Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-02-18, 01:39 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
"Foiled Again" Going For 100th Win In Harness Racing

Comes up just short in this race but will eventually join the 100+ wins club...

Quote:
Foiled Again’s second attempt at his 100th career win came up a nose and a head short Thursday night (Feb. 1st), cutting the mile and just missing in a Yonkers Raceway blanket photo.

Leaving from post position No. 5 beneath a light drizzle in the $20,000, eighth-race pace, the sport’s richest-ever equine needed a fair amount of driver Yannick Gingras’ urging early.

The 6-5 favorite did get over pole-sitting second choice Lord of Misrule (George Brennan), making the lead just before a :27.3 opening quarter-mile. It was a rated 58-second intermission over a ‘good’ oval when Machtu N (Brent Holland) tried it first-up from fourth.

That interloper found himself in a statistical dead-heat with Foiled Again in and out of a 1:26.1 three-quarters, with Foiled Again clinging to a short schnoz entering the lane.

Gingras was all over Foiled Again in the lane, and it appeared that the horse who made his reputation fighting off all comers could do it again.

The field closed ranks into a slow final quarter, with Foiled Again tiring just enough to afford Lord of Misrule a non-passing lane passing lane. That one barely edged a seam-splitting, 43-1 outsider Macintosh N (Jordan Stratton) by a desperate nose in 1:56.4.

Foiled Again wound up third, beaten a head as the five payees were separated by three-quarters of a length. The entire octet was head-to-toe two lengths apart.

“I came here to win with him,” Gingras said. “I wanted to leave. I wasn’t going to race him from third–over.”

Thursday night’s $2,400 payday in Foiled Again’s 306th lifetime purse try increased the 14-year-old gelding’s retirement account to $7,570,878.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-18, 07:47 AM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
I thought Ron Burke was a driver as well as a trainer.

Yannick is the man

Last edited by Arrogate; 02-02-18 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-02-18, 07:48 AM
All Yappi

14 year old that's awesome
Old 02-02-18, 03:15 PM
Go Buckeyes

I think some of the most amazing stats from the image above is the extreme differences in career earnings. For Niffit, he won 137 races in 422 starts and only won $30,617. Compare that to Foiled Again's $7.5 million.
Old 02-02-18, 06:27 PM
All Yappi

From my understanding most of the money and prestige is in 2 and 3 yr old racing and there isn't as much money to run for past those ages. I think they have/had the same problem as quarter horse racing where there aren't many worthwhile races for older horses (pains me to say a 4 year old horse is considered older). Which stinks because most horses don't come into their own until after 3 or 4 years and you can have a serviceable horse but it is difficult to make a profit on one of them. There needs to be a way for older horses to run and make money, similar to thoroughbred racing. ( I would like to see more opportunity for them as well) also I am not just talking about the good horses needing races and purses thatbsrr worthwhile but opportunities for your middle and lower level horses.

I know there have been efforts to increase purses and racing opportunity for older horses in the last 10 years. Which is good for the industry

The game is moving towards only having big time races but the problem is the vast majority aren't even close to that level and what will they do with horses who don't cut it? Someone has to take them and there needs to be an avenue to where you can get a little bit of money in lower levels. It can't just be all big time races. The middle and lower levels support the big races.

Edit I saw in 2015 he banked over 430k. So there must be money in the top end of harness racing for older horses. I just know people complained about lack of money in races for their older horses when I was around standardbreds almost 10 years ago.

Also saw that he didn't really come into his own until he was a 4 year old.

Last edited by Arrogate; 02-02-18 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-02-18, 06:28 PM
All Yappi

Also impressive to see that they kept that horse sound and interested in racing all these years. That can't be an easy task. That's just incredible
Old 02-02-18, 11:20 PM
Go Buckeyes

I think the money in harness racing has risen alot over the last few years because of the racinos. There also appears to be a shortage of horses recently due to so many good horses going to stud right after their 3 year old season.

Harness racing was in real trouble and still may be but it looks like they have bottomed out and starting to turn it around a little bit. Their biggest weakness is a lack of awareness. So many parts of the country do not have a harness track anywhere near them.
Old 02-03-18, 10:56 AM
All Yappi

The racinos have helped the Red Mile a ton. Increased purses there on all levels have helped create full fields.

Have you seen his record at the Meadowlands Yappi? I read an article from lile 2014 and it stated at one point in time, from like 40 races he had won over 20 and was in the money all but one time! Talk about consistency
Old 02-03-18, 10:56 AM
All Yappi

Have you seen him race or have been following him for some time?
Old 02-03-18, 11:03 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Have you seen him race or have been following him for some time?
No. Just started hearing about him a couple wins ago as he approached his 100th win. Harness racing has taken alot of hits over the last couple of decades and appears to have hit rock bottom. Hoping to see this rebound continue with feel good stories like this.

Another interesting story is a NEO native that has won the most races three years in a row, Aaron Merriman. He drives at two parks; The Meadows in the afternoon in Pittsburgh and Northfield Park in Cleveland at night.

Quote:
Aaron Merriman reflects on his 1,000 win season
12/5/17
After becoming only the fourth driver in harness racing history to win 1,000 races in a year, Aaron Merriman is looking to add as many victories to his total as possible by the end of the season. And while it will be impossible to surpass Tim Tetrick’s record of 1,189 wins in 2007, Merriman could finish his campaign No. 2 on the list.

“That would be phenomenal,” Merriman said, adding with a laugh, “Then it would be two redheads at the top. People might want to start dying their hair.”

Merriman got his 1,000th win of the year Saturday and entered Monday with 1,006 victories for 2017. Merriman passed Tony Morgan, who won 1,004 times in 2006, for the third-most wins in a year and now has only Walter Case Jr.’s 1,077 triumphs in 1998 separating him from Tetrick.

“It’s pretty crazy,” Merriman said. “To join the three other men that I have is just unbelievable. A lot of things have to go right to even win that many races in a year. It’s tough. It’s just very special in a sport that’s so old. When I got it, it was just very surreal. It was a very special moment, a very special accomplishment. I’m just very proud.”

Merriman will end this year on top of the sport’s standings in wins for the third consecutive year --- his 1,006 victories are 402 more than No. 2 George Napolitano Jr. --- and he is the first driver in history to win at least 800 races in four consecutive years. Merriman won 890 races last year and 874 in 2015. His 841 victories in 2014 were second to Ronnie Wrenn Jr.’s 847.

Entering Monday, Merriman had driven in 4,327 races this year while competing primarily at Northfield Park in Ohio, where he will end Wrenn’s four-year reign as the top driver, and The Meadows in western Pennsylvania.

“A lot of people don’t realize, but it’s not easy to stay fit and fresh for that many races,” said Merriman, who has driven in 1,500 races more than any driver this year. “I think that’s an accomplishment in itself. I’m almost more proud of being able to do that. Winning races is great, but to be able to keep up a frantic pace like that, a lot of people can’t do that. It can wear on you mentally and physically. I’m very proud of that.”

For his career, the 39-year-old Merriman has won 9,735 races, which ranks 16th in North American harness racing history. He was the second-youngest driver to reach 9,000 victories, behind only Tetrick, who did it when he was 34.

“You hope you’re going to have a long career, but no one knows what is going to happen,” Merriman said. “A lot of this seems to have happened in a blink of an eye. I guess time flies when you’re having fun. I still consider driving horses a phenomenal time; it’s very fun to me.

“I think the people --- the drivers, the trainers, the owners, the grooms; everybody involved --- is the biggest reason why I love it so much. There are good days and bad days, but all in all it’s all part of the process. I can’t say enough about everybody that’s been involved. I just love it. The camaraderie is what makes it so special.”
Old 02-04-18, 12:32 AM
All Yappi

Talk about hustling. Tetrick is the man though
Old 02-11-18, 02:21 AM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
As for Foiled Again (Brennan), his 307th career start—and third attempt at a 100th victory—was not the stuff of legend. Stuck behind the eight-ball in the $20,000, ninth-race pace, harness racing’s richest-ever equine never entering contention, trailing his seven rivals throughout the soggy sojourn.
Have to wait another week for him to get his 100th win...
Old 02-21-18, 12:56 PM
Go Buckeyes

His fourth attempt:

Quote:
The Foiled Again saga continues Thursday night (Feb. 22nd), with the venue (Yonkers Raceway) and the quest (100 career wins) remaining the same.

It’s the fourth crack at the milestone for harness racing’s richest-ever equine ($7,570,878) in his 308th career purse start. Foiled Again drew post position No. 3 in the $20,000, eighth-race pace. First post is 6:50 PM, with approximate post for the eighth at 9:30 PM

George Brennan drives for co-owner (as Burke Racing)/trainer Ron Burke. The 14-year-old Dragon Again gelding won (with Brennan) his seasonal debut, moving him to the precipice of the plateau. He hit the board once (a third-place finish) in three subsequent starts.

Foiled Again has raced at the same (non-winners of $20,000 in last five starts) in every start this season.
Old 02-21-18, 04:46 PM
All Yappi

Will they drop him if he doesnt win?
Old 02-21-18, 05:20 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Will they drop him if he doesnt win?
I suspect no. I think they really want to get him his 100th win at Yonkers and will keep him at this level until he wins or it starts getting uncomfortable with losing so much. He won about a 1/4th of his starts last year, so he'll be due soon.
Old 02-21-18, 07:00 PM
All Yappi

I am curious as to what he hasn't been going off at. If he is a heavy favorite every race it might be worth a play to beat him.
Old 02-21-18, 09:34 PM
All Yappi

Also why do they want to to it at Yonkers? Are the owners from around there? I know a lot of times owners want them to race at certain tracks for differing reasons from purse, prestige, location near them, win on a different circuit, and even have heard wanting to take a vacation to the track location
Old 02-21-18, 10:53 PM
Go Buckeyes

Here are his races from Yonkers and the 8th race program for this Thursday:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FOILED AGAIN YR LINES thru 2-21-18.PDF (408.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: pdf YR 2-22-18 8th race program page.pdf (118.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 02-21-18, 10:59 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Also why do they want to to it at Yonkers? Are the owners from around there? I know a lot of times owners want them to race at certain tracks for differing reasons from purse, prestige, location near them, win on a different circuit, and even have heard wanting to take a vacation to the track location
I think both the owners and Yonkers want him there (just speculation on my part). Probably have worked together on something special when he gets it. Of course, there is no guarantee it will ever happen and things might change.
Old 02-21-18, 11:46 PM
All Yappi

Pretty wide open race

Just looking at his past performances and his running cycles there is something interesting to me. He ran big races on 2+ weeks of rest on 11/30 and 1/13. Every other race he runs a big race. His form cycle would suggest he is primed for a top effort this race. Atleast that's how I read it.

Who do you like in the race Yappi? If I were trying to play the race I would look to the 5 or 6 to hit the board in a trifecta. admittedly I don't know much about handicapping harness racing other than final time and last quarter time. Completely different than thoroughbred racing.
Old 02-21-18, 11:47 PM
All Yappi

Btw thanks for sharing the program and his race history
Old 02-22-18, 12:52 AM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Pretty wide open race

Just looking at his past performances and his running cycles there is something interesting to me. He ran big races on 2+ weeks of rest on 11/30 and 1/13. Every other race he runs a big race. His form cycle would suggest he is primed for a top effort this race. Atleast that's how I read it.

Who do you like in the race Yappi? If I were trying to play the race I would look to the 5 or 6 to hit the board in a trifecta. admittedly I don't know much about handicapping harness racing other than final time and last quarter time. Completely different than thoroughbred racing.
Honestly, I wouldn't want to bet this race. If I was forced to, I would probably bet:

Trifecta 13/13/57
Old 02-22-18, 10:18 AM
All Yappi

An 8 horse field is pretty small. I usually won't play a race that has only 8 horses unless it comes in a p4 sequence or there is a priced horse I like. Just not a good betting opportunity without more horses.
Old 02-22-18, 09:51 PM
All Yappi

No racing room there. That 2 horse blocked him in....are you still allowed to cut inside in the stretch yappi?
Old 02-22-18, 09:58 PM
Go Buckeyes

Foiled Again finished 4th in the race tonight. His quest for win #100 will have to wait another week.

The winner, #2 BB's Harley, paid $44.20 for the win. Exacta 2/4 paid $323 and the Trifecta 2/4/5 paid $1010
Old 02-22-18, 09:58 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
No racing room there. That 2 horse blocked him in....are you still allowed to cut inside in the stretch yappi?
They just got rid of the passing lane this January. Not sure it would have helped him though.
Old 02-22-18, 09:59 PM
All Yappi

Talk about a consistent performer in the 2. Every rave at Yonkers he this year he has had hia final time be from 1:55 to 1:55.2. His final quarter times were almost all the same as well. Looks like he recently stepped up in class as well
Old 02-22-18, 10:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
They just got rid of the passing lane this January. Not sure it would have helped him though.
Agreed.

Why did they get rid of it? Just at Yonkers or nationwide deal?
Old 02-22-18, 10:02 PM
All Yappi

Nevermind just googled and saw Yonkers did away with it
Old 02-22-18, 10:03 PM
All Yappi

Do you agree with them getting rid of it? Do you think it improved the quality of racing?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: