Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-02-18, 01:57 PM
Varsity

NotCharlesBarkley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangNation17 View Post
Great analysis! Thanks for sharing the info with us. Only thing I would say is that Elyria always seems to have bad middle school teams and then somehow come together for a pretty decent high school squad.
Elyria has a great young coach in Brett Larrick, one of their own all-time best players.

Plus he has coached the last 10 seasons there, so a very stable program.
Old 03-02-18, 02:19 PM
All Ohio

Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCharlesBarkley View Post
Elyria has a great young coach in Brett Larrick, one of their own all-time best players.

Plus he has coached the last 10 seasons there, so a very stable program.
Ditto for Joe Mackey at Brunswick. He's done a fabulous job!
Old 03-03-18, 11:58 AM
All American

SVillegrad
Quote:
Great analysis! Thanks for sharing the info with us. Only thing I would say is that Elyria always seems to have bad middle school teams and then somehow come together for a pretty decent high school squad.
Yeah, and to be fair, Elyria's talent is diluted since they have three middle school teams instead of two like Medina, Brunswick and Strongsville. But it was beyond bad. From what I saw, it's going to take a miracle for Elyria to be competitive if these are the same group of kids they will have to work with at the high school level.

My nephew was on Claggett's 7th grade team, so I went to most of the games. I didn't go to the Westwood game, but he told me his team beat them 65-15 (the Claggett 7th grade team was decent, finished third in regular season and fourth in the tournament, losing to the better of the two Strongsville teams in the third-place tourney game). He said the Claggett 8th grade team (which did have a ton of talent) beat Westwood 91-9, and Claggett's best player didn't play.

I did see Eastern Heights and Northwood, and outside of Eastern Heights' 7th grade team, it was just as bad.

Eastern Heights' 7th grade team was somewhat competitive (though went 0-3 against Claggett, but one was a 3 OT game) because they had one stud and another kid who was pretty good, but that was it. The 8th grade team had one kid who looked good, but beyond that nothing. I'd guess that Eastern Heights' 7th grade team would have beat their 8th grade team by double digits. The first 8th grade game between Claggett and Eastern Heights, the score was something like 65-10 after three when I took off. The second time, Claggett didn't play their top kids more than 5 minutes, and still won by 40-plus.

Northwood was even worse. The 7th grade games were both 30-plus point losses (and neither game Northwood cracked 20 points). At 8th, the first game, Northwood scored the first point of the game (a kid split a pair of free throws) and Claggett then ran off 45 straight points before a Northwood kid heaved up a prayer 3-pointer right before halftime that banked in. Northwood didn't score a point in the second half. I didn't bother watching the second time they played.

Out of Elyria's six teams, only Eastern Heights' 7th grade team was even competitive. The other five were substantially the worst teams in the league. For example, the one Strongsville 8th grade team, IMO, looked pretty bad (probably the worse of the non-Elyria teams). They were overmatched by Claggett, but at least kept it somewhat competitive and looked like they at least belonged on the same floor.

Back to Strongsville, hopefully they can stabilize the coaching situation because there is some talent coming up from what I saw. Not sure what it will amount to in terms of wins because the GCC is one of the premier leagues in the state and I know Medina and Brunswick aren't going to fall off, and you know the eastside teams are going to always be talented.
Old 03-03-18, 08:13 PM
Junior Varsity

svilleresident92 is on a distinguished road
Strongsville stuns Elyria by 19, 63-44.

Pulling out to a 10-0, Strongsville never trailed.
Old 03-03-18, 08:15 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Medina has improved as the season has progressed, including a win over Elyria.

Not real optimistic for Friday against Shaker, even less so for Solon but maybe win #4 with be against Berea-Midpark.

No doubt we are all hoping for a huge tournament run, Avon, Elyria, Olmsted Falls and finally Lorain for a District title.
Looks like the run is underway with Avon and Elyria eliminated.
Old 03-04-18, 12:24 AM
All American

mustang fan is on a distinguished road
Strongsville dominates and embarrasses Elyria on its home floor.
Mustangs led from opening tip to the final horn. Every time the Pioneers attempted to make a run to close the gap, the Mustangs responded.

Also, Medina beats Brunswick and Berea/Midpark knocks off Olmsted Falls. I want to see that trifecta ticket and meet its holder!

Last edited by mustang fan; 03-04-18 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-04-18, 09:17 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang fan View Post
Strongsville dominates and embarrasses Elyria on its home floor.
Mustangs led from opening tip to the final horn. Every time the Pioneers attempted to make a run to close the gap, the Mustangs responded.

Also, Medina beats Brunswick and Berea/Midpark knocks off Olmsted Falls. I want to see that trifecta ticket and meet its holder!
A win over Berea-Midpark would setup a District championship game against Lorain. Nobody was betting on that one either.
Old 03-04-18, 10:11 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by svilleresident92 View Post
A win over Berea-Midpark would setup a District championship game against Lorain. Nobody was betting on that one either.
Tourney time, be it at the high school or college level, does produce these sort of eye-opening surprises...And, given how this district tourney has played out so far, are you feeling that confident that Lorain will be in the final?

Last edited by mustang fan; 03-04-18 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-04-18, 03:48 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Tourney time, be it at the high school or college level, does produce these sort of eye-opening surprises...And, given how this district tourney has played out so far, are you feeling that confident that Lorain will be in the final?
Lorain has not lost to a west side team this year, just 5 loses to: Garfield Heights, 2X Cleveland Heights, Maple Heights and Cleveland Central Catholic (all of whom would likely do quite well in the Elyria district).

Based on that analysis, it is unlikely that Midview win post an upset.

But of course you never know.
Old 03-05-18, 10:44 AM
Varsity

FlannMann87 is on a distinguished road
Strongsville knocks off Avon and Coach Sapara. A coach everyone in Strongsville would of been happy to have come home. Sapara is a good coach. Just shows that even good coaches need talent.
Old 03-05-18, 10:59 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlannMann87 View Post
Strongsville knocks off Avon and Coach Sapara. A coach everyone in Strongsville would of been happy to have come home. Sapara is a good coach. Just shows that even good coaches need talent.
And they need kids with good character, too
Old 03-06-18, 11:04 AM
All American

Quote:
Lorain has not lost to a west side team this year, just 5 loses to: Garfield Heights, 2X Cleveland Heights, Maple Heights and Cleveland Central Catholic (all of whom would likely do quite well in the Elyria district).

Based on that analysis, it is unlikely that Midview win post an upset.

But of course you never know.
Remarkably, as for Berea/Midpark and Strongsville, one or the other, will make it to at least the district final...My money is on Strongsville. If placed in another district (Euclid or Solon for example) both squads would have probably been sought out by a top seeded team as an early round "soft touch" match-up.
Old 03-08-18, 11:06 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Remarkably, as for Berea/Midpark and Strongsville, one or the other, will make it to at least the district final...My money is on Strongsville. If placed in another district (Euclid or Solon for example) both squads would have probably been sought out by a top seeded team as an early round "soft touch" match-up.
Strongsville Mustangs keep rolling beating Berea-Midpark 58-40.

If Strongsville keeps playing this well, they will upset Lorain because they are way bigger and Lorain has no one to guard Peek.

Strategy is simple, donít turn the ball over on the press, make shots and they will be rewarded with a trip to Toledo (so they can lose to St. Edís.)
Old 03-08-18, 11:46 PM
All World

3out2in is on a distinguished road
Quote:

If Strongsville keeps playing this well, they will upset Lorain because they are way bigger and Lorain has no one to guard Peek.

Strategy is simple, donít turn the ball over on the press, make shots and they will be rewarded with a trip to Toledo (so they can lose to St. Edís.)
They would only have to travel to Akron to lose to Ed's.
Old 03-09-18, 09:43 AM
All American

Quote:
...and they will be rewarded with a trip to Toledo (so they can lose to St. Edís.)
No chance that Eds falls to Iggy...
Old 03-09-18, 10:07 AM
Varsity

Quote:
No chance that Eds falls to Iggy...
Are you trying to jinx the Eagles?

Shot out to the Mustangs. Some rough years, so those kids deserve the run they are on.
Old 03-09-18, 11:09 AM
Freshman

MustangNation17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I hope you are correct, but come on. You have to realize that while Strongsville is playing well, they aren't exactly playing any challenging teams. The way they beat Elyria was impressive, but we SHOULD beat teams like Avon and Berea. None of those teams are anywhere near the caliber of Lorain. Lorain should win this game by 20, and if we play really really well, I would think maybe we keep it at an 8-10 point loss. If that happens, it would in no way lessen what they managed to accomplish in the playoffs. You still have to go out and beat those teams and we did. But unfortunately Lorain is going to end this run. Avon got to the rim easily on us but couldnt finish. Elyria couldn't finish. Lorain will be able to finish and thats the difference here.
Old 03-09-18, 12:26 PM
All American

Quote:
...but we SHOULD beat teams like Avon and Berea. None of those teams are anywhere near the caliber of Lorain. Lorain should win this game by 20, and if we play really really well, I would think maybe we keep it at an 8-10 point loss...
Yeah, I agree that Stronsgville should beat teams like Berea and Avon, and, as I alluded previously, if in another district teams like Berea and Strongsville would probably have been sought out as soft touches by stout squads looking for a stepping stone to the next round long before the district semi. However, the Mustangs are still playing and get a chance to move on...Who predicted that going into district play?...And after the abysmal regular season they have had, this is, in my opinion anyway, quite an accomplishment.
Old 03-09-18, 01:05 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
That’s the neat thing about the OHSAA tournament: a couple good weeks can put a nice shine on four wretched months
Old 03-09-18, 01:39 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
I can't believe Strongsville is in a district final. Kudos to them. Medina was also a bottom dwelling GCC team that found tournament success, also making a district final. It shows how tough the league is, the turnaround the coach/players found, and also shows the gap in the depth of quality teams between Elyria/Strongsville and Solon/Euclid.
Old 03-09-18, 04:17 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
I can't believe Strongsville is in a district final. Kudos to them. Medina was also a bottom dwelling GCC team that found tournament success, also making a district final. It shows how tough the league is, the turnaround the coach/players found, and also shows the gap in the depth of quality teams between Elyria/Strongsville and Solon/Euclid.
It is an accomplishment that Strongsville is still playing while other very good teams have been sidelined elsewhere...Let's not lose perspective as to how it came to be for the Mustangs though...Stronsgville had 4 regular season wins...Two of those wins came at the hands of Avon and Berea...Two of the three district opponents...So, the path has been pretty favorable thus far...The other two regular season wins came against Medina the first time around (their lone conference win) and Royalton. Yes, the Mustangs do have a tourney win against Elyria as well and looking pretty impressive in the process...A team they lost to twice during the regular season.
Bottom line, a nice tourney run thus far for the 'Stangs, but, it is not as if they have beaten Mentor and Solon, or Iggy and Eds in consecutive outings.

Last edited by mustang fan; 03-09-18 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-10-18, 03:11 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
I've been saying all year that Strongsville has talent. I'm glad the Mustangs are having a great tournament. I'm pulling for S-ville tonight. Beat Lorain!!
Old 03-10-18, 09:32 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
I've been saying all year that Strongsville has talent. I'm glad the Mustangs are having a great tournament. I'm pulling for S-ville tonight. Beat Lorain!!
Strongsville loses tonight 58-55 as their flurry of 3's in the final couple minutes missed including a final Joe Lake shot at the buzzer.

A pretty bad Strongsville (or great Lorain) 3rd quarter by turned a 35-28 half-time lead from Strongsville into a Lorain 47-46 lead entering the 4th quarter.

Overall a great game to watch or listen to as the Mustangs almost upset the heavily favored Titans.
Old 03-11-18, 01:35 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Strongsville loses tonight 58-55 as their flurry of 3's in the final couple minutes missed including a final Joe Lake shot at the buzzer.

A pretty bad Strongsville (or great Lorain) 3rd quarter by turned a 35-28 half-time lead from Strongsville into a Lorain 47-46 lead entering the 4th quarter.

Overall a great game to watch or listen to as the Mustangs almost upset the heavily favored Titans.

Maybe you have more insight than me, but possibly you can answer a question that everyone in my section was wondering. You are down 3, for pretty much the entire final minute of the game, and they treated it as if they had 5 seconds left to score. Never even really considered a 2 and then fouling. But the bigger question is if you have decided you are going to try to quickly tie it up with a 3, how do you keep your best 3 point shooter on the bench Ali, who i believe was 4 for 5 in threes that game? Or even Timmy who pretty consistently hits when he plays. Or for that matter, throw Massey out there for a deep 3 and hope he's having one of his on nights. Dont get me wrong, it was an amazing great effort by the Mustangs the entire game. But that ending just leaves me puzzled. Both their star players had 4 fouls, so attack them, knowing they will try to avoid fouling you, and better yet, knowing Lorain doesnt want to give up a 3.
Old 03-11-18, 02:54 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Maybe you have more insight than me, but possibly you can answer a question that everyone in my section was wondering. You are down 3, for pretty much the entire final minute of the game, and they treated it as if they had 5 seconds left to score. Never even really considered a 2 and then fouling. But the bigger question is if you have decided you are going to try to quickly tie it up with a 3, how do you keep your best 3 point shooter on the bench Ali, who i believe was 4 for 5 in threes that game? Or even Timmy who pretty consistently hits when he plays. Or for that matter, throw Massey out there for a deep 3 and hope he's having one of his on nights. Dont get me wrong, it was an amazing great effort by the Mustangs the entire game. But that ending just leaves me puzzled. Both their star players had 4 fouls, so attack them, knowing they will try to avoid fouling you, and better yet, knowing Lorain doesnt want to give up a 3.
Agreed, all the forced 3's was a poor choice. What ended up as being the mistake was not taking a few quick 2 point baskets inside and then fouling since Lorain ended up shooting 25% from the line over the final few minutes.

And yes, Massey, Ali, or Timmy should have taken some of those shots and the final 3, not Joe off the top of the backboard. Oh well, Lorain gets to lose by 20 to St. Ed's next at Akron.
Old 03-12-18, 10:24 AM
Varsity

The Mustangs gave it all they had. About what you would expect for a team that has not been in many close games. Give them credit. They never game up on the season and played Lorain down to the wire. Does this cement Coach Lip for next season?
Old 03-12-18, 02:12 PM
Varsity

Quote:
The Mustangs gave it all they had. About what you would expect for a team that has not been in many close games. Give them credit. They never game up on the season and played Lorain down to the wire. Does this cement Coach Lip for next season?
Everyone loves that 3 point line now whether they need a 3 or not. I blame Steph Curry for wrecking a generation of youth basketball.
Old 03-13-18, 01:24 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Agreed, all the forced 3's was a poor choice. What ended up as being the mistake was not taking a few quick 2 point baskets inside and then fouling since Lorain ended up shooting 25% from the line over the final few minutes.

And yes, Massey, Ali, or Timmy should have taken some of those shots and the final 3, not Joe off the top of the backboard. Oh well, Lorain gets to lose by 20 to St. Ed's next at Akron.

And just to be clear, I dont particularly blame the players for taking those shots at the end, especially Joe. It got passed to him, and the clock and situation were not on his side. Plus like someone else said, they aren't used to that situation and probably forced things a bit. I would expect the coach to call the timeout though maybe after the first missed 3 and make sure the right personnel were out there and that they were all on the same page strategy wise. Nevertheless, great run!
Old 03-14-18, 08:35 AM
All American

Quote:
...Does this cement Coach Lip for next season?
Team seemed to respond in a positive way to him. Plus, if the district elects to retain Coach Lip, it will avoid the possibility of having to create a sham of a teaching position and/or pay higher up on the salary scale (as the district did with the two head football coaches since running off Jacques) in securing a head boys basketball coach.
Old 03-14-18, 09:07 AM
Varsity

What do they have to lose by keeping the guy? Look what Strongsville ended up with last time.