Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-09-18, 09:32 AM
All District

CleveHoopFan08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
Why is that ? How can you know that prior to seeing who is calling the game. Shaker went through a slump for a week or so but beat the brakes off a very good CCC team. Hard to believe that was the same Shaker team that lost to Revere at home on Senior night. Most teams try to avoid Garfield - Shaker wants to play them. Not sure the feeling is mutual.
Based purely on percentages. Odds are . . .
Old 03-10-18, 09:11 PM
All Region

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Aw Damn!!!!!

Garfield AAU lost to Shaker Hts.
Old 03-10-18, 09:35 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess (no pun intended) Sonny will need to use the offseason to bring in more talent. Shaker said they wanted Garfield and they backed up their words. Shaker seems to have shaken off the slump they were in a few weeks ago. The opposite could be said of Garfield. They sure have not played like a team that Sonny claims has 8 D1 prospects. Even with all that talent Sonny still could not get the job done. Congrats to the Raiders on calling their shot and good luck in regionals. I know a lot of people are happy you are advancing.
Old 03-10-18, 09:41 PM
All American

Hayden Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow Iím honestly shocked by this. Many people said Debevec had no excuses getting down to Columbus with Kyle Young and Logan Hill. Shows you itís no guarantee and coaching comes into play
Old 03-11-18, 12:13 AM
All District

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
I guess (no pun intended) Sonny will need to use the offseason to bring in more talent. Shaker said they wanted Garfield and they backed up their words. Shaker seems to have shaken off the slump they were in a few weeks ago. The opposite could be said of Garfield. They sure have not played like a team that Sonny claims has 8 D1 prospects. Even with all that talent Sonny still could not get the job done. Congrats to the Raiders on calling their shot and good luck in regionals. I know a lot of people are happy you are advancing.

Tired of saying Garfield has 8 D1 players. They have Gaffney and Waller (both transfers) who are D1 and meechie thatís it. Such BS
Old 03-11-18, 12:15 AM
All District

Not surprised Shaker won, they should have beaten Garfield the first time. No post presence, poor shooting doom Garfield. Shaker played with heart and an attitude, Garfield expected to win and played like it. The AAU bulldogs and Sonny will bring in more transfers I’m sure next year though. In the end, coaching dooms the bulldogs again and shows why sonny won’t bring a title to cleveland
Old 03-11-18, 12:37 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
Tired of saying Garfield has 8 D1 players. They have Gaffney and Waller (both transfers) who are D1 and meechie thatís it. Such BS
Three d-1 players should be enough to make a deep run no?
Old 03-11-18, 12:46 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Yes james.
Old 03-11-18, 04:53 AM
All World

That was Sonny's claim in the pre season 8 possible D1 players. How many D1 prospects and how much talent is needed to overcome Sonny's poor coaching. You can hype a team all you want but eventually you have to actually play basketball.
Old 03-11-18, 06:58 AM
All American

sehs
Shaker wanted this game bad, I think that's why the CCC score was surprising, they wanted to play Garfield again and win. Sonny's way of doing things once again rears its ugly head against better coaching and pressure.
Old 03-11-18, 09:53 AM
All Region

Was this the swan song?

With the transfer rule coming up did this put the nail in the coffin for Sonny's AAU feeder system? I can just imagine the constant whining he did to his players during that game.He starts his whining to the refs when things go awry and he looks like someone stole his eggo waffle off his plate.
Old 03-11-18, 10:15 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
With the transfer rule coming up did this put the nail in the coffin for Sonny's AAU feeder system? I can just imagine the constant whining he did to his players during that game.He starts his whining to the refs when things go awry and he looks like someone stole his eggo waffle off his plate.
Even Shakers coach was making comments about Sonnys whining, check His twitter feed. You know itís bad when the coach who won the game still says something about it. Sonny has never been a good Xs and Os coach, he wins based on talent and athleticism.
Old 03-11-18, 10:52 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs View Post
Shaker wanted this game bad, I think that's why the CCC score was surprising, they wanted to play Garfield again and win. Sonny's way of doing things once again rears its ugly head against better coaching and pressure.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here and say Shaker is any better coached. That would be an outright stretch.

If they are, it's not by much . . .
Old 03-11-18, 11:15 AM
All World

There is zero excuse for that Garfield team not going to Columbus - based on the talent they have. This points to what I have said all year - chemistry. There are talented teams every year that stay home for various reasons. I even saw it one year at VASJ when the lockeroom was not what it needed to be and it attributed to losing in the state finals. Many teams don't get that far. The question i asked earlier is how much talent does Sonny need to overcome his coaching deficiencies ? I bet Mr. Gaffney NEVER imagined his son would be watching the playoffs and his former team moving on. The grass is not always greener and just because you throw a bunch of studs together does not automatically mean they can win together. If you speak to Garfield parents who's kids are not one of the 4 well known players - you will hear the real truth. They are open about the issues and have zero problem telling them to anybody who will listen. When transfers come in there is a ripple effect. When these kids come in what happens to the kids who are already there ? There are only so many roster spots. Those kids have worked hard and have done nothing wrong - and now they are regulated from varsity to JV or cut. That is part of the ugly underbelly of accepting multiple transfers. If you have a small school that struggles to fill a roster like CCA or LE transfers are fine. That is not the case at a school like Garfield. When kids lose playing time or spots on the team - the chemistry needed to succeed is fractured. The reason people are glad Garfield lost has nothing at all to do with the kids but rather the adults and Sonny. Him using his youth program and AAU teams to recruit players away from their schools for the sole purpose of him winning games is just wrong. These transfers don't need Sonny to get college scholarships - that is proven. If your good no matter what school or division schools will find you. I hope the new proposal goes into effect so Sonny (and people like him) will have to stand on their own merits, develop their own players and have to prove their coaching ability.
Old 03-11-18, 11:20 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveHoopFan08 View Post
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here and say Shaker is any better coached. That would be an outright stretch.

I don't think you know what you are talking about. Shaker has a very good coach. Always very impressive when I see him coach against Mentor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-18, 01:36 PM
All District

Do yourself a favor and sit behind their bench and listen to one of their huddles. VERY little X and O and adjustments. Oh you'll get a lot of "you have to play harder", "play defense", and "So and so just disrespected us" or "So and so said you weren't tough". Rah rah and cheerleader type stuff.

Watch the nuances of a game and their reactions to them. Watched them earlier in the year and he called a man set . . . against a zone. His PLAYER recognized the defense and looked back at his coach to tell him. PLAYER ended up calling the set. Which was basically a high ball screen then drive to the hoop.

Having atheletes masks quite a bit.

Now your coach Mentor Grad is one heck of a good coach.
Old 03-11-18, 01:39 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
I've seen him plenty over the years playing in the same league as Shaker. Again the guy always has his team ready to play. He has made many great adjustments over the years too.

Your isolated examples being so called behind his bench doesn't do much for me. I know the sport. I've seen him coach plenty. Sure he isn't Coach K or Flannery, but he's a way better coach than mr aau recruiter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-18, 05:56 PM
All American

sehs
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveHoopFan08 View Post

He's a much better coach than Sonny. I saw him keep his team in the game against a very good St. Ed's team at BW this year. Ed's got super hot in the 2nd quarter and were up by 29 or something. Without Guess all game, Shaker came back to within 10 at some point. Ed's kept their starters in most of the 4th quarter because Shaker just was able to hang around. They are athletic with a suffocating defensive pressure that can go full court, I am not sure of the guy's in game X's and O's but if they are lacking, he more than makes up for it in preparation of his squad it seems.