Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-25-18, 08:06 PM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Waco

Anyone else see the new mini series? It aired last night on Paramount (used to be Spike TV). Pretty good first episode, laying the ground work for the shootout.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-18, 08:12 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Anyone else see the new mini series? It aired last night on Paramount (used to be Spike TV). Pretty good first episode, laying the ground work for the shootout.
Interesting how they tied it into Ruby Ridge. After how those two worked out, I think the feds will wait out anyone from here on in whenever possible.
Old 01-25-18, 08:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Interesting how they tied it into Ruby Ridge. After how those two worked out, I think the feds will wait out anyone from here on in whenever possible.
Both of those incidents were motivating factors behind the OKC bombing.
Old 01-25-18, 11:02 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
I thought it was very well done. In fact it was so well done that I'm actually not looking forward to seeing the terrible slaughter that's coming.

Frankly, I was surprised at the tone this mini series is taking. While clearly conveying that Koresh and the branch davidians were fruit loops the 1st episode shows the government and particularly the FBI & ATF, in a very bad light.

The behind the scenes machinations going on within and between the FBI & ATF gives this mini-series a very topical vibe. The connection to Ruby Ridge and how that impacted the Waco situation was also important to show.
Old 01-26-18, 11:24 AM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Frankly, I was surprised at the tone this mini series is taking. While clearly conveying that Koresh and the branch davidians were fruit loops the 1st episode shows the government and particularly the FBI & ATF, in a very bad light.
As they should. Many lessons learned from the mistakes at Waco (and Ruby Ridge). I still remember watching the $hit live on TV and thinking why is this escalating to this point?
Old 01-26-18, 12:15 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
My daughter is studying this stand-off in her HS current events class. Up to this point she had a basic view of the Govt as being this entity that was there to serve the people in a positive manner, now she is ready to disband everything and let folks fend for themselves as that is better than some idiots in DC make all the calls.
Old 01-26-18, 12:24 PM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
After how those two worked out, I think the feds will wait out anyone from here on in whenever possible.
Yeah. If only they'd just done what law enforcement told them.
Old 03-01-18, 07:43 PM
All Yappi

The series slowed down in the middle episodes, but the finale was excellent. However, it’s really sad all of this was completely avoidable.
Old 03-01-18, 10:34 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
That ending was gut wrenching. From my understanding of the events surrounding Waco this mini-series got it mostly right.

And for the record even if you don't agree with the notion that the FBI should not have flooded the compound with tear gas the question asked by the talk radio guy at the end, which was asked by a whole lot of people back when this went down, was why the hell didn't the FBI have fire fighting equipment on site to fight any fires? I mean the track record of tear gas bursting into flame in these situations indicated that it was highly likely a fire would break out.

IMO, an honest assessment of the actions of these federal agencies, especially the ATF & FBI over the last 30 years, would indicate a pattern of incompetence and even malevolence. It's sad that America's premiere law enforcement agency has such a checkered history. And for me at least it was hard not relating what is happening today with the FBI with the actions of the bumbling agents involved in the Waco disaster.

The # 1 priority of the FBI, other than fighting crime, has to be restoring public trust in this battered institution. And a hint to those running the FBI - busting college basketball payoff schemes isn't going to get it done.
Old 03-01-18, 10:40 PM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Untaxed money> cruz

FBI logic
Old 03-02-18, 03:34 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
Yeah. If only they'd just done what law enforcement told them.
Europe's Jews did. What could be the harm?
Old 03-02-18, 03:44 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
My daughter is studying this stand-off in her HS current events class. Up to this point she had a basic view of the Govt as being this entity that was there to serve the people in a positive manner, now she is ready to disband everything and let folks fend for themselves as that is better than some idiots in DC make all the calls.
If only adults could get this simple truth.
Old 03-03-18, 09:33 PM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Bring back J Edgar, I hear he wore a dress fabulously.
Old 03-04-18, 01:43 PM
All Yappi

I don't feel bad for Koresh, he was a nut and a pedophile. I do feel bad for the innocent followers that were killed.

There's still a lot of conflicting information, the survivors say there was never a plan for mass suicide. However, there are FBI audiotapes of Koresh talking about pouring lighter fluid over the compound.
Old 03-15-18, 10:20 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Finally got around to watching the rest of this. I thought it was very well done and a relatively balanced portrayal. It took me four or five episodes to realize that the guy playing Koresh was Tim Riggins from Friday Night Lights. Thought he was very good. I would not have guessed he had that in him.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: