Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-21-17, 07:26 AM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
MAC Discussion

Should be an interesting year with lots of teams looking the majority of minutes played from last season.

The MAC West has more experience returning but the MAC East has reloaded year after year the past decade plus.

In the East I like Buffalo, Kent and Ohio. I think it'll take Groce a year or two before Akron is really a threat again. They lost too many players even before the coaching change to be dominant in conference again this season.

In the West, WMU is early favorite.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-17, 07:30 AM
All Yappi

Ohio played in a tournament in Charleston, South Carolina and had respectable/close loses to Clemson and Dayton before finally getting a win over Indiana State. Ohio is playing without returning MAC Freshman All-MAC/Preseason 1st Team Center Jason Carter. He is injured. Should be back early next month. Along with two injured freshman post players, Ohio has played thus far with basically two servicable bigs. Excited to see what they can do with Carter and some post depth.
Old 11-21-17, 11:35 AM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
I don't know if I'd call getting beat by 14 to Dayton as respectable
Old 11-21-17, 12:26 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Yeah OU isn't very good right now. Lost two of the top 5 players in the MAC and Carter is injured
Old 11-21-17, 04:53 PM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
Buffalo is going to run through the East. Massinburg POY.
Old 11-21-17, 08:07 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Toledo probably a bit young in the paint to win the West. Coach's recruiting is skizzo. Can't decide if he want's Bobby Knight's team or Jerry Tarkanians, so he gets half and half.

Big games against Syracuse and Kansas. Probably beat them and lose to Cornel, lol. Nope. UT struggled with Oakland, who was missing one of their top players and Oakland just got an education from Syracuse. I don't think Toledo will hang, unless a lights out perimeter game.
Old 11-22-17, 09:25 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop Stix View Post
I could very easily see Buffalo winning the East and Massinburg winning POY but I don't see them running through the East. I think 13-5 probably wins the East this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Was expecting a lot worse without Jason Carter and starting a freshman PG. Fortunately for Ohio we won't be without Jason Carter too much longer and Teyvion Kirk looks like the real deal at PG.
Old 11-25-17, 06:04 AM
All Yappi

kent16 is on a distinguished road
MAC is looking like its gonna be extremely competitive league this year... Could be interesting pretty much every team in the conference have looked competitive so far... BGSU is really surprising me
Old 11-27-17, 10:55 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent16 View Post
MAC is looking like its gonna be extremely competitive league this year... Could be interesting pretty much every team in the conference have looked competitive so far... BGSU is really surprising me
Agreed bottom of MAC looking a lot better than I expected considering MAC was hit fairly hard by graduation.
Old 12-06-17, 11:09 AM
All Yappi

Ball State upsets #9 Notre Dame

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=400986125

What a big-time performance.
Old 12-06-17, 03:32 PM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 View Post
Agreed bottom of MAC looking a lot better than I expected considering MAC was hit fairly hard by graduation.
I think Coldwater has a great chance to win the league this year
Old 12-06-17, 03:34 PM
All Yappi

MontetheCarlo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 View Post
Ball State upsets #9 Notre Dame

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=400986125

What a big-time performance.
Hard ballers at Testicle Tech.
Old 12-06-17, 04:10 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Pretty interesting test tonight for Kent State. They're catching Xavier right after the Muskies had an emotional win over UC, so they could catch them kind of flat.
Old 12-22-17, 08:07 AM
All Yappi

Another nice win for the MAC.. KSU beating a power 5 solid win for program that seems to be losing all of its lust.. Nielson just spent a ton more 2 bring a football coach in for a program that has never done anything.. Hopefully KSU will finally rid themselves of him and hire an AD that knows kent is more of a basketball school.. Program needs a boost of energy (more money put into it).. MAC East and MAC in general looks like it will be a real competitive year.. Nobody looks like they will runaway from the pack..
Old 12-22-17, 08:57 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent16 View Post
Another nice win for the MAC.. KSU beating a power 5 solid win for program that seems to be losing all of its lust.. Nielson just spent a ton more 2 bring a football coach in for a program that has never done anything.. Hopefully KSU will finally rid themselves of him and hire an AD that knows kent is more of a basketball school.. Program needs a boost of energy (more money put into it).. MAC East and MAC in general looks like it will be a real competitive year.. Nobody looks like they will runaway from the pack..
Isn't Saban from Kent? Pinkel? Holtz? They were top of the MAC just a few years ago. Edelman, Gates, Harrison and Nix? Have they had an NBA player with more than two years in the league, ever?
Old 12-23-17, 01:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Isn't Saban from Kent? Pinkel? Holtz? They were top of the MAC just a few years ago. Edelman, Gates, Harrison and Nix? Have they had an NBA player with more than two years in the league, ever?
How many mac titles does kent have in football... How many winning seasons do they have in football? Doug Martin was a genius recruiter for a MAC school.. Don't think haynes or hazell have had a recruit sniff the NFL that they brought in.. Hopefully Lewis does something with the program, but I doubt it nobody else has made it consistent... Kent State is much better off investing in basketball
Old 01-20-18, 10:47 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop Stix View Post
Genius prediction. Buffalo is too good for the MAC.
Old 01-21-18, 06:09 PM
All Yappi

It's still not clear if Toledo is building to something that can challenge Buffalo or still relying on match-ups. They have a nice grouping of tall that can reliably shoot 3's and that's a difficult match. Painfully thin in the post, particularly when the one post guy is also the guy that can shoot threes. Thin at the PG also, though the Fr from Garfield Ht's is coming along, it's basically him and a shooting guard that's adequate most of the time on offense, almost never adequate on defense. It's a team of forwards.
Old 01-23-18, 07:42 PM
All World

Quote:
It's still not clear if Toledo is building to something that can challenge Buffalo or still relying on match-ups. They have a nice grouping of tall that can reliably shoot 3's and that's a difficult match. Painfully thin in the post, particularly when the one post guy is also the guy that can shoot threes. Thin at the PG also, though the Fr from Garfield Ht's is coming along, it's basically him and a shooting guard that's adequate most of the time on offense, almost never adequate on defense. It's a team of forwards.
How do you think this year's Toledo team stacks up with the 13-14 team?
Old 01-24-18, 09:01 PM
All Yappi

I think the bigger comparison is the conference. I don't think anyone in conference today would have beaten that post APR disaster team but what are your thoughts?

Mine?

This year's team doesn't have perimeter d, they couldn't handle Juice Brown or Drummond. Fletcher, also a transfer could match up JD but that takes Fletcher out of the offense and he's a bigger part of that than was JD. Point 2014.

2017 at the end of the year will be significantly improved because of the Garfield Hts kids. The Fr is getting better quickly on defense and is taking more PG minutes from Sanford so he can play his more natural spot. 2013's advantage, IMO is Navigato and unstated Knapke. Boothe and Garber would have been the only height match-ups and they were both still young and pudgy.

Beginning of season, 2013 no doubt. End of season? TBD. This year's team seems to have finally learned the first letter of that part of the game that's not offense. If they can learn to spell that word as a team, instead of as individuals, I think they'd have a shot against 2014 but not Southern Miss. Without an extremely hot shooting night, they'll get obliterated in first round of NCAA or NIT. Hope not, but that's what I'm seeing. They can't hold D consistently throughout a game. They can't hold a lead.
Old 01-31-18, 04:24 PM
All Yappi

Kent knocks off UB... Seems like Senderoff has team picking up steam
Old 01-31-18, 05:18 PM
All Yappi

definitely a statement. Buffs were the only potentially legit basketball team in the league. No one was playing particularly recognizable basketball but at least they have athletes.
Old 01-31-18, 05:44 PM
All Yappi

Ya caught me off guard think they were down 18 at half.. If Kent can get de la Rosa 2 stay next year they will return quite the trio between him,walker, and pippen..
Old 01-31-18, 06:33 PM
All Yappi

Must have been an exciting game. It's still on ESPN replay, I'll have to give it a look.

You thinking de la Rosa might try the waters? There are some good centers coming out this year. Not sure about next. He owned the boards against Toledo but our center is a stick and plays out anyhow.

Kent is pretty Junior heavy, they should be back to themelves next year, if not by end of this. Zabo hurt us (Toledo) but I don't think he'll be difficult to replace. He doesn't have a lot of assists, looking at his stats. And isn't a killer in shot percentage either.

Last edited by eastisbest; 01-31-18 at 08:28 PM..
Old 01-31-18, 08:14 PM
All Yappi

Ya Zabo has played out of his mind last 8 or so games... Not sure if De La Rosa will graduate this spring and be eligible for grad transfer..
Old 03-11-18, 09:10 AM
All World

Bulls win their 3rd MAC 'ship in 4 years.

They return everyone except Clark next year as well.

Would love to see them face a team like OSU in the tournament.
Old 03-11-18, 08:10 PM
All Yappi

Arizona isn't it? Could maybe get the upset.

I liked what I saw with Toledo after the Fletcher injury. Obviously not enough to keep up with Buffalo in short notice but they were equals for most of the game. Unless Buffs grab another big time player from the P5, I think UT will have a shot. They also are only losing one, Fletcher and have a pretty good shooter coming in. Miami also looking tough. Those Fr played tough and the coach has them playing the best rotation in the MAC and they're tight on D.
Old 03-12-18, 08:41 AM
All World

Quote:
Arizona isn't it? Could maybe get the upset.

I liked what I saw with Toledo after the Fletcher injury. Obviously not enough to keep up with Buffalo in short notice but they were equals for most of the game. Unless Buffs grab another big time player from the P5, I think UT will have a shot. They also are only losing one, Fletcher and have a pretty good shooter coming in. Miami also looking tough. Those Fr played tough and the coach has them playing the best rotation in the MAC and they're tight on D.
I didn't realize Toledo only lost Fletcher. I guess there's no reason why UT and UB shouldn't meet in the conference finals again next season.

Buffalo got a tough draw with Arizona who is the top 4 seed in my opinion. Buffalo hasn't beat any good teams outside of the MAC so I don't think they have the horses to beat the Wildcats but hopefully they can hang with them for most of the game.
Old 03-12-18, 05:58 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
I hate the fact that the MAC has devolved into nothing more than a one bid league. I have no idea why, but this year even the NIT didn't feel Toledo was worthy of a spot.
Between the NCAA (68 teams) and NIT (32 teams), exactly ONE MAC team is still playing.
Good article:
http://www.cleveland.com/sports/coll...w_did_the.html
Old 03-15-18, 10:42 PM
All Yappi

Buffs make a statement and though it was a stand without a win, I'm fine that Toledo stood up and said NIT or nothing.