Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-30-17, 07:24 PM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
Ethan Wright is the PAC-7 POY. Congrats!
Old 10-30-17, 07:53 PM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblingfool View Post
I couldnít agree more! I still feel their lack of special teams play is ultimately going to doom them! That is what got them in the first South Range meeting. CVCA was way better than I expected them to be! Good luck to the panthers in a long playoff run!
Wait until next year, still a lot of talent left coming back. Hopefully next fall week 10 can be special again.
Old 10-31-17, 10:07 AM
Varsity

tantal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePITman View Post
Ethan Wright is the PAC-7 POY. Congrats!
Where did you see that at?
Old 10-31-17, 10:45 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantal View Post
Where did you see that at?
I'll be posting the All-PAC 1st Team and Honorable Mention to the PAC-7 web site as soon as I have time.

http://www.pac7sports.org/honors.php
Old 10-31-17, 11:05 AM
All Ohio

gamblingfool is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lincoln View Post
I believe they are referencing the lack of a kicking game, specifically extra points. Need a consistent kicker in the play-offs to go far, especially if they play South Range next round. Going for 2 is fun and is great when working but good teams can defend that.

Also, the Panthers cannot keep letting teams start on the 40 because they can't seem to kick much further than that, kick out of bounds, or allow a return to at least that. CVCA seemed to start at their own 40-45 yard line most possessions.
Correct!
Old 11-01-17, 12:16 PM
All Yappi

PAC-7 1st Team and Honorable Mention: http://www.pac7sports.org/honors.php
Old 11-02-17, 07:36 AM
Varsity

Youngguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePITman View Post
PAC-7 1st Team and Honorable Mention: http://www.pac7sports.org/honors.php
So, what are the parameters and process for picking these players?
Old 11-02-17, 08:18 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngguy View Post
So, what are the parameters and process for picking these players?
For football, it appears that 1st place (Manchester) was allotted 6, 2nd place (Fairless) was allotted 5, 3rd place (CVCA) was allotted 4, 4th place (Triway, Orrville, Northwest) were allotted 3 each, 7th (Tuslaw) and 8th (Loudonville) were allotted 1 each. I am not sure if coaches voted on other teams' players for football or if coaches nominated/appointed their own players; every league is different, and even by sport.
Old 11-02-17, 08:49 AM
Varsity

Yes, that is very similar to what I am used to seeing. Basically, each team decides which and how many of their own players make it, depending on their finish in the league/conference.
Old 11-02-17, 11:19 AM
All Region

bluepride1990 is on a distinguished road
What a joke of a system for selecting an all conference team. How do you have 6 QBs running behind 2 linemen. It should be best at each position with 11 offense, 11 defense and kickers.

Been this way in the PAC for 28-years and still sucks.
Old 11-02-17, 11:47 AM
All Ohio

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
yeah it is because the coaches don't want to have the 3-4 hour deliberation meeting and vote - some coaches are still coaching

so leagues everywhere started adopting this policy - its not exclusive to the PAC
Old 11-02-17, 11:50 AM
Varsity

And self-serving.
Old 11-02-17, 11:52 AM
Varsity

Personally, I don't think it's a true representation of the best players in the league. But, that's the way they do it.
Old 11-02-17, 12:41 PM
All American

Quote:
Personally, I don't think it's a true representation of the best players in the league. But, that's the way they do it.
I disagree, I saw every team this year and these kids are the names I heard mentioned over and over again. There are a number of kid that I would have liked to see mentioned but the formula they use doesn't allow for it. Manchester as the league champ can have 6 players. The 6 mentioned are the kids I heard the PA announcer mentioning the most. I can think of one exception for them and that is #5, but, which of the other kids would you take off? Another example would be to ask Orville if #15 for CVCA is all league or honorable mention. There are only so many spots. Here is the thing, the teams nominate their own players. So if a kid you thought should have been mentioned and was not his coaches know better then any of us.
Old 11-02-17, 01:28 PM
All American

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the123kidz View Post
I disagree, I saw every team this year and these kids are the names I heard mentioned over and over again. There are a number of kid that I would have liked to see mentioned but the formula they use doesn't allow for it. Manchester as the league champ can have 6 players. The 6 mentioned are the kids I heard the PA announcer mentioning the most. I can think of one exception for them and that is #5, but, which of the other kids would you take off? Another example would be to ask Orville if #15 for CVCA is all league or honorable mention. There are only so many spots. Here is the thing, the teams nominate their own players. So if a kid you thought should have been mentioned and was not his coaches know better then any of us.
Yes. PA announcements are crucial in deciding if a player is worthy of league honors.

It's this way for a lot of leagues and it's been that way. It's not the best form of doing it, but it is the easiest.
Old 11-02-17, 01:30 PM
Varsity

I agree 100% that #5, Johnson, should have made the team. He was their best DB and one of the best in the PAC. I have doubts about #25 Knight and #52 Beans. They were very inconsistent. #3, Shuler yes on offense, but weak on defense.
Old 11-02-17, 02:25 PM
All Region

bluepride1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the123kidz View Post
But those mentioned on the PA are not what makes a football team. We all know the O-Line should never be mentioned on the PA system.

It should be by position consisting of 5 linemen, a QB, 2-3RB, 2-3 WR/TE on offense, with a similar breakdown on defense. Maybe its 12 or 13 for O and D to allow for different styles.

This All-PAC team could not play a game.

Yes if you did it by position a teams MVP may not make it based on his competition (may be on 2nd team, or HM) but the fact you have a bunch of QBs and only two O-linemen tells you it is not a team but an all-star list.
Old 11-02-17, 03:33 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepride1990 View Post
But those mentioned on the PA are not what makes a football team. We all know the O-Line should never be mentioned on the PA system.

It should be by position consisting of 5 linemen, a QB, 2-3RB, 2-3 WR/TE on offense, with a similar breakdown on defense. Maybe its 12 or 13 for O and D to allow for different styles.

Yes if you did it by position a teams MVP may not make it based on his competition (may be on 2nd team, or HM) but the fact you have a bunch of QBs and only two O-linemen tells you it is not a team but an all-star list.
I agree with you 100% on this. I would prefer it be the old way. It is just not the reality of how anyone picks these teams anymore. When guys like you or I played it was the way you mentioned.
Old 11-02-17, 05:02 PM
All Ohio

ECOLace is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepride1990 View Post

Traditionally teams are allotted a certain amount of slots based on where they finished in the league and their own coaches choose. No league that Iím aware of does it by position in Ohio.
Old 11-02-17, 05:47 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECOLace View Post
Traditionally teams are allotted a certain amount of slots based on where they finished in the league and their own coaches choose. No league that Iím aware of does it by position in Ohio.
You are correct. It is the coaches' call on his players, regardless whether they deserve it or not. However, when many opposing coaches laud some of your players without being asked and you don't put them on the team, there's a problem.
Old 11-02-17, 06:25 PM
Varsity

Quote:
You are correct. It is the coaches' call on his players, regardless whether they deserve it or not. However, when many opposing coaches laud some of your players without being asked and you don't put them on the team, there's a problem.
To wrap this up, how can you leave your leading tackler off and a DB who opposing coaches said was the best they had seen this season?
Old 11-04-17, 10:46 AM
Varsity

sheldoncooper is on a distinguished road
Its easy ... other kids were more deserving ... there are a limited number of players from each school that can make first team .... and quite a few players play on both sides of the ball