Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-15-18, 12:55 PM
NEOballer NEOballer is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-27-12
Posts: 148
NEOballer is on a distinguished road
Changes coming to transfer bylaw?

Proposal to switch penalty to 2nd half of the season and postseason

http://www.ohsaa.org/news-media/arti...or-Vote-in-May
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 02-15-18, 01:08 PM
America America is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-20-15
Posts: 1,586
America is an unknown quantity at this point
stupid
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-15-18, 01:14 PM
jet jet is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 05-26-13
Posts: 148
jet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
stupid
Trying to put a stop to all of these transfers
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-15-18, 01:20 PM
Zwick_4_Prez Zwick_4_Prez is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-12-07
Posts: 1,359
Zwick_4_Prez is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
Trying to put a stop to all of these transfers
Who really cares?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-15-18, 01:24 PM
Mr. Slippery's Avatar
Mr. Slippery Mr. Slippery is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: Slippery Rock
Posts: 18,520
Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
I imagine the vote on this proposal will end up being very close. I don't know if it would pass or not.

If it would pass, there are enough exceptions in place that if a kid still wants to transfer, then he or she will do it without any cost to his or her eligibility.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-15-18, 01:28 PM
ctowner ctowner is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-31-16
Posts: 137
ctowner is on a distinguished road
"Education based athletics". Not "win at all costs" athletics. This is a better deterrent to those who put athletics above education.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-15-18, 01:28 PM
Paladin1aa Paladin1aa is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-16-06
Location: Mahoning Valley
Posts: 1,121
Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
A significant number of the membership sees a problem. Otherwise this wouldn't be on the ballot.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-15-18, 01:28 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 51,158
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Personally, I would get rid of the half season sit out rule and go strictly to no post season.

I would also get rid of all exceptions.

This would have the least negative impact on a transfer player and the most positive impact of bringing back what high schools sports is supposed to be...my school versus your school.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-15-18, 02:12 PM
MCGal MCGal is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-21-01
Posts: 37,904
MCGal
Send a message via AIM to MCGal
You can't get rid of the exceptions ... it wouldn't hold up in court... heck people find legal loopholes in the law as it is now.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-15-18, 05:14 PM
IVCguy IVCguy is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-18-16
Posts: 216
IVCguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwick_4_Prez View Post
Who really cares?
I really don't. I used to care some when our little rural school would run into an urban AAU squad masquerading as a high school team. Years later, the little I cared is pretty much gone.

If a gun is put to my head, I like the present rule. Little Penelope doesn't like her coach or circumstances at Home HS so she transfers to Overthere HS, sits half a season, and then she is happier (maybe). I like the idea of parents having options and freedom of movement to do what they think is best for Penelope.

The problem I had with the prior rule was that it required that a bona fide move be proven - which caused a lot of lying, and the OHSAA put itself in a position where it had to be diviners of intent (essentially, mind-readers) in order to separate the bona fide from the deceptive. It was subjective and arbitrary. It also punished intact families. Yes, you heard that right. Divorced and separated people are allowed to have two separate households and addresses, so one parent rents an apartment in the district they want to Penelope to play in, and, voila, it's a bona fide move. Much, much more difficult for a married couple who own a home. How many couples did sham legal separations in order to transfer their kid easily? I don't know, but there was a strong incentive there to do it.

While I see the problems with HS free agency, and the problems that causes with competitive balance, I'm not sure we should be focused on CB. Perhaps freedom and choices for parents and kids is more important.

My two kids played in 4 final fours, lost one semi-final and 3 champ games. What I have realized is that their lives aren't any different than if they had won 4 championships. The value in playing HS ball was in the life lessons they learned in the process. So, let them transfer, and sitting out 11 games seems sufficient to exact a cost. Certain schools are going to win championships because they can essentially select kids with talent that allow them to do that. It's not ideal, but in the end, it doesn't really matter all that much. I can't tell you who won state championships 2 or 3 years ago off the top of my head. Most people can't - which shows that it really doesn't matter that much.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-16-18, 12:08 PM
y2h y2h is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-18-01
Location: Mr. H-O-O-V-E-R!!!!
Posts: 12,865
y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCguy View Post
I really don't. I used to care some when our little rural school would run into an urban AAU squad masquerading as a high school team. Years later, the little I cared is pretty much gone.

If a gun is put to my head, I like the present rule. Little Penelope doesn't like her coach or circumstances at Home HS so she transfers to Overthere HS, sits half a season, and then she is happier (maybe). I like the idea of parents having options and freedom of movement to do what they think is best for Penelope.

The problem I had with the prior rule was that it required that a bona fide move be proven - which caused a lot of lying, and the OHSAA put itself in a position where it had to be diviners of intent (essentially, mind-readers) in order to separate the bona fide from the deceptive. It was subjective and arbitrary. It also punished intact families. Yes, you heard that right. Divorced and separated people are allowed to have two separate households and addresses, so one parent rents an apartment in the district they want to Penelope to play in, and, voila, it's a bona fide move. Much, much more difficult for a married couple who own a home. How many couples did sham legal separations in order to transfer their kid easily? I don't know, but there was a strong incentive there to do it.

While I see the problems with HS free agency, and the problems that causes with competitive balance, I'm not sure we should be focused on CB. Perhaps freedom and choices for parents and kids is more important.

My two kids played in 4 final fours, lost one semi-final and 3 champ games. What I have realized is that their lives aren't any different than if they had won 4 championships. The value in playing HS ball was in the life lessons they learned in the process. So, let them transfer, and sitting out 11 games seems sufficient to exact a cost. Certain schools are going to win championships because they can essentially select kids with talent that allow them to do that. It's not ideal, but in the end, it doesn't really matter all that much. I can't tell you who won state championships 2 or 3 years ago off the top of my head. Most people can't - which shows that it really doesn't matter that much.
If it doesn't matter why have competitive athletics at all? Alot of people couldn't tell you the NCAA or pro champ from a few years ago off the top of their head...thats why we have record books and hang banners

They represent the community...if you want a free for all take the name off the jersey and they can play for teams sponsored by Taco Bell and Walmart and get players from wherever they like.

Nobody is taking away freedom of choice...nobody will stop you from transferring to a different school. But as it pertains to athletics there has to be a line otherwise it's all a farce. Even the NCAA has a consequence for transferring.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-06-18, 12:00 PM
IVCguy IVCguy is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-18-16
Posts: 216
IVCguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
If it doesn't matter why have competitive athletics at all? Alot of people couldn't tell you the NCAA or pro champ from a few years ago off the top of their head...thats why we have record books and hang banners

They represent the community...if you want a free for all take the name off the jersey and they can play for teams sponsored by Taco Bell and Walmart and get players from wherever they like.

Nobody is taking away freedom of choice...nobody will stop you from transferring to a different school. But as it pertains to athletics there has to be a line otherwise it's all a farce. Even the NCAA has a consequence for transferring.
It doesn't matter in the BIG PICTURE of what the greatest benefits of competitive sports are. In the small picture, if there is a game, then you work hard to prepare to win the dang thing. Every time. But if you lose, it's not the end of the world. It is, after all, a "game", i.e. a diversion from more serious matters in life.

Told both of my kids when they were playing: "When you are practicing or playing a game, that is the most important thing going on in the world, so give it all of your focus, attention, and effort. The second it's over, it is one of the least important things in the world."

My point is not that stacking teams with talent thru transfers isn't important, but that it isn't all THAT important. Certain schools have coaches that attract players, a winning tradition attracts them, and sometimes they just want to play with their friends. Other times a kid isn't happy where he is and thinks he will be happy over there. In the end, I just am out of hoots to give about what choices other people are making.

The old rules did restrict movement (freedom) by creating barriers to it - and I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, but it had some unintended consequences and implications that were not good. So, they changed the rule and there actually is a consequence to transferring - half a regular season. That's not nothing, but some reasonable people may feel a bigger deterrent would be better. OK.

What I am saying is that I don't really care - again - because for the lives of these players (which is really the only thing that should matter), if they didn't get a banner or medal because they lost to a school with a bunch of talented transfers, it will not affect their future in a negative way one iota. It's not like a 25 year old will be saying, "Man, if we hadn't lost that game in the regional finals against Stacked High School, I could have turned my life into something." If so, what are we talking about here?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changes coming to transfer bylaw? NEOballer Football 97 03-28-18 03:57 PM
Changes coming to transfer bylaw? NEOballer Boys Basketball 61 02-20-18 12:41 PM
New Ohio Youth League Coming Soon OHIO eLITE WRESTLING Wrestling 44 08-29-17 04:58 PM
How many games will Canton McKinley win this coming season??? IUDOGS Football 45 08-16-17 09:05 AM
Who is going to win the Federal League this coming season???? IUDOGS Football 17 07-27-17 01:04 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz