Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-23-18, 09:26 PM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Marion Local wins the MAC with a 57 - 43 win over Coldwater. The Flyer football players wore their State football medallions around their necks in case Coldwater forgot who won the State Football Championship.
Old 03-07-18, 11:53 AM
All American

Marion Local plays Saint Henry I believe Friday night for the Wapak D-4 district championship. IMO the winner of this game is the MAC's best chance of a MAC team making it to State. Doubt if Versailles ( if they def. Madeira ) gets out of their regional.
Old 03-07-18, 02:11 PM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Marion Local plays Saint Henry I believe Friday night for the Wapak D-4 district championship. IMO the winner of this game is the MAC's best chance of a MAC team making it to State. Doubt if Versailles ( if they def. Madeira ) gets out of their regional.
Agree with you on Mac's best chance by far is D4. D3 has a bunch of very athletic teams who will give Versailles a different look and speed of game than what they are used to.

Actually in D4 I would pick the Wapak winner as 5:4 (80%) odds of winning the regional. D4 South of Piqua has no dominate team this year, and Loramie sounds a bit beat up.
Old 03-08-18, 09:29 AM
All American

After ML def. New Bremen in the tourney, the Cardinals head coach made the statement that Tyler Mescher of ML should have been MVP of the league, I agree with him. Mescher even though only 6' 2'' and can't jump over a phone book just knows how to score around the basket. 90 % of his baskets come with in 5 feet of the hoop and even though teams game plan to stop Mescher he still gets his points. Mescher is one of the best players I have ever seen at using his body to get open and to finish at the basket. Now I probably just jinxed Mescher and the Flyers.
Old 03-08-18, 12:08 PM
All American

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
After ML def. New Bremen in the tourney, the Cardinals head coach made the statement that Tyler Mescher of ML should have been MVP of the league, I agree with him. Mescher even though only 6' 2'' and can't jump over a phone book just knows how to score around the basket. 90 % of his baskets come with in 5 feet of the hoop and even though teams game plan to stop Mescher he still gets his points. Mescher is one of the best players I have ever seen at using his body to get open and to finish at the basket. Now I probably just jinxed Mescher and the Flyers.
Mescher wasn't even close to the best player in the league. Ahrens was. Every coach knew it. Every coach game planned for him. It wasn't even close.

No doubt NB coach is trying to make his team look better after Mescher dropped 20 on them. He even said that ML was match up nightmare for his team.
Old 03-08-18, 12:45 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Mescher wasn't even close to the best player in the league. Ahrens was. Every coach knew it. Every coach game planned for him. It wasn't even close.

No doubt NB coach is trying to make his team look better after Mescher dropped 20 on them. He even said that ML was match up nightmare for his team.
Talent wise Ahrens is the much better player, but Mescher knows what he is a low post player who fights and scraps for everything he gets. Very few teams play Mescher straight up, teams either zone ML or double up on Mescher yet he still gets his points. Other than Nate Bruns ( who avg. in double figures ) ML's third leading scorer avg. 6 pts. per game so the Flyers do not have a lot of scoring options. I can guarantee that St. Henry will be game planning to stop Mescher.
Old 03-08-18, 02:30 PM
All American

Quote:
Talent wise Ahrens is the much better player, but Mescher knows what he is a low post player who fights and scraps for everything he gets. Very few teams play Mescher straight up, teams either zone ML or double up on Mescher yet he still gets his points. Other than Nate Bruns ( who avg. in double figures ) ML's third leading scorer avg. 6 pts. per game so the Flyers do not have a lot of scoring options. I can guarantee that St. Henry will be game planning to stop Mescher.
Of course SH will game plan to stop ML leading scorer. That doesn't mean Mescher is the best player in the MAC.
Old 03-08-18, 09:35 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Well. Cinderella Coldwater gets a matchup with 1 loss Ottawa-Glandorf on Saturday.
Old 03-09-18, 09:04 AM
All District

BBallLover is on a distinguished road
Coldwater has been playing well lately. Not sure u can be called Cinderella when they have been the higher seed in every game they played though
Old 03-09-18, 10:02 AM
All Region

boater is on a distinguished road
The Lima Senior district is surprising weak this year. Coldwater has - years ago upset O-G - but in Ada @ ONU. This Titan team was upset last by Elida & denied their 7th consecutive trip to regionals ( while playing in D2 & D 3) - I expect the Cav's to give the TItans a better game then they have seen to date - but this would be a huge upset to expect Coldwater to win this.
Old 03-09-18, 10:44 AM
Freshman

RedHawk89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Of course SH will game plan to stop ML leading scorer. That doesn't mean Mescher is the best player in the MAC.
MVP doesn't always mean the best player.
Old 03-09-18, 11:22 AM
All World

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk89 View Post
Great point. If I recall correctly - and I know this is a different sport - Todd Boeckman only garnered honorable mention MAC honors at quarterback his senior year, but he was the only one to go to college and play D1 football.
Old 03-09-18, 12:03 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk89 View Post
Fine.... Valuable does not mean best.

Ahrens is still the the most valuable player in every measurable way.
Old 03-09-18, 12:05 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
Well. Cinderella Coldwater gets a matchup with 1 loss Ottawa-Glandorf on Saturday.
Coldwater is a "cinderella" only if they beat OG.

CW has been the highest seeded team in every game they played so far.
Old 03-09-18, 01:04 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
The Lima Senior district is surprising weak this year. Coldwater has - years ago upset O-G - but in Ada @ ONU. This Titan team was upset last by Elida & denied their 7th consecutive trip to regionals ( while playing in D2 & D 3) - I expect the Cav's to give the TItans a better game then they have seen to date - but this would be a huge upset to expect Coldwater to win this.
Would like to see a Coldwater upset, but this OG team is very good esp. Kaufman. Doubt if Coldwater comes with in 20 pts. of OG.
Old 03-09-18, 02:26 PM
All Region

Quote:
Would like to see a Coldwater upset, but this OG team is very good esp. Kaufman. Doubt if Coldwater comes with in 20 pts. of OG.
Plus very deep - they rotate no less than 5 guards ( go 9 deep seeing court time in tight " high pressure " games - Lima Senior, Archbold, Findlay etc.) - that all put excellent pressure on the ball & rarely get beaten on the boards. That is tough to overcome. Coldwater has done it before to O-G - in '85 ( ?) at King horn they beat the Titans after losing in the regular season by double digits at Coldwater. But they shot OVER 80% from the field to do so and from memory only won by 2-3 points !!

On this years game - Coldwater - I am sure will give O-G a game early, and certainly play better than Paulding did last night. I don't know if 20 is my expectation - I give the Cav's more credit than that - but wouldn't be surprised to see this in double digits either.
Old 03-09-18, 08:42 PM
All American

I think our biggest hope is O-G having an off night. If not I'd say OG 71 CW 60. Oh and as for the Cinderella remark, you gotta keep in mind we haven't even been this far in almost a decade. Heck 14 wins is the most since 2010.
Old 03-09-18, 10:39 PM
All District

CJK84 is on a distinguished road
ML defeats SH 39-38 in OT in a game that was offensively ugly.

Skins stalled on offense for much of the game and had too many turnovers. Played excellent d, however, and rebounded really well.

Marion was seemingly thrown off-balance in all phases of the game by the significant d adjustments they had to make to counter SH's unexpected O tactics. Flyers were about 12-25 from the free throw line and looked out of synch fairly often on O.

Big #40 for SH (Caden Niekamp?) neutralized Mescher quite well - he's probably the only player I've seen in the last two seasons who could truly hold his ground against Mescher (maybe because he's the only one who outweighs him). Niekamp appeared to be the victim of two bad calls - the kind of calls that seem to usually go against the bigger kid when defending a smaller player.

Although I admire Rosenbeck for trying the stall-ball tactics since it seemed to catch Marion off guard and threw the Flyers off balance on both ends of the court, I believe it also may have prevented SH from getting into a good flow offensively.

End of regulation was only 27-27.

Very tough win for ML - tough loss I'm sure for SH.
Old 03-09-18, 10:43 PM
All District

CJK84 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think our biggest hope is O-G having an off night. If not I'd say OG 71 CW 60. Oh and as for the Cinderella remark, you gotta keep in mind we haven't even been this far in almost a decade. Heck 14 wins is the most since 2010.
I saw the recent Coldwater-ML game.

Cavs had a horrible third quarter (outscored 17-3 I believe), but otherwise held their own against the Flyers. Cole Frilling was impressive most of the night - was mostly invisible in the crucial third quarter, but so was the entire Coldwater team.

Good luck to Cavs - hope they can pull off the upset.
Old 03-10-18, 07:33 PM
All American

They might drop 100 on us. These guys are insanely good. Time to break out the bats and balls.
Old 03-10-18, 07:59 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
63-43 OG midway thru the 3rd. Titans led 44-16 with 5:45 left in the first half and have put it on cruise control. A couple guys had tweaked ankles....gotta think taking a rest will help them stay healed up
Old 03-10-18, 08:00 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
72-48 after 3......OG and Archbold at BG on Wednesday....should be a good one
Old 03-11-18, 11:43 AM
All American

Quote:
They might drop 100 on us. These guys are insanely good. Time to break out the bats and balls.
Yes it is enjoyable to watch OG, their about the only team in West Central Ohio who can shoot the basketball with any consistency.
Old 03-11-18, 12:33 PM
All Ohio

buckeye1689 is on a distinguished road
Marion Local vs. Springfield Catholic Central will be one heck of a game Tuesday night at Trent Arena. Thoughts? Predictions? Should be an electric fun atmosphere. I'll go with ML in a toss up.
Old 03-11-18, 01:15 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1689 View Post
Marion Local vs. Springfield Catholic Central will be one heck of a game Tuesday night at Trent Arena. Thoughts? Predictions? Should be an electric fun atmosphere. I'll go with ML in a toss up.
No nothing about SCC. ML over all athletic good defensive team, offensively lack of a 3rd scorer and a true point guard keeps them I believe from winning this region.
Old 03-11-18, 01:39 PM
All Ohio

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes it is enjoyable to watch OG, their about the only team in West Central Ohio who can shoot the basketball with any consistency.
They do have one nice advantage in that their high school has three elementary schools = three junior high basketball teams = 15 starters that feed into their system. Lots of experienced kids.
Old 03-12-18, 07:27 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay Fan View Post
They do have one nice advantage in that their high school has three elementary schools = three junior high basketball teams = 15 starters that feed into their system. Lots of experienced kids.
The cupboard is full -far from bare- they all play at a high level ! JR high I believe the SPPS won their tournament - Glandorf the 8th grade WBL tournament, along with the freshman squad - plus the JV's all Sophomores and a freshman only lost 1 game this past year ?