Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #391  
Old 10-30-17, 07:24 PM
thePITman thePITman is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-06
Location: Wayne County, Ohio
Posts: 9,284
thePITman is on a distinguished road
Ethan Wright is the PAC-7 POY. Congrats!
Reply With Quote
  #392  
Old 10-30-17, 07:53 PM
the123kidz the123kidz is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-21-10
Posts: 1,109
the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblingfool View Post
I couldnít agree more! I still feel their lack of special teams play is ultimately going to doom them! That is what got them in the first South Range meeting. CVCA was way better than I expected them to be! Good luck to the panthers in a long playoff run!
Wait until next year, still a lot of talent left coming back. Hopefully next fall week 10 can be special again.
Reply With Quote
  #393  
Old 10-31-17, 10:07 AM
tantal tantal is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 01-01-15
Posts: 79
tantal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePITman View Post
Ethan Wright is the PAC-7 POY. Congrats!
Where did you see that at?
Reply With Quote
  #394  
Old 10-31-17, 10:45 AM
thePITman thePITman is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-06
Location: Wayne County, Ohio
Posts: 9,284
thePITman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantal View Post
Where did you see that at?
I'll be posting the All-PAC 1st Team and Honorable Mention to the PAC-7 web site as soon as I have time.

http://www.pac7sports.org/honors.php
Reply With Quote
  #395  
Old 10-31-17, 11:05 AM
gamblingfool gamblingfool is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 05-08-03
Location: Las Vegas, Neveda
Posts: 776
gamblingfool is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lincoln View Post
I believe they are referencing the lack of a kicking game, specifically extra points. Need a consistent kicker in the play-offs to go far, especially if they play South Range next round. Going for 2 is fun and is great when working but good teams can defend that.

Also, the Panthers cannot keep letting teams start on the 40 because they can't seem to kick much further than that, kick out of bounds, or allow a return to at least that. CVCA seemed to start at their own 40-45 yard line most possessions.
Correct!
Reply With Quote
  #396  
Old 11-01-17, 12:16 PM
thePITman thePITman is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-06
Location: Wayne County, Ohio
Posts: 9,284
thePITman is on a distinguished road
PAC-7 1st Team and Honorable Mention: http://www.pac7sports.org/honors.php
Reply With Quote
  #397  
Old 11-02-17, 07:36 AM
Youngguy Youngguy is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-28-17
Posts: 59
Youngguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePITman View Post
PAC-7 1st Team and Honorable Mention: http://www.pac7sports.org/honors.php
So, what are the parameters and process for picking these players?
Reply With Quote
  #398  
Old 11-02-17, 08:18 AM
thePITman thePITman is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-06
Location: Wayne County, Ohio
Posts: 9,284
thePITman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngguy View Post
So, what are the parameters and process for picking these players?
For football, it appears that 1st place (Manchester) was allotted 6, 2nd place (Fairless) was allotted 5, 3rd place (CVCA) was allotted 4, 4th place (Triway, Orrville, Northwest) were allotted 3 each, 7th (Tuslaw) and 8th (Loudonville) were allotted 1 each. I am not sure if coaches voted on other teams' players for football or if coaches nominated/appointed their own players; every league is different, and even by sport.
Reply With Quote
  #399  
Old 11-02-17, 08:49 AM
Youngguy Youngguy is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-28-17
Posts: 59
Youngguy is on a distinguished road
Yes, that is very similar to what I am used to seeing. Basically, each team decides which and how many of their own players make it, depending on their finish in the league/conference.
Reply With Quote
  #400  
Old 11-02-17, 11:19 AM
bluepride1990 bluepride1990 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 05-29-14
Posts: 408
bluepride1990 is on a distinguished road
What a joke of a system for selecting an all conference team. How do you have 6 QBs running behind 2 linemen. It should be best at each position with 11 offense, 11 defense and kickers.

Been this way in the PAC for 28-years and still sucks.
Reply With Quote
  #401  
Old 11-02-17, 11:47 AM
Football 101 Football 101 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-20-10
Posts: 833
Football 101 is on a distinguished road
yeah it is because the coaches don't want to have the 3-4 hour deliberation meeting and vote - some coaches are still coaching

so leagues everywhere started adopting this policy - its not exclusive to the PAC
Reply With Quote
  #402  
Old 11-02-17, 11:50 AM
Youngguy Youngguy is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-28-17
Posts: 59
Youngguy is on a distinguished road
And self-serving.
Reply With Quote
  #403  
Old 11-02-17, 11:52 AM
Youngguy Youngguy is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-28-17
Posts: 59
Youngguy is on a distinguished road
Personally, I don't think it's a true representation of the best players in the league. But, that's the way they do it.
Reply With Quote
  #404  
Old 11-02-17, 12:41 PM
the123kidz the123kidz is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-21-10
Posts: 1,109
the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngguy View Post
Personally, I don't think it's a true representation of the best players in the league. But, that's the way they do it.
I disagree, I saw every team this year and these kids are the names I heard mentioned over and over again. There are a number of kid that I would have liked to see mentioned but the formula they use doesn't allow for it. Manchester as the league champ can have 6 players. The 6 mentioned are the kids I heard the PA announcer mentioning the most. I can think of one exception for them and that is #5, but, which of the other kids would you take off? Another example would be to ask Orville if #15 for CVCA is all league or honorable mention. There are only so many spots. Here is the thing, the teams nominate their own players. So if a kid you thought should have been mentioned and was not his coaches know better then any of us.
Reply With Quote
  #405  
Old 11-02-17, 01:28 PM
eyes r burning eyes r burning is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-08-12
Posts: 1,062
eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the123kidz View Post
I disagree, I saw every team this year and these kids are the names I heard mentioned over and over again. There are a number of kid that I would have liked to see mentioned but the formula they use doesn't allow for it. Manchester as the league champ can have 6 players. The 6 mentioned are the kids I heard the PA announcer mentioning the most. I can think of one exception for them and that is #5, but, which of the other kids would you take off? Another example would be to ask Orville if #15 for CVCA is all league or honorable mention. There are only so many spots. Here is the thing, the teams nominate their own players. So if a kid you thought should have been mentioned and was not his coaches know better then any of us.
Yes. PA announcements are crucial in deciding if a player is worthy of league honors.

It's this way for a lot of leagues and it's been that way. It's not the best form of doing it, but it is the easiest.
Reply With Quote
  #406  
Old 11-02-17, 01:30 PM
Youngguy Youngguy is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-28-17
Posts: 59
Youngguy is on a distinguished road
I agree 100% that #5, Johnson, should have made the team. He was their best DB and one of the best in the PAC. I have doubts about #25 Knight and #52 Beans. They were very inconsistent. #3, Shuler yes on offense, but weak on defense.
Reply With Quote
  #407  
Old 11-02-17, 02:25 PM
bluepride1990 bluepride1990 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 05-29-14
Posts: 408
bluepride1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the123kidz View Post
I disagree, I saw every team this year and these kids are the names I heard mentioned over and over again. There are a number of kid that I would have liked to see mentioned but the formula they use doesn't allow for it. Manchester as the league champ can have 6 players. The 6 mentioned are the kids I heard the PA announcer mentioning the most. I can think of one exception for them and that is #5, but, which of the other kids would you take off? Another example would be to ask Orville if #15 for CVCA is all league or honorable mention. There are only so many spots. Here is the thing, the teams nominate their own players. So if a kid you thought should have been mentioned and was not his coaches know better then any of us.
But those mentioned on the PA are not what makes a football team. We all know the O-Line should never be mentioned on the PA system.

It should be by position consisting of 5 linemen, a QB, 2-3RB, 2-3 WR/TE on offense, with a similar breakdown on defense. Maybe its 12 or 13 for O and D to allow for different styles.

This All-PAC team could not play a game.

Yes if you did it by position a teams MVP may not make it based on his competition (may be on 2nd team, or HM) but the fact you have a bunch of QBs and only two O-linemen tells you it is not a team but an all-star list.
Reply With Quote
  #408  
Old 11-02-17, 03:33 PM
the123kidz the123kidz is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-21-10
Posts: 1,109
the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepride1990 View Post
But those mentioned on the PA are not what makes a football team. We all know the O-Line should never be mentioned on the PA system.

It should be by position consisting of 5 linemen, a QB, 2-3RB, 2-3 WR/TE on offense, with a similar breakdown on defense. Maybe its 12 or 13 for O and D to allow for different styles.

This All-PAC team could not play a game.

Yes if you did it by position a teams MVP may not make it based on his competition (may be on 2nd team, or HM) but the fact you have a bunch of QBs and only two O-linemen tells you it is not a team but an all-star list.
I agree with you 100% on this. I would prefer it be the old way. It is just not the reality of how anyone picks these teams anymore. When guys like you or I played it was the way you mentioned.
Reply With Quote
  #409  
Old 11-02-17, 05:02 PM
ECOLace ECOLace is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-25-12
Posts: 652
ECOLace is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepride1990 View Post
But those mentioned on the PA are not what makes a football team. We all know the O-Line should never be mentioned on the PA system.

It should be by position consisting of 5 linemen, a QB, 2-3RB, 2-3 WR/TE on offense, with a similar breakdown on defense. Maybe its 12 or 13 for O and D to allow for different styles.

This All-PAC team could not play a game.

Yes if you did it by position a teams MVP may not make it based on his competition (may be on 2nd team, or HM) but the fact you have a bunch of QBs and only two O-linemen tells you it is not a team but an all-star list.
Traditionally teams are allotted a certain amount of slots based on where they finished in the league and their own coaches choose. No league that Iím aware of does it by position in Ohio.
Reply With Quote
  #410  
Old 11-02-17, 05:47 PM
Youngguy Youngguy is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-28-17
Posts: 59
Youngguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECOLace View Post
Traditionally teams are allotted a certain amount of slots based on where they finished in the league and their own coaches choose. No league that Iím aware of does it by position in Ohio.
You are correct. It is the coaches' call on his players, regardless whether they deserve it or not. However, when many opposing coaches laud some of your players without being asked and you don't put them on the team, there's a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #411  
Old 11-02-17, 06:25 PM
Youngguy Youngguy is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-28-17
Posts: 59
Youngguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngguy View Post
You are correct. It is the coaches' call on his players, regardless whether they deserve it or not. However, when many opposing coaches laud some of your players without being asked and you don't put them on the team, there's a problem.
To wrap this up, how can you leave your leading tackler off and a DB who opposing coaches said was the best they had seen this season?
Reply With Quote
  #412  
Old 11-04-17, 10:46 AM
sheldoncooper sheldoncooper is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 03-30-14
Posts: 70
sheldoncooper is on a distinguished road
Its easy ... other kids were more deserving ... there are a limited number of players from each school that can make first team .... and quite a few players play on both sides of the ball
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Canton McKinley Football Season IUDOGS Football 232 06-24-17 02:40 PM
2016-17 Suburban League American Discussion Yappi Boys Basketball 554 03-27-17 07:04 PM
2016 - 2017 Canton McKinley Girls Basketball Season IUDOGS Girls Basketball 57 03-20-17 09:41 AM
Want to play for the Cincinnati Fury in 2017? CinciFury Baseball 0 07-25-16 02:59 PM
2017 Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team - Now Accepting Applications Ohio TofC Wrestling 1 06-02-16 01:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz