Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Leavittsburg LaBrae by 1-10 4 26.67%
Leavittsburg LaBrae by 11-20 4 26.67%
Leavittsburg LaBrae by 21+ 1 6.67%
Canton Central Catholic by 1-10 5 33.33%
Canton Central Catholic by 11-20 1 6.67%
Canton Central Catholic by 21+ 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-18, 01:55 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
DIII Canton Regional Semifinal: LaBrae (24-1) vs Canton Central Catholic (16-9)

DIII Canton Regional Semifinal: Leavittsburg LaBrae (24-1) vs Canton Central Catholic (16-9)

Who wins?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-18, 02:31 PM
All District

nd31 miami 30 is on a distinguished road
Central has played a much, much tougher schedule. LeBrae has had a lot of blowouts though. Both had close wins over South Range. Should be a good one.
Old 03-12-18, 07:29 AM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Here are the articles from each teams' tournament games:

Central Catholic's district final win:
http://www.indeonline.com/sports/201...district-title

Central Catholic's defeat of #1 seed South Range:
http://www.indeonline.com/sports/201...no-1-seed-home

LaBrae's district semifinal win:
http://www.vindy.com/news/2018/mar/06/high-school/

http://www.tribtoday.com/sports/high...rout-of-g-men/

LaBrae's district final win over Champion:
http://www.vindy.com/news/2018/mar/1...flashes/?print

And here is an article about LaBrae's win over then-undefeated South Range in January:
http://www.vindy.com/news/2018/jan/2...-labrae-has-s/

Finally an article regarding Poland handing LaBrae its only loss of the season:
http://www.vindy.com/news/2018/feb/2...treak-snapped/
Old 03-12-18, 08:03 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd31 miami 30 View Post
Central has played a much, much tougher schedule. LeBrae has had a lot of blowouts though. Both had close wins over South Range. Should be a good one.
The Central schedule was not a meat grinder game-after-game for three months but it did have some very difficult games within it. Unfortunately, it could be argued , Central did not win any of those games against the elite portion of the schedule in which I would include the games against Mansfield St. Peter, Ready, Lake and Hoban. They did compete well in those games (with the exception of Lake during which they unable to get any penetration at all and shot the ball as if they had never seen a 10 foot basket before) and took Ready to the last shot.

They also had some games against some very good but not cream-of-the-crop level teams in Northwest, Zanesville and Wooster. I would also include South Range and Mogadore at this level. The bad news is that they 3-6 in those games. The good news is that, in my opinion, their best three wins have been in their last 4 games -- Northwest, South Range and Mogadore.

Unfortunately for Central, many of the teams that are usually very good were not this year. This group would include Ursuline (they played them twice), Aquinas, Mooney. You also have Perry, Hoover and Orrville (played twice) which were below average this season but certainly, history tells us, are good games on the schedule more often than not.

Central did not play a lot of extremely weak teams (I can think of one or two) but that could have just been by appearance because Central lacked the scoring ability to really put any team away, regardless of their talent level.

At the end of the day, looking at LaBrae's schedule and comparing it to Central's I think Central played about 3-4 more high quality opponents. I think they played less really weak teams and the middle of the schedule is pretty comparable.
Old 03-13-18, 08:00 AM
All American

The Repository's preview:
http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/2018...ifinal-preview

Game article from The Repository talking about Central 3 district championships in 5 years but its failure to advance past the regional semifinal (they lost to Carlton Bragg-led VASJ in its first trip and Ursuline in its second trip):
http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/2018...s-on-new-prize
http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/2018...s-on-new-prize
Old 03-13-18, 09:13 AM
Varsity

Norton21 is on a distinguished road
A little misinformation on Labrae in the preview article. Since Labrae has appeared in multiple district finals since 2003. Making regionals 4 times in that time. And also a final four appearance 5 years ago.
Old 03-13-18, 09:51 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton21 View Post
A little misinformation on Labrae in the preview article. Since Labrae has appeared in multiple district finals since 2003. Making regionals 4 times in that time. And also a final four appearance 5 years ago.
Accuracy in local sports articles is almost like the dodo bird - extinct.
Old 03-13-18, 11:47 AM
Varsity

That is very true
Old 03-14-18, 10:38 AM
All American

Vindicator article about LaBrae's first trip to regionals in five years:
http://www.vindy.com/news/2018/mar/14/on-to-canton/

From a LaBrae player in the article: "“It actually means a lot to me to make a name for a small little town. Some kids grow up playing on the street with friends. We’re not kids growing up all over the place, getting recruited or anything. It’s kids who grew up playing together. We all came in, we came together and we get to do something special with it.”

If Central's team was recruited, they ought to fire the recruiting coordinator and the head coach right away. I would hope we could find a lot better players than the 5 we put on the floor.

From the Tribune-Chronicle:
http://www.tribtoday.com/sports/high...st-for-labrae/

From the article: "Look for contrasting tempos as LaBrae would like a game in the 70s, while CCC prefers to keep it in the 50s."

Central, I assume, would treat the kids to pizza if they could score 50 points against a quality team. The lack of scoring is not necessarily the result of a slow down in play or lack of a desire to score. In the games I have watched, they look very much like a team that wants to score but, unfortunately, they also look like a team that struggles to score. If they shoot well like they did against South Range (early in the game) or against Mogadore, they could give themselves a chance. If the team that squeaked one out against Rootstown, lost to Lake, etc. shows up - long night for the Crusaders.
Old 03-14-18, 10:52 AM
Varsity

I expect a close hard fought game. I'm hoping Labrae can pull away at the end. I think when the player from Labrae said that he meant getting recruited for college. Which none of them really is
Old 03-14-18, 11:50 AM
All Region

James x2 is on a distinguished road
I think I caught Canton Central Catholic interview

On the radio yesterday between the head coach and Kenny Roda on WHBC? He was talking about the lack of respect his team got in the seeding process,and mentioned the" small college team they lost to in 2014....VASJ" and how they only lost by 8 but they play hard...yada,yada,yada.He was previewing the game with LaBrae and seemed like an ok guy but I sensed he was whining a bit about the 2014 team and how they play with what they have.Thats fine I guess.Anyone know if this coach usually complains and makes excuses like this ?
Old 03-14-18, 12:08 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
On the radio yesterday between the head coach and Kenny Roda on WHBC? He was talking about the lack of respect his team got in the seeding process,and mentioned the" small college team they lost to in 2014....VASJ" and how they only lost by 8 but they play hard...yada,yada,yada.He was previewing the game with LaBrae and seemed like an ok guy but I sensed he was whining a bit about the 2014 team and how they play with what they have.Thats fine I guess.Anyone know if this coach usually complains and makes excuses like this ?
I also heard that interview and interpreted it as "WOW was VASJ talented in 2014!!" when he called it a small college team. I don't think he was making any insinuations about how that team came to be. I can understand the conclusion you came to but I do not think it is accurate. I will say this, I think that game -- the loss to VASJ -- was one of his finest coaching jobs since he arrived at Central but it was aided by one kid having the best night of his career.

That issue aside, I don't find him to be all that whiny. For some reason, he does seem to get caught up with the seeding drama and, after three decades of coaching, I do not understand that. I guess he was miffed that some schools voted for Central fifth or sixth (I am not sure) and he thought that going over there (with similar records) to Salem and making the district final three of the last four (and now four of the last five) years would result in better seeding. That isn't happening . . . when you are a geographic outlier, private school and independent, you had better have an otherworldly record to expect a top seed at any district.
Old 03-14-18, 12:09 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton21 View Post
I expect a close hard fought game. I'm hoping Labrae can pull away at the end. I think when the player from Labrae said that he meant getting recruited for college. Which none of them really is
If that is what he meant, he has a poor opinion of college basketball. I don't think there is a Crusader who could play at Kent State-Tusc on this team.
Old 03-14-18, 12:10 PM
All American

Quote:
Here is the interview:
https://soundcloud.com/user-19256965...amer-central-1
Old 03-14-18, 12:15 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
Vindicator article about LaBrae's first trip to regionals in five years:
http://www.vindy.com/news/2018/mar/14/on-to-canton/

From a LaBrae player in the article: "It actually means a lot to me to make a name for a small little town. Some kids grow up playing on the street with friends. Were not kids growing up all over the place, getting recruited or anything. Its kids who grew up playing together. We all came in, we came together and we get to do something special with it.
The thing you never know when you read the newspaper quotes is what question was asked, so it's very easy to take any player or coach's quote out of context.

Play on.
Old 03-14-18, 12:18 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
The thing you never know when you read the newspaper quotes is what question was asked, so it's very easy to take any player or coach's quote out of context.

Play on.
Ain't that the truth.
Old 03-14-18, 12:27 PM
All American

Quote:
Also, for the record, I think the VASJ team would have finished in the top half of the OAC and NCAC that year. Middle of the road in the GLIAC.
Old 03-14-18, 02:22 PM
Varsity

It's about time to head towards canton. Love watching games at the fieldhouse. Hoping for a well played, competitive, injury free game. Safe travels tonight.
Old 03-14-18, 02:56 PM
All Region

James x2 is on a distinguished road
As a former VASJ Viking and supporter of the basketball program I was at that game and I thought CCC played above their true talent that night.You are going to get EVERYONES best when you have the ultra successful private school bullseye on your back.Being that Central is also private along with Ursuline who we beat in the regional final,we never played the farm schools who complain about recruiting that year.Just thought it a little odd another private would mention us in that way.It's all good.Is this game on WHBC tonight?
Old 03-14-18, 03:09 PM
All American

Quote:
As a former VASJ Viking and supporter of the basketball program I was at that game and I thought CCC played above their true talent that night.You are going to get EVERYONES best when you have the ultra successful private school bullseye on your back.Being that Central is also private along with Ursuline who we beat in the regional final,we never played the farm schools who complain about recruiting that year.Just thought it a little odd another private would mention us in that way.It's all good.Is this game on WHBC tonight?
If it is on the radio, I am not aware of who has it. I think WHBC will be broadcasting the Jackson game as will 92.5. Not sure if 990 or anyone else will have it.
Old 03-14-18, 03:50 PM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
If it is on the radio, I am not aware of who has it. I think WHBC will be broadcasting the Jackson game as will 92.5. Not sure if 990 or anyone else will have it.
Both games are at 6:15. WHBC is carrying the Central/LaBrae game on radio and streaming the Jackson/Copley game.

Both will be available at www.whbcsports.com
Old 03-14-18, 06:03 PM
All District

andre is on a distinguished road
27-21 Central
Old 03-14-18, 06:08 PM
All District

LaBrae on 6-0 run, it's not tied 27-27 with 1:39 left in the 3rd
Old 03-14-18, 06:11 PM
All District

27-27 end of the 3rd
Old 03-14-18, 06:17 PM
All District

32-32 about 4:40 to go
Old 03-14-18, 06:21 PM
All District

34-32 central with 1:49 to go in the game
Old 03-14-18, 06:34 PM
All District

game over Central wins 39-36
Old 03-14-18, 07:52 PM
All Region

TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
My initial thoughts after I got home:

1. Big key was staying out of foul trouble in the second half, keeping Labrae off the line. This also allowed CC to get into the final twenty seconds up three points with three fouls to give. Took them forever, though, to commit the fouls.

2. Limited the dumb turnovers. CC can be counted on to offer up some weak passes against pressure; not tonight.

3. CC put up some shots too early in the possession in the 2nd half. This did not cost them much, though, as Labrae struggled to make shots. CC eventually got back to working thru their possessions.

4. I think Coach Creamer coached an excellent game, had a great plan, and the team executed superbly. Yes, shots didn't fall like I had hoped, but the defense was stout enough.

5. CC needs to get better quickly with their shots within five feet; they will need higher offensive efficiency on Saturday, regardless of opponent. Too many misses on not-really-contested-and-not-that-hard layups. Need to use the glass more within the paint.

6. Really thought #3 (BB) was the key. His ball handling and FT shooting are excellent. Wish he would take more outside shots when open.