Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-05-18, 06:04 PM
All Ohio

smurfyeah19 is on a distinguished road
Challenged? Iím just saying it sucks that many of these old rivalries have died in recent years, but seeing what I did last week I canít blame these NLL and TRAC schools for distancing themselves from playing the CL. You didnít see crap like that 15 years ago
Old 03-05-18, 07:13 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
It just came off to me like you felt I was challenging your interpretation. No, I was accepting it, sight unseen. But cleared up now.

About the only rivalry I can see that has died is Scott versus anyone. Start and Whitmer, Waite and Clay, these still play. I really don't know who Wootward considered as their rival but they did play three TRAC teams. I guess you mean the three Catholics, Macomber, Devilbiss and Libbey? Yeah I miss those too. Mostly I miss the McAuley girls at the bus stops but time moves on.
Old 03-07-18, 10:15 AM
Varsity

NWObballfan is on a distinguished road
SJJ 60
Central 37

Anthony Wayne 47
Lima Senior 45

Southview 71
Northview 55

SFS 52
Whitmer 47
Old 03-07-18, 04:24 PM
All Yappi

Predictions, right? Games been played yet?

Senior hadn't really been able to challenge St. Airport so a change of pace, seeing how their neighbor up the highway can do will make things a bit more interesting.

Southview seems to have been inching away from the pack and the Frannies certainly have motivation.

Maybe the district finals are shaping up more interesting that I'd thought? Eh, nope. One man race. How's the other side of the regional doing?
Old 03-07-18, 04:28 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Predictions, right? Games been played yet?

Senior hadn't really been able to challenge St. Airport so a change of pace, seeing how their neighbor up the highway can do will make things a bit more interesting.

Southview seems to have been inching away from the pack and the Frannies certainly have motivation.

Maybe the district finals are shaping up more interesting that I'd thought? Eh, nope. One man race. How's the other side of the regional doing?
It's looked like a collision course between Eds and SJJ all year. But Eds has Lakewood tonight which comes into the game with an 18 game winning street, you never know.
Old 03-07-18, 06:01 PM
All Yappi

Seems Ed has beaten Eds only to have Eds turn around and beat Ed. History right? Of course there was that whole punch thing for which they should never be forgiven. Cheapness there.

Well, maybe some interesting games still left on this side of the middle but my pessimist does still say, one-man race.
Old 03-07-18, 09:23 PM
Varsity

Anthony Wayne vs. SJJ for a district championship on Saturday.
Old 03-08-18, 09:27 PM
Varsity

Southview vs. Whitmer for a district championship on Saturday. Travis Lewis has been at St. Francis for five years and has yet to play in a district title game, maybe next year.
Old 03-09-18, 02:51 AM
All Yappi

With a four year cycle, five years isn't comment worthy against some solidly established programs. Are they transfering in juniors too? Perhaps they can speed up the process with a little credibility slip?

SFS was home and home against Whitmer and lost at home against Southview, he might have better picked the other branch and tried a meet with SJJ for district title. As the brackets went, AW at 8 hasn't even really had to upset anyone to get to the finals, though I think at 8 they are a bit undervalued. As stated before the games began, everyone past 1 are not that far apart.

Your top bracket score predictions were spot on. Next round?
Old 03-09-18, 07:08 AM
Varsity

Quote:
With a four year cycle, five years isn't comment worthy against some solidly established programs. Are they transfering in juniors too? Perhaps they can speed up the process with a little credibility slip?

SFS was home and home against Whitmer and lost at home against Southview, he might have better picked the other branch and tried a meet with SJJ for district title. As the brackets went, AW at 8 hasn't even really had to upset anyone to get to the finals, though I think at 8 they are a bit undervalued. As stated before the games began, everyone past 1 are not that far apart.

Your top bracket score predictions were spot on. Next round?
Yeah you're right. Jemiya Neal will be very good, SFS should be the best team in the area next year.

SJJ 71
Anthony Wayne 45

Whitmer 42
Southview 38
Old 03-09-18, 08:38 AM
All District

Cardboard Palace is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWObballfan View Post
Yeah you're right. Jemiya Neal will be very good, SFS should be the best team in the area next year.

SJJ 71
Anthony Wayne 45

Whitmer 42
Southview 38
Maybe, but Whitmer will have something to say about that. Pretty sure they have all of their top 8 guys back.
Old 03-09-18, 10:38 AM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
And the ironic thing is Jemiya Neal is a Washington Local kid. For the past decade WLS has done a great job of keeping the Big 3 away but losing Neal hurt.
Old 03-10-18, 05:51 PM
All Yappi

So the johnnie was being facetious with the "SFS should be the best team in the area next year?"
Old 03-10-18, 06:54 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
I think next year, instead of worrying about the running clock, that they should make tourney games last until at least one team gets 50. I don't care if it takes 3 hours.....all these games with winning teams in the low 40's are awful. Can't be fun to have to watch that kind of game
Old 03-10-18, 10:06 PM
Varsity

SJJ vs Whitmer for a spot in the regional final. I'll go SJJ 56 Whitmer 40.
Old 03-11-18, 11:26 AM
All World

^Sounds about right. Area basketball is as bad as I've ever seen it.
Old 03-11-18, 02:26 PM
All Yappi

But maybe still top guy can make some noise. Get by Whitmer, getting by Eds/Lorain isn't beyond the realm.
Old 03-11-18, 03:11 PM
Varsity

Quote:
But maybe still top guy can make some noise. Get by Whitmer, getting by Eds/Lorain isn't beyond the realm.
Yep, IMO Vincent Williams is the best overall player in the history of SJJ. If he goes to another level in the next couple weeks, SJJ will be a tough out.
Old 03-11-18, 04:26 PM
All World

Quote:
Yep, IMO Vincent Williams is the best overall player in the history of SJJ. If he goes to another level in the next couple weeks, SJJ will be a tough out.
Whoa. How long have you been following SJ? 3 years? Maybe 4?
Old 03-11-18, 06:07 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Whoa. How long have you been following SJ? 3 years? Maybe 4?
Who is better? No player has ever affected the entire game like him. Roberts/Loving/Komives were great and probably better offensively but not close to the defender that Vince is. He's number 1 all time in blocks/rebounds/field goal percentage and top five in points/assists. Will be 3 time blade player of the year and two time First team all state, and possibly Mr. Basketball.
Old 03-11-18, 06:36 PM
All Yappi

Hey IB, you remember back on the old puddle, there was some poster that was constantly in the shorts of some marginal SJJ player, he was the greatest ever, blah, blah... Maybe it was football, almost sure it was B-Ball. Clearly the ball boy or something, had gotten a computer account.

Who was that, you remember? Pretty sure it was during the Roberts, Hillesland, Reynolds run. I suppose the best tactic here would be to pat this young man on the head and say, "sure, sure."

On the all-defensive team, for SJJ alone, Vincent might make second team. He's no Ziemke. Heck, probably two or three from that team alone would convince Vincent the value of other sports. Three Floyd's could be said to affect the game as much, on both ends of the court. No slight on Vincent of course.

As has been pointed out, b-ball in the Toledo area is about as weak as it has been since quite awhile.

2016 SJJ never made it out of regionals. 2017, blasted by the eventual, wouldn't be in the top ten of Jackson's opponents that year. Maybe he'll have a chance to make a case this year but winning Blade anything in D1, nice accomplishment but over who? Vincent will have to make his name at the next level. Otherwise, he'll go into that group of "what was that kid's name?" Come back in another 30 years, you'll know what we mean. A lot of really good players names, they kind of blur.
Old 03-11-18, 06:53 PM
Varsity

Quote:

Hey IB, you remember back on the old puddle, there was some poster that was constantly in the shorts of some marginal SJJ player, he was the greatest ever, blah, blah... Maybe it was football, almost sure it was B-Ball. Clearly the ball boy or something, had gotten a computer account.

Who was that, you remember? Pretty sure it was during the Roberts, Hillesland, Reynolds run. I suppose the best tactic here would be to pat this young man on the head and say, "sure, sure."

On the all-defensive team, for SJJ alone, Vincent might make second team. He's no Ziemke. Heck, probably two or three from that team alone would convince Vincent the value of other sports. Three Floyd's could be said to affect the game as much, on both ends of the court. No slight on Vincent of course.

As has been pointed out, b-ball in the Toledo area is about as weak as it has been since quite awhile.

2016 SJJ never made it out of regionals. 2017, blasted by the eventual, wouldn't be in the top ten of Jackson's opponents that year. Maybe he'll have a chance to make a case this year but winning Blade anything in D1, nice accomplishment but over who? Vincent will have to make his name at the next level. Otherwise, he'll go into that group of "what was that kid's name?" Come back in another 30 years, you'll know what we mean. A lot of really good players names, they kind of blur.
https://twitter.com/BCSNsports/statu...91136245198848 This is one game. There is no one in the history off SJJ who could do this kind of stuff.
Old 03-11-18, 07:52 PM
All World

Quote:

I wish I could...

Let's look at the league. Whitmer's tallest player is Eddie Colbert who is 6'5" and not neccisarily a post player. St. Francis has the 6'5" Jackie Harris who is pretty darn good and the slender 6'6" Sonnenberg. Aside from SF no one else in league can match-up. CCHS would throw a 6'2" Dallas Fields at Williams. Ross had? The other McKinstry at 6'3"? Findlay had Nunn? Clay had a 6'5" freshman?

Look, I think Vincent is a great well rounded player but there is a reason he is heading to VCU and not B10. He has had the pleasure of playing in the weakest TRAC/TCL I've ever seen. Had he graduated in 2013 he'd a been another GOOD player amongst some great players. Players that went to Wisconsin and Ohio State.

To go back further it would be a shame to overlook guys such as 6'11" John Amechi (Penn State) and the one time OSU 3-point leader Neshaun Coleman or Komives, Larranaga, Amhrein, Floyd, Zeimke, Floyd, Roberts, Raymond, Hillesland, Taylor, Springs, Loving.

For what it is worth, my money is on Komives and Roberts as SJ's tops. Roberts was special and played in a league that had some really tough TPS teams along with the other Catholics.

Komive's senior year he averaged 28 points per game and led SJ over an SF squad that saw its entire starting 5 go D1 including the 6'9" Sykes (Xavier) and the 6'6 Baker (Minnesota/UT). Yes, the league was THAT loaded, not to mention Waite had 2 D1 guys in the 5'11 Thames (UT) and the 6'9" Beyer (Montana St.).

To be honest, Vince would probably not make my 1st team All-SJJ squad. He is great but has had the luxury of playing against what would have been JV squads in 1991.
Old 03-11-18, 07:56 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
There is no one in the history off SJJ who could do this kind of stuff.
~pat~ ~pat~

you're right, and he even sells pop-corn and hot dogs at half time. VCU got a steal. Though they don't seem confident to hold onto him. They have -1 spots left and 13 letters out. Hopefully he'll end up closer to home.
Old 03-11-18, 08:15 PM
Varsity

The folks over in the St. Eds thread seem pretty confident that their team is state championship level good, look at what Vince has done against them the last two years and what he'll hopefully do against them next Saturday afternoon.
Old 03-11-18, 08:26 PM
All Region

Smalls is on a distinguished road
1990-91 St. Francis

James Johnson Kent State
Nolan Roberts Valpo
Jeff Edgecomb Miami Oh/Hillsdale
Kevin Baker Minnesota/UT
Larry Sykes Xavier
Terrence Stewart Sacramento St
Think Denny Amerien was on that team before transferring to St Johns
Old 03-11-18, 08:58 PM
All Region

Sorry off topic, but speaks to difference in competition 1990 Scott.

Last edited by Smalls; 03-11-18 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-11-18, 09:24 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
1990-91 St. Francis

James Johnson Kent State
Nolan Roberts Valpo
Jeff Edgecomb Miami Oh/Hillsdale
Kevin Baker Minnesota/UT
Larry Sykes Xavier
Terrence Stewart Sacramento St
Think Denny Amerien was on that team before transferring to St Johns
Amhrein was a frosh on JV. Eric Floyd (RIP) started at SF as well. Lost a pipeline there. The following year (92') SJ had Amhrein, Larranaga, and Coleman and lost in the TCL finals to a Scott team led by Wheeler, Witcher, and Utley.

I tell younger adults about the old days talent in the area and they think I'm lying. Nigel Hayes and Marc Loving would have still been good but they'd a been run of the mill good in that time-frame.

I remember when Scott came out for warm-ups and it was as if the entire gym (packed) stopped what they were doing and took notice.
Old 03-11-18, 09:31 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post

Sorry off topic, but speaks to difference in competition 1990 Scott.
Scoop, Glover, Scrutchins, J White, K White...each starter was 6'4"/6'5" and could run, shoot, dribble, and flat out play.
Old 03-11-18, 09:32 PM
All Region

YouTube worm hole

Jim Jackson