Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-01-18, 11:38 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by member1 View Post
Are you saying that Dunbar was trying to gain an advantage by not having a JV kid sit?

Here my 2 cents...

1. Oversight by the AD, No one thought that the JV issue was a prevailing factor. "Hey it was a JV game" mindset probably in play here.. I bet you Talyor or no one on that staff was thinking about the OHSAA suspension process for the JV team players. Unfortunate but also unacceptable. Somebody should be watching this.

2. Somebody pulled this one out of the A- -, and was waiting until the playoffs to let the OHSAA know . Probably someone from within DPS too, which makes it even more of a travesty. An anonymous call or email, popped up on the OHSAA radar and they started licking their chops...."Dunbar again" and dished out the consequence with no hesitation.

3. I also heard from various sources the kids in question received only mop-up minutes in Varsity games and were no real significant contributors to the varsity team. How do you miss this??? Sad but reality..

Shame on the the secret "snitch" for waiting until now but to keep it 100...Shame on Dunbar admin again for letting something like this happen...
It's simple....follow the rules and this doesn't happen. It happened in football a couple years ago and now they let it happen again. Maybe the DPS should have more competent people running programs that involve kids.....because it sure seems like the people they have there now are doing a pretty suckish job of it.
Old 03-01-18, 11:38 AM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by uselessknowledge View Post
The AD has to get a paper signed by said kid acknowledging that he had been suspended. Both him and Coach are responsible.

They both should have known and both should of had that student sitting in street cloths for 2 games. You don't even risk it.
All I am really saying is the AD could have done their job here...big if I know. However the coach knew, it's game night and he let someone dress and play that wasn't supposed to. Its not like the AD should have to walk into the locker room to make sure his coach is being a pro. There has to be a level of trust and professional behavior. Thus my comment about the coach being the final point of execution of rules.
Old 03-01-18, 11:45 AM
Freshman

WYNgrad is on a distinguished road
Yes youíre correct. But even newsprint, not all facts are there. Just saying 👍
Old 03-01-18, 11:51 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Read the quote from Dr. Ross about how many times the school was contacted about the suspensions.......

There's a lot of blame to spread around here..... The OHSAA isn't part of that blame.
Old 03-01-18, 11:58 AM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Read the quote from Dr. Ross about how many times the school was contacted about the suspensions.......

There's a lot of blame to spread around here..... The OHSAA isn't part of that blame.
seven times... another reason while DPS is a disaster and terrible school district.
Old 03-01-18, 12:34 PM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
seven times... another reason while DPS is a disaster and terrible school district.
If that is true and I certainly believe it then they should all be accountable. What a joke.......
Old 03-01-18, 12:47 PM
All District

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Maybe Dunbar did not want to play a solid gcl-coed team like the Fenwick Falcons.
Old 03-01-18, 01:02 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Release from the OHSAA:

Quote:
Dayton Dunbar Removed from OHSAA Boys Basketball Tournament

Use of ineligible player in tournament victory results in forfeiture; Dayton Thurgood Marshall will replace Dunbar on bracket

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Dayton Dunbar High School was removed from the Ohio High School Athletic Association boys basketball tournament Wednesday after the OHSAA confirmed Dunbar used an ineligible player in a tournament game. By rule, Dunbar will be replaced on the bracket by the most recent team it defeated in the tournament, which is Dayton Thurgood Marshall High School.

The ineligibility stems from a bench-clearing fight on January 10 during a regular-season game between Dunbar and Thurgood Marshall. Seven Dunbar players left the bench during the altercation, but the school failed to suspend the players for two games, which is mandated by national rule. The OHSAA made seven documented attempts to communicate with the school regarding the mandated suspensions. However, the suspensions were not served, resulting in forfeiture and removal from the tournament when one of the ineligible players participated in a tournament game.

Thurgood Marshall players also left the bench during the January 10 fight, but the school properly suspended those players in consultation with school administrators and the district athletic administrator.

“We never want to remove a team from the tournament, but the school’s inability to follow proper procedure and communicate is disturbing,” said Dr. Dan Ross, OHSAA Executive Director. “Sitting out two games for fighting, or leaving the bench during a fight, is a rule that all our coaches and schools know. It’s a rule that we communicate many times each season. We are disappointed that the school could not follow through with our repeated attempts to bring a resolution to this matter in the last seven weeks.”

Dunbar is therefore publicly reprimanded for lack of administrative responsibility and institutional control for failure to properly respond to this issue. Because this occurred while Dayton Public Schools, including Dunbar, are already serving penalties for a previous incident from October 2016, the OHSAA will meet soon with school and district administrators to discuss the matter further.
Old 03-01-18, 02:33 PM
All District

Groundhog Day is on a distinguished road
Disturbing on Multiple Levels

1. Some on here have almost try to blame this on others (.."they sat on it" etc.) yet obviously Dunbar SAT on it by ignoring OHSAA communication. Doesn't matter what who knew, when they knew or whatever, DUNBAR didn't do their job.
2. OHSAA says Thurgood Marshall complied in conjunction with Administration and District Adminimstration (gotta assume Baker)., WHY NOT in Dunbar's case.
3. "Kid only was JV player in mop-up play" like that doesn't matter. What the perception is that Dunbar coaches don't care about the rule (note I said PERCEPTION). If they don't care about this "little" rule (my term here) why should they care about bigger issues.
4. "OHSAA just like is NCAA is CORRUPT." No HS coach is getting rich (especially DPS), no typical HS athletic program is getting rich, and the primary goal of schools are to EDUCATE (colleges have long ago sold their soul on that).
5. JV and Head Coach at fault for not following rules. AD at fault for signing off on tourney roster (could've asked for verification player(s) sat).
6. You're ON PROBATION and yet you still make a mistake.
Old 03-01-18, 02:51 PM
Varsity

Sheb Wooley is on a distinguished road
As I stated earlier, this is an administrative issue. And yes, administrators make very good money. The school was contacted 7 times!!

As for comparing the OHSAA to the NCAA, it seems that EVERYONE gets punished instead of the individual/individuals who caused the problem.
Old 03-01-18, 03:11 PM
All District

fangwoc is on a distinguished road
I don't see how Baker survives this one. Of course I don't see how he survived telling Dunbar to throw the football game.

When is it enough? No playoff games the past couple years and now no district or regional track meets because of the "lack of institutional control" AKA MARK BAKER!

Who suffers...KIDS! That is so unfortunate for the kids! Coaches and the great "Athletic Administrator" if you can call Baker that screwed this one up!

Those kids that didn't sit out will have to sit out next season wherever they play! Hopefully DPS/Dunbar can get the memo, maybe OHSAA has to send it 8 times for them to acknowledge the rule.

Every coach in America knows that if any players leave the bench- you are done for 2 games. If a coach leaves the bench- they have to take a anger management class, pay a fine and serve a suspension.

It will be interesting to see what the OHSAA does. Do they impose another fine? Do they boot all DPS teams from the OHSAA or just Dunbar? Mark Baker should loose his license and never be aloud to work in Athletics again. He is incompetent.

The OHSAA was already watching DPS Athletics very closely, if you thought the hammer was brought with the football fiasco, just wait - this will get ugly.
Old 03-01-18, 03:56 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
The guy should have been ashamed of himself after the footbal fiasco. Now this? It's just unbelievable! The kids hopefully learned a lesson from this- you can make a "mistake" (fight during game) and as long as you own up to it and accept your punishment (sitting out) you move on and get a second chance. If you don't own up to your mistake- it will catch up to you.
Old 03-01-18, 04:35 PM
All American

member1 is on a distinguished road
Something fishy about this.. Stay tuned....
Old 03-01-18, 05:26 PM
All Ohio

playboi12 is on a distinguished road
I swear, whenever I think DPS and Dunbar can't go any lower, they replace the drill head.
Old 03-01-18, 05:27 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
No thanks- seen enough. Adults failing kids this way makes me sick to my stomach. The football cheating last year was the worst, I thought...
Old 03-01-18, 07:22 PM
All District

Groundhog Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Something fishy about this.. Stay tuned....
Didn't get much info from Super's press conference. Only 2 things she said were to announce OHSAA suspension (duh) and that DPS takes "exception" to that. When asked "takes exception to what", the answer is NO COMMENT. Pretty much rest on press conference is NO COMMENT.

Someone knows something, spit it out.
Old 03-01-18, 09:07 PM
All Ohio

John336 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog Day View Post
Didn't get much info from Super's press conference. Only 2 things she said were to announce OHSAA suspension (duh) and that DPS takes "exception" to that. When asked "takes exception to what", the answer is NO COMMENT. Pretty much rest on press conference is NO COMMENT.

Someone knows something, spit it out.
Word is Baker and Phillips are going back and forth on who was suppose to do what. Just a parade of incompetence and they need to get rid of Baker and Phillips
Old 03-01-18, 10:00 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
If a player gets "tossed" (i.e. ejected), they cannot play/dress in any contest at all levels until two contests at the level of the ejection are completed. They also cannot play/dress the rest of that day. It's not brain surgery people. No excuse for it, period. This is OHSAA 101 folks.
Old 03-01-18, 10:24 PM
All Ohio

Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Are you saying that Dunbar was trying to gain an advantage by not having a JV kid sit?

2. Somebody pulled this one out of the A- -, and was waiting until the playoffs to let the OHSAA know . Probably someone from within DPS too, which makes it even more of a travesty. An anonymous call or email, popped up on the OHSAA radar and they started licking their chops...."Dunbar again" and dished out the consequence with no hesitation.
That's fiction.

Not suspending the players made them ineligible for the postseason.

Playing ineligible players in the tournament resulted in forfeit.

There's no snitch, no anonymous last-minute call or e-mail. There wasn't any formal action until now because the OHSAA had no grounds to act. Until the tournament all the association could do was remind the school of its obligation, which they did repeatedly. The school wasn't ineligible for the postseason at that point, only the players in question. Once those players played in the postseason the school was disqualified.
Old 03-01-18, 10:29 PM
Success is Tradition!

just a fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog Day View Post
3. "Kid only was JV player in mop-up play" like that doesn't matter.
The way I read it, it isn't one kid, but rather multiple kids....

"Seven Dunbar players left the bench during the altercation, but the school failed to suspend the players (plural) for two games, which is mandated by national rule. The OHSAA made seven documented attempts to communicate with the school regarding the mandated suspensions (plural). However, the suspensions (plural) were not served"
Old 03-01-18, 10:41 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
That's fiction.

There's no snitch, no anonymous last-minute call or e-mail. There wasn't any formal action until now because the OHSAA had no grounds to act. Until the tournament all the association could do was remind the school of its obligation, which they did repeatedly. The school wasn't ineligible for the postseason at that point, only the players in question. Once those players played in the postseason the school was disqualified.
Correct. Everyone wants to blame others or create a non-existent conspiracy theory. It's not hard. They provided them SEVEN chances to do the right thing
Old 03-01-18, 10:43 PM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
That's fiction.

Yeoman--couldn't be said any better--BINGO
Old 03-02-18, 12:47 AM
Varsity

1 time is on a distinguished road
When you put a bunch of AAU coaches in charge of some of your athletic programs, this is what you get. I know it's a different world for some, but put professional, educationed people in charge of your programs and things will be better at the end of the day !
Old 03-02-18, 06:31 AM
All American

cphslFan is on a distinguished road
Wow a difference of a few years make. Dunbar was state ranked and top program in D2. Now on probation. I agree the student athletes suffer
Old 03-02-18, 06:57 AM
All District

COFan
Are all the games that any of the players, who did not serve their suspension, forfeited? Could OHSAA have issued suspensions during the regular season to get the attention this matter deserved? I offer no excuses for Dunbar -they deserve none, but OHSAA should have started handing out forfeits after the first warning not the seventh.
Old 03-02-18, 07:10 AM
All American

cincyhoops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by COFan View Post
Are all the games that any of the players, who did not serve their suspension, forfeited? Could OHSAA have issued suspensions during the regular season to get the attention this matter deserved? I offer no excuses for Dunbar -they deserve none, but OHSAA should have started handing out forfeits after the first warning not the seventh.
Suspensions are handed out immediately after being ejected for leaving the bench. Everyone knows this. Apparently Dunbar chose not to follow the suspensions and let the players play anyway is what is sounds like.
Old 03-02-18, 07:29 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post

There's a lot of blame but it really doesn't seem like there's a lot of spread to it, does it? Fairly narrow list of responsibles.
Old 03-02-18, 07:41 AM
All Ohio

ilikefootball10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by COFan View Post
I find it funny that OHSAA let a January incident continue that long. Also why punish West Carrolton (1st rd game) and not put the hammer down then?

And the forfeit comes down after they beat the one team that knew the most about the incident
Old 03-02-18, 07:57 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikefootball10 View Post
I find it funny that OHSAA let a January incident continue that long. Also why punish West Carrolton (1st rd game) and not put the hammer down then?

And the forfeit comes down after they beat the one team that knew the most about the incident
I'm with you on this one.

If it was a cut and dried thing, no option but to suspend players, then why allow so many games and so much time to pass before putting the hammer down?

Was Dunbar inadvertently the victim of OHSAA wanting to appear soft on the issue until they no longer had no choice once the kids from a similar sub culture were involved in Thurgood Marshall?

My two major questions are why Dunbar did not act immediately following the first warning from OHSAA? Second, why did OHSAA issue seven warnings for an offense that they knew would eventually result in expulsion of the team from the tournament?
Old 03-02-18, 07:59 AM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Good grief, the school didn't follow the rules, rules that they should have been aware of [it is a National rule] and because they didn't follow the rules, they suffered the penalty. The other school that also was part of the fracas, followed the rules, knew the players should have been suspended and were not, may or may not have turned them in; BUT the OHSAA contacted them 7 times and still they couldn't follow the rules.
Dunbar is responsible, period; stop blaming other people for Dunbar's violation, this was not some obscure rule and in addition were made aware of it by the OHSAA 7 times.