around here. Most of the kid and foreign actors, lol bad.

This was no In Bruges. Been a horrible year for the Academies and most of the trash coming out of the UK. They talk about so-white. Maybe the politics is missing the reality.
LOL.... I was just having a discussion with someone where I mentioned you should never win for doing that.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-09-18, 01:14 AM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: the Reds will be fine.
Posts: 17,423
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Red Sparrow - 4/8

Plot kind of sucked and all the sex scenes had sort of a rapey vibe or were totally unnecessary/did not fit. The slut academy part ended too soon and made no sense. Wasn't horrible though, decent flick on a Thursday night. Atomic Blonde is supposed to be the better version of this movie so I'll probably watch that in the next few days.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Movies Did You Watch in February 2018? vamp2syd General Board 88 02-28-18 10:35 AM
What Movies Did You Watch in January 2018? vamp2syd General Board 171 02-02-18 05:33 PM
Prep Hoops Ohio (Rankings) Krasula24 Boys Basketball 3 02-01-18 08:54 AM
Wolverine-Buckeye tournaments - Over 1,000 entries for 2018 already Wolverine-Buckeye TC Baseball 0 12-28-17 11:21 PM
What Movies Did You Watch in November 2017? vamp2syd General Board 47 12-02-17 12:18 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz