Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-09-18, 05:28 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Darkest Hour - Gary Oldmen earned that Oscar. Great film, covering an important subject in a fairly accurate manner.

7/8
Old 03-10-18, 04:46 PM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Logan Lucky- 5.75/8. Pretty good movie for a comedy, nothing ground breaking, but still worth a watch.
Old 03-10-18, 05:47 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
I finally saw Get Out (5.75/8). Good movie, not too long and to the point. Unsure if I'd say it is Oscar material but that is mostly due to where movies today are heading (India/China drive the market - they love explosions and fast cars ).
Old 03-11-18, 01:23 AM
All Yappi

Game Night- 5.25/8. Again, not bad for a comedy. Jesse Plemons playing the weird neighbor was hilarious
Old 03-11-18, 01:04 PM
All Yappi

Dirty Work- comedy scale- 7.25/8. Totally underrated comedy, should be as heralded as Happy Gilmore or the Hangover
Old 03-11-18, 03:30 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Had some downtime last night. Watched Animal House (again). That thing still makes me laugh out loud.

8/8
Old 03-11-18, 05:05 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Logan Lucky - 4/8

Atomic Blonde - 5/8
Old 03-11-18, 06:55 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Imitation Game: 7/8 rewatch. Really puts this years WWII movies to shame. I can't think of once in this year's mess I teared or wanted to shout, got emotional at all. If Churchill had the charisma displayed by Oldman, they'd have kept Chamberlain. I'd rather watch The Piano.

Wonder if I can track down Bridge of Spies?
Old 03-12-18, 06:21 PM
All Yappi

Blde Runner 2049 6/8 Thought it would be a sucky rip-off but they merged in with a pretty good story I thought. Maybe going Terminator with this? A series of movies?
Old 03-12-18, 08:25 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
What Movies Did You Watch in March 2018?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Blde Runner 2049 6/8 Thought it would be a sucky rip-off but they merged in with a pretty good story I thought. Maybe going Terminator with this? A series of movies?

Probably not. It bombed financially, just like the original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-18, 08:32 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
It made around $260m on a $185m budget. Somehow they ended up spending more on promotion than the film itself. It's up there with Three Billboards and Baby Driver as my favorite of the past year.
Old 03-13-18, 07:31 AM
All World

Quote:
Imitation Game: 7/8 rewatch. Really puts this years WWII movies to shame. I can't think of once in this year's mess I teared or wanted to shout, got emotional at all. If Churchill had the charisma displayed by Oldman, they'd have kept Chamberlain. I'd rather watch The Piano.

Wonder if I can track down Bridge of Spies?
Imitation Game was a great movie. Biopics are a different matter. Darkest Hour was a straight on linear story based on the experience of one old man whose actions, arguably, saved Western Europe. Yeah, he didn't crack the German code, he didn't land on Normandie, and he didn't parachute into German occupied France, so it is hard to make his story a suspense film or an action film. Did they effectively tell Churchill's story? Yes they did. Did they effectively put you in that place and time? Yes they did.
Old 03-13-18, 05:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Imitation Game was a great movie. Biopics are a different matter. Darkest Hour was a straight on linear story based on the experience of one old man whose actions, arguably, saved Western Europe. Yeah, he didn't crack the German code, he didn't land on Normandie, and he didn't parachute into German occupied France, so it is hard to make his story a suspense film or an action film. Did they effectively tell Churchill's story? Yes they did. Did they effectively put you in that place and time?
nope.

Did I ask for a suspense or action film? Did I pan it on that basis?

nope.

Even more, of linear biopics about old men, Harry Met Tonto was better. Even marginal acting jobs can win the oscar if enough people for some reason want them to win the oscar.

What it was, was a movie about a popular topic and a popular character played by a popular actor. I just didn't find the portrayal believably...charismatic. I expect that "a man whose actions, arguably, saved Western Europe" would be reasonably charismatic. I didn't find Oldman's portrayal charismatic. Not someone I could imagine a nation like England, following. I found the portrayal...bland and hopefully forgettable.
Old 03-13-18, 05:35 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Morgan (2016)

Horror: Morgan is not your ordinary 5 year old girl. She or It was artificially created using an experimental DNA splicing or something like that. Well, there was an accident and now a risk-management consultant must visit the secret base to see if the project should be terminated. Intriguing film that I enjoyed for the most part.... 5.0/8

Attack of the Killer Donuts (2016)

Comedy/Horror: OK, obviously these guys have seen "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" and decided for some reason to have donuts rise up. Green reanimation serum (You know that stuff from the movie Re-Animator which by the way if you have not seen it it is a must see) gets mixed into the fryer oil and causes donuts to come to life and attack. OK, I have mentioned some of my pet peeves in movies over the years and this one has a few. 1) Glazed donuts that go into the fryer come out as all different types of donuts.... What, how does that work. 2) If you buy a dozen donuts and they come alive when at your house there should be no more than a dozen of them when they attack... not 30+ which happens in this film. 3) No consistency on when the donuts turn. Some turn right away and jump out of the fryer while others takes hours and hours to turn.....

I'm sure these guys were just having fun but this one was boring. The humor felt forced and with little or no score put me to sleep.... 2.0/8
Old 03-13-18, 08:00 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
It made around $260m on a $185m budget. Somehow they ended up spending more on promotion than the film itself. It's up there with Three Billboards and Baby Driver as my favorite of the past year.

In the movie business, thatís a huge bomb. Generally, a film has to make twice its production budget to turn a profit.

Old 03-14-18, 01:55 PM
All World

There Will Be Blood (2007) - I try to see all of the critically acclaimed films each year but given time and resources and negotiations with my Wife, I always miss one or two. It is hard to believe that it took me ten years to catch up to it.

Great film. Day-Lewis was phenomenal in it. The heartrending thing about the film was that Day-Lewis was able to show the glimmer of good in his character, right before he turns to the darkside. His character might have been redeemed by what appears to be some amount of love for his adoptive son, for the growing affection for the man who claimed to be his brother and for his fondness for the little blonde girl, but each time, his sense of betrayal takes over his heart and mind, blocking out what good he might otherwise feel.

No Country for Old Men (2007) beat it for best picture. Was it a better film? In my view it was too close to call.

8/8
Old 03-14-18, 02:03 PM
All World

Quote:
nope.

Did I ask for a suspense or action film? Did I pan it on that basis?

nope.

Even more, of linear biopics about old men, Harry Met Tonto was better. Even marginal acting jobs can win the oscar if enough people for some reason want them to win the oscar.

What it was, was a movie about a popular topic and a popular character played by a popular actor. I just didn't find the portrayal believably...charismatic. I expect that "a man whose actions, arguably, saved Western Europe" would be reasonably charismatic. I didn't find Oldman's portrayal charismatic. Not someone I could imagine a nation like England, following. I found the portrayal...bland and hopefully forgettable.
I think it is Harry and Tonto (1974). I've always been an Art Carney fan. Anyway, we will have to agree to disagree. I hope you like Bridge of Spies (2015) better. I was very happy with Tom Hank's performance and the well told true story.
Old 03-14-18, 04:20 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
I think it is Harry and Tonto (1974). I've always been an Art Carney fan. Anyway, we will have to agree to disagree. I hope you like Bridge of Spies (2015) better. I was very happy with Tom Hank's performance and the well told true story.
lol, no, it was some old guy met a cat in Katz' Deli, NYC, the cat explains that cat-nip isn't all that, sometimes the reaction is fake, then they drive cross country. Harry Met Tonto.

It's a rewatch of Bridge. Definitely one I enjoyed enough to want to see it again.
Old 03-14-18, 05:28 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
The Boondock Saints (1999)- quirky fun film about Irish twin brothers in Boston who become vigilantes after killing members of the Russian mob in Boston. Willem Defoe plays a detective investigating the murders. I'd forgotten how good he can be. Odd film, but enjoyable. 6/8.

Crash (2004)- movie that focuses on racial prejudices with multiple characters whose lives overlap in the L.A. area. A little predictable in parts, but overall pretty good. Lots of familiar faces ( Sandra Bullock, Don Cheadle, Thandie Newton, Matt Dillon, Jennifer Esposito, William Fichtner, Brendan Fraser, Terrence Howard, Ludacris, Ryan Phillippe). 6.5/8.
Old 03-14-18, 06:18 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
Morgan (2016)

Horror: Morgan is not your ordinary 5 year old girl. She or It was artificially created using an experimental DNA splicing or something like that. Well, there was an accident and now a risk-management consultant must visit the secret base to see if the project should be terminated. Intriguing film that I enjoyed for the most part.... 5.0/8

Attack of the Killer Donuts (2016)

Comedy/Horror: OK, obviously these guys have seen "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" and decided for some reason to have donuts rise up. Green reanimation serum (You know that stuff from the movie Re-Animator which by the way if you have not seen it it is a must see) gets mixed into the fryer oil and causes donuts to come to life and attack. OK, I have mentioned some of my pet peeves in movies over the years and this one has a few. 1) Glazed donuts that go into the fryer come out as all different types of donuts.... What, how does that work. 2) If you buy a dozen donuts and they come alive when at your house there should be no more than a dozen of them when they attack... not 30+ which happens in this film. 3) No consistency on when the donuts turn. Some turn right away and jump out of the fryer while others takes hours and hours to turn.....

I'm sure these guys were just having fun but this one was boring. The humor felt forced and with little or no score put me to sleep.... 2.0/8
Donuts, eh? Who you gonna call? How about the cops!?!
Old 03-14-18, 06:40 PM
All World

Quote:
lol, no, it was some old guy met a cat in Katz' Deli, NYC, the cat explains that cat-nip isn't all that, sometimes the reaction is fake, then they drive cross country. Harry Met Tonto.
Ok, ok, then I'll have what she's having.
Old 03-15-18, 07:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Donuts, eh? Who you gonna call? How about the cops!?!

Old 03-16-18, 10:09 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
The Boondock Saints (1999)- quirky fun film about Irish twin brothers in Boston who become vigilantes after killing members of the Russian mob in Boston. Willem Defoe plays a detective investigating the murders. I'd forgotten how good he can be. Odd film, but enjoyable. 6/8.

Crash (2004)- movie that focuses on racial prejudices with multiple characters whose lives overlap in the L.A. area. A little predictable in parts, but overall pretty good. Lots of familiar faces ( Sandra Bullock, Don Cheadle, Thandie Newton, Matt Dillon, Jennifer Esposito, William Fichtner, Brendan Fraser, Terrence Howard, Ludacris, Ryan Phillippe). 6.5/8.
I remember when the Boondock Saints came out and everyone thought how cool it was to be Irish with all the stereotypical BS from that movie. Awful movie but Norman Reedus' coming out party.
Old 03-16-18, 10:10 AM
All World

I finally saw 3 Billboards Outside of Ebbing Missouri (6/8). I think it was better than Get Out but then again I went into this one with $hitty expectations and went into Get Out with high expectations so I'm sure that has something to do with it.
Old 03-16-18, 10:24 AM
All American

4cards will become famous soon enough
...Watched an old movie on TMC, "RainTree County" that I forgot was so good with an incredible cast featuring Montgomery Clift, Elizabeth Taylor, Eva Marie Saint, Lee Marvin "I'm the fastest man in Raintree County!" Set in the South prior the Civil War....7/8
Old 03-17-18, 01:49 PM
All Yappi

Game Night 5.5/8

A surprisingly well-made movie with excellent performances throughout. More of an action-comedy than a pure comedy, and it actually excels in it's action sequences. I would give it a higher rating if it weren't for the first few minutes.
Old 03-18-18, 09:40 AM
All World

I Tonya - I love to watch Margot Robbie work. I love to watch her, for obvious reasons, but I love to watch her work because she amazes me with her ability to lose herself in a role. In the past eighteen months I have seen her become a deranged villain (Suicide Squad 2016), a staid and somewhat bitchy British upper-class lady (Goodbye Christopher Robin 2017) and now she completely replicates every move, expression and idiosyncrasy of Tonya Harding. I remember the saga of Tonya and Nancy building up to and through the 1994 Winter Olympics very well and Robbie nails her portrayal of Tonya throughout that period.

The film itself is very funny in showing the relationships between Tonya, her husband and his delusional, basement dwelling, best friend. It is also tragic in depicting Tonya's hardscrabble upbringing, the abuse at the hands of her mother and then her husband and the discrimination she faced by the elites who ran the US skating organizations at the time.

Fine film.

7/8

Last edited by Purplemojo; 03-18-18 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-18-18, 12:18 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
In the movie business, that’s a huge bomb. Generally, a film has to make twice its production budget to turn a profit.

Yes, I know. My point was it was the studio's fault for throwing way too much money at the project. As a film, grossing $250m+ should not lose money. To do so is the result of a huge miscalculation by the production company. They treated the film like it was going to make Star Wars or Avengers money and there was no reason to expect that.
Old 03-18-18, 04:01 PM
All World

King Solomon's Mines (1950) - The best of the "Great White Hunter" movie I have seen.

6/8
Old 03-19-18, 10:59 AM
All Yappi

A Cure For Wellness (2016)

Psychological Horror: A stockbroker is sent to the Alps to bring back the companies CEO who did not return from vacation. He finds that he is at a mysterious wellness center where the secret is in the water. No one ever leaves he is told because nobody wants to but are things too good to be true. This one was intriguing and quickly sucked me in. It really doesn't hide what is going on but one cannot trust if the revealing is meant to throw you off. This could be the best film I see this month..... 6.0/8

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: