Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-01-18, 06:53 PM
Junior Varsity

svilleresident92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangNation17 View Post
And rumor has it the mother in the interview was actually the wife of the assistant coach who STARTED the fight with Guilfoyle.
Well, that narrows it down to exactly one person because only one person was an assistant coach with a son on the team, lol.
Old 02-01-18, 07:01 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Well there you have it. The people have gotten their way, and Coach G was fired! And then you replace him with someone who is a great motivational speaker, but doesnt actually know squat about basketball. The only reason they are winning this year is because the freshmen have some talent.
Surely Coach Lipowski would have picked up some basketball knowledge coaching in the district over the past 20 years, lol. But no doubt everyone has their bias. At 2-12 this year, the players probably could have pulled starters out of a hat for each game, coached themselves and had the same record.
Old 02-01-18, 08:38 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Any coach that gets the opportunity will run the score up on this guy
Old 02-02-18, 10:00 AM
Varsity

NotCharlesBarkley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
Any coach that gets the opportunity will run the score up on this guy
I sense a deep darkness in the force, a presence that I fear growing stronger. Resist the temptations of the darkside or succumb to its evil forever.

With 3 games in 5 days with Elyria, Shaker and North Royalton, all teams with a winning records, your theory may be tested very soon.
Old 02-03-18, 10:31 PM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
And rumor has it the mother in the interview was actually the wife of the assistant coach who STARTED the fight with Guilfoyle.
seems like a reliable independent witness
Old 02-05-18, 12:41 PM
Freshman

MustangMom is on a distinguished road
The administration had a guy last year ready to hire who the boys were excited to meet and believed would bring some good energy and enthusiasm to the program. It was all but done until our BOE President stepped in and chose to not support the hire. First step is to ask for the BOE President to step down, as he is a major part of the problem and no part of any solution. Then those in charge of the next hire need to teach out to the coach they wanted to hire last year and see if he still thinks this job is a good one. If he does then they need to hire him immediately so these boys can have a basketball program. Instead of letting a clumsy process cost them another year of trying to actually improve. I said last summer this was going to be bad. My son does not complain about bullying or verbal abuse or inappropriate lanhuage. He just wants to play basketball for someone who can make him better. We had that guy. Time to find him and hire him.
Old 02-05-18, 01:02 PM
All American

mustang fan is on a distinguished road
I've been hoping for about a month now (see post #89 of this thread) that you would come onto this forum and weigh in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMom View Post
...First step is to ask for the BOE President to step down, as he is a major part of the problem and no part of any solution...
Don't hold your breath on the BOE President (or any board member) stepping down...Even if Naso did step down, you would just get another current member appointed to the top spot.

Like I indicated last May (post #73 of this thread), given that the district is pretty much screwed up all the way around, it doesn't appear that anybody else new wants onto the Board...Two current members were re-elected last November as they ran unopposed.
Old 02-05-18, 03:13 PM
Freshman

I'm not being hateful. I want the best for all these boys, if course my son being my 1st priority. I was no part of any parent movement to get Coach removed. I teach my son to respect whoever coaches and I teach him he needs to deal with disappointment and earn everything he gets. I never want to see anyone lose their job. This one just had no chance from the start. First it was this coach then that big name. I don't think this program necessarily needs a big name, whatever that even means. It's high school basketball. This program needs a man who knows how to come in build relationships with the boys and be patient while also pushing them to be their best. I'm not all hung up on how many wins. I think wins happen after the other things are in place. I did my research on the man the administration wanted to hire and I was excited for my son and his friends what he would bring to our program. The boys were excited. Then they all of a sudden changed it up cuz one BOE member decided to play expert and this is what we got. Another wasted year. I feel badly for all involved including the fired coach. Just very, very frustrating because my son invests a lot.
Old 02-05-18, 03:41 PM
Freshman

Zipper86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm not being hateful. I want the best for all these boys, if course my son being my 1st priority. I was no part of any parent movement to get Coach removed. I teach my son to respect whoever coaches and I teach him he needs to deal with disappointment and earn everything he gets. I never want to see anyone lose their job. This one just had no chance from the start. First it was this coach then that big name. I don't think this program necessarily needs a big name, whatever that even means. It's high school basketball. This program needs a man who knows how to come in build relationships with the boys and be patient while also pushing them to be their best. I'm not all hung up on how many wins. I think wins happen after the other things are in place. I did my research on the man the administration wanted to hire and I was excited for my son and his friends what he would bring to our program. The boys were excited. Then they all of a sudden changed it up cuz one BOE member decided to play expert and this is what we got. Another wasted year. I feel badly for all involved including the fired coach. Just very, very frustrating because my son invests a lot.
Do we have any idea who this coach was? HC somewhere else?
Old 02-05-18, 08:10 PM
Freshman

I don't want to start the rumor mill on names because he may be coaching somewhere and I don't think stating his name is fair to him or our program right now. I will tell you i read his team made the big school Final Four in the state where he coached two years ago so you dont have to look back ten years to find success. And he is originally from Ohio and was trying to move back. It doesnt really matter if we won't hire him anyway.
Old 02-05-18, 08:46 PM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper86 View Post
Do we have any idea who this coach was? HC somewhere else?
He was mentioned earlier in the thread, post #70.
Old 02-06-18, 07:29 AM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by redskin1966 View Post
The mystery mans name is Matt Kramer,he coached at Fairless and Canton South, before moving to Georgia. He coached at Milton High School in Georgia before being let go on Jan 5, 2017, nobody is saying why he was let go. He was a candidate but , sources tell me that Guiilfoyle was the coach that Naso wanted all along, Guillfoyle is a good friend of Tucker Neal, that's all you need to know.
Old 02-06-18, 11:39 AM
Varsity

If you read the articles, that guy lasted less time at his last job than Coach Joe G did this year.
Old 02-06-18, 01:28 PM
Freshman

He left there for far different reasons than our former coach left here. He went to the Final 4 in 2016 and here is an article of why he returned to Ohio. No comparison. http://41b.f3a.myftpupload.com/layin...liberty-union/
Old 02-06-18, 01:31 PM
Freshman

And he was there for 4 years, and has players playing in college at Navy, Harvard, Duke and others right now. Who do you think is going to bring those kind of connections here? Ita about serving our student athletes. Not saying we have kids who can play at those places but a coach that has done that stuff brings experience here that not many others could. Nobody is gonna be perfect. It's time to choose the one who offers our kids the most.
Old 02-06-18, 02:16 PM
All American

Please excuse my ignorance, but, is Guilfoyle relieved of his coaching duties at Strongsville? From reading recent posts on this thread, that would appear to be the case, however, I haven't heard and/or read anything official from the district (or elsewhere) regarding this.
Old 02-06-18, 02:18 PM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
The whole situation really stinks. A friend of mine had a son who played there when Lynch was the coach. The program has deteriorated badly since then. Sounds to me like the BOE needs to do their job by letting the AD and Principal of the building do theirs and not think they are in control.
Old 02-06-18, 02:34 PM
Freshman

MustangNation17 is on a distinguished road
What do you mean, the next coach? From what I hear Coach Lip is already telling the boys about what his open gym schedule will be like this summer. Either he's under the impression that he will remain the coach, or else its just wishful thinking. But I actually wouldn't be surprised to see him retained since he is obviously loved as a person/teacher by the kids, not only on the team but throughout the district. And the parents caused such an unnecessary uproar over Coach Guilfoyle that it would be just like the BOE to say "well at least we won't have that problem with Lipowski".
Old 02-06-18, 05:08 PM
Freshman

I'm all for anyone who can help the boys get better and have a positive experience. If it's Coach Lip then so be it. If it's someone else who brings more experience, that would be fine too. But this time the board needs to let the administration do their job and support the decision then together support the coach.
Old 02-06-18, 11:30 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang fan View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but, is Guilfoyle relieved of his coaching duties at Strongsville? From reading recent posts on this thread, that would appear to be the case, however, I haven't heard and/or read anything official from the district (or elsewhere) regarding this.
Gone. There was a Fox8 story on this.
Old 02-06-18, 11:46 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
I'm all for anyone who can help the boys get better and have a positive experience. If it's Coach Lip then so be it. If it's someone else who brings more experience, that would be fine too. But this time the board needs to let the administration do their job and support the decision then together support the coach.
Definitely a positive atmosphere tonight in beating North Royalton 84-67.

Last weekend, the team was competitive losing to Elyria on a last second shot and hanging with Shaker until Peek fouled out on what Strongsville fans would consider a questionable call.

Coach Lip had coached almost everyone on this year's team when they were freshman and it looks like they are responding well to him as head coach.
Old 02-06-18, 11:58 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
What do you mean, the next coach? From what I hear Coach Lip is already telling the boys about what his open gym schedule will be like this summer. Either he's under the impression that he will remain the coach, or else its just wishful thinking. But I actually wouldn't be surprised to see him retained since he is obviously loved as a person/teacher by the kids, not only on the team but throughout the district. And the parents caused such an unnecessary uproar over Coach Guilfoyle that it would be just like the BOE to say "well at least we won't have that problem with Lipowski".
If you polled his current and former players, Coach Lip wins a vote to return in a landslide.
Old 02-07-18, 10:54 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCharlesBarkley View Post
Gone. There was a Fox8 story on this.
Thanks.
Old 02-14-18, 01:42 PM
All American

Tack on another loss by the Mustangs as they fell short against Medina at home...A team they beat earlier in the season for their lone conference win. 3 wins on the season so far. Schedule shows remaining conference match-ups against Shaker and Solon and non-conference game against Berea/Midpark sandwich in between the two conference games.
Old 02-16-18, 11:49 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang fan View Post
Tack on another loss by the Mustangs as they fell short against Medina at home...A team they beat earlier in the season for their lone conference win. 3 wins on the season so far. Schedule shows remaining conference match-ups against Shaker and Solon and non-conference game against Berea/Midpark sandwich in between the two conference games.
Medina has improved as the season has progressed, including a win over Elyria.

Not real optimistic for Friday against Shaker, even less so for Solon but maybe win #4 with be against Berea-Midpark.

No doubt we are all hoping for a huge tournament run, Avon, Elyria, Olmsted Falls and finally Lorain for a District title.
Old 02-16-18, 05:14 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCharlesBarkley View Post
...No doubt we are all hoping for a huge tournament run, Avon, Elyria, Olmsted Falls and finally Lorain for a District title.
One of the Mustangs wins this season is against Avon...Their opening round opponent in the post season.
Old 02-17-18, 12:34 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Who won the Strongsville-Shaker game? I can't find a score.
Old 02-17-18, 12:46 PM
All American

FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
Who won the Strongsville-Shaker game? I can't find a score.
Shaker 87-63.
Old 02-17-18, 12:47 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Thank you.
Old 02-18-18, 11:34 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
Thank you.
You guys are going to wreck Senior Night, lol.