Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-10-18, 10:37 AM
C'Town216 C'Town216 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-11-14
Posts: 1,826
C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Division II Canton Region

Who punches their tickets to the sweet 16?

Ashtabula
Cleveland VASJ vs Mentor Lake Catholic 4pm tip
-Lakeside High School
Canton
Akron Buchtel vs Akron St.Vincent-St.Mary 4pm tip
-Canton Memorial Fieldhouse

Youngstown
Cortland Lakeview vs Struthers 4pm tip
-Boardman High School

Stow
Warrensville Hts. vs Revere 4pm tip

Sweet 16 Pairings 3/15

Ashtabula District Champ vs Youngstown District Champ 6:15pm -Canton Civic Center

Canton District Champ vs Stow District Champ 8pm -Canton Civic Center

Regional Final 3/17 12pm tip -Canton Civic Center



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 03-10-18, 10:39 AM
C'Town216 C'Town216 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-11-14
Posts: 1,826
C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
My picks: District Champs
Ashtabula: VASJ
Canton: St.V
YTown: Lakeview
Stow: Revere

Semi final picks: VASJ over Lakeview
St.V over Revere

Regional Final: St.V over VASJ in a close one


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-10-18, 10:40 AM
cvctrackfan cvctrackfan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-08-10
Posts: 2,031
cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
I,d say
VASJ
Revere
SVSM
Struthers ? I’m just guessing this one
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-10-18, 06:11 PM
C'Town216 C'Town216 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-11-14
Posts: 1,826
C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Its official:

6:15pm Semi 1: Lakeview vs VASJ
8:00pm Semi 2: Revere vs STVM
-Canton Civic Center


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-10-18, 06:30 PM
CleveHoopFan08 CleveHoopFan08 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-06-08
Posts: 228
CleveHoopFan08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
Its official:

6:15pm Semi 1: Lakeview vs VASJ
8:00pm Semi 2: Revere vs STVM
-Canton Civic Center


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once again an easy trip to Columbus for St V. Literally have to play just one tough game a year to get there.

The state's attempt to keep the privates from winning everything will more than likely fail as probably 3 privates win championships. More than likely only exception is at the division 1 level. Great job Ohio. How did that work out?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-10-18, 09:54 PM
Bucksfan1 Bucksfan1 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-02-18
Posts: 39
Bucksfan1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveHoopFan08 View Post
Once again an easy trip to Columbus for St V. Literally have to play just one tough game a year to get there.

The state's attempt to keep the privates from winning everything will more than likely fail as probably 3 privates win championships. More than likely only exception is at the division 1 level. Great job Ohio. How did that work out?
One tough game a year????? Check the regular season schedule.

P.S. You dropped a participation grape on the floor.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-10-18, 09:57 PM
Bball216 Bball216 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-08-13
Posts: 2,783
Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not sure SVSM has an easy trip and D1 might be won by a private. You public school people wanted competitive balance - you got the proposal you wanted.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-10-18, 10:31 PM
CleveHoopFan08 CleveHoopFan08 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-06-08
Posts: 228
CleveHoopFan08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksfan1 View Post
One tough game a year????? Check the regular season schedule.

P.S. You dropped a participation grape on the floor.
One tough TOURNAMENT game. They breeze through a rediculously easy district only to play a tough regional final matchup.

I didn't drop anything. Only stating the obvious and what everyone else knows. When the games count for real they play one tough game.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-10-18, 11:47 PM
SeeYaSometime SeeYaSometime is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-16-05
Posts: 3,900
SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Game article by Fred Cay.

https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/hi...district-crown
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-11-18, 12:02 AM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 1,456
CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
Not sure SVSM has an easy trip and D1 might be won by a private. You public school people wanted competitive balance - you got the proposal you wanted.
I sure hope no one truly believed that competitive balance was gonna do anything for basketball. The differences between the competition in different divisions is a lot smaller than virtually any other sport. VASJ was probably capable of beating Jackson last year. The differences between the bigger schools and the smaller schools just aren't that big of a factor. VASJ's move to d2 probably didn't move the needle very much in VASJ's state title chances. So I mean, I hope nobody is truly surprised that competitive balance will do nothing from the start.

At any rate, if school size really doesn't matter that much in Basketball, then that begs the question, why even bother with divisions in the first place? Either that, or is there a better way to do divisions in basketball than basing it on enrollment numbers? Idk.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-11-18, 12:10 AM
Bucksfan1 Bucksfan1 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-02-18
Posts: 39
Bucksfan1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveHoopFan08 View Post
One tough TOURNAMENT game. They breeze through a rediculously easy district only to play a tough regional final matchup.

I didn't drop anything. Only stating the obvious and what everyone else knows. When the games count for real they play one tough game.
Wauseon will be a tough game in the semi finals. The title game should be pretty tough as well.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-11-18, 06:25 AM
CleveHoopFan08 CleveHoopFan08 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-06-08
Posts: 228
CleveHoopFan08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksfan1 View Post
Wauseon will be a tough game in the semi finals. The title game should be pretty tough as well.
I believe my original post said something to the effect of having to play one tough game to reach Columbus. Not win a Championship.

Once there it's a coin toss. I get ASVSM wants to win titles but some schools would love to just make it but never get the chance because a team that should have moved up somehow continued to stay where they were at to continue to dominate a district and for the most part . . . a region.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-11-18, 10:14 AM
Irish60 Irish60 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-14
Posts: 1,958
Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveHoopFan08 View Post
I believe my original post said something to the effect of having to play one tough game to reach Columbus. Not win a Championship.

Once there it's a coin toss. I get ASVSM wants to win titles but some schools would love to just make it but never get the chance because a team that should have moved up somehow continued to stay where they were at to continue to dominate a district and for the most part . . . a region.
I don't disagree with a lot of this. I wouldn't oppose moving the Irish to D1. Looking at the Irish schedule, and this makes sense. But what metric would be used? IMO doing away with all divisions isn't the answer. But using a strength of schedule or success metric, along with enrollment, may get us there. In the interim, I would suggest moving a team from one district to another if they win it, say, 4 years in a row. That would give other teams in a district the opportunity to advance. Not much could be done about the region. I'm not sure if this would work geographically in all of Ohio. But in NEO it could be done by moving STVM from Canton to Stow without much difficulty.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-11-18, 07:32 PM
C'Town216 C'Town216 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-11-14
Posts: 1,826
C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Division II Canton Region

For frequent goers to the Civic Center, where do you recommend parking? At the Fieldhouse it was simple, now being in downtown Canton, not so much. Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-11-18, 09:36 PM
CleveHoopFan08 CleveHoopFan08 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-06-08
Posts: 228
CleveHoopFan08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
For frequent goers to the Civic Center, where do you recommend parking? At the Fieldhouse it was simple, now being in downtown Canton, not so much. Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just park in the deck attached to the civic center
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-11-18, 10:37 PM
1 time 1 time is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-20-18
Posts: 129
1 time is on a distinguished road
yes
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-11-18, 11:09 PM
C'Town216 C'Town216 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-11-14
Posts: 1,826
C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveHoopFan08 View Post
Just park in the deck attached to the civic center


Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-12-18, 05:29 PM
Bball216 Bball216 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-08-13
Posts: 2,783
Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't mean to sound like sour grapes because it's an honor to just reach regionals - but I'm going to miss the Canton Fieldhouse. That is my favorite place besides The Schott to watch a game. To me it's the Madison Square Garden of high school hoops. After 5 years at the Fieldhouse I guess it's time to give the Civic Center a try. I hope the Vikings have as much luck there as they did the last 5 years at the Fieldhouse.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-12-18, 05:54 PM
CleveHoopFan08 CleveHoopFan08 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-06-08
Posts: 228
CleveHoopFan08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
I don't mean to sound like sour grapes because it's an honor to just reach regionals - but I'm going to miss the Canton Fieldhouse. That is my favorite place besides The Schott to watch a game. To me it's the Madison Square Garden of high school hoops. After 5 years at the Fieldhouse I guess it's time to give the Civic Center a try. I hope the Vikings have as much luck there as they did the last 5 years at the Fieldhouse.
The Civic Center is both cold and impersonal. Park in the deck at your own risk. More suited to hold a circus than a Regional Final.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-12-18, 06:05 PM
Bball216 Bball216 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-08-13
Posts: 2,783
Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Great

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-12-18, 08:57 PM
C'Town216 C'Town216 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-11-14
Posts: 1,826
C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
I believe I mentioned this but I have always felt they should move D-II Canton Regional to the Fieldhouse and the Canton District to Barberton. And have The D-IV Canton Regional Play on a Tuesday and Friday D-III on Wednesday and Saturday at 2pm and D-II play Thursday and Saturday night


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-12-18, 10:16 PM
SeeYaSometime SeeYaSometime is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-16-05
Posts: 3,900
SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
D1 District is at Barberton now since Copley gave it up.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-12-18, 10:17 PM
FootsWalker FootsWalker is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-02-07
Posts: 1,703
FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveHoopFan08 View Post
The Civic Center is both cold and impersonal. Park in the deck at your own risk. More suited to hold a circus than a Regional Final.
I thought that last year the venue was significantly improved over what it was like 2-3 years earlier, for what its worth.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-15-18, 05:40 PM
C'Town216 C'Town216 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-11-14
Posts: 1,826
C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Not looking good for the Vikings down
24-17 in the early part of the 2nd qtr.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-15-18, 05:52 PM
CleveHoopFan08 CleveHoopFan08 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-06-08
Posts: 228
CleveHoopFan08 is on a distinguished road
36 35 va half
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-15-18, 05:54 PM
CleveHoopFan08 CleveHoopFan08 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-06-08
Posts: 228
CleveHoopFan08 is on a distinguished road
3 steals inside a minute put joes up. Could easily be down at half. Lakeview not going anywhere. Their depth however will factor in 2nd half
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-15-18, 11:21 PM
C'Town216 C'Town216 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-11-14
Posts: 1,826
C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
How much did the parking deck at the Civic Center charge to park?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-16-18, 12:11 AM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,286
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
$6
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-16-18, 12:17 AM
C'Town216 C'Town216 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-11-14
Posts: 1,826
C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
$6
Cool, thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-16-18, 12:20 AM
SeeYaSometime SeeYaSometime is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-16-05
Posts: 3,900
SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Stay out of the parking deck. Pull ahead, pay your $6 and park in the outside lot. It's a much easier get out. But don't take my spot!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Personal Responsibility 14Red General Board 117 03-21-18 04:03 PM
Mid-season Rankings (all three divisions posted 1-4-17 late evening) bucksman Wrestling 32 02-09-18 12:10 AM
Preseason Rankings - statewide divisional (2017-18) bucksman Wrestling 18 12-18-17 09:07 AM
D VII State Semifinal: St. Paul (13-0) vs Minster (9-4) EagleFan Football 130 11-27-17 08:26 PM
OHSAA Announces Football State Semifinal Bracket Pairings - Except DIII and DVI Yappi Football 27 11-17-17 11:13 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz