Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who will win each district in the DIV Bowling Green?
[Elida] Antwerp (Antwerp) 1 5.56%
[Elida] Ayersville (Defiance) 0 0%
[Elida] Continental (Continental) 0 0%
[Elida] Crestview (Convoy) 13 72.22%
[Elida] Fort Jennings (Fort Jennings) 0 0%
[Elida] Hicksville (Hicksville) 0 0%
[Elida] Lincolnview (Van Wert) 0 0%
[Elida] Ottoville (Ottoville) 0 0%
[Elida] Parkway (Rockford) 0 0%
[Elida] St John's (Delphos) 0 0%
[Elida] Wayne Trace (Haviland) 2 11.11%
[Findlay] Arcadia (Arcadia) 0 0%
[Findlay] Columbus Grove (Columbus Grove) 1 5.56%
[Findlay] Cory-Rawson (Rawson) 0 0%
[Findlay] Holgate (Holgate) 1 5.56%
[Findlay] Kalida (Kalida) 2 11.11%
[Findlay] Leipsic (Leipsic) 0 0%
[Findlay] Mc Comb (Mc Comb) 0 0%
[Findlay] Miller City (Miller City) 0 0%
[Findlay] North Baltimore (North Baltimore) 0 0%
[Findlay] Pandora-Gilboa (Pandora) 9 50.00%
[Findlay] Patrick Henry (Hamler) 0 0%
[Fostoria] Arlington (Arlington) 6 33.33%
[Fostoria] Calvert (Tiffin) 1 5.56%
[Fostoria] Hardin Northern (Dola) 0 0%
[Fostoria] Hopewell-Loudon (Bascom) 1 5.56%
[Fostoria] Mohawk (Sycamore) 0 0%
[Fostoria] New Riegel (New Riegel) 0 0%
[Fostoria] Old Fort (Tiffin) 1 5.56%
[Fostoria] Riverdale (Mt. Blanchard) 0 0%
[Fostoria] Seneca East (Attica) 0 0%
[Fostoria] St Joseph Central Catholic (Fremont) 3 16.67%
[Fostoria] Vanlue (Vanlue) 0 0%
[Napolean] Edgerton (Edgerton) 0 0%
[Napolean] Edon (Edon) 0 0%
[Napolean] Emmanuel Christian School (Toledo) 0 0%
[Napolean] Fayette (Fayette) 0 0%
[Napolean] Hilltop (West Unity) 1 5.56%
[Napolean] Maumee Valley Country Day (Toledo) 2 11.11%
[Napolean] Montpelier (Montpelier) 0 0%
[Napolean] North Central (Pioneer) 0 0%
[Napolean] Ottawa Hills (Toledo) 0 0%
[Napolean] Pettisville (Pettisville) 6 33.33%
[Napolean] Stryker (Stryker) 1 5.56%
[Napolean] Toledo Christian (Toledo) 3 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-18, 09:18 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKnowIt View Post
Cornerstone is coming out of cleveland and I don't think Loramie or Crestview will beat them...not sure if either of them will come within 15
Corrnerstone lost to Stritch....though I think C-stone was missing a couple guys. If Crestview and Loramie show up they are as good as Stritch, if not better. Stritch's record is deceiving...they play in an awful league and get ot beat everyone twice. Give them Crestview's schedule and I think they win 15-16 games max
Old 03-03-18, 10:26 AM
All Region

Smalls is on a distinguished road
Cornerstone was not missing anyone vs Stritch.
Old 03-05-18, 08:49 AM
Junior Varsity

UKnowIt is on a distinguished road
Pettisville got upset Friday night. Crestview struggled against Parkway. NW regional still wide open?

Liberty Benton:
Miller City vs Pandora Gilboa
Kalida vs Columbus Grove

Fostoria:
Old Fort vs Arlington
Mohawk vs New Reigel

Elida:
Crestview vs Ottoville
Wayne Trace vs Hicksville

Napoleon:
Toledo Christian vs Edgerton
Ottawa Hills vs Maumee Valley Country Day

Should be interesting games on Tuesday. WIll there be anymore upsets? Ottoville over Crestview? Miller City over PG?
Old 03-05-18, 09:51 AM
All District

Cardboard Palace is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Pettisville got upset Friday night. Crestview struggled against Parkway. NW regional still wide open?

Liberty Benton:
Kalida vs Columbus Grove

Fostoria:
Old Fort vs Arlington
Mohawk vs New Reigel

Elida:
Crestview vs Ottoville

Napoleon:

Should be interesting games on Tuesday. WIll there be anymore upsets? Ottoville over Crestview? Miller City over PG?
I like Toledo Christian over Edgerton.

Edgerton's win vs Pettisville was their 1st win against a team with a non losing record, 0-11 prior to that game. TC is disciplined and well coached.

I just can't pick the Maumee Valley vs Ottawa Hills game.

OH is well coached, not flashy and seem to be playing a little above their talent.

Maumee Valley shows flashes in every game of how good they can be, but have too many lapses. Missing Woodley hurts too.
Old 03-05-18, 10:24 AM
All District

thereckoning is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Liberty Benton:
Kalida vs Columbus Grove

Fostoria:
Old Fort vs Arlington
Mohawk vs New Reigel

Elida:
Crestview vs Ottoville

Napoleon:

PG
Kalida

Arlington
New Riegel

Crestview
Hicksville

Edgerton
Country Day
Old 03-05-18, 11:48 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereckoning View Post
PG
Kalida

Arlington
New Riegel

Crestview
Hicksville

Edgerton
Country Day
The Liberty Benton and Elida Districts could be real interesting....at LB, I think any of the 4 teams could come out of there...and I'm not sure it would be considered a huge upset no matter who it is...though PG probably has to be considered the favorite. Grove is playing really well right....wouldn't surprise me to see them making it to the Regional

At Elida...I think it would take the best game they've ever played for Ottoville to get by Crestview....but it's a possibility

I think Wayne Trace takes down Hicksville.....

I think the winners of those two districts will be playing for a trip to Columbus....don't see the Napoleon or Fostoria district champs being much of a factor....but as they say....that's why they play the games
Old 03-05-18, 02:45 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
The Liberty Benton and Elida Districts could be real interesting....at LB, I think any of the 4 teams could come out of there...and I'm not sure it would be considered a huge upset no matter who it is...though PG probably has to be considered the favorite. Grove is playing really well right....wouldn't surprise me to see them making it to the Regional

At Elida...I think it would take the best game they've ever played for Ottoville to get by Crestview....but it's a possibility

I think Wayne Trace takes down Hicksville.....

I think the winners of those two districts will be playing for a trip to Columbus....don't see the Napoleon or Fostoria district champs being much of a factor....but as they say....that's why they play the games
I personally think you are correct. The LB and Elida districts are stacked. I won't count out Kalida to knock off PG, but I think PG and Crestview will be playing in regionals.

At Elida, we are maybe looking at 3 or 4 teams that could make a state run. Hicksville has their post back(top two player on their team), who was out during their losing skid. Hes extremely tough. This is why I give them the edge. Crestview got an early scare. Makes them more dangerous, not looking ahead. Ottoville is playing great ball. Thier mix of freshman and seniors makes for a balanced attack of youth and experience.

If you are a small school basketball fan, Elida may be the place to be on Tuesday and Friday night.
Old 03-06-18, 09:18 AM
Junior Varsity

braygatron4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Liberty Benton:
Kalida vs Columbus Grove

Fostoria:
Old Fort vs Arlington
Mohawk vs New Reigel

Elida:
Crestview vs Ottoville

Napoleon:

With Ottoville's length, they match up pretty decently with Crestview. Beating FJ by 20 is no joke, and with Crestview doing the minimum to get by Parkway, this game could be more interesting than people think.

For WT-Hicksville, Hicksville is playing as good as anyone right now with their shooting, and their five-out offense could really cause problems for WT..Really think this game is a toss up, could go either way, although coaching edge goes to WT..

Edgerton doesn't have the athletes, but as you saw against pettisville, wouldn't be smart to bet against Ripke. Two phenomenal coaches going at it with him and McWhinnie, would love to watch this game..this game will be close.

Ottawa Hills over MVCD, discipline and smart basketball wins games in March, flashiness wins games in AAU.

I would say P-G-Kalida would be a good district final game, but in the PCL any team can beat anyone on any given night.

And no one really cares about the Fostoria district because that thing is weeeeaaaakkkkkk.
Old 03-06-18, 09:48 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by braygatron4 View Post
With Ottoville's length, they match up pretty decently with Crestview. Beating FJ by 20 is no joke, and with Crestview doing the minimum to get by Parkway, this game could be more interesting than people think.

For WT-Hicksville, Hicksville is playing as good as anyone right now with their shooting, and their five-out offense could really cause problems for WT..Really think this game is a toss up, could go either way, although coaching edge goes to WT..

Edgerton doesn't have the athletes, but as you saw against pettisville, wouldn't be smart to bet against Ripke. Two phenomenal coaches going at it with him and McWhinnie, would love to watch this game..this game will be close.

Ottawa Hills over MVCD, discipline and smart basketball wins games in March, flashiness wins games in AAU.

I would say P-G-Kalida would be a good district final game, but in the PCL any team can beat anyone on any given night.

And no one really cares about the Fostoria district because that thing is weeeeaaaakkkkkk.
We will know more after tonight! I would say that the Elida district semis may have two nearly sold out venues. Alot of communities that believe their teams can advance to regionals and beyond.
Old 03-06-18, 10:22 AM
Junior Varsity

D1nwobb is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Liberty Benton:
Kalida vs Columbus Grove

Fostoria:
Old Fort vs Arlington
Mohawk vs New Reigel

Elida:
Crestview vs Ottoville

Napoleon:

Games at Napoleon are Wednesday night.
Old 03-07-18, 12:24 AM
Junior Varsity

Soooo Crestview-Ottoville turned out to be one of the best high school basketball games I've ever seen. Such a phenomenal game. Hate to see either team lose.
Thoughts:
In the first quarter, Crestview looked way better than 2014 team that won state. Then they kind of fell off a bit. Started up 17-5 and let Ottoville back in..
Ottoville has a real bright future with Thorbahn being a freshman. Ball was in his hands every possession. Stinks that the other freshman went down early with a knee injury.
The steal/drain a three/steal/pump up the crowd/drain two free throws sequence from Bendele late in the fourth to go up three was amazing to watch. Little scrawny guy caught fire and made six 3's in the second half
I don't know if this was an outlier game, but does J. Etzler ever drive to the basket? Took 14 shots tonight...ALL THREE POINTERS. The dude is 6'7"...why did he not look to attack?? If he's MAC caliber (which he certainly can be with his size and shooting ability), he miiiighhht have to learn to attack the basket some. I dont know maybe that's just me.
The Kline kid hit the biggest shot of the night with his three with 10 seconds left to send it to another overtime. Unreal shot. So fun to watch. Scrappy as hell, always on the floor. Dude made a behind the back pass in double OT of a district semi game. Who has the balls to do that? Crazy good stuff out of him..
The Sheets kid is a straight up punk. Some of the crap he did tonight was ridiculous. Got a warning early in the game, then bodied an Ottoville kid that was trying to help up a Crestview player...not a great look.
Crowd for this game was incredible. Packed to the top on both sides. The second game had maybe 60% of this crowd.

But yeah, heck of a game. Wish it never ended. Actually thought it wasn't going to.

Hicksville took care of WT, but Crestview is just on another level. And with the regional tournament likely being easier than this District tourney...Crestview's trip to Cbus is a definite reality.
Old 03-07-18, 09:13 AM
All District

Quote:
Soooo Crestview-Ottoville turned out to be one of the best high school basketball games I've ever seen. Such a phenomenal game. Hate to see either team lose.
Thoughts:
In the first quarter, Crestview looked way better than 2014 team that won state. Then they kind of fell off a bit. Started up 17-5 and let Ottoville back in..
Ottoville has a real bright future with Thorbahn being a freshman. Ball was in his hands every possession. Stinks that the other freshman went down early with a knee injury.
The steal/drain a three/steal/pump up the crowd/drain two free throws sequence from Bendele late in the fourth to go up three was amazing to watch. Little scrawny guy caught fire and made six 3's in the second half
I don't know if this was an outlier game, but does J. Etzler ever drive to the basket? Took 14 shots tonight...ALL THREE POINTERS. The dude is 6'7"...why did he not look to attack?? If he's MAC caliber (which he certainly can be with his size and shooting ability), he miiiighhht have to learn to attack the basket some. I dont know maybe that's just me.
The Kline kid hit the biggest shot of the night with his three with 10 seconds left to send it to another overtime. Unreal shot. So fun to watch. Scrappy as hell, always on the floor. Dude made a behind the back pass in double OT of a district semi game. Who has the balls to do that? Crazy good stuff out of him..
The Sheets kid is a straight up punk. Some of the crap he did tonight was ridiculous. Got a warning early in the game, then bodied an Ottoville kid that was trying to help up a Crestview player...not a great look.
Crowd for this game was incredible. Packed to the top on both sides. The second game had maybe 60% of this crowd.

But yeah, heck of a game. Wish it never ended. Actually thought it wasn't going to.

Hicksville took care of WT, but Crestview is just on another level. And with the regional tournament likely being easier than this District tourney...Crestview's trip to Cbus is a definite reality.
Game of the year as the papers are calling it.

A few thoughts: Bendele, Kemper, Moorman played their hearts out as seniors. I could be missing a few. Bendele refused to quit, hitting clutch shot after shot. Thorbahn is maybe the best frosh around. He was face guarded all night and still managed a good outing.

J Etzler's game seems to be from beyond the arc. He will need to modify his senior year, but rumor has it that he is getting looks from everywhere. And he can shoot from anywhere in the gym. Had quite a few rebounds but needs to play inside.

Kline is a game changer. Hard to find more heart in anyone on the floor. His three was fantastic.

Sheets has been somewhat of an enforcer all year. He bodied up Kemper after Kemper put Kline on the ground. I wouldn't call that punk. I would call that protecting his point guard and his Quarterback next year. He loses his head sometimes but is a solid kid from what I hear. Football mentality in his play. Getting recruited all over for his football play. This Crestview team plays physical.

The Hicksville/WT game was exciting through 3 quarters with WT making a comeback. However, the Thiel/Turnbull/Tunis are game changers. The Tunis kid jumping center to start the game at 5'9 is ridiculous. What an athlete. I think Friday's game will be another thriller. But Crestview looks determined.
Old 03-07-18, 09:33 AM
Junior Varsity

UKnowIt is on a distinguished road
Two games and two times the knights have been living on the edge. I can see this two different ways.

A. They will be battled tested and they will just start getting it into gear and win some blowouts over the next week.
B. They are flirting with danger and will get beat in a game that they should have won.

its tournament and anything is possible, props to Etzler and Cline hitting big time shots in the moment.

LB had some fantastic games last night as well. Sounds like the PG/Kalida game could be a war on Friday night.
Old 03-07-18, 11:13 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Two games and two times the knights have been living on the edge. I can see this two different ways.

A. They will be battled tested and they will just start getting it into gear and win some blowouts over the next week.
B. They are flirting with danger and will get beat in a game that they should have won.

its tournament and anything is possible, props to Etzler and Cline hitting big time shots in the moment.

LB had some fantastic games last night as well. Sounds like the PG/Kalida game could be a war on Friday night.
I'm going to go with Option A. Only because their Regional will actually be easier than their District. Parkway-Ottoville-Hicksville is much tougher than the Napoleon/Findlay district winners.
Old 03-07-18, 11:22 AM
All District

Quote:
I'm going to go with Option A. Only because their Regional will actually be easier than their District. Parkway-Ottoville-Hicksville is much tougher than the Napoleon/Findlay district winners.
I tend to agree. In fact, the Parkway game in a hard fought and hostile environment could have made the difference last night.

A bit shocked that Kalida went to double OT vs. Grove. Crestview just dominated Grove on Grove's floor a little over a week ago. But, any given night, things can change.

Can't take anything away from any of these programs. I just see Crestview staring down a shot at the state semis if they keep playing with that determination.
Old 03-07-18, 01:05 PM
Junior Varsity

allohiotraveler is on a distinguished road
I was really shocked seeing Crestview's close game as well.... I see they did play well early. But again, this is why they aren't better than the state team of 2014 yet. They are of course all juniors basically within their nucleus so they have time to grow. However, I do think the regional final will be a great game now. I'm very interesting with how it will all go over.
Old 03-07-18, 04:03 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by allohiotraveler View Post
I was really shocked seeing Crestview's close game as well.... I see they did play well early. But again, this is why they aren't better than the state team of 2014 yet. They are of course all juniors basically within their nucleus so they have time to grow. However, I do think the regional final will be a great game now. I'm very interesting with how it will all go over.
Grab a ticket to the game in Elida on Friday night. I'll be heading there again! This time for one game. Should be a really good game. Hicksville has its full roster back (the one that was state ranked and undefeated before the injury bug). Everyone is aiming for this Crestview team. I believe with the Stout kid playing center and the Gibson kid coming off the bench, this is as deep a team as you will see Crestview have. Next year they will return a nucleus but be thin off the bench. You may change your mind about whether this team or the 2014 team is better
Old 03-08-18, 08:17 AM
All District

Cardboard Palace is on a distinguished road
Toledo Christian vs Maumee Valley in the Napoleon district final. Should be another good game. They split during the regular season.

Maumee Valley soph. guard Zeb Jackson has two more offers from Dayton and Cincinnati.
Old 03-08-18, 11:40 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Maumee Valley Country Day 56
Toledo Ottawa Hills 47

Did they play an AAU game or was MVCD more disciplined?
Old 03-08-18, 02:26 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Palace View Post
Toledo Christian vs Maumee Valley in the Napoleon district final. Should be another good game. They split during the regular season.

Maumee Valley soph. guard Zeb Jackson has two more offers from Dayton and Cincinnati.
Interesting. Seems to be one of the top guard prospects in Ohio in the 2020 class. Looking forward to seeing him play
Old 03-08-18, 03:04 PM
All American

Not doubting this kid is a great player....you don't get offers from D1's as a sophomore if you're not, but if he makes it past TC, he'll get a little bit more defensive pressure in the regional than he's seen with MVCD's schedule this season
Old 03-08-18, 06:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
Not doubting this kid is a great player....you don't get offers from D1's as a sophomore if you're not, but if he makes it past TC, he'll get a little bit more defensive pressure in the regional than he's seen with MVCD's schedule this season
and.... ? Valid comment but it seemed to have been made to make a point? What should be expected?
Old 03-09-18, 08:31 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Toledo Ottawa Hills 47

Ya win some ya lose some
Old 03-09-18, 02:37 PM
All District

J.R. Swish is on a distinguished road
Wow, the Crestview love on here is pretty strong. I think some may be selling the winner of Tol Christian and MVCD a bit short. They are in a good league that includes Cardinal Stritch and Ottawa Hills too. I think they give Crestview a game in regional semi. If PG gets by Kalida, I do not think PG will wilt against CC either.
Old 03-09-18, 02:58 PM
All Region

boater is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Swish View Post
Wow, the Crestview love on here is pretty strong. I think some may be selling the winner of Tol Christian and MVCD a bit short. They are in a good league that includes Cardinal Stritch and Ottawa Hills too. I think they give Crestview a game in regional semi. If PG gets by Kalida, I do not think PG will wilt against CC either.
I don't think so - on selling the TAAC teams short - lets be honest - outside of Ottawa HIlls is there any TAAC team that has even made it too Columbus much less won a state title ? In NW Ohio most competitive teams that challenge for D4 titles are more mid-western Ohio counties - Hancock, Putnam, Allen, Van Wert, Mercer, Henry, Auglaize etc.
Old 03-09-18, 04:00 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Swish View Post
I can honestly say that's the first time I've ever heard that comment about the TAAC. A lot of weak teams....playing weak schedules and playing all the league teams twice. I don't think any of the D4 teams in the TAAC wins more than 12-14 games playing a schedule like some of the NWC, PCL or especially the MAC schools play. Stritch is D3....give them Ottawa Glandorf's schedule and I'm thinking Strich wins 15-16 games.... not 21. I think the past tourney results speak for themselves. Until someone proves differently I think the weak schedules will keep hurting them come tourney time.

Last edited by tcgobucks; 03-09-18 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-09-18, 08:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by braygatron4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest
Toledo Ottawa Hills 47

Ya win some ya lose some
Maumee Valley Country Day 64
Toledo Christian 47

When does the "win some" part come into play?

Yeah, almost never pays to be a d!ck.
Old 03-09-18, 09:09 PM
All District

BacktoBack is on a distinguished road
MVCD has really righted the ship. Wish I could make it down to BG, should be a lot of fun.
Old 03-10-18, 12:05 AM
Freshman

Eagle22 is on a distinguished road
The taac isn’t as weak as it used to be. I read the other day that they have now had a team in the regional tournament 10 straight years. I believe they have made regional finals 4 times in that period and Ottawa Hills went to state. I wasn’t sold on Maumee Valley once Woodley got hurt, but they played great tonight. I watched the game Tuesday against Ottawa Hills on BCSN and thought they looked bad. Totally different night tonight as they had several guys play shoot it well.

I think Stritch would have matched up great with Crestviewa and I could see them winning tomorrow against Archbold. MV has a chance if their role guys play as well as they did tonight. Next week will be interesting for sure.
Old 03-10-18, 06:39 AM
All Region

boater is on a distinguished road
I agree with you on the TAAC as a league improving in their level of play over the last 10 years. But to better illustrate my point :
Last 10 years d4 NW region performance :
07-08 Wayne trace semi finalist
08-09 Kalida state runner up
09-10 Ottawa hills state semi finalist
10-11 continental semi finalist
11-12arlington semi finalist
12-13 leipsic state runner up
13-14 crest view state champ
14-15 Wayne trace semi finalist
15-16 lincolnview semi finalist
16-17 delphos St. John's semi finalist

So in review you have the lima area - for lack of a better description repping NW Ohio and schools districts in Putnam county & van wert county have won the NW region 7 of the 10
Years? Ottawa hills being the one exception in the TAAC back in the 09-10 season. I think this why the TAAC isn't on the same level as those schools- history ..... But hey this is high school basketball and this year maybe different but the level of competition suggests something else.