Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-11-18, 09:40 PM
All Region

Smalls is on a distinguished road
St Francis State championship 84 maybe.

Todd Mitchell Purdue
Calvin Banks USC
Colin Parker Xavier

Lots off others in that same 5-10 year era.

I'm done now.
Old 03-11-18, 10:01 PM
Junior Varsity

D1nwobb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post

Todd Mitchell Purdue
Calvin Banks USC
Colin Parker Xavier

I'm done now.
St. Francis won their state championship in '83 with Todd Mitchell, Shawn Reid (Furman), and Roy Ware (I believe he played at Kent for a short time). Knights beat Bowsher with Dennis Hopson in the district final. In '84, St. Francis lost in the district final to Scott. Parker & Banks graduated in '87 with Banks playing his first couple of years at Maumee Valley.
Old 03-12-18, 08:00 AM
All Region

boater is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Todd Mitchell Purdue
Calvin Banks USC
Colin Parker Xavier

I'm done now.
That was a great run for Toledo area Ball - from the mid 70's till the early 90's - not just one dominate team either - there was talented guys playing on most of the teams during that time. Scott ( dominated the 70's) , Macomber, Libby, SFS, Bowsher,Start, and yes SJJ - but they seemed to take over in the 90's.
Old 03-12-18, 08:15 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Libbey-Scott: nothing exists like that even close either on the court or in the stands. A Vincent Williams would have found his place but he'd be about where he was recruited. I mean, we have Mr. Basketballs we don't talk about being all-time greats. Buford is top five scoring at OSU, barely gets a mention. Loving was a one side of the court player, barely gets a mention. Williams hasn't been either of those I don't think. His future is ahead of him. If they get that team to the semi's, maybe. Finals, more assuredly. Get Ed that long awaited trophy, then the cement will set.
Old 03-12-18, 08:35 AM
All Region

boater is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Libbey-Scott: nothing exists like that even close either on the court or in the stands. A Vincent Williams would have found his place but he'd be about where he was recruited. I mean, we have Mr. Basketballs we don't talk about being all-time greats. Buford is top five scoring at OSU, barely gets a mention. Loving was a one side of the court player, barely gets a mention. Williams hasn't been either of those I don't think. His future is ahead of him. If they get that team to the semi's, maybe. Finals, more assuredly. Get Ed that long awaited trophy, then the cement will set.
The overall competition in the TCL was different then and played at a much higher level IMO- and I agree on your comments on Buford & Loving ( nice player -Loving - but ?). Loved going to watch the "AAA" now D1 districts back then - every game was a war - you could feel the intensity in the stands.Yes that is the only thing missing for Heintschel - a trophy. He is in the top 10 all time in wins on Ohio.
Old 03-12-18, 07:19 PM
All Region

Smalls is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
That was a great run for Toledo area Ball - from the mid 70's till the early 90's - not just one dominate team either - there was talented guys playing on most of the teams during that time. Scott ( dominated the 70's) , Macomber, Libby, SFS, Bowsher,Start, and yes SJJ - but they seemed to take over in the 90's.
Whitmer made it to the final 4 in 87 with Rightnowar RIP University of Toledo, Michaels Miami of Ohio and Slaycheck (sp) one of BGSU's all time best wide receivers. Even with those guys their best player was their guard Dyzkowski.
Old 03-12-18, 08:37 PM
All Yappi

Michaelis

Eberflus was another football player on that team. Big time coach at Missouri now.
Old 03-13-18, 09:30 AM
All District

FullbackTrap is on a distinguished road
Matt Eberflus is currently the Def. Coordinator for the Indianapolis Colts. He spent the last 10 years working for the Dallas Cowboys. He was an absolute hammer on the gridiron and the court at Whitmer.
Coach Kaifasz always seemed to get a good mix of football players that played a roll for him.
Old 03-13-18, 10:15 AM
All Yappi

I'm a step behind. Dimter has produced some really good football leadership talent over the years.
Old 03-13-18, 10:15 AM
All Yappi

Oops. typo. Whitmer.
Old 03-15-18, 08:11 PM
Varsity

NWObballfan is on a distinguished road
“People can think what they want, but I’m telling you [Williams] is the most complete basketball [from Toledo] since Jim Jackson. He makes his teammates better, he’s unselfish, and he makes one good play after another”.

-Ed Heinschel
Old 03-15-18, 09:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWObballfan View Post

-Ed Heinschel
Isn't there a "t" missing there? Kind of like most games when they have their personal officiating crew.

I see Airport High has assigned someone from their marketing department to peruse the boards. Welcome! You're missed during football season.
Old 03-17-18, 02:39 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Lorain just beat SJ. Lorain lost 5 starters from a year ago and had 5 other players quit this season. Vince Williams is a very solid HS player but today showed exactly why he is not even close to being Toledo's best since Jimmy Jackson. A senile statement regurgitated by the local media hack who jumps from Dempsey's lap in the fall to Ed's in the winter. Usual marching orders from above. At least Gugger and Woolford had class and knew what they were talking about.

As a Whitmer fan I can tell you that this year's team played well for what they had talent wise but there is not starter from this years team that would have started for the Panthers 2008-2013. The Panthers had JV teams in that time-frame, as did the rest of the league, that would have given most TRAC teams a run for their money this year. And this is no slap in the face of this years kids but to paint the picture that Vince and SJ dominated what was the weakest big league (TCL/TRAC) in the history of both leagues.
Old 03-17-18, 03:14 PM
Varsity

NWObballfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Lorain just beat SJ. Lorain lost 5 starters from a year ago and had 5 other players quit this season. Vince Williams is a very solid HS player but today showed exactly why he is not even close to being Toledo's best since Jimmy Jackson. A senile statement regurgitated by the local media hack who jumps from Dempsey's lap in the fall to Ed's in the winter. Usual marching orders from above. At least Gugger and Woolford had class and knew what they were talking about.

As a Whitmer fan I can tell you that this year's team played well for what they had talent wise but there is not starter from this years team that would have started for the Panthers 2008-2013. The Panthers had JV teams in that time-frame, as did the rest of the league, that would have given most TRAC teams a run for their money this year. And this is no slap in the face of this years kids but to paint the picture that Vince and SJ dominated what was the weakest big league (TCL/TRAC) in the history of both leagues.

Grant was ridiculous today and Ed didn't make the needed adjustment. How SJJ didn't go to zone or how he didn't call a timeout with the ball out of bounds with 55 seconds to go will haunt the SJJ program for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-18, 04:09 PM
All Ohio

smurfyeah19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post

Easy there. IMO the problem was everybody else did nothing but defer to King and Williams. Wide open threes they just completely passed up making the two stars do everything. They lost in the elite 8, give them credit for a deep run, just didn't play as well as a team
Old 03-17-18, 04:20 PM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Great win for Lorain. Good luck to them next week
Old 03-17-18, 05:01 PM
All District

BacktoBack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWObballfan View Post
Grant was ridiculous today and Ed didn't make the needed adjustment. How SJJ didn't go to zone ...
When one guy is beating you, make sure if you are going to get beat it is NOT BY HIM! Same thing could have been said in the Virginia game last night...

This one was St John's to win...hats off to Lorain, they played their hearts out. Unfortunately, I think they will be lucky to be within 20 of Big Mo at halftime...
Old 03-17-18, 05:24 PM
All Ohio

E-Town is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBack View Post
When one guy is beating you, make sure if you are going to get beat it is NOT BY HIM! Same thing could have been said in the Virginia game last night...

This one was St John's to win...hats off to Lorain, they played their hearts out. Unfortunately, I think they will be lucky to be within 20 of Big Mo at halftime...
That's what St. Ed's and SJJ said about Lorain. A very dangerous team, playing with house money and playing better in every tourney game so far. Good luck to the Titans.
Old 03-17-18, 07:32 PM
All Yappi

Lorain will definitely be the dark horse as they have been for their last two wins. Good luck to them.
Old 03-17-18, 07:45 PM
All District

BacktoBack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Whitmer made it to the final 4 in 87 with Rightnowar RIP University of Toledo, Michaels Miami of Ohio and Slaycheck (sp) one of BGSU's all time best wide receivers. Even with those guys their best player was their guard Dyzkowski.
I had no idea Ricky died until I read this post. I hadn't been in town long when I met him so many years ago. Never saw him play, but what a delightful guy. Had a million basketball stories every time I got to chat with him.

Man, life comes at you fast. RIP Ricky Rightnowar. Gone too soon.
Old 03-17-18, 07:54 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
I had no idea until smalls said something and I looked up his obit. Just passed a week ago. Life is way to short.
Old 03-17-18, 08:17 PM
All Yappi

Why do I recall, he had some disease? Can't think of where I would have heard that or come across him.
Old 03-17-18, 10:47 PM
All Ohio

domi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Why do I recall, he had some disease? Can't think of where I would have heard that or come across him.
It might have been from The Blade way back in the day:

http://www.toledoblade.com/College/2...xperience.html

I had no idea he had passed away until seeing it here. RIP Rick Rightnowar. He was always one of the all-time local greats and willing to talk local basketball whenever he had a chance.
Old 03-18-18, 02:08 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Wow!! Incredible win for Lorain. The Titans are on an amazing roll. I hope it lasts one game longer and they take out Moeller. A Solon-Lorain state championship game sounds good to me.
Old 03-18-18, 03:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
Wow!! Incredible win for Lorain. The Titans are on an amazing roll. I hope it lasts one game longer and they take out Moeller. A Solon-Lorain state championship game sounds good to me.
Sounds insufferable. But I guess insufferable ordained. Either have to listen to the NEsters, the Moeller's or Pick Central having won girl's, boy's and football.
Old 03-19-18, 12:42 PM
All Yappi

EagleSE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
I'll second that..