Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-06-18, 11:56 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Stark/Summit Baseball League -vs- Hall of Fame Baseball League

Getting lots of emails from these two leagues. Seems to be some heated competition between the established league (SSBL) and the new league (HOFBBL).

What do you think of these two travel leagues and their new competition?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-18, 01:54 PM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Don't know much about the formation of the new league, but my experience w/the SSBL in the past, was that from a competitive stand point, it was always a step behind in luring the top talented players/teams in the area, especially in the older divisions. In fact, many of the acknowledged established travel programs no longer play their top teams in any leagues. The trend is to enter their teams in the myriad of available bigger tournaments throughout the summer, & simply skip playing any league games. So many of these tournaments can begin play as early as Wednesdays during the week, with the goal of having your team progress thru the weekend. That doesn't leave much available days for league play. Teams would rather save their pitching for the tournaments, rather than what they feel re meaningless league games. That being said, certain leagues such as the Diamond league still field competitive leagues for the top talent, while these organizations often will place their second and third tier teams in the SSBL, or similar leagues. Travel team organizations have become big business, trying to add as many kids & subsequent team fees. The excess kids need somewhere to play, and are often just not competitive enough for the top tournaments the more talented teams enter. Thus, organizations just place these kids/teams in leagues like the SSBL, and less competitive local tournaments to justify the often excessive team fees. With so many kids now wanting to play "travel baseball" there is a need for what in the past were local recreation leagues for these kids to participate in. Everything now is about the myth that every kid is a "travel league" talented kid, when in fact very few actually progress thru the system with the goal of playing college baseball. But, you just can't get many parents to accept that reality. Thus, more kids means more leagues, regardless of actual talent level. Most are simply glorified rec leagues. I imagine this new league is just looking to take advantage of multitude of kids/parents looking to say that they now play "travel baseball" rather than good ale rec ball like it was in the past.
Old 12-06-18, 02:29 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
I imagine this new league is just looking to take advantage of multitude of kids/parents looking to say that they now play "travel baseball" rather than good ale rec ball like it was in the past.
I agree with everything you said above except for the quoted part. Because I helped someone with scheduling their games this past season, I am getting tons of emails from both leagues. In previous years, it was a trickle with a couple per month at the most. This year, it is like a political campaign. One side sends an email, the other side responds quickly. Alliances are being formed. Alliances are being broken.

I'm really curious what precipitated this back and forth. I'm sure some people on here are aware of the background story that got us to this point.
Old 12-07-18, 11:21 AM
All Ohio

As I said, I don't know much about the formation of the new league, and are not privy to the multitude of E mails you have seen from both organizations. All I know, that it is not unusual for members of one organization to break away from said group and form their own league, mostly due to dissatisfaction with their current league. If that's the case here, things can get pretty nasty at times. But, I still stick by the belief that there are way to many kids self identified as travel players who, not that long ago would have been playing in the many community recreation leagues which have slowly dried up over recent years. There is only so much talent to go around, but giving any kid the opportunity to play some baseball during the summer should always be a good thing. Just quit calling everything travel baseball, just because you have more than one uniform, team warm ups & bags, and a large team banner identifying your team name hanging on a fence, and play a couple summer tournaments per season.
Old 12-07-18, 02:10 PM
All Ohio

I understand that either league would appreciate your help in scheduling their tournaments for the past and subsequent seasons. That doesn't take away from the fact that although the SSBL would like to enter teams in the more competitive tournaments, their success rate would be minimal. Even with a guarantee of up to 5 games per tournament, most of those SSBL teams most likely would not get past their initial pool's seeding process to compete for the tournament's final top spots and ultimate desired meaningful weekend play. Most would likely end up in the losers bracket, and play out their guaranteed 5 games w/out any chance to compete for the tournament championship. I would think the same top teams would most likely qualify for those top seeds regardless of the tournament week to week. But, if the SSBL teams want to advertise that they will compete in so many more competitive tournaments, so be it. It doesn't change the fact that their success rate would be limited from my experience.