Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-15-18, 02:01 PM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
Anyway....regarding playoff matters...here's how I think things will shake down as far as the Solon District goes...

The four teams I think will advance to the districts are:

Garfield Heights, Warren Harding, Cleveland Central Catholic, and Shaker Heights.

Someone mentioned on page one that Warren Harding's best player has really done a great job for the Raiders and they've only lost one game since he played. I wonder what year he is and if he's gotten any offers. I could see Warren Harding possibly upsetting Garfield Heights in a district semifinal.

As far as the other side of the bracket, if this was last year, I'd say that Maple Heights would beat Shaker in a close one, but the Red Raiders are battle tested, and I say that they'll pull out a win, but they will have a lot on their hands if they want to beat Cleveland Central Catholic.

Any one of the four teams above at least has a shot to win the district championship.

I'm not fooled at all by Euclid's record. They've played really well over the past few weeks and are in a tough conference. It would be a shock to see them pull off an upset over Garfield Heights, but I wonder how they would fare in a district semifinal against either Twinsburg or Warren Harding.
Old 02-15-18, 02:30 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just remember who gave Solon two of their toughest games this year and who swept Mentor - it was Euclid.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart

Last edited by Bball216; 02-15-18 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-17-18, 09:18 AM
Varsity

Unlimited Potential is on a distinguished road
Well after all the Euclid hype... they had a clunker at Elyria.
Garfield has been playing well as of late and CCC takes another loss.

Last edited by Unlimited Potential; 02-17-18 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-17-18, 12:38 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
I can't believe Euclid lost to Elyria after everyone, including me, hyped them as the Next Big Thing. All I know is that I just don't know.
Old 02-18-18, 11:47 PM
All Yappi

Worm02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
I can't believe Euclid lost to Elyria after everyone, including me, hyped them as the Next Big Thing. All I know is that I just don't know.
Garfield Heights just beat Elyria Catholic by 4. You just never know what you're gonna get friom high school kids, especially in basketball.

This district is gonna be competitive. Should be a lot of fun.
Old 02-26-18, 06:05 PM
All Yappi

Worm02 is on a distinguished road
Should be an interesting week. Good luck to all!
Old 02-28-18, 08:10 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
After 3 eucild only beating a bad nordonia team by 7 not good.
Old 02-28-18, 08:33 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Euclid wins 59-58.
Old 02-28-18, 09:00 PM
All World

Went to watch my alma mater play tonight as Euclid took on Nordonia. Everybody had Euclid penciled in to face Garfield - but somebody forgot to tell the Knights. Euclid played about a sloppy first quarter I have seen them play this year - yet they were only down one. They never could pull away from Nordonia as Euclid seems to still be in the funk they ended the season with by playing down to the competition. Euclid was pretty hot but has cooled off. They were the more talented team - but failed to take advantage. Turnovers and blown defensive assignments was the culprit. Nordonia had a solid chance to pull the upseat as they had the ball with about 55 seconds left down by one. They seemed to panic at the chance of pulling the upset and an open baseline jumper was left way short. Good look - horrible short. Euclid may have been looking ahead and were lucky to excape with a 59-58 win.

The game would have been much more enjoyable had it not been for the annoying Nordonia fan calling for a penalty on Euclid on every single offensive possession and every time they played defense. I have never seen anything like this guy. According to this fan Euclid had several hundred fouls - but Nordonia managed to play 4 quarters of foul free basketball. Pretty amazing. Euclid opened a bit of a gap when Alexander was in the game - but he seemed to vanish and never leave the bench from the middle of the third on. I know some ladies were sitting a few rows behind the coaches and chirping pretty bad at them. Not sure if the two are related. One thing I do know is TJ won't stand for any crap like that - if that in fact was the case. It's all part of building a winning culture - it's not always easy.

Euclid has to get out of this funk or Garfield will run them out of the gym. If the Euclid that beat Mentor twice shows up - Garfield is in for a game. If the Euclid that played tonight shows up it will be ugly Sunday.
Old 03-01-18, 04:25 AM
All Yappi

Plain and s simple eucild is m ot that good
Old 03-01-18, 09:14 AM
All Region

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Plain and s simple eucild is m ot that good
Big difference between learning how to win when your past is all about losing,and not being very good.TJ Kwas. has done a fine job with these kids.They have a boatload of talent but learning to win when your expected to is as tough if not tougher than the task of turning a losing culture into a winning one.That's why after beating Mentor at Mentor resulted in a followup loss to Elyria.Can't read your twitter praise's,you have to keep your head down and keep grinding.TJ knows this from his DNA at ST.Joe.One game at a time.Simpletons that don't know what they are talking about like the guy above miss this fact.
Old 03-01-18, 01:36 PM
Junior Varsity

FlannMann87 is on a distinguished road
I understand no one would root for Garfield. I think people have a lot of false hope. Garfield has already defeated #2 seed CCC #3 Shaker and Euclid by double digits. I would like to see an upset and it very well may happen, but Garfield is most likely coming out of this district. I know Sonny is not the best x and o guy but talent is king and he has the most of it. Garfield has plenty of district championships.
Old 03-01-18, 02:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlannMann87 View Post
I understand no one would root for Garfield. I think people have a lot of false hope. Garfield has already defeated #2 seed CCC #3 Shaker and Euclid by double digits. I would like to see an upset and it very well may happen, but Garfield is most likely coming out of this district. I know Sonny is not the best x and o guy but talent is king and he has the most of it. Garfield has plenty of district championships.
Garfield has district titles, but I think they'll get more competition this year. Central Catholic is capable of beating the Bulldogs; they played them close not long ago. And Shaker had Garfield down last month until Christian Guess left the floor with an injury. I wouldn't count Shaker out.
Old 03-01-18, 02:32 PM
All Yappi

Good luck to all. I hope the teams that make next week's Solon district enjoy the experience. I hope you all like our gym and the hospitality provided by our volunteers.
Old 03-01-18, 08:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
And Shaker had Garfield down last month until Christian Guess left the floor with an injury.
That was actually two and a half months ago. But more to the point, Guess didn't get injured, he cramped up because he spent just about every single prior second running around in the press that Shaker used to build its lead against Garfield.
Old 03-02-18, 01:38 PM
All Region

Any updates on Gaffney's bum ankle?
Old 03-03-18, 12:17 AM
Freshman

Ftballreviewer is on a distinguished road
Is garfield just going to run away with this right?
Old 03-03-18, 08:01 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftballreviewer View Post
Is garfield just going to run away with this right?

With games against Euclid and WGH (or Twinsburg) just to get to the final, I say no. Plus Shaker and CCC are capable of beating Garfield. The Bulldogs have the most talent, but that doesn't mean they will run away with it.
Old 03-03-18, 09:06 AM
All World

Don't count on Garfield running away. Shaker is not playing well right now so I don't think they are a legit threat to Garfield. CCC is the team to watch. Well coached and the kids are tough and gritty. I expect them to be the team to give Garfield trouble. Garfield is not physical - CCC will play them very physical.

Old 03-03-18, 10:01 PM
All Yappi

Harding comes from behind to win on the road at Twinsburg and awaits the winner of Garfield-Euclid.

Shaker pounds Maple and will take on Central Catholic who cruised past Kenston.
Old 03-04-18, 12:31 AM
All World

Looks like the early season Shaker Heights showed up tonight. Did not play like the same Raiders team that lost to Revere last week at home. If this is the Shaker team that you see the rest of the playoffs it's back to a three team race in Solon. I did not see Maple play this season but that is a descent team from what I have seen score wise this year. There will be some god athletes on the floor when CCC and Shaker hook up.
Old 03-04-18, 03:34 PM
All American

bluengold
Garfield Hts 72
Euclid 62
Final
Old 03-04-18, 03:38 PM
All Yappi

Garfield struggling to beat eucild a very bad sign.
Old 03-04-18, 03:56 PM
All World

The Euclid score is deceiving. It was a 3-5 point game in the final minutes before Euclid had to foul. Awesome showing for Euclid. TJ has the Panthers heading in the right direction. It was enjoyable to go see competitive basketball again at Euclid.

Old 03-04-18, 05:33 PM
All Region

Euclid led several times by 6pts,led at half and also had a lead well into the third qtr.They just didn't have the size that Garfield had.Gaffney was not nearly the 35pt triple double machine like he was at Euclid earlier in the season.He did make some plays on defense in the 4th that turned the tide.He is not the focal point.Is not the go to big man on that team.If I didn't know what he had done at VASJ,what he could be doing for the Vikes,and that he had offers in his pocket before Garfield.I wouldn't think anything else about him.Knowing all that information just amazes me that his dad would sign him up for this circus
Old 03-04-18, 06:39 PM
All World

He would be the show at VASJ and would benefit greatly from the assists Higgins would be giving him. I have thought all along It was a mistake and I think inside Gaffney might agree. Not sure knowing now how it would play out that his Dad would take him out of Joe's. I'm sure the roll he his playing is not what was promised by Sonny. His Dad is impatient - does he return to Garfield, go somewhere else or the more likely option prep school next year. Might be a story in the off season. Could have been a legend at Joe's and could have led Joe's to more state finals.

Old 03-04-18, 07:07 PM
All Yappi

Of course unbiased followers of NEO high school hoops know that the young man in question for Garfield had a leg injury in the season finale last weekend that caused him to miss the rest of the game and this was his team's first game since. But why let that get in the way of another round of wild speculation?
Old 03-04-18, 07:26 PM
All World

Bennies - in all do respect he has been pretty silent all year. When there is a recap of their games on Cleveland.com he is sometimes not even mentioned. It's not a secret he is unhappy 01. Do you think the situation will get better with Sonny Jr in the mix next year ? You know it will be the Sonny Jr and Meechie show next year - don't even argue that. I'm just saying if he says at Joe's odds are he is playing in Columbus. If he wants to go to state this year the odds are it will be as a spectator.
Old 03-04-18, 07:37 PM
All District

brusharc1986 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
Bennies - in all do respect he has been pretty silent all year. When there is a recap of their games on Cleveland.com he is sometimes not even mentioned. It's not a secret he is unhappy 01. Do you think the situation will get better with Sonny Jr in the mix next year ? You know it will be the Sonny Jr and Meechie show next year - don't even argue that. I'm just saying if he says at Joe's odds are he is playing in Columbus. If he wants to go to state this year the odds are it will be as a spectator.
Speaking of staying at Joe’s and transferring....nevermind. We can get to that later.
Old 03-04-18, 07:43 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
Of course unbiased followers of NEO high school hoops know that the young man in question for Garfield had a leg injury in the season finale last weekend that caused him to miss the rest of the game and this was his team's first game since. But why let that get in the way of another round of wild speculation?
Go back and see that I asked about his ankle injury.He wasn't hobbled and it was obvious this team runs through its guards.Two other big men on Garfield were focal points.Gaffney hung out around the top of the key much of the first three qtrs.Down low was when the tide turned.Your opinion is to eff with ANYBODY who is affiliated with VASJ.Your opinion is ...........wait.....I JUST FLUSHED MY TOILET!!!!!