Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-08-18, 11:27 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,278
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
2018 Division I Football Poll Voting Discussion (Week 3)

The voting will take place until Monday, September 10th, 2018. The poll for each division will be released that afternoon.

Use this thread to discuss your top ten voting for D1:

Vote Now - DI
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 09-09-18, 07:19 AM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 5,424
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
1. Pickerington Central
2. Colerain
3. Mentor
4. St. Xavier
5. St. Edís
6. Elder
7. Pickerington North
8. St. Ignatius
9. Hilliard Davidson
10. Moeller
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-09-18, 09:08 AM
EagleFan's Avatar
EagleFan EagleFan is offline
Scatologist
 
Join Date: 03-04-02
Location: Ohio
Posts: 21,593
EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
1 Cincinnati Colerain
2 Pickerington Central
3 Cincinnati St. Xavier
4 Mentor
5 Cincinnati Elder
6 Lakewood St. Edward
7 Pickerington North
8 Hilliard Davidson
9 Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller
10 Canton McKinley
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-09-18, 10:42 AM
EaglePride01 EaglePride01 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-04-05
Posts: 6,082
EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
1. Colerain
2. Pick Central
3. Mentor
4. St. Xavier
5. Elder
6. St. Edward
7. Pick North
8. Hilliard Davidson
9. St. Ignatius
10. Dublin Coffman

Others: Euclid, Moeller, Springfield, Wayne, Solon
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-09-18, 11:56 AM
simkon simkon is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-27-11
Posts: 1,323
simkon is on a distinguished road
1. Mentor
2. Colerain
3. Central
4. Elder
5. St. Xavier
6. North
7. St. Edward
8. Coffman
9. Davidson
10. St. Ignatius
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-09-18, 08:12 PM
FHSBirds99 FHSBirds99 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-18-08
Location: Kettering
Posts: 3,517
FHSBirds99 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think Springfield needs to be in the top 10

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-10-18, 12:53 AM
CardinalsFan's Avatar
CardinalsFan CardinalsFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-15-01
Location: 8801 Cheviot Road
Posts: 10,556
CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
  1. Mentor
  2. Pickerington Central
  3. Colerain
  4. St. Xavier
  5. Pickerington North
  6. Elder
  7. St. Edward
  8. Solon
  9. Springfield
  10. Fairfield

I do think the there is a fairly significant drop after the top 4.

-CardinalsFan
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-10-18, 01:04 PM
DonMagicRon DonMagicRon is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-30-10
Location: God's Country
Posts: 8,824
DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FHSBirds99 View Post
I think Springfield needs to be in the top 10

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I agree. What about Solon, Miamisburg and Northmont?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-10-18, 01:20 PM
brian1227's Avatar
brian1227 brian1227 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-22-06
Posts: 16,910
brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Sprimgfield in top 10 no way.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-10-18, 02:03 PM
FHSBirds99 FHSBirds99 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-18-08
Location: Kettering
Posts: 3,517
FHSBirds99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Sprimgfield in top 10 no way.
Thank you oh wise one

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-10-18, 02:20 PM
CardinalsFan's Avatar
CardinalsFan CardinalsFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-15-01
Location: 8801 Cheviot Road
Posts: 10,556
CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
AP just released their first poll of the year.

Shocked....that is all I can say Offered below, without comment:

DIVISION I

1, Cincinnati Colerain (8)

2, Mentor (6)

3, Pickerington Central (5)

4, Cincinnati Elder

5, Hilliard Davidson

6, Pickerington North

7, Reynoldsburg

8, Austintown-Fitch

9, Westerville Central

10, Canton McKinley

Others receiving 12 or more points: 11, Dublin Coffman 33. 12, Solon 30. 12, Cincinnati St. Xavier 30. 14, Clayton Northmont 22. 15, Springfield 15. 16, Lakewood St. Edward 12.

-CardinalsFan
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-10-18, 02:27 PM
2020Dad 2020Dad is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 12-07-16
Posts: 190
2020Dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
AP just released their first poll of the year.

Shocked....that is all I can say Offered below, without comment:

DIVISION I

1, Cincinnati Colerain (8)

2, Mentor (6)

3, Pickerington Central (5)

4, Cincinnati Elder

5, Hilliard Davidson

6, Pickerington North

7, Reynoldsburg

8, Austintown-Fitch

9, Westerville Central

10, Canton McKinley

Others receiving 12 or more points: 11, Dublin Coffman 33. 12, Solon 30. 12, Cincinnati St. Xavier 30. 14, Clayton Northmont 22. 15, Springfield 15. 16, Lakewood St. Edward 12.

-CardinalsFan

The bottom of this poll is laughable, I have no problems with 1-4 not necessarily in that order though
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-10-18, 02:32 PM
CardinalsFan's Avatar
CardinalsFan CardinalsFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-15-01
Location: 8801 Cheviot Road
Posts: 10,556
CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020Dad View Post
The bottom of this poll is laughable, I have no problems with 1-4 not necessarily in that order though
By "bottom", I assume you mean 7-10?

-CardinalsFan
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-10-18, 02:37 PM
2020Dad 2020Dad is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 12-07-16
Posts: 190
2020Dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
By "bottom", I assume you mean 7-10?

-CardinalsFan
yep number 5, and 7-10 are suspect, number 6 plays number 9 this friday so that will sort some of that out. X not in top 10 at all. hmmm

Last edited by 2020Dad; 09-10-18 at 03:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-10-18, 02:49 PM
Harrycrane Harrycrane is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-27-16
Posts: 4,120
Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Westerville Central ? Who have they beaten? I know for a fact they aren't better than Coffman . Davidson is much too high not close to a top 5 team . ST X to name one would handle both of them handily .
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-10-18, 03:00 PM
queencitybuckeye queencitybuckeye is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-12-09
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,596
queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
Westerville Central ? Who have they beaten? I know for a fact they aren't better than Coffman . Davidson is much too high not close to a top 5 team . ST X to name one would handle both of them handily .
The Reynoldsburg Fighting Tomatos aren't in the top 7 on the 270 Outbelt, much less the state of Ohio.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-10-18, 03:10 PM
Harrycrane Harrycrane is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-27-16
Posts: 4,120
Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Usually that is right QCB but this year they are pretty good and R-burg is top 7 in CO . But top 7 in the state? Haven't earned that certainly. I AGREE.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-10-18, 03:40 PM
CardinalsFan's Avatar
CardinalsFan CardinalsFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-15-01
Location: 8801 Cheviot Road
Posts: 10,556
CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
It seems to me that the best way to look at D1 is probably Tier based. It's too early to say definitively where everyone ranks. I mean, you could make an argument St. Xavier is better than Colerain, despite the most recent outcome. Lord knows most of the St. X faithful are pretty confident they'll beat us by 3 TD's when we meet again...and maybe they will!

In my estimation, it probably falls something like this....

Tier 1 - these are teams that are the only real legitimate State Championship contenders (in no particular order): Mentor, Pickerington Central, Colerain, St. Xavier

Tier 2 - these are teams that are legitimate Regional contenders but might not be considered the favorite if they made their way to Canton (in no particular order): Pickerington North, St. Edward, St. Ignatius, Elder, Hilliard Davidson

Tier 3 - these are teams that are all playoff bound and could be considered "dark horses". If they get hot in October, a regional final appearance is certainly possible (in no particular order): Dublin Coffman, Solon, Northmont, Moeller, Wayne, Euclid

Tier 4 - these are teams that are legitimate playoff teams but more than likely don't have more than a win in them post week 10, if that (in no particular order): Whitmer, Reynoldsburg, McKinley, Sycamore, Springfield, Austintown-Fitch, Hilliard Bradley, Mason, Hilliard Darby, Miamisburg, Westerville Central, Fairfield, Strongsville, Gahanna Lincoln, Fairmont, Princeton and Massilon Jackson

I limited my tiers to 32 teams, as that is the number that will make the post-season. Obviously, there is some flux in there, certainly within the tiers, but maybe even from one tier to the next.

Anyway....my $0.02.

-CardinalsFan
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-10-18, 03:47 PM
queencitybuckeye queencitybuckeye is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-12-09
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,596
queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Like the analysis. IMO, Davidson needs to beat someone good to get back to your Tier 2 where they resided until the last couple of years. Would move Wayne up one.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-10-18, 04:04 PM
gocards's Avatar
gocards gocards is offline
This is the year
 
Join Date: 08-31-03
Location: Support the NW Schools
Posts: 15,788
gocards is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
AP just released their first poll of the year.

Shocked....that is all I can say Offered below, without comment:

DIVISION I

1, Cincinnati Colerain (8)

2, Mentor (6)

3, Pickerington Central (5)

4, Cincinnati Elder

5, Hilliard Davidson

6, Pickerington North

7, Reynoldsburg

8, Austintown-Fitch

9, Westerville Central

10, Canton McKinley

Others receiving 12 or more points: 11, Dublin Coffman 33. 12, Solon 30. 12, Cincinnati St. Xavier 30. 14, Clayton Northmont 22. 15, Springfield 15. 16, Lakewood St. Edward 12.

-CardinalsFan

Shows a complete lack of knowledge by the AP voters.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-10-18, 04:10 PM
CardinalsFan's Avatar
CardinalsFan CardinalsFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-15-01
Location: 8801 Cheviot Road
Posts: 10,556
CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
Like the analysis. IMO, Davidson needs to beat someone good to get back to your Tier 2 where they resided until the last couple of years. Would move Wayne up one.
That's absolutely fair and a good point. I struggled with those two but I tend to value defense a bit more than offense and I know HD has a really good defense this year and it seems the luster has wore off Wayne just a bit.

Thanks for the feedback.

-CardinalsFan
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-10-18, 04:36 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 36,462
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
I have not had Wayne in the top 10 all year but most of you have....

I ask, Are you still going to keep Wayne in the top 10 or are you going to drop them out based on a loss to a nationally ranked team. A game that could of gone either way?

While we really don't get a feel of Wayne based on there 2 wins but they are putting up nearly 40 points a game in the first half including 28 on Hoban.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-10-18, 04:38 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 36,462
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Pickerington North looked solid thanks to Wayne transfer Scott who had 4 TD's.....

Also was impressed with Coffman.

Euclid did not look good at all....
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-10-18, 05:06 PM
Elder4Life Elder4Life is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-15-15
Location: The Westside
Posts: 273
Elder4Life is on a distinguished road
The AP poll is a joke pretty much every week and has been ever since they were crowing Massillon state champs.

The voters simply go down the list and choose the teams with the best records, hardly taking into account who they've played.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-10-18, 06:13 PM
gocards's Avatar
gocards gocards is offline
This is the year
 
Join Date: 08-31-03
Location: Support the NW Schools
Posts: 15,788
gocards is on a distinguished road
Polls are good conservation pieces. Fortunately for Ohio it's settled on the field at the end of the year. If not we would still crowning Massilon state champs every year.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-10-18, 07:10 PM
Harrycrane Harrycrane is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-27-16
Posts: 4,120
Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
AP Poll is often the least accurate . As a known Coffman supporter there have been years they have been overrated and some years underrated .


The most accurate polls I believe are the ones that are done by the local regional followers . In Central Ohio it is PC , PN , then Coffman as the top 3 .


That is pretty accurate IMO . Yes Coffman handled Dublin Jerome much easier than Pick North did , but the comparative score thing is not always or even usually accurate . Coffman will still be an underdog when they go to Pick North in two weeks and rightfully so because North has a boatload of talent on offense especially and did a great job last year getting to the regional final where Coffman choked away a first round game they led and controlled the whole way .


I will be opining about this on the Coffman thread , until Coffman plays them really well , the Better effort vs Jerome than Pick North had , means ZILCH .
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-10-18, 07:28 PM
FHSBirds99 FHSBirds99 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-18-08
Location: Kettering
Posts: 3,517
FHSBirds99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Sprimgfield in top 10 no way.
Too bad NorSLOWnia isnt DI

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-11-18, 10:47 AM
BoltsFan06 BoltsFan06 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-03-08
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 451
BoltsFan06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
It seems to me that the best way to look at D1 is probably Tier based. It's too early to say definitively where everyone ranks. I mean, you could make an argument St. Xavier is better than Colerain, despite the most recent outcome. Lord knows most of the St. X faithful are pretty confident they'll beat us by 3 TD's when we meet again...and maybe they will!

In my estimation, it probably falls something like this....

Tier 1 - these are teams that are the only real legitimate State Championship contenders (in no particular order): Mentor, Pickerington Central, Colerain, St. Xavier

Tier 2 - these are teams that are legitimate Regional contenders but might not be considered the favorite if they made their way to Canton (in no particular order): Pickerington North, St. Edward, St. Ignatius, Elder, Hilliard Davidson

Tier 3 - these are teams that are all playoff bound and could be considered "dark horses". If they get hot in October, a regional final appearance is certainly possible (in no particular order): Dublin Coffman, Solon, Northmont, Moeller, Wayne, Euclid

Tier 4 - these are teams that are legitimate playoff teams but more than likely don't have more than a win in them post week 10, if that (in no particular order): Whitmer, Reynoldsburg, McKinley, Sycamore, Springfield, Austintown-Fitch, Hilliard Bradley, Mason, Hilliard Darby, Miamisburg, Westerville Central, Fairfield, Strongsville, Gahanna Lincoln, Fairmont, Princeton and Massilon Jackson

I limited my tiers to 32 teams, as that is the number that will make the post-season. Obviously, there is some flux in there, certainly within the tiers, but maybe even from one tier to the next.

Anyway....my $0.02.

-CardinalsFan
I agree with everything here. I am excited to get into the GWOC schedule and see how Northmaont plays against Wayne, Springfield, Centerville, and Miamisburg. Should easily settle out who is deserving from Dayton anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-11-18, 11:20 AM
northmontthunder northmontthunder is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 03-27-09
Posts: 129
northmontthunder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltsFan06 View Post
I agree with everything here. I am excited to get into the GWOC schedule and see how Northmaont plays against Wayne, Springfield, Centerville, and Miamisburg. Should easily settle out who is deserving from Dayton anyway.
I can't wait for the week 4 match up of Northmont and Wayne. We will know where Northmont is in Ohio's pecking order. I am glad it is settled on the field. I believe Springfield deserves a top 10 ranking right now with the tough schedule they have played so far. I believe Springfield is right there with Wayne and Northmont. We will have a firm feeling about Miamisburg this week when they play Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-11-18, 01:21 PM
Walt Walt is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 04-27-11
Posts: 364
Walt is on a distinguished road
I’m a central Ohio football fan and I can tell you there is no way more than 2 or 3 Central
Ohio teams belong in the top 10. The AP poll is a joke. They go off of records alone without taking schedule into account.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Division I Poll Voting Discussion (Week 7) Yappi Football 14 10-09-17 07:08 AM
Division III Poll Voting Discussion (Week 7) Yappi Football 6 10-09-17 06:04 AM
Division IV Poll Voting Discussion (Week 7) Yappi Football 3 10-08-17 08:55 PM
Division II Poll Voting Discussion (Week 7) Yappi Football 4 10-08-17 08:51 PM
2017 Football Poll Voting (Week 5 Voting Open) Yappi Football 0 09-24-17 12:31 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz