Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who will win each district in the DIV Bowling Green?
[Elida] Antwerp (Antwerp) 1 5.56%
[Elida] Ayersville (Defiance) 0 0%
[Elida] Continental (Continental) 0 0%
[Elida] Crestview (Convoy) 13 72.22%
[Elida] Fort Jennings (Fort Jennings) 0 0%
[Elida] Hicksville (Hicksville) 0 0%
[Elida] Lincolnview (Van Wert) 0 0%
[Elida] Ottoville (Ottoville) 0 0%
[Elida] Parkway (Rockford) 0 0%
[Elida] St John's (Delphos) 0 0%
[Elida] Wayne Trace (Haviland) 2 11.11%
[Findlay] Arcadia (Arcadia) 0 0%
[Findlay] Columbus Grove (Columbus Grove) 1 5.56%
[Findlay] Cory-Rawson (Rawson) 0 0%
[Findlay] Holgate (Holgate) 1 5.56%
[Findlay] Kalida (Kalida) 2 11.11%
[Findlay] Leipsic (Leipsic) 0 0%
[Findlay] Mc Comb (Mc Comb) 0 0%
[Findlay] Miller City (Miller City) 0 0%
[Findlay] North Baltimore (North Baltimore) 0 0%
[Findlay] Pandora-Gilboa (Pandora) 9 50.00%
[Findlay] Patrick Henry (Hamler) 0 0%
[Fostoria] Arlington (Arlington) 6 33.33%
[Fostoria] Calvert (Tiffin) 1 5.56%
[Fostoria] Hardin Northern (Dola) 0 0%
[Fostoria] Hopewell-Loudon (Bascom) 1 5.56%
[Fostoria] Mohawk (Sycamore) 0 0%
[Fostoria] New Riegel (New Riegel) 0 0%
[Fostoria] Old Fort (Tiffin) 1 5.56%
[Fostoria] Riverdale (Mt. Blanchard) 0 0%
[Fostoria] Seneca East (Attica) 0 0%
[Fostoria] St Joseph Central Catholic (Fremont) 3 16.67%
[Fostoria] Vanlue (Vanlue) 0 0%
[Napolean] Edgerton (Edgerton) 0 0%
[Napolean] Edon (Edon) 0 0%
[Napolean] Emmanuel Christian School (Toledo) 0 0%
[Napolean] Fayette (Fayette) 0 0%
[Napolean] Hilltop (West Unity) 1 5.56%
[Napolean] Maumee Valley Country Day (Toledo) 2 11.11%
[Napolean] Montpelier (Montpelier) 0 0%
[Napolean] North Central (Pioneer) 0 0%
[Napolean] Ottawa Hills (Toledo) 0 0%
[Napolean] Pettisville (Pettisville) 6 33.33%
[Napolean] Stryker (Stryker) 1 5.56%
[Napolean] Toledo Christian (Toledo) 3 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-18, 11:53 AM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereckoning View Post
Not my "own" per say, but I have connections to a few NWC schools.

By the naked eye, I would put them #2 on the list.

97 Lincolnview
18 Knights
14 Knights
00 Fort Jennings
02 St Johns
04 Holgate

I would also include the 96 Lancers, the 03 Knights, and several years of Wayne Trace in there (including the 03 WT team that gave Lebron all he could handle).
Really ? The 18 Knights barely beat Parkway a team that didn't even win a MAC league game. Plus Crestview was very fortunate to get out of their district. Will see how they do from here on out.
Old 03-12-18, 12:41 PM
All District

thereckoning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Really ? The 18 Knights barely beat Parkway a team that didn't even win a MAC league game. Plus Crestview was very fortunate to get out of their district. Will see how they do from here on out.
Yes. Really. They also beat Parkway by 40 earlier in the season when Parkway had a full roster. Any given night, when you have a target on your back, you will get everyone's best. Now that its in regionals, everyone has a target.
Old 03-12-18, 12:45 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
WT played Lebron in '01.....OG played the Irish in '02 and '03 both at UT. Wayne Trace was D3 that year....all of the others on this list were D4. If you're going to include WT then you need to include OG too ...and this list becomes a whole lot different lol but that's a different topic. At this point, I think Crestvew needs to finish this season before you can put them above some of those state championship teams....especially after the tourney debacle agaiinst Parkway a couple weeks ago...that almost ended all this talk right then
Yes. WT had them on the ropes. And I would certainly include some of the OG teams. I was working with what I was given.

There was no debacle with Parkway. They have a couple of youngsters that will be studs and seemed to play better without Huff who is a great post, but blew out his knee. Crestview also beat Parkway by nearly 40 in the regular season. Its the tourney. Everyone is playing their hearts out.
Old 03-12-18, 01:43 PM
Junior Varsity

braygatron4 is on a distinguished road
I've said this before as well...Ottoville & Hicksville are two tougher games than MVCD & Pandora/Mohawk will be..don't be deceived by Crestview's close District games, because that Elida district is tougher than these two BG regional games. Am I saying Crestview is 100% going to state now? No. Because that Etzler-Jackson matchup is going to be awesome to watch tomorrow. But I do think it's safe to say the Knights are the favorites in the regional here.
Old 03-12-18, 02:16 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by braygatron4 View Post
I've said this before as well...Ottoville & Hicksville are two tougher games than MVCD & Pandora/Mohawk will be..don't be deceived by Crestview's close District games, because that Elida district is tougher than these two BG regional games. Am I saying Crestview is 100% going to state now? No. Because that Etzler-Jackson matchup is going to be awesome to watch tomorrow. But I do think it's safe to say the Knights are the favorites in the regional here.
You do realize that PG beat Ottoville this year right? Crestview folks were handing them the trophy a couple weeks ago...and Parkway almost bit them. You can't tell me that Parkway is better than either MVCD or PG. Crestview is playing up to the level of their competition right now. They are gong to have to up the intensity a little bit or they won't get to see the Schott...much less owrry about wiinning state
Old 03-12-18, 02:28 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
You do realize that PG beat Ottoville this year right? Crestview folks were handing them the trophy a couple weeks ago...and Parkway almost bit them. You can't tell me that Parkway is better than either MVCD or PG. Crestview is playing up to the level of their competition right now. They are gong to have to up the intensity a little bit or they won't get to see the Schott...much less owrry about wiinning state
I didn't say Parkway was better than MVCD or PG.......
Old 03-12-18, 03:41 PM
All District

Quote:
It's all about matchups. Crestview played in the best Super Sectional in the state. And from the looks of it......I haven't seen one crestview person on this forum. But no one was handing out trophies. You sound like an OG person that doesn't like Crestview. If you look at the original voting on this forum and on any forum about this matchup, folks are picking Crestview. That is because despite your hate for them, they are good!
Old 03-12-18, 03:47 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's all about matchups. Crestview played in the best Super Sectional in the state. And from the looks of it......I haven't seen one crestview person on this forum. But no one was handing out trophies. You sound like an OG person that doesn't like Crestview. If you look at the original voting on this forum and on any forum about this matchup, folks are picking Crestview. That is because despite your hate for them, they are good!
Uh, I was responding to the comment that the Ottoville and Hicksville District games would be tougher for Crestview than either PG or MVCD. PG beat Ottoville 3 weeks ago....so just questioning that reasoning lol No hate for the Knights....I'd love to see either them or PG get to Cbus over MVCD....Crestview and PG have local kids....they don't get players from all over Toledo like MVCD does
Old 03-12-18, 03:59 PM
All District

Quote:
Uh, I was responding to the comment that the Ottoville and Hicksville District games would be tougher for Crestview than either PG or MVCD. PG beat Ottoville 3 weeks ago....so just questioning that reasoning lol No hate for the Knights....I'd love to see either them or PG get to Cbus over MVCD....Crestview and PG have local kids....they don't get players from all over Toledo like MVCD does
Fair enough. I too root for local teams and will be pulling for the OG girls continue winning as well as OG boys.

I think PG has two really superb athletes and across the board played many common opponents that Crestview had the same. I have always been suspect of teams like MVCD. I understand they have D1 talent. I'm just not sure they want to get in a shootout with Crestview. This is a Crestview team that averaged 65 points a game in regular season. they just happened to run into some really sound ball clubs at the district level. Many said before this even started, the district winner that came out of the super sectional would be in state. I think it goes without saying that there is a legit shot.

Regardless, I'm sure BG will be the place to be tomorrow night in NWO!
Old 03-13-18, 06:47 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Yes, PG beat Ottoville at PG by 8.. If these squads play 10 times on a neutral floor, they split 5-5. Both are really, really good.
Old 03-14-18, 08:11 AM
All District

It goes without saying that PG and Crestview put on good shows last night. PG again showed out on the defensive end of the floor. And Crestview found a different leading scorer for the third time in four games in the tournament. It should be a battle come Friday night, but with the depth and wealth of talent Crestview has, this one is likely coming to a Crestview state playoff birth.
Old 03-15-18, 10:40 PM
Junior Varsity

Porsche is on a distinguished road
I'm from Marion Local ....and I want no part of this Crestview team.

We have a tough match up with Fort Loramie and i think Crestview is better than Marion and FL.
The size of Crestview and the athleticism they have is astounding. We had a rough time with them in 2003 as that was a close game up til like 4 min to go in the state championship.

The 2014 Crestview team would wipe the floor with any of the remaining teams in D4 IMO.
Old 03-16-18, 10:10 AM
Junior Varsity

UKnowIt is on a distinguished road
Porsche, from what i heard you guys are the favorites tonight over FL. I have seen crestview play, i think you guys match up well with them. Your size would cause them some issues.
Old 03-16-18, 09:29 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Three TAAC teams still alive in the Napoleon District.

Toledo Christian vs Edgerton

Maumee Valley vs Ottawa Hills

I like Toledo Christian over Edgerton. Might as well flip a coin between Maumee Valley and Ottawa Hills.
Quote:
Not my "own" per say, but I have connections to a few NWC schools.

By the naked eye, I would put them #2 on the list.

97 Lincolnview
18 Knights
14 Knights
00 Fort Jennings
02 St Johns
04 Holgate

I would also include the 96 Lancers, the 03 Knights, and several years of Wayne Trace in there (including the 03 WT team that gave Lebron all he could handle).
If the 18 Knights are no.2 on that list, I guess the 18 PG Rockets are no.1.
Old 03-16-18, 10:48 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
I'm from Marion Local ....and I want no part of this Crestview team.

We have a tough match up with Fort Loramie and i think Crestview is better than Marion and FL.
The size of Crestview and the athleticism they have is astounding. We had a rough time with them in 2003 as that was a close game up til like 4 min to go in the state championship.

The 2014 Crestview team would wipe the floor with any of the remaining teams in D4 IMO.
I am also from ML and if Crestview is better than ML, Flyers have little chance against Pandora Gilboa who appears to have handled the Knights fairly easily.
Old 03-16-18, 11:13 PM
All District

Quote:
If the 18 Knights are no.2 on that list, I guess the 18 PG Rockets are no.1.
Yeah. I took in the game. When etzler went down for a quarter then Kline went down with an ankle and sheets was knocked out of the game with his broken hand, the knights were a shell of themselves. Take nothing away from PG, they have a solid team. If the refs in Columbus allow physicality, the flyers are in trouble. If not, PG will get beat. Honest analysis.
Old 03-17-18, 02:32 AM
Junior Varsity

allohiotraveler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah. I took in the game. When etzler went down for a quarter then Kline went down with an ankle and sheets was knocked out of the game with his broken hand, the knights were a shell of themselves. Take nothing away from PG, they have a solid team. If the refs in Columbus allow physicality, the flyers are in trouble. If not, PG will get beat. Honest analysis.
This team has been playing with fire all tournament and it finally burned them... Injuries may have played a part but the real hitch in this team is its defense. Crestview's defense has always been a great mark for them. However, they were totally destroyed all night because their defense was bad. PG shot many layups out of the 1-3-1 and could beat anyone off the dribble in man. It was not a typical Knights team, and let me echo myself again, CERTAINLY not better than the 2014 team. That team prided itself on defense as well as its ability to score.

And for the physical remark, PG was no more physical than the kid that bodied Drew Johnson all over the backcourt and rode him like a pony.

Napkin Note: Javin Etzler has a beautiful shot.. That thing just drops in the basket like it came from the sky (Ask Hicksville, I'm sure they known it well) But he truly takes alot of contested threes for someone so big. I saw him try to go inside early in the game and it didn't look like he felt comfortable (not scoring either). Alot of things to work on for the knights this summer. I hope it all comes together because they have POTENTIAL and alot of it. But its a shame if they just leave it as potential.

(Also, the Stout kid played phenomenal. Truly a pleasure watching him play his last game)
Old 03-17-18, 04:53 AM
All World

Quote:
Might be wrong but I think the Flyers will be more than pleased if the zebras do not call many fouls. Unfortunate for Crestview with the injuries.
Old 03-17-18, 08:28 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by allohiotraveler View Post
This team has been playing with fire all tournament and it finally burned them... Injuries may have played a part but the real hitch in this team is its defense. Crestview's defense has always been a great mark for them. However, they were totally destroyed all night because their defense was bad. PG shot many layups out of the 1-3-1 and could beat anyone off the dribble in man. It was not a typical Knights team, and let me echo myself again, CERTAINLY not better than the 2014 team. That team prided itself on defense as well as its ability to score.

And for the physical remark, PG was no more physical than the kid that bodied Drew Johnson all over the backcourt and rode him like a pony.

Napkin Note: Javin Etzler has a beautiful shot.. That thing just drops in the basket like it came from the sky (Ask Hicksville, I'm sure they known it well) But he truly takes alot of contested threes for someone so big. I saw him try to go inside early in the game and it didn't look like he felt comfortable (not scoring either). Alot of things to work on for the knights this summer. I hope it all comes together because they have POTENTIAL and alot of it. But its a shame if they just leave it as potential.

(Also, the Stout kid played phenomenal. Truly a pleasure watching him play his last game)
Fully agreed on your assessments. And the POTENTIAL comment is well noted. While the 2014 team didn’t play anyone “really really good” besides LCC all year, I believe the potential to be great was/is there. The stout kid was a great post. He’s a senior I believe. Will be hard to replace. The depth will be questionable next year for them. No team in the tourney had the luxury of bringing in the other etzler kid or the vining kid, but they weren’t ready for the big show when Kline/sheets went down.

The older etzler has the ability to be great but you are dead on with his game. Nothing inside. He also got eaten alive by Johnson. And the defense Crestview played was horrendous. However, give them a healthy sheets/Kline combo and etzler not going down for the second quarter and the outcome could have been different.

Hats off to PG. they were the hardest playing team I’ve seen all year. And their physicality pushed the knights around. Can’t take anything away from that ball club in this discussion either. Johnson was a great player.
Old 03-17-18, 08:43 AM
All District

Quote:
Might be wrong but I think the Flyers will be more than pleased if the zebras do not call many fouls. Unfortunate for Crestview with the injuries.
I’ve seen ML play. And SH. And Versailles. I haven’t seen any MAC team play with the physicality that PG plays with. I don’t believe I’ve really ever seen a regional final game that physical either. Columbus will be a different story. However, that PG crowd was amazingly large and loud as well. Bowling Green was packed. I would expect to see them bring 3000 fans to Columbus for a fight. Should be interesting for your flyers. I would put PG as the favorite to go to the finals by the eye test. However, I will take nothing away from bruns and mescher and their ability to win ballgames.
Old 03-17-18, 09:36 AM
All Ohio

bdill100 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by allohiotraveler View Post

AllOhio: Nice assessment of the game last night. I went down there too, and I think you are spot-on with your comments. First time I had seen either team this year. You can see the potential in Crestview, and the Stout kid played a whale of a game. But their defense is/was a liability for them. I also saw the 2014 team at regionals and at State, and would say that this year's Crestview team, while good, wasn't on par with that 2014 team. But again, this was my first and only time seeing Crestview this year. In regards to Reckoning's comments about the injuries, I would just add that Etzler did not miss the 2nd quarter. He probably only missed about the last 2 minutes, and when he went out, P-G was already up about 8-10 points. Injuries probably played a small part in the game last night, but it didn't seem to me that Crestview was a shell of what their team could be or that the injuries noticeably changed the outcome of the game.

Bottom line is that P-G was the better TEAM last night. They have very good chemistry, and everyone seems to know their roles and carry them out very well. Don't know if Johnson's game last night is typical for him or not, but at 6'6", he can be a difficult matchup, as he can go inside or out. Phillips plays tremendous defense and does all of the blue-collar work that often gets overlooked, and the other 3 starters just do their job. I anticipate that their game with ML next Thursday should be a real good one. Great communities with great support, and pretty evenly matched. Can't wait for it to get here.
Old 03-17-18, 10:38 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdill100 View Post
AllOhio: Nice assessment of the game last night. I went down there too, and I think you are spot-on with your comments. First time I had seen either team this year. You can see the potential in Crestview, and the Stout kid played a whale of a game. But their defense is/was a liability for them. I also saw the 2014 team at regionals and at State, and would say that this year's Crestview team, while good, wasn't on par with that 2014 team. But again, this was my first and only time seeing Crestview this year. In regards to Reckoning's comments about the injuries, I would just add that Etzler did not miss the 2nd quarter. He probably only missed about the last 2 minutes, and when he went out, P-G was already up about 8-10 points. Injuries probably played a small part in the game last night, but it didn't seem to me that Crestview was a shell of what their team could be or that the injuries noticeably changed the outcome of the game.

Bottom line is that P-G was the better TEAM last night. They have very good chemistry, and everyone seems to know their roles and carry them out very well. Don't know if Johnson's game last night is typical for him or not, but at 6'6", he can be a difficult matchup, as he can go inside or out. Phillips plays tremendous defense and does all of the blue-collar work that often gets overlooked, and the other 3 starters just do their job. I anticipate that their game with ML next Thursday should be a real good one. Great communities with great support, and pretty evenly matched. Can't wait for it to get here.
You are correct. Etzler was down half the 2nd quarter. Was not available to hedge the run PG made. Sheets was out. 7-0 run to end the half and go up 11 without them on the floor. Kline/sheets who I think are the two best defenders being gone (sheets nearly the entire 2nd half and Kline most the third and in and out the fourth) were big losses. Definitely sparked that team all year as was evident with a Kline early steal and sheets with some gritty boards/putbacks in the early part of the game.

Johnson is a great player. Breese also a floor general. Role players who willed their team to win. Crestview in the end got outplayed. A shell of a team from what I’ve seen with a healthy lineup but PG is a senior heavy team that refuses to lose or be intimidated. I’ll be there Thursday. Looking forward to it. A lot of respect for both ML and PG. Hoping one will bring home a title.
Old 03-17-18, 11:05 AM
Varsity

D1nwobb is on a distinguished road
Etzler played 30 minutes on the night and Kline couldn't handle Breese before missing part of the 3rd quarter. Crestview had a hard time finding Johnson most of the night. Regardless of the excuses, P-G was just better last night.
Old 03-17-18, 01:02 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1nwobb View Post
Etzler played 30 minutes on the night and Kline couldn't handle Breese before missing part of the 3rd quarter. Crestview had a hard time finding Johnson most of the night. Regardless of the excuses, P-G was just better last night.
Kline didn’t guard Breese. The Dealey kid did. Until sheets and Kline went out in which case Dealey was the kid riding Johnson as eluded to earlier. A mistake by a fine Crestview coach if you ask me to not put Kline on Breese. Defensive scheme was thrown out of sorts. Etzler was out during the PG run which was a good 7-0 or 9-2 run at the end of the half. I would have to see a score sheet saying 30 minutes of play for etzler. He is one I watch closely. His brother played quite a bit. I do a lot of traveling in van wert, Mercer, and Putnam County. Without a doubt, I haven’t seen Crestview look that way. And yes. PG was the better team. I would call losing three of your starters for a combined 4 plus quarters of ball, not an excuse but part of the game. Also a sad part as you want to see both teams play their best players. Just my viewpoint. Good luck to both PG and ML.
Old 03-17-18, 03:03 PM
Junior Varsity

Porsche is on a distinguished road
I didn't make it to the game but sounds like PG played their best game of the season.
The box score looked impressive shooting.

Crestview i don't think has ever given up 70 points all season?????

Something was off for Crestview in combination that PG played extremely well to get that score.

frankly, I'm shocked still. Yes i thought Crestview looked better than Marion this season...but that's my opinion. Kind of thankful PG won! ha ha

Good Luck to PG! See you in columbus!
Old 03-17-18, 03:27 PM
Junior Varsity

allohiotraveler is on a distinguished road
I understand injuries were there. I saw that Sheets had a brace on his hand. I also saw Etlzer go down and Coach Best didn't even walk over to him, which made me think that this was a regular occurrence(?) and I saw Kline go down, but soon after come back in. However, Kline back in soon after, probably 2 minutes, Etlzer was in soon after he was hurt, and Sheets played but coach best would sub him on according to what he was thinking, which wasn't like he couldn't play because he would be out there. I thought that Stout was truly the only one working hard out there to make SMART plays to win. Etzler was out there to win, but he wasn't making the smartest plays to do that, but still growth is coming there. The younger Etzler is sooo long, but hasn't developed his shot as well but is expected. His growth is quite imperative for that team next year. I cannot emphasize how big that would be if he could be a competent sophomore on a senior laden team ( see Connor Lautzenheiser, 2014). This team has so much potential. I really hope I get to see them in the Schott next year, especially since Cornerstone Christian will finally allow someone the chance to win
Old 03-17-18, 03:58 PM
All District

tndog is on a distinguished road
Never know who Cornerstone will bring in - way too early to tell
Old 03-17-18, 04:35 PM
Freshman

Eagle22 is on a distinguished road
I don’t know much about Cornerstone, but if what I read was correct last time their 2 stud players both grew up there. The one kid is still there now and is probably a state player of the year candidate. I have no issues with kids staying at a small school, but I can easily see a legit player like that attracting a few more guys.
Old 03-17-18, 05:44 PM
All District

AllOhio: Agreed. And Lautzenheiser is having a beast of a year for St Francis. He is a great player. Etzler went down in regional semis. Undercut on a box out. Didn’t look to have a pep in his step. Could use some lifting to get stronger if you ask me. Looks skinny. Kline was out the majority of the 3rd. At least half of 4th. In and out. Limping around. He is maybe the best on ball defender you will find. Watched him single handedly bring the team back earlier this season. Heard he tweaked ankle from Crestview fans last game of season. Probably end up in record books for them in steals. Sheets was out part of 2nd quarter and most or all 2nd half. Crazy how those three have such an effect on a deep team. As porsche said, I don’t think they gave up 70 all season. Their defense was a shell of what it can be. In a game of spurts, PG created separation during these injuries. Not taking anything away from them. I think they played harder. However, both teams healthy and if I’m starting a team between the two, it’s Stout, Johnson, etzler, Kline, and a toss up between sheets/Breese. Which leads me to believe Crestview has superior talent. Best TEAM that day won for sure. Would love to see them go head up healthy. I expect to see Crestview make a run next year. Just not as deep of a team. This was a really really good team. I’m baffled but injury did take its toll. PG is an awesome team. Happy for their school. Never been to Columbus.
Old 03-17-18, 06:12 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
I don’t know much about Cornerstone, but if what I read was correct last time their 2 stud players both grew up there. The one kid is still there now and is probably a state player of the year candidate. I have no issues with kids staying at a small school, but I can easily see a legit player like that attracting a few more guys.
Personally rooting for our public schools in Ohio to win. Not a fan of “attracting” other players. Take Versailles girls (and boys) for instance. Fantastic home grown schools. Run into a private school that pulls from big areas and you get beat.