Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Mansfield St Peters by 1-10 3 27.27%
Mansfield St Peters by 11-20 6 54.55%
Mansfield St Peters by 21+ 1 9.09%
East Canton by 1-10 1 9.09%
East Canton by 11-20 0 0%
East Canton by 21+ 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-11-18, 05:26 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 49,652
Yappi will become famous soon enough
DIV Canton Regional Semifinal: Mansfield St Peters (26-0) vs East Canton (19-7)

DIV Canton Regional Semifinal: Mansfield St Peters (26-0) vs East Canton (19-7)

Who wins?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 03-11-18, 05:47 PM
111411's Avatar
111411 111411 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-01-05
Location: Grandpaville
Posts: 18,164
111411 is on a distinguished road
St. Pete's in a dogfight.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-12-18, 08:24 AM
Stark Born & Bred Stark Born & Bred is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-09-14
Posts: 2,277
Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
I have seen them both and I think St Pete will take this one by 8-12 points. East Canton needs St Pete to come out tight and start feeling the noose of being undefeated. If they can keep it close early, you never know but, all things being equal, St. Peter is the better team.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-12-18, 08:25 AM
Stark Born & Bred Stark Born & Bred is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-09-14
Posts: 2,277
Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Let's hope it is a better basketball game than the last time a member of the McBride Family took a team to regionals:

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...-final-return/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-13-18, 07:21 PM
The Butler's Avatar
The Butler The Butler is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-02-02
Location: Perry Twp., Stark Co.
Posts: 8,496
The Butler is on a distinguished road
East Canton up 12-10 after 1.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-13-18, 09:58 PM
Bluestreakoffice Bluestreakoffice is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-18-09
Posts: 1,379
Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
East Canton had a very nice team...played hard and stayed with Mansfield. Mansfield player who wore number 5 is a very good basketball player. They don't have him and what he could do, East Canton wins the game. The championship game will be a very good game, Cornerstone has 8 very good players and are very athletic, St Pete plays great D and seem to be better coached.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-13-18, 10:17 PM
Hayden Fox Hayden Fox is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-25-13
Location: With Dauber and Luther
Posts: 1,170
Hayden Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
What was the controversial call at the end that got the East Canton coach a T?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-13-18, 10:40 PM
nd31 miami 30 nd31 miami 30 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-15-06
Posts: 107
nd31 miami 30 is on a distinguished road
Refs missed a foul call, at least what looked like a foul call; kid got bumped. Then right after bump got called for double dribble. EC coach went nuts and got t'd up. MSP was the better team and deserved to win. EC put up a good fight though.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-13-18, 10:44 PM
Mr. Slippery's Avatar
Mr. Slippery Mr. Slippery is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: Slippery Rock
Posts: 18,243
Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
What was the controversial call at the end that got the East Canton coach a T?
Don't know that it was any one particular call that did it. The game was called very loose in the frontcourt but rather tight in the backcourt which put EC's 2 best players in foul trouble for most of the game. EC's coach thought there should've been a foul called when his PG was bumped, but no foul was called, and the contact may have led to a double dribble call on his PG that they did call. No idea if EC's coach said anything specific on that call that got him the "T," but he came too far out on the court to argue it (it was a touch foul in the backcourt), and that was enough to earn a "T" regardless of what was said.

EC had a very strong final 2/3 of the season. They went 16-3 after a 3-5 start, and 2 of those 3 losses were to DIV teams that will be playing on Saturday. They played hard tonight and got off to the kind of start they needed to make this a game and did all they could to stay in it, but St. Pete's 2 best players still got their points and helped their team advance. The regional final should be a heck of a game. I'm not going to label it the de facto state title game because there are some other teams DIV playing well right now that could get the job done next weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-13-18, 11:24 PM
Bluestreakoffice Bluestreakoffice is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-18-09
Posts: 1,379
Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Don't know that it was any one particular call that did it. The game was called very loose in the frontcourt but rather tight in the backcourt which put EC's 2 best players in foul trouble for most of the game. EC's coach thought there should've been a foul called when his PG was bumped, but no foul was called, and the contact may have led to a double dribble call on his PG that they did call. No idea if EC's coach said anything specific on that call that got him the "T," but he came too far out on the court to argue it (it was a touch foul in the backcourt), and that was enough to earn a "T" regardless of what was said.

EC had a very strong final 2/3 of the season. They went 16-3 after a 3-5 start, and 2 of those 3 losses were to DIV teams that will be playing on Saturday. They played hard tonight and got off to the kind of start they needed to make this a game and did all they could to stay in it, but St. Pete's 2 best players still got their points and helped their team advance. The regional final should be a heck of a game. I'm not going to label it the de facto state title game because there are some other teams DIV playing well right now that could get the job done next weekend.
Mr. Slippery as always a wealth of info....your description of how the game was called is spot on. I was amazed how they could beat on each other under the basket and nothing called yet get out in the open touch calls were the name of the game. Your description of the double dribble and the T is what happened. Now do you know what Number 14 said to the ref to get T'd up in the last 10 seconds?...it would be quite entertaining I think.

I also agree the regional final is going to be one good game to watch...it easily could be looked at as the championship game.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-14-18, 05:25 AM
IVCFan IVCFan is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 03-11-18
Posts: 32
IVCFan is on a distinguished road
Just add a few things.

The double dribble call on East Canton was called with 15 seconds left and East Canton looking to cut the lead to two. The East Canton guard appeared to get fouled, lost control of the ball that then went to another East Canton player and then back to the East Canton guard who was then called for double dribble.

It was a really, really unfortunate call against East Canton. Having said that, the coach gave the officials no choice but to all a T and like the other poster said I would love to know what #14 said because he was wearing the official out. It wasn't in your face disrespectful. If you weren't watching you wouldn't even know he was talking but he was definitely letting the officials know they blew that call.

MSP was the better team and deserved to win. Their free throw shooting was incredible and East Canton missed several from the line.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-14-18, 09:15 AM
Stark Born & Bred Stark Born & Bred is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-09-14
Posts: 2,277
Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
Now do you know what Number 14 said to the ref to get T'd up in the last 10 seconds?...it would be quite entertaining I think.
"You are f@%^ing horrible!" No adult should have to tolerate that word from any teenager during any sporting event.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-14-18, 09:19 AM
Stark Born & Bred Stark Born & Bred is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-09-14
Posts: 2,277
Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCFan View Post
It was a really, really unfortunate call against East Canton. Having said that, the coach gave the officials no choice but to all a T and like the other poster said I would love to know what #14 said because he was wearing the official out. It wasn't in your face disrespectful.
Agreed. You come out to half court and cause a scene and there is not an official who would or should do anything other than sit you back down and T you up. I thought Mike Popovich played protector in the newspaper this morning by not giving that T more context in his game article. It was integral to the game and he glossed over that and the player's T. EC coach ought to send him a fruit basket or something.

Great season for East Canton and a great tournament run. They should be able to do that in Struthers when they have a good team. Unfortunate end of the game, last night, though. I did not agree with the calls but McBride's and Moldovon's actions and language were a bit much for a casual fan. . . .the EC crowd seemed to eat it up.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-14-18, 09:23 AM
Stark Born & Bred Stark Born & Bred is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-09-14
Posts: 2,277
Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd31 miami 30 View Post
Refs missed a foul call, at least what looked like a foul call; kid got bumped. Then right after bump got called for double dribble. EC coach went nuts and got t'd up. MSP was the better team and deserved to win. EC put up a good fight though.
EC definitely put up a good fight. Having stayed for both games, I think that EC would have been the underdog again against Cornerstone. I think it is a difficult tournament hill to climb when you have to pull off two upsets in a week to advance.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-14-18, 12:32 PM
Stark Born & Bred Stark Born & Bred is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-09-14
Posts: 2,277
Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
The series of events at issue can be heard starting at about the 1:09:00 mark in the following broadcast:

https://soundcloud.com/user-19256965...eplay-03-13-18

Not surprisingly, given the distance from the court the press box is at the FH, they offer very little in terms of commentary as to the T other to say that McBride "deserved it." On that point, it appears we all agree.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-14-18, 10:15 PM
CCA Fan CCA Fan is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 03-17-14
Posts: 127
CCA Fan is on a distinguished road
Never saw EC play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
The series of events at issue can be heard starting at about the 1:09:00 mark in the following broadcast:

https://soundcloud.com/user-19256965...eplay-03-13-18

Not surprisingly, given the distance from the court the press box is at the FH, they offer very little in terms of commentary as to the T other to say that McBride "deserved it." On that point, it appears we all agree.
EC's big guy, #4? is a MAN. Wow, I was really impressed with him. Beast.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-15-18, 08:06 AM
Stark Born & Bred Stark Born & Bred is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-09-14
Posts: 2,277
Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCA Fan View Post
EC's big guy, #4? is a MAN. Wow, I was really impressed with him. Beast.
I loved the way he played and I thought they were very well-coached. Kyle McBride is an up-and-comer. Will he stay in EC for an extended stay or will he look for the first sweet offer out of town (like when Spurgeon parlayed the undefeated season and regional appearance into the New Philly job)? He may be a good fit at Hoover if the rumors about Blackledge are true.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIV Canton Regional Semifinal: Rittman (21-4) vs Cornerstone Christian (17-7) Yappi Boys Basketball 12 03-15-18 08:46 AM
Mid-season Rankings (all three divisions posted 1-4-17 late evening) bucksman Wrestling 32 02-09-18 12:10 AM
Preseason Rankings - statewide divisional (2017-18) bucksman Wrestling 18 12-18-17 09:07 AM
2017-2018 Basketball Schedules Yappi Boys Basketball 60 11-30-17 01:53 PM
2017 OHSAA Baseball Regional Pairings Yappi Baseball 7 05-23-17 10:22 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz