Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-13-17, 08:05 PM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking a bit more closely at the Tangy - R-burg game ,it really wasn't a 31-7 ballgame in terms of yardage disparity as R-Burg because of their big plays did have an 88 yard advantage from scrimmage, but Tangy turned it over and missed on five 4th downs which is another form of turnover . R-Burg played clean, it will probably be one of their top couple games they will paly all year, just one of those nights for Tangy, it certainly doesn't define them , Rocks need to be sharp.

Rocks will have to stay home and be disciplined on defense , do your job , stay in your lane , carry out your assignment , no free lancing .

If they do this and execute their scheme their Linebackers should be able to do a nice job against the run and covering the flats and the short passing lanes that Tangy likes to use with a quick release from the QB who just steps and throws within a second and a half .

Arms up , gets some tipped balls and try to get a few interceptions . There will eb opportunity's . This is a diverse offense , they will use two QB'S one who runs well the other is a bit more accurate passer. Iverson is quick at RB , Rocks need to put some hats on him and tackle well .

Braves want this team and want payback after getting beaten up a bit last year, they have some size and the Slades on defense are good, team is better than they showed last Friday. Rocks must try to match the emotional level early and play with a chip as well and grind them a bit . Take their confidence away early .

Rocks will likely have Drennan back and he can be utilized in a few different ways. No tape on him this season as this will be his first game. Should be a good one , hopefully the Rocks will travel well for this one, get a lot of students out,, should be a good atmosphere over there.

Rocks do some of the little things that good teams do. They fly to the football , tackle well for the most part , and I like the way the receivers have blocked downfield .

My coach was big on hustling to make blocks downfield { If you can see the front of the jersey that is } that often is the difference in really breaking a big play or may be stalling later in the drive . Bajec in particular has delivered some good blocks and is a sturdy kid who will strike you . Other receivers are also being willing blockers. Good teams play as a team and that includes blocking for each other, holding blocks and helping each other on defense in terms of communicating and playing as a unit with each guy doing his particular job.
Old 09-13-17, 09:08 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
Agree on many counts. I think it will be a better game than many are assuming. Many are indeed probably reading too much into the loss to the Burg last week. I don't think that ends up 31-7 too many times if they were to replay it 10x. It is really tough to get a read on the Braves, though, from their first 3 games.

I took in the Coffman/Tangy game last year and it was a manhandling, but 'Tangy was a young team replacing a ton of people then. Solis is a good coach, and they will definitely be more solid 11 on 11 than any of Coffman's first 3 opponents. I still like Coffman, by 10-14, but I think it will be a solid, competitive contest in many facets of the game.

Having a strong LB corps, which Coffman does, is a important vs. the Braves because they mix it up a lot with misdirection, short passes, etc. Having 3 seasoned, complementary seniors back there is big deal IMHO. And not to send this off the rails, but I have a hunch that Sturdivant (and his ol' man) will be looking to have a big night.

Last edited by Lambeau Fields; 09-14-17 at 07:46 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-14-17, 05:43 AM
All American

Yes the Coffman LB'S are a good mix skill wise. Sometimes you have three thumpers or three smaller quicker kids , this group does complement each other well and with the experience they have it's a very productive unit , probably the best trio I have seen play together in this program .

WEEK 4

A handful of key games as about this time of year quasi play-off games start to dot the ledger and this years week match-ups is no different .

Westerville Central at Pick North - PN kind of let one slip away last week much to the delight of probably the largest base of fans out here in this space . C-Ville fans are passionate no doubt .

WC was able to hammer Eastmoor last week a rare breather on their tough schedule , I think this club has some potential , we know they are well coached, and they have some good skill kids with speed outside and Smith at RB a shorter quick kid with good strength in his lower base. Can be productive , Coffman limited him n the game scrimmage but gave up a few longer pass plays . Smith to me is the key here as you want to keep PN and Jimmy Football off of the field as much as possible .

Too much of Jimmy W here in the end PN 28 WC 14

To be continued
Old 09-14-17, 06:26 AM
All American

Meant to have PN 28 WC 17 not 14 . think that Westy C will move the ball at times no question, wouldn't surprise me if this one is a bit more higher scoring.

Bradley at Darby - pretty straightforward handicap here, one team has more fast athletic guys than the other team , and also I think there is a pretty decent gap between Bradley and BOTH Davidson and Darby who played in an ugly set back offensive football to the late 50's game were pretty much the same team . Bradley showed Davidson last week that they aren't to be lumped in with the other two . Same type result as last week to me Bradley 31- 14

WS Ibbies at Upper Ahhhlington - Think UA can be good when they are clicking . Sass is gaining experience , he may be a year away from putting some things together , three sport guy who isn't al consumed with football may be ? Plays more baseball when some QB'S are going hard at refining footwork improving accuracy may be ? Just a thought , not trying to knock the kid who is obviously an very good athlete and will probably play baseball in college . Ibbies are the Ibbies still , only this year theya re dangerous with Gill and that gives them some confidence . UA has enough discipline and offensive firepower to get by here UA 31 Ibbies 20

To be continued
Old 09-14-17, 06:56 AM
All American

Week 4 Cont

Dub Muirfield at Dub Sawmill - Jerome has had a tough schedule the last two weeks. Week one was a scrimmage vs Logan a good first game for a rebuilding team . this is not last year's Jerome team and most of us familiar knew it , some in the media and others assumed the program was a re-load program and it' snot that , yet anyway. Talent is less, speed is less , they have a few big kids , they have worked hard in the weight room .

But in this match-up which I feel will be very close they don't have the athletes that Scioto has. Scioto had some folks on the sideline the first few weeks , and now that they are back the team is different. Rogers at QB , Penn in the slot, Tobias Thomas out wide and Pannell carrying the rock is a situation many teams would like .

Jerome will hold their own up front though , they will be able to move the ball a bit better than they did against Orange and Pick North , they have seen good athletes so that won't be a big shock when they go against Scioto's skill . Tough one to call , I will flip the coin a few times and it came up Scioto with some momentum and confidence winning by a whisker Rats 23 Country Clubbers 21

Continued
Old 09-14-17, 08:35 AM
Varsity

Scrumper is on a distinguished road
2 cents worth

Scioto over Jerome 31-21. Torn on this one. For Coffman's sake, I want Harbns that Scioto brings. But, also for Coffman's sake would love to see Jerome in playoffs. City champs would be ground in if lucky enough to get Jerome in playoffs.

Bradley over Darby, with running clock in second half.

UA rights the ship from the defensive side of the ball and wins 21-14.

PN over WC by 3 scores just because. Must show last week was a fluke

Coffman over Tangy 31-0. Hard to win if you can't run the ball. Front 7 maybe one of the best in state. Back side defense is opportunistic. May give up a couple of long plays, but I believe the defense is playing tough and with some deserved swagger to throw the gooseegg up.
Old 09-14-17, 01:29 PM
All American

Scrumper with the bulletin board bullet . I am not going that route here not out of some strategic ploy t what is it we really know ?

OK . lets do it

Week 4 continued

Dublin South Central at LC Braves - Lucky Louis Pasteur has it at Coffman - 11 , sounds reasonable I suppose, but again what do we really know ?

Tangy suks overreaction from the R-Burg debacle abounds , you see score , you react to it and it says What the heil happened to Tangy ?

Well aside from the obvious and predictable overreaction to that score and loss , Tangy wasn't exactly setting the world on fire . Were down 17-7 to Darby before mounting a nice comeback and eventually running away quite literally rom Darby , it was just as much a result of uncharacteristic turnovers and general Darby Sloppiness that tilted the scoreboard and lengthened the margin.

21-10 over Grovetucky ? MEH , We can concur that the R-Burg game was not man vs Boys and yardage wise more like a 10 point at most margin . Snap for snap not a huge difference although it was apparent that R-BURG had some homerun hitters in their line-up and they hit a couple Earl Weaver special three run dingers that sunk the Braves. We know the Braves have the Slade brothers who are D-1 D-Lineman some fleet receivers a running QB and a better passer , Iverson can run , is quick and dangerous . Line is bigger this year after months of throwing iron around . We know Solis is an upper echelon coach .

Coffman? 2015 Perrysburg club may have given them a go , but this year? Overmatched in most areas on the field . Scioto ? Too many guys out not enough depth and not enough size . Scrimmaged a JV team last week , so what do we really know ?

We know they have a stable of Running backs as deep as they have had I believe , even without Donut { Mike Drennan } taking even one snap . Three to 4 deep if you count D-Lineman Cummings who can really run and was a RB in his former life .

Two QB'S who are athletic and can make plays , Ernst is the clear QB 1 and is doing a good job and is a good leader, , also an excellent slot receiver if needed, may be the only QB I have seen in quite a while return kicks , although when Donut gets back that will change .

LB crew is excellent talented and experienced in equal parts , makes the defense go . D-line is solid two kids played a lot last year with Bagozzi a rock in the middle and Cummings a speed rusher at 200 pounds on the edge . Would like to see Holcomb gets some snaps on D to get experience but occupied with the aforementioned Slades blocking from his H-Back/TE spot.

Where team is inexperienced ? O-Line , no returning starters { Holcomb started at Tackle last year} D-Backs , no returning starters , and receivers { No starters with Drennan out } .

Last year the margin was vast, pretty big disparity, this year that shrinks a bit but it isn't as if Coffman lost everyone and Tangy has everyone back dynamic although Tangy does have a ton back Coffman ahs some very good football players back in the fold in 2017 as well .

Tangy off of the bad loss, revenge factor, experienced talent back , excellent coaching , and home field { Not a huge edge in HS Football but something here in the revenge dynamic } plays like Heil and gives the Rocks all they want.

Rocks late injury report is not as favorable as I once thought , so that tempers my prediction a tad here, not entirely sure about Tangy's Mash report but I believe they are pretty healthy . Rocks will be better in some areas when added snaps and experience / some players back and or 100 percent dynamic improves , so with all these factors thrown into a large cauldron , this is what spits back at me .

Dub South Central 23 LC Braves 17

Continued
Old 09-14-17, 02:23 PM
All American

Week 4 Cont

Olentangy Powell at Hilliard Davidson - Must win for HD no getting around it, they lose ? NO PLAY-OFFS. Not eliminated but tiny chance of entry . Pasteur has it at OL - 6 .

Last 7 games 5 of them with last years more experienced offense against the best teams the Cats have played { Coffman Liberty , Darby , Bradley } the Cats have put up a total of 67 points. that's an average of about 9.6 a game. This year they put up 3 against Darby in regulation and 10 vs Bradley . Looking a little deeper since last year's Coffman game in the reg season , they Cats have played 4 games { 2 vs. Coffman I vs. Darby , Bradley } and had exactly ONE SCORING drive of any length resulting in a TD.

Last week they had a TD after recovering a fumble at the Bradley 35 and scored on the first play , a rare pass that fooled the Jags.

They have a scoring problem. White in the paper was quoted as saying he isn't " Changing anything" we will do what we always do , ". He also added that his team isn't one or have the personality" to chuck it 30 times from some spread set . HMM does it have to be either " ONLY RUN , or SPREAD IT OUT?? It can be somewhere in the middle Brian , really throwing well timed passes say 8- 12 times a game isn't an affront to your manhood , OR IS IT ?

I get the feeling that to him it isn't worth wining a football game if you have to have a balanced offense or at lease a somewhat balanced offense in order to achieve it . Sorry , you don't have to choose between what they do and some kind of version of the Run and Shoot . I do believe as I said last week that the Cats will be effective NEXT year or may be even later this year at doing what they do with more experienced backs and lineman coming back in droves next year.

What they are doing this year is not effective, it just isn't , they are really struggling to move the ball consistently and they will have trouble again this week if they run the same stuff they tried to do against Darby and Bradley . What it looks like is the basic dive , the QB follow off of the fake dive and the option pitch , al of which they either don't have the right personnel to run it or they can't get enough room to do it. I suspect it is a combination of the two.

Anyway , Liberty comes in off of a sluggish subpar performance vs M-Ville who isn't great but improved and has a few good runners most notably Thomas Rush who is going to Minnesota to play LB.

Liberty has had better personnel the last few years at al levels than Davidson has I think , more starters back from last years 28-3 beating of Davidson AND won the JV game by 20 points . Not saying JV results mean a lot, but it means something I think when coupled with the fact that Liberty has more Varsity players back as well.

More athletes , can deal up front with Davidson physicality , and just a better team not by much on this night with Davidson who is desperate , and let me stress this strongly , Davidson when they are backed into a corner has almost always come out on top and played well , and they are indeed backed into a corner tomorrow. it's a paly-off game .

If Liberty as they have done vs Davidson in other years gets down and backs down for even a second they are in big trouble . So it won't surprise me even a little if Davidson wins the ballgame , but I believe Liberty ahs turned a bit of a corner as a program , and while not as good as last years team is good enough vs the run and has some match-up advantages in some areas { RB Webb can grind a bit , receivers are better athletes than the guys covering them and the O-line won't be pushed around giving the QB some time to pass}

Olentangy Powell 17 Davidson 13
Old 09-14-17, 02:50 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
White in the paper was quoted as saying he isn't " Changing anything" we will do what we always do , ".
That's cool. I definitely respect that.
Old 09-14-17, 03:45 PM
All American

yes you have to respect that , wasn't expecting anything different, not sure he ahs people to do other things anyway, but the " We don't chuck it 30 times and spread it out" quote was silly, , like I said it isn't an either or situation , he will beat his head against the wall against good teams though with this offense THIS YEAR, Next year may be with the experience they get they improve running this , but it looks ugly so far this year .
Old 09-14-17, 07:00 PM
All American

Week 4 Final

Kilbourne at YOTW - Wow , is this really happening ? Is this heaven ? No it's the ye Olde Village square and they learned to play football virtually overnight it seems. Playmakers , some semblance of organized well drilled fundamental football. But really it seems it's a case of playing the right people at the right time and the aforementioned playmakers. Kilbourne doesn't have those guys this year, their QB is now slinging it in a higher talent rent district over at Bradley and prospering and may be taking Bradley to it's first play-off win in school history ?

WELL too much momentum, just as much toughness and more athletic talent = a nice huge well deserved win for YOTW , This one will be standing room with all the blacksmith's Cobblers, candlestick makers , tanners and even the midwives will congregate to the gridiron and root on the young laddie's

YOTW 24 WK 16

Others

Gahanna 38 NA 10

Hartley 41 Chill Cloth 16

Marysville 24 Grove city 23
Old 09-15-17, 08:07 AM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
yes you have to respect that , wasn't expecting anything different, not sure he ahs people to do other things anyway, but the " We don't chuck it 30 times and spread it out" quote was silly, , like I said it isn't an either or situation , he will beat his head against the wall against good teams though with this offense THIS YEAR, Next year may be with the experience they get they improve running this , but it looks ugly so far this year .
You'll notice I didn't quote or say that I respect the dumb parts, but I understand his reasoning for the employment of hyperbole. Given that he is coaching in Ohio which is one of the many lands of stupid irrational fans screaming "Fire The Coach" after every loss at any level, a healthy dose of Get Forked is necessary to get the Concerned Citizens Counseling Coach to Championship Committee to just please 5TFU. You got get out ahead of that stuff. Eight years after his last state title, I'm sure that the whispering (and the in game catcall screaming) campaigns have been long underway. On the east side, we hear a lot of that home side "pass the ball" and "punt the ball" idiots hollering it in the middle of a championship season.

I like a coach who says that he's sticking with what he does. Even that bat5h1t crazy We Never Punt guy.
Old 09-15-17, 09:58 AM
All American

Davidson has a plan and formula it has been very successful so they stick with it , good luck to them vs Liberty should be a good ballgame
Old 09-15-17, 11:39 AM
All District

Tiger Alum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Davidson has a plan and formula it has been very successful so they stick with it , good luck to them vs Liberty should be a good ballgame
Davidson is having a 2014 year like I predicted.
I haven't missed a HD game since 2010 and this is what I'm seeing as the biggest problem areas so far this year.

1 - No feature back who can consistently break tackles and hit some longer runs for more than 4 or 5 yards.The OL is doing an adequate job IMO but there is no Royer,Clark,Delande etc. etc. this year to hit the longer runs.I think their best back Ben Wright did not even play last week and do not know the reason.Not that it would have mattered much against Bradley who is simply better.

2- Very little or no pass rush at all and average secondary(similar to last year). Teams like Bradley and Coffman should pick them apart. Losing Nonso hurt the DL and the secondary has not been the same since 2015. The defense is strong against the run as usual but not against a good spread offense.In years past they defended the spread well because they could pressure the QB and had a strong secondary. Against Bradley last week they had so much trouble with the spread passing that they switched to a 3 man DL and got gouged on the run.Pick your poison I guess.

3- The QB is not the run threat they have had in past years.

The only small bit of hope for this year is that they have their 2 toughest remaining games at home.I think they can hang with Liberty tonight defensively but obviously have to hold their point total very low to have a chance.The offense I cannot see doing much but they are defending their turf and are a desperate team.Maybe they get some turnovers with a short field ?

Lastly I'm hearing rumblings at Davidson about how some of this generation of kids whom I call the cel phone kids do not have the same mental toughness as the kids in years past to even want to commit to play for the program.Honestly I can see the talent level and participation has dropped in the last few years.It used to be Davidson simply reloaded every year.The depth of talent is not the same as in years past.No matter how good of a system you have,talent,depth and high participation is still needed to remain a great program.It seems like more kids would rather play Lacrosse nowadays.

Oh well. I will go to all the games hoping for the best and just enjoy the high school football experience. There is nothing like it IMO.
Old 09-15-17, 09:29 PM
All American

Wow that one got away in a New York minute . Ugly last quarter and a half to say the least . I am going to give a synopsis of the game and this is being done with no notes I don'[t take any at the game , just from memory but I remember very well , please feel free to correct me but this is my basic account.

TANGY came out with emotion and was winning the field position battle early and did for most of the night as well , and started their scoring drive at the Rocks 32, Miss Stoneburner flipping the field big time . Rocks came back and had a nice scoring drive with a big play to Grady being the key, 72 yard drive .

Rocks did well on defense got the ball back with decent field position and scored on a nice throw back screen scoring from about 25 yards out 14-7 Rocks.

Tangy was having trouble moving it at this point but took a deep shot and converted it flipping the field , it was good coverage Braves receiver made a nice play on the ball .

Rocks held well and Tangy kicked the field goal to close the half at 14-10 Rocks.

At this point Rocks didn't look great but seemed like they were in control somewhat when they started running the ball well to start the half as they received the Kick -off to start the second half . Cam Scott was within a shoelace of breaking one to score but kid made a diving ankle tackle and the Rocks were 1st and 10 into Tangy territory after moving the ball about 40 yards .

So this is where the game swung completely , Rocks kept trying to run it but Tangy buckled down and got Rocks into a third and long , Ernst went back to pass scrambled a bit ball came out Tangy kid scooped it up and scored . So Rocks were an diving ankle tackle from being up 21-10 , but it was 17-14 just a few plays later .

Rocks were starting to get beat up front on the offensive line , Tangy Defensive front flat beat them , not every series but overall . Rocks went nowhere and as was the case most of the night lost the field position battle again Tangy started on their 48 . Converted some key third downs including a 3rd and 11 to score to make it 24-14 .

At this point the Rocks had lost all momentum , defense played hard got the Braves into third downs but they converted them with well designed pass plays , Rocks were not solid in coverage many times , missed some tackles as well , sometimes 3-4 guys there whiffing .

So the two offensive TD'S were drives that started at the Rocks 32 and the Tangy 47, field goal was set up by a 40 yard pass . So defense wasn't bad but wasn't doing the job on third down a few times , offense was putting them in poor positions .

This is when the bottom fell out completely , there was some time left on the clock to attempt a comeback but the ensuing Kickoff was completely butchered by the Rocks . Kick hit at about the 6 or 7 yard line Rocks return guys thought it was a good idea to let it bounce like a punt to see if it would tumble into the end zone , IT DIDN'T , it settled at the one of course where the Rocks return guy with some room to pick it up and get back to at least the 15 or so ,FELL ON IT ON THE ONE . YIKES .

Wheels falling off completely the Rocks from the one tried to chuck it deep , well to the 25 where the Tangy D-B outwrestled the Rocks receiver for the ball , it was a close call but Tangy got it and scored going the 25 yards converting a 4th and 13 to get inside the 3 instead of trying the field goal , of course they scored a couple plays later and their beat-down revenge was finished , nothing else happened after that and full disclosure I left with about 5 minutes left .

Now that is an accurate BASIC account of the game , how it unfolded.

Now the fact of the matter is the Rocks had chances to take control of the game in the first half but They couldn't do it and Tangy was good enough not to let them .

Rocks were out -schemed when Tangy needed a third or 4th down conversion, Rocks with a completely new secondary finally got it handed to them on these key plays. The LB'S were making plays to get them in these situations but the pass defense was faulty and that includes the LB'S as well having guys left in the flat and not coverig tight enough in the middle of the field.

Tangy was better up front PERIOD , Rocks need Holcomb back at Tackle don't need him at H-Back , need to tweak the O-Line a little more after they move him back there{ They probably won't , that's just my take on the obvious} and when they get Drennan back they can get rid of the H-Back thing anyway , Drennan was still in a boot, so he isn't going against Gahanna either it seems" OUCH "

Not panicking , Rocks were a bit dinged on the D-Line as Sturdivant played defense and Cam Scott who did a good job considering played RB. Slade brothers and others were in the Rocks backfield way too often , Ernst competed and made some plays but was under duress far too often , ball got stripped which was unfortunate as Ersnt tried to make a play , I hindsight may be a punt back them up with a 14-10 lead mid way through the third would have been preferable . Can't fault the kid of course for trying to make a play .

Well deserved win for Tangy who dominated the action the last quarter and a half , and were the better football team on this night , Rocks have some work to do , Gahanna is better than Olentangy , so if the errors and weaknesses aren't corrected and strengthened , it will be another long night next week at Coffman stadium nice work by the Braves bouncing back getting revenge and kicking the Rocks azzz
Old 09-18-17, 03:36 PM
All American

So the dust has more than settled on that Friday night result and sometimes you need to take a step back and let some time go by to assess the game with less emotion . Of course I don't have any kids playing so that's easier for me, I do know that many parents have a tougher time with disappointing results as well as the players of course .

I sent out that quick re-cap of what I saw and facts off the top of my head I do that for some guys from the of site the Once a Rock always a Rock guys who live out of state but still follow the program. Pretty accurate after looking but the start of the third quarter didn't have the Rocks moving the ball first possession, both teams had one possession and punt before the Rocks moved it on the ground and then the scoop and score 50 yard Tangy Defensive score happened turning the tide and the complexion of the game .

The Rocks we knew going in were going to be tested , as in really tested here. Tangy had more guys back , guys who were not happy with last years result vs Coffman a 35-0 win that was box to wire . Solis did not have a good night coaching that night as well. He turned that around on Friday IN SPADES.

Went to a Gastro Pub , Brewzers I think it was called to get a bite before the game in Lewis Center , Dozens of Tangy fans were there with their garb on , a nice 'tailgate sitting outside and inside . Good fan support . Go to the venue and was very impressed with the venue and the crowd Tangy brought , Student section was HUGE , By 8 O'clock their stands were packed, Coffman turnout ? MEH , not horrible , better than some others I have seen so about average.

First half was about even , so the game was not a 4 quarter butt kicking whatsoever , Rocks were ahead 14-10 at the half, thought they were in decent shape , thought they would need another TD and may be a field goal { My pre-game prediction of 23-17 was feasible} to get the job done.

Well , that didn't happen as they were shut out in the second half , and gave up 21 points . Before anyone says the defense was overrated and stunk out the joint , hold on . Tangy scored 4 TD'S , the drives started at the Rocks 25, 32, the Tangy 47 and one was a defensive TD , The field goal was a nice drive starting at the 20 , with a 40 yard pass being the key play the only deep ball they completed . It wasn't bad coverage , rather a great throw to a good receiver that was dropped in the bucket .

So the defense was put into some tough spots . First TD was set up by a Rocks hold and then a sack , punting from the back of the end zone . Second half TD was set up by the Rocks making a big mistake n the kick-off panicking and covering the ball on the one yard line after the ball did not bound into the end zone as it appeared it might, he should have just caught the ball and returned it , and even when he let it bounce he had time to pick it up on the one and get at least 15-20 yards may be.

Next play a pick at the 25 and a scoring drive converting key 3rd and 4th downs . So not exactly getting gashed by long drives.

The 3-0 TO disadvantage and getting beat badly in the field position game along with the fumble returned for a TD did them in .

Now of course Olentangy dictated things to EARN the field position edge ,and got the turnovers by pressuring the QB and making good plays on the ball. They deserved these edges and earned them .

The other obvious edge was schematic , the Braves had answers in the second half for anything the Rocks threw at them . they blitzed they threw to where the guy came from, they sat in a zone ? they found the soft spot countless times when the game was still in the balance .

The scoop and score was the key play and changed the game BIG TIME , because at worst the Rocks punt and were just inside Tangy territory and probably pin them fairly deep , BUT the Rocks had more than enough time to change things and right the ship and were unable to do so mainly because Olentangy started really dominating up front on defense .

4th quarter , the Braves took advantage of every Rocks weakness and spots where they were inexperienced . They didn't turn it over, they didn't drop any balls, the QB was accurate, they had the right play call at the right time 90percent of the time , they were 0-5 on 4th downs last week this week they were really good and not because the Rocks defense is so inferior to R-Burg's , it isn't , but the Braves were that much better this week than last.

Rocks had all new starters on the O-Line , defensive backfield , and at Wide Out ,Top playmaker Drennan was the only returning starter and he hasn't played yet , Not sure when he will, got hurt in that last scrimmage.

Tangy smartly took advantage of some of these positions at different times , key times . First TD was a simple Tight end holding for two seconds like he was staying in to block slipped out and no one picked him up the guy who was supposed to drifted towards a receiver in the back middle of the end zone who was already covered .

Key third and longs and the one 4th and long to seal the deal with the last TD were on plays that the Braves simply found the open man in zone and the QB looked off the Safety and dunked it over the head of the blitzer, like I said they had an ANSWER for everything .

Slades were really good their defensive line was legit and the Rocks didn't adjust to the blitzed they employed every so often including a lot in the second including well timed run blitzes, the Rocks were not able to counter them with a different plan.

Some parents were grumbling about the Rocks lack of taking shots downfield , but the fact was they weren't holding off the Pass rush log enough to let the guys get downfield , this will improve , but on this night against this caliber of D-line the time wasn't there . The only negative about the Braves game was they had a few too many penalties,

They did some good things in the first half , good play calls , execution and the defense was good overall, but the errors and lack of making plays and getting out- schemed was the difference .

Rocks not good enough to play with poor field position like that , give up short fields and lose the T0 battle by 3 and have a chance to beat a good team , the Braves just beat them up-front on defense, ran the ball well enough when they had to , had a great game plan, didn't turn it over and caught everything, they had 287 yards of offense vs R-Burg and scored 7 points the week before, the difference was R-Burg played really well with no turnovers and the Braves had longer to go to score .

So where does the team go from here ? Shouldn't panic at all or overreact . The O-Line will improve with experience, they will look different 3-4 weeks from now, the 2013 O-Line is the best example, I really believe they have that potential to be a completely different unit from week 3-4 as they will be in week 8-10 .

Receivers need to work every day to improve and learn to get open. There is talent, but the lack of experience has been apparent at times , more shake, deception of course it all ties in to O-line paly and Running game. Cam Scott ran well , he was a whisker from breaking one and changing the game when it was 14-10 , Tangy bowed up and stiffened to their credit . O-line is more reps away from being a consistent run blocking unit , win or lose playing Gahanna this week after going against the Slades and the Braves front will make them better down the road .

Defensive backs are young , they have talent as well , , AJ Kirk is going to be a star , be a leader of the defense as early as next season in camp as a Soph , no question about it . He will work well with the talented Sophs who will see action this year at times and down the road and the two Juniors who play a lot now . Will be coached up and the game will slow a bit as they go along .

LB'S and Defensive line have more experience but their level will need to be raised as well , need to get some turnovers against good teams , be sound in coverage m they will recognize things a bit quicker as time goes on playing with a new Defensive backfield .

Ernst competed at QB , but with Drennan out he is missed in the slot , Brown I think can play some and may be Marcus go to the slot for short spells ? As I have said I like Holcomb at Tackle and if you do have him at H-Back play him some on defense , the coaches think otherwise obviously , they are there in practice each day may be Holcomb is just an H-Back and that's that , but they AREN'T throwing to him so ok I'll STOP and just SMH LOL . Offense needs more " Explosive " plays , getting Donut back will help no question, as he will make some and open some things up for others , he isn't back this week but will be soon .

Huge test this week , have to have best week of practice, correct some of the mental errors , be more precise in their scheme , and make adjustments with personnel .

There is a reason Olentangy has an 11 game home winning streak , they get a good loud crowd , great support , this is a week where the Rocks need a big turnout , really pack the home side . Rocks play with energy, emotion , and confidence in their ability and plan they have a chance against another team that has revenge on their mind . Be mentally and physically tough and prepare hard for them and by Friday just let it go.
Old 09-19-17, 05:35 PM
All American

Rematch and same basic dynamic this week as it was last week with Olentangy except for this week it's home. Also Gahanna game was more competitive than the Tangy- Rocks game last year .

Tangy had a more veteran team this year , and some areas where they had favorable match-ups and experience edges and took full advantage . Gahanna has some folks back but the way it looks and it speaks well of the ascending program who I thought was rising and ranked fairly high it has some first year starters really playing at a high level. , some of the east side posters kind of swayed my thinking a bit saying that Gahanna was not to be hyped.

Well they probably should have beaten Elder , had the game and let it slip away at the end , but the other games have been strictly Nolo Contendere . Expected the offense to be somewhat dynamic with Lowery back with experience , Miller who we saw last year and was a QB before but does a nice job at receiver . Harris is excellent Junior RB and Junior Bruckner is a dangerous wide out with a few offers under his belt.

A couple O-lineman came back as well . The defense is the surprise . Rocks hit them with some big plays last year , Drennan { Hurt} , and Casey Kirk{ Graduated preferred walk on at Cincinnati } made them however .

During the Pre-season , I really thought Ethan Brown would be the new QB 1 , and Drennan and Ernst would be the top slot/ Wide-outs . Well Drennan hasn't played yet and Ernst is at QB . So much for that and the experience in the receiving Corps.

Sr. Grady is back to football after a long hiatus , Sr. Bajec is a first time starter and Jr. Dluzynski is also playing varsity for the first time. A lot to ask these guys to produce right away , they have potential and will get better but a lot to ask .

No real TE threat besides a 6-3 250 pound blocking H-Back who used to play O-line that is. teams can stack the run and tee off on the pass , good teams that is so creativity and or personnel changes ? Or 14 a game and a few more losses ?

Will have to score more than 14 this week .
Old 09-19-17, 06:51 PM
All District

uncle_rico is an unknown quantity at this point
What's wrong with Drennen? Must be more than an ankle sprain. Wishing him a quick recovery. The kid's a game changer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-17, 05:58 AM
All American

4 - 6 Week injury is now at 5 weeks . Still had boot on recently , so I guess he]s not going this week either. So may be 6-7 weeks ? Yeah you could say they need him .

Last edited by Harrycrane; 09-20-17 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-20-17, 07:35 AM
All American

Computer ranking out , probably 2 more weeks before you start to really look hard at the possibilities . YOTW being this high is nice to see, it likely doesn't last unfortunately but I think the program is going to be OK after some real futility. Good talent and MS classes and a new coach and attitude = winning more games than not may be?

Lost a bunch of games last week on my opinions and YOTW was one of them , had them by about a TD and they certainly could have and may be should have won the ballgame . Couldn't make extra points was what got the game to OT in the first place and then they went for two fearing they would miss another one , missed that and suffered a brutal loss. Very emotional over there , can't imagine they have much left in the emotional tank for Bradley this week.

Could get ugly , I hope not , but real tough week for YOTW.

Also thought Scioto had enough athletes to beat Jerome , certainly could have an may be should have as well ? Hats off to Jerome who had a tough couple weeks going against good teams { PN and Orange } , but to lose on a hook and ladder that goes 80 yards late in the ballgame is brutal . Luckily Delaware is next , won't need much here to beat them.

Gahanna has a challenging 3 game stretch with Coffman PC and R-Burg, , could they be looking past Coffman with PC on deck? Unlikely because Rocks got their respect last year and beat them and controlled the game . Gahanna wants pay-back and the Rocks are going to have toughen up play with a chip and play better and scheme better than they did last week to have a chance .

Going to be really hot on Friday { And humid ??} last years game was very hot over in Gahanna , I believe if I remember right it was about 85 at kick-off which was 7.30, of course the Bullshe$t 7.00 pm kickoff this year it will be hotter than that most likely and may be the sun will be out? It will feel more like a pre-season scrimmage weather wise .

Rocks of course have looked at the tape and figured out some things I am sure, but when you lose the 4th quarter that badly , conditioning is one thing you need to make sure you look at. My observation wasn't that they were gassed , but just got beat on key third downs and 4th downs, out executed and outplayed in key areas, where Olentangy took advantage of favorable match-ups . But you need to look at it at least .

Mid season conditioning and lifting is an aspect that some programs don't take as seriously as they should , it is a different regimen than off season and pre-season but it can't be ignored, , if it is you PAY at some point. that bill can come due at a bad time .

Patriots coach Bill Belichick has players running a hill ever so often near their practice field, calls it " Putting it in the bank " in a conditioning sense meaning that you can take that out of the bank when you need it, like say , 4th quarter of the Super Bowl where they dominated ?

Davidson has a 9 year play-off streak on the line basically in every game until they lose , 7-3 is probably not getting them in in R-3 . Coffman has an 8 year streak but 7-3 likely gets then in in R-2.

Darby has an 80 percent chance of getting in at 7-3 which is more than doable , they can go 8-2 and it wouldn't surprise anyone really, that 9-6 Overtime thriller win vs Davidson was a de facto week two play-off game for them. Got the job done winning a game with 77 yards of offense after 48 minutes . What are the odds of that ?

R-Burg won 21-7 vs Central Crossing but dominated the game , wasn't that close, I think that tough loss to New Albany a team they are quite frankly better than woke them up as they have played much better football the next three weeks . I think they have some real talent on that team, beat Olentangy with a few deep balls that was a case of their athletes just making plays in tight coverage . Huge three week stretch with Road games at Westy C and Pick C and then Gahanna at home . Old Burg would play down a bit to Westy C and may be lose one they shouldn't , is the NEW Burg going to handle their business better?

Very disappointing year so far for UA , lost a 21-0 lead at Coffman in week 10 last year losing 27-21, and missed the play-off's . this year losing to Westy C after leading much of the game and getting blown out in the 4th , and then last weeks debacle not scoring any points against an Ibbies defense that had given up 24 a game coming in including 23 vs a lower scoring Darby team just the week before? YIKES . Their Davidson futility streak looks like it will continue unless some real change and improvement takes place right now I would take the Cats to shut them out as well 10-0 or 10-3 game?.
Old 09-20-17, 07:52 AM
All Ohio

OCC GUY is an unknown quantity at this point
Who are the key running backs this year in the OCC? Obviously Gill at Westerville South. Who else?
Old 09-20-17, 08:09 PM
Varsity

KramericaIndustries is on a distinguished road
Here is the video clips from the game last week, I see what you mean about that kickoff play on the 1, that was crazy! Surprised to see Tangy throwing the ball downfield with that much success and yes there were a lot of Slades in the backfield on those clips.

http://storiedrivals.com/sports/fbal...lentangy_Sep15
Old 09-20-17, 08:17 PM
All American

Mostly short passes , only one longer pass that dropped into the bucket hit 17 out 21 mostly short , the Kickoff gaffe sealed their fate, but the scoop and score turned the tide and Tangy got a ton of confidence after that and executed, these teams could play again in November , wouldn't bet against the Rocks in a re-match.
Old 09-21-17, 08:20 AM
All American

This year they are the clear favorite , Cal Preps doesn't seem to think so as they have it even , Louie P has it at Gahanna at a TD Plus fav{ 8} . That seems right to me right now. I think that as I do with Olentangy , Gahanna could be a potential play-off foe and I think the Rocks will be better later on because their units as a whole have less experience than Olentangy and Gahanna and the improvement percentage wise will be higher later on than those teams.

Scary weapons Miller is a legit go to guy at receiver, Buckner is a Sr. transfer receiver who is very dangerous, Harris is a class running back speed cutting ability and runs hard , Lowery is as good a QB as anyone in CO, and they have a huge TE who plays DL as well and is going to Kentucky and a third receiver who is also good, A cornerback who is a state level sprinter as well. Talent speed and are getting good coaching .

Rocks have to be fundamentally sound , change some things up to try to slow this offense down a bit , be smarter and be tougher up front than they were last week . the area Gahanna seems to have gotten better in is the Defensive line.

Win or lose the Rocks will be better for playing this caliber of team , 3-2 would bring a very small margin of error, but the competition will serve them well down the road and even next year with some of the younger guys.

this is the type of game that is a very good opportunity for some of the younger guys to play well against good players to show schools , kids need to know that this type of opportunity can help them in a few ways and won't necessarily hurt them . Should be excited for this one
Old 09-21-17, 03:09 PM
All American

Week 5

Already at The half way mark ? Incredible. A lot of parity, would have bene a great year for the old Bossman's pick em with no shortage of games that are in the pick em range . Some games have come down to the last play or series or at least the last half of the last quarter .

I have decided to not have a prediction in the Coffman -Gahanna game as speaking of W Boss he would often hold back a little when speaking of his Irish , I have spoken about the game already with Gahanna and have more thoughts that I will keep to myself as I have been told some coaches actually read this stuff . Don't want to say too much more , but suffice to say I think Gahanna is about a TD or so favorite and rightfully so based on the first four games and the level of talent they have over there . Big challenge , Rocks I hope are ready.

UA at Pick Central - May be PC isn't as flat out dominant as once thought ? that doesn't mean they wouldn't be the favorite in the old region 3 format or aren't the best team in CO. PN when firing on all cylinders to me is equal to them with Gahanna a step behind them. OO DC , Braves , R-Burg, Liberty , I think are a step behind those teams with a few behind them may be developing later Darby , Davidson , UA ,WC ?

Anyway the Tigers will be primed here to exact some revenge, and UA is struggling and has to go to the ditch . UA will have trouble scoring here , another shut out?? When was the last time UA was shut out two weeks in a row ? Moose are you out here? Miss the Moosedoza line and his thoughts . PC 31 UA 7

Davidson at Lancaster - Gaels have righted the ship playing lesser opponents , Goss is a Hoss , no doubt . The All American boy , part Jack Armstrong , part too good to be true . Davidson found another QB or just played the Junior last week and he did OK, ran for over 100 yards? WOW , well not so Wow , he needed 30 carries to do it . Davidson O-Line and others in the backfield a year away from their usual per carry out-put? YES , I think may be by the end of the year they get better probably but may be not till next year do they run smoothly and effectively against good teams .

Is Lancaster a good team? Not sure lean towards less than good this year , not bad but a 5 ? they have a nice personality ? OK enough of this, I like Davidson to get her done here in must win game . Davidson 17 Lancaster 9 .

Continued
Old 09-21-17, 05:00 PM
All World

Cthelites is on a distinguished road
Good stuff Stivie!
Ha the Moosedoza line lmfao!
I think it was 2 for 10 on the boss pickems! Moooooose! Where are you brah? And bossman too! Good memories!
Old 09-21-17, 05:56 PM
All American

Moose did bring up the rear on a consistent basis didn't he, it was Boss who came up with the Moosedoza line. you were really sharp on the picks Lights, didn't you win it a few years back ? I was always a contender never the champ though , good times . I try to keep up some of the tradition here with picks but not the same . Speaking of

Week 5 Continued

Pick North at Liberty - PN with the revenge motive , Liberty off of a physical battle as always against Davidson, win or lose against Davidson or Darby for that matter sore is the operative word, defending them is hard work , they hit hard on defense as well, even when successful as Liberty was it takes something out of you. they didn't score in the second half .

Liberty likely tries to pound their 225 pound back Webb and mix in some paly action, use Weisman as an all purpose weapon and take a shot or two with 6-5 Wr. Roderick . You want to shorten the game vs this club , Weirick is what I like to call a professional high school QB , tons of starts a lot of experience against good teams , this is old hat for him.

Often the difference in games like this is that really experienced QB. North also has some other studs though and I really think they will be too tough to handle here , Liberty will compete and is well coached but PN has too much this year . PN 31- Liberty 20

Darby at Jerome - Jerome is banged up it appears , may be healthier this week , it is that time of year when injuries can add up and you need to switch some personnel around which Jerome did well against Scioto. Both these coaches are excellent, different styles but similar values , really solid . For Jerome's sake, I hope coach G stays , he is young and ahs young kids seems to want to stay in the community .

Darby coach S has been here a while now and built it his way and it's a winning program, this one is a close call, Jerome with more Seniors last year played Darby who was banged up most of the year , won by 3 I think Darby is the choice here in a good ballgame . More experience , healthier and I think they can match up well athletically as opposed to Bradley and Olentangy may be .

Darby 17 Jerome 13

Ye Olde Tommy W at Hilliard Bradley - Lucky Louie Pasteur ahs this at a 25 point spread . Old Louie carves out a nice living being a numbers guy , as much as I love the YOTW 2017 story and I really like the people there, if Louie was my neighborhood bookie and took my action , I would lay this number and feel confident . YOTW has some athletes and is much improved, Bradley has more and is a somewhat ruthless team this year . No holding back it seems especially at home ? HB 42 YOTW 13

Continued
Old 09-22-17, 07:03 PM
All World

Cthelites is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Moose did bring up the rear on a consistent basis didn't he, it was Boss who came up with the Moosedoza line. you were really sharp on the picks Lights, didn't you win it a few years back ? I was always a contender never the champ though , good times . I try to keep up some of the tradition here with picks but not the same . Speaking of

Week 5 Continued

Pick North at Liberty - PN with the revenge motive , Liberty off of a physical battle as always against Davidson, win or lose against Davidson or Darby for that matter sore is the operative word, defending them is hard work , they hit hard on defense as well, even when successful as Liberty was it takes something out of you. they didn't score in the second half .

Liberty likely tries to pound their 225 pound back Webb and mix in some paly action, use Weisman as an all purpose weapon and take a shot or two with 6-5 Wr. Roderick . You want to shorten the game vs this club , Weirick is what I like to call a professional high school QB , tons of starts a lot of experience against good teams , this is old hat for him.

Often the difference in games like this is that really experienced QB. North also has some other studs though and I really think they will be too tough to handle here , Liberty will compete and is well coached but PN has too much this year . PN 31- Liberty 20

Darby at Jerome - Jerome is banged up it appears , may be healthier this week , it is that time of year when injuries can add up and you need to switch some personnel around which Jerome did well against Scioto. Both these coaches are excellent, different styles but similar values , really solid . For Jerome's sake, I hope coach G stays , he is young and ahs young kids seems to want to stay in the community .

Darby coach S has been here a while now and built it his way and it's a winning program, this one is a close call, Jerome with more Seniors last year played Darby who was banged up most of the year , won by 3 I think Darby is the choice here in a good ballgame . More experience , healthier and I think they can match up well athletically as opposed to Bradley and Olentangy may be .

Darby 17 Jerome 13

Ye Olde Tommy W at Hilliard Bradley - Lucky Louie Pasteur ahs this at a 25 point spread . Old Louie carves out a nice living being a numbers guy , as much as I love the YOTW 2017 story and I really like the people there, if Louie was my neighborhood bookie and took my action , I would lay this number and feel confident . YOTW has some athletes and is much improved, Bradley has more and is a somewhat ruthless team this year . No holding back it seems especially at home ? HB 42 YOTW 13

Continued
Yeah I loved the boss pickems. Did win it all once. Had the the lead another yr til the last week. Usually was up there.
That was before work cut into things and more so when my kids and a lot of kids that I knew from coaching youth sports for over ten yrs and three sports were involved. And not just Darby/Hilliard kids. Got to meet and befriend so many great people over the yrs! Just don't have the time unfortunately. We been slower this yr so I've had more time to look and post and get into it with newbie comedians on here that have a good team for once and now are world beaters lol.
I love HS football. Bummed I couldn't make it out tonight! I HATE this 7 pm kick.
Keep up w the good info and entertainment stiv!
Old 09-23-17, 06:57 AM
All American

Thanks lights . Well as I said win or lose the kids would be better for the experience and as tough a loss as it was the kids will be better for it going forward . Small margin for error now but truth be told looking at all the results of all Central teams now that league play is starting , Coffman is clearly better than their league foes.

They probably need to win out to sssure playoffs in R-2 where they can play with anyone in that region but there is absolutely no reason they shouldn't win out . They will not face anyone close to the caliber of Gahanna the rest of the regular season , .

Marysville played well last night vs. Olentangy so had s let down off of Coffman win and they played Liberty well , but if you want to use comparative scores to surmise M- ville Coffman us a pick em go ahead . Rocks need to stay focused if they do they handle M Ville and CC comfortably and head to Davidson who will make that game their Super Bowl .

Rocks ran the ball fiwn their throats in the second half. Took the lead after looking like they may get run out if the building a couple times , showed heart and resilience and persistence .
Transfer Buckner was crucial if he's still at Academy the Lions don't win PERIOD. Rocks scored over 30 without their top playmaker and some say the top overall recruit in Ohio"s Soph class Mike Drennan . He's getting closer to being back and when he is watch out , Cam Scott is emerging as a star and with Gavin as well and the other receivers getting better the offense will be better in a few weeks . Young secondary took some lumps last night but will be better for it . Tough loss but team grew up some showed people a lot despite the loss , stay focused keep improving and kick some Azzz in league play. Take some frustration out .

No reason you dont take care of business each week and go 8-2 and I wouldn't bet against them against either team that has beaten them the last two weeks if they were to play again in the playoffs
Old 09-23-17, 09:00 AM
All American

Hats off to Jerome for taking care of business in impressive fashion as the Hilliards sans Bradley continue to really struggle offensively . Also thought Pick North was a clear winner over Liberty but the magnitude of the beat down was startling 3 tds not surprising but " gulp" a SIX TD margin ?

North because their defense has improved in the top team right now in CO and I believe they are the favorite overvWayne in R-3 . PC is also right there. Sorry but on. Neutral in the playoffs I don't believe Centetville could beat PN or PC and we will see them vs Wayne later.

Coffman obviously didn't play perfect last night. There were errors and silly ok stupid penalties , some poor blocking in the first half missed assignments , poor angles taken at times , missed receivers , the usual litany of mistakes most football teams make during a game especially going against a quality opponent like Gahanna .

The coaches probably wish they could have some decisions back a call here or there as well. BUT what you need to take away from this game is the plays you did make , the way you ran the ball with authority , the toughness both mentally and physically you showed coming back . A lot of positives here to build on , you won't see a more talented team in R-2 than this club and you went toe to toe with them and could have ron. We're up in thev4th quarter. To Gahanna "s credit they made a couple plays at the end that won it. The obvious TD pass and a big sack when Coffman got the ball back .

Showed the fans a lot last night guys. Get after it this week and take care of business against M- villa. Great effort last night fellas keep your heads up

Last edited by Harrycrane; 09-23-17 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Poor spelling but