Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-07-18, 04:03 PM
Moderated User

sam the butcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10 View Post
Because you're just bashing Jackson because you can. Do you go to Jackson games and see this first hand? Didn't think so.
In this post here you were wrong....but I do see it as exhibit Q in the hypocrite trial, you comment here on me, but on the, "Hogan coach wins an award" thread you intentionally throw Massillons name into the mix to stir up cheap. Why?
Old 03-07-18, 04:11 PM
All Ohio

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam the butcher View Post
In this post here you were wrong....but I do see it as exhibit Q in the hypocrite trial, you comment here on me, but on the, "Hogan coach wins an award" thread you intentionally throw Massillons name into the mix to stir up cheap. Why?
I assumed since you rarely have anything good to say about Jackson that you wouldn't be attending any of their games. If I was wrong about that then I was wrong, not sure how that equates to being a hypocrite? As the Hoban thread. The original poster was just trying to get a bunch of crap started, I was just trying to be funny, I didn't say anything bad about Massillon. Usually all you have to do is mention the name and it takes a life of its own.
Old 03-07-18, 04:11 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
He really does bring every discussion down to Massillon vs the world. It's not good for the site. Don't know why the mods allow it.

He claims to never do anything but "defend Massillon" but he's on the "Fans Leaving Early" thread attacking Jackson ON THE SECOND POST.
Since you're so vehemently opposed to such behavior I'm just going to assume that your question on the Massillon thread...."how do all of Massillon transfers this year compare to transfers from years past?" Was you, just having some fun....
Old 03-07-18, 04:18 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
I assumed since you rarely have anything good to say about Jackson that you wouldn't be attending any of their games. If I was wrong about that then I was wrong, not sure how that equates to being a hypocrite? As the Hoban thread. The original poster was just trying to get a bunch of crap started, I was just trying to be funny, I didn't say anything bad about Massillon. Usually all you have to do is mention the name and it takes a life of its own.

So....jackson03 was...."just having fun" and you were "just trying to be funny."

See, your little jokes end up coming full circle, you make your (hilarious) little joke, then someone takes a shot at Massillon, then another, then another, maybe theirs are categorized as, "just having fun" too but all of a sudden, a few responses by Tiger fans in defense and you're all whining like school girls about us "ruining another thread."

Everyone either needs to stop "trying to be funny" or get thicker skin when I reply.
Old 03-07-18, 04:19 PM
Moderated User

Seriously bass, do you see where I'm coming from?
Old 03-07-18, 04:23 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
The hypocrite remark was you questioning my post about Jackson on the leaving early thread then dropping Massillons name on the Hogan coach gets an award thread with bad intentions. Can you agree that that's hypocritical?
Old 03-07-18, 05:38 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post
Ward ran faster in the 40 than Conley, oh lordy Cabby has material against Massillon....please pretty please defend us chiefy jones
There's a good reason for that.
Old 03-07-18, 05:50 PM
Moderated User

GregG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There's a good reason for that.
Don’t remember him having a nagging injury? Could be wrong? Don’t know what you mean by that?
Old 03-07-18, 09:32 PM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
dropping Massillons name on the Hogan coach
Hogan ?
Old 03-22-18, 11:46 PM
Junior Varsity

MATCAT67 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
Like how Perry dropped Massillon....
Which is exactly why Massillon needs to be in the league. I LOVE the Perry-Massillon game. Two miles apart, 17,000 people at the game, that's Stark County High School Football right there. That type of atmosphere could happen every week for Massillon and whoever they play (if they were in the Fed). Perry dropping Massillon is Wakefield still holding a grudge against Massillon. Its dumb. Instead Perry is going to play a Canadian team in 2018 and Massillon is going to play East St. Louis. They Fed did not water down McKinley football either. McKinley won the league something like 5 years in a row (2009-2013, also not sure on the exact years). Bringing Massillon into the league would be great for Stark County football. I do think they would struggle more than they think they would, but they would also bring a lot to the table. Until the Fed gets some real leadership, I don't see this move happening anytime soon. Let them in I say.
Old 03-23-18, 06:15 AM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATCAT67 View Post
Which is exactly why Massillon needs to be in the league. I LOVE the Perry-Massillon game. Two miles apart, 17,000 people at the game, that's Stark County High School Football right there. That type of atmosphere could happen every week for Massillon and whoever they play (if they were in the Fed). Perry dropping Massillon is Wakefield still holding a grudge against Massillon. Its dumb. Instead Perry is going to play a Canadian team in 2018 and Massillon is going to play East St. Louis. They Fed did not water down McKinley football either. McKinley won the league something like 5 years in a row (2009-2013, also not sure on the exact years). Bringing Massillon into the league would be great for Stark County football. I do think they would struggle more than they think they would, but they would also bring a lot to the table. Until the Fed gets some real leadership, I don't see this move happening anytime soon. Let them in I say.
Old 03-23-18, 08:03 AM
Junior Varsity

FeartheNeer is on a distinguished road
Quality expansion wouldn't have been a problem if those darn Y-town teams didn't abandon us. I used to love those Boardman and Fitch games. The drive sucked, but the competition was awesome year in and year out! Be careful about adding to many more DII or DIII schools or you might have to start looking at a split. GO, JAK, MCK may need to find a new home, They don't help themselves with OOC scheduling most years either, but they are starting to play a lot of DII teams which can hurt point accumulation sometimes, adding more could exacerbate the issue.
Old 06-19-18, 12:19 PM
All District

bodiaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeartheNeer View Post
Quality expansion wouldn't have been a problem if those darn Y-town teams didn't abandon us. I used to love those Boardman and Fitch games. The drive sucked, but the competition was awesome year in and year out! Be careful about adding to many more DII or DIII schools or you might have to start looking at a split. GO, JAK, MCK may need to find a new home, They don't help themselves with OOC scheduling most years either, but they are starting to play a lot of DII teams which can hurt point accumulation sometimes, adding more could exacerbate the issue.
1. Where do you propose that McKinley would find a new home? More than likely, they would be in the same boat as Massillon, having to function as an Independent. Outside of the Federal, what are league would even consider McKinley.

2. Jackson is going nowhere, why would they leave the Fed, they control most of the off sports, and they have good rivals in place. Lets not pretend that Jackson would join McKinley and Massillon in a new league, no chance, Jackson wants nothing to do with the cheating from Massillon. Besides, the off sports in a league with Mass and Mck would be horrendous and hurt the Bears teams at the state level.

3. I seriously doubt GlenOak is looking to leave the Fed, they are a charter member (Glenwood), and have great history with the teams in the league.

4. You might have actually made more sense, if you said, you could see some of the smaller schools, such as Lake and Hoover looking to get out of the Fed ,but those schools might even struggle to find a new home, with really only the Suburban League as a realistic option. I can't see either of those schools leaving.

5. Could always bring back the original Senate League:

Originally the Starke County A League when formed in 1921, the league adjusted its name when Ohio went from "A"/"B" classification to "AA"/"A" in 1957. When the Federal League split off in 1964, the remaining members renamed their league the SL in response. The League folded in 1989, as its remaining members split to help form two new leagues.

Alliance Aviators (1921–53, to Big 8 Conference)
Canton South Wildcats (1921–64, to Federal League)
East Canton Hornets (1921–89, to PAC-7)
Canton Glenwood Eagles (Middlebranch until 1957, 1921–64, to Federal League)
North Canton Hoover Vikings (North Canton until 1957, 1921–68, to Federal League)
Canton Jackson Polar Bears (1921–64, to Federal League)
Louisville Leopards (1921–32, to Tri-County League)
Canton McKinley Bulldogs (1921–32, to Canton City League)
Minerva Lions (1921–32, to Tri-County League; 1973–89, to Northeastern Buckeye Conference)
Canton Lincoln Lions (1926–32, to Canton City League)
Canal Fulton Northwest Indians (1952–83, to All-Ohio League)
Magnolia Sandy Valley Cardinals (1953–64, to Federal League; 1968-89, to PAC-7)
Massilon Perry Panthers (1956–64, to Federal League)
Marlboro Marlington Dukes (1957–64, to Federal League)
Uniontown Lake Blue Streaks (1958–87, to Federal League)
Navarre Fairless Falcons (1960–64, to Federal League)
Canton Oakwood Golden Raiders (1960–68, to Federal League)
Tuscarawas Township Tuslaw Mustangs (1960–89, to PAC-7)
Starsburg-Franklin Tigers (1968–71, to Inter-Valley Conference)
Zoarville Tuscarawas Valley Trojans (1968–74, to Inter-Valley Conference 1974-1977, to All-Ohio Conference 1977-1983; 1983-89 to PAC-7)
Carrollton Warriors (1974-89, to Northeastern Buckeye Conference)
Uhrichsville Claymont Mustangs (1974-89, to East Central Ohio League)
Dover Tornadoes (1987-89, to Northeastern Buckeye Conference)
Old 06-20-18, 09:05 AM
All Ohio

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
Bodiaz - great stuff

I love this kinda stuff. I do not think all county teams were in the Stark County A and B league. And some schools that once were in the B league grew and never were in the Senate.

I also have argued with many for years that Dover was actually in the NBC after a short stint in the SENATE league.

As far as present day goes.....there is no where for any of them to go. The D1-D2 thing is not that big of a deal, just a couple years ago most these D2 teams were D1 anyway. No one in the county has sat at home because they played D2 teams. Perry is D2, do you think they mind playing the schedule they have? Rivalries heat up the competition and prep them for the D2 post season run. The Stark D1s need to find out how to compete with the big privates year in and year out in order to make some noise. Tough order but other than that, there is nowhere to really go but north
Old 06-20-18, 12:14 PM
All District

bodiaz is an unknown quantity at this point
B League

Stark B League consisted of:

Originally the Stark County B League, this league ended in 1960, as its last remaining member moved to the Stark County AA League.

Beach City Pirates (1921–60, consolidated into Fairless)
Brewster Railroaders (1921–60, consolidated into Fairless)
Canal Fulton Indians (1921–52, consolidated into Northwest)
East Sparta Spartans (1921–53, consolidated into Sandy Valley)
Greentown Greyhounds (1921–53, consolidated into North Canton)
Hartville Blue Streaks (1921–58, consolidated into Lake)
Lexington Lions (1921–57, consolidated into Marlington)
Magnolia Panthers (1921–53, consolidated into Sandy Valley)
Marlboro Dukes (1921–57, consolidated into Marlington)
Navarre Rams (1921–60, consolidated into Fairless)
Uniontown Bobcats (1921–58, consolidated into Lake)
Washington Warriors (1921–57, consolidated into Marlington)
Waynesburg Mohawks (1921–53, consolidated into Sandy Valley)
Canton Oakwood Golden Raiders (1933–60, to Stark County AA League)

Another Stark County Football League that has long since been forgotten was the Hall of Fame League:

(football only, 1972-1975)

Louisville St. Thomas Aquinas Knights
Canton Central Catholic Crusaders
Canton Lehman Polar Bears
Canton Lincoln Lions
Canton Timken Trojans

You are correct about Dover being in the NBC:

Former members
School Nickname Location Colors Tenure Notes
Dover Tornadoes Dover Crimson, Gray
1989-1993 Founding member; left for the ECOL in 1993-94.
Northwest Indians Lawrence Red, White, & Gray
1989-2011 Founding member; left in 2011 to be independent.
Springfield Spartans Lakemore Red, Gray
1993-2005 Left for the PTC in 2005.

Last but not least probably the greatest conferences for football in Ohio history, but I doubt we will ever see such a powerful leagues again:

All American Conference
Keep in mind Niles and Alliance were both strong football programs at this time:

Warren Harding Raiders (1963–79)
Canton McKinley Bulldogs (1963–79)
Niles McKinley Red Dragons (1963–79)
Massillon Washington Tigers (1963–79)
Steubenville Big Red (1966–79)
Alliance Aviators (1969–79)

Ohio Scholastic League

Alliance Aviators (1948-51
Mansfield Tygers (1948-1951)
Massillon Washington Tigers (1948-1951)
Canton McKinley Bulldogs (1949-1951)
Toledo Waite Indians (1948-1951)
Warren Warren G. Harding Panthers (1948-1951)
The football-only league dissolved in May 1952, prior to the 1952 football season. Distance and low gate receipts were cited as reasons for folding the league. Toledo Waite representatives also mentioned that having to play conference newcomer Toledo Macomber in the Toledo City League would have made it impossible for them to continue playing in both leagues.

An interest in joining the league was expressed by Hamilton, Middletown, Springfield, and Toledo Libbey in 1949, but those schools ultimately decided the travel was too much for them to consider as well.
Old 06-20-18, 05:34 PM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiaz View Post
Canton Jackson Polar Bears (1921–64, to Federal League)
Jackson held one year of HS classes in 1920, but after that township students went back to Massillon Washington, Canal Fulton, North Canton, and Canton (various schools). Jackson HS didn't permanently reopen until 1930. So unless there was a club sport thing that should be the start date.

I want to say at the time they were usually referred to as "Jackson Twp." -- I know they were in the 30s but I don't know when they switched to "Massillon Jackson."
Old 06-20-18, 11:36 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
Jackson held one year of HS classes in 1920, but after that township students went back to Massillon Washington, Canal Fulton, North Canton, and Canton (various schools). Jackson HS didn't permanently reopen until 1930. So unless there was a club sport thing that should be the start date.

I want to say at the time they were usually referred to as "Jackson Twp." -- I know they were in the 30s but I don't know when they switched to "Massillon Jackson."
They occasionally went by Jackson Memorial, too. Perhaps "Massillon Jackson" came when they moved the HS to its current location? When was that, mid to late '70s?

Incidentally, North Canton was not in the Stark A League from 1921-1968, if they even were at all. For one, North Canton was class B for many years - maybe up until Greentown consolidated with North Canton in the fall of '57. For two, North Canton competed in the Metropolitan League at one point with suburban Akron schools. That was in the '40s, IIRC. North Canton's state championship in basketball was won while competing in Class B.

What other useless drivel can I offer?

Claymont was on the verge of joining the Hall of Fame Conference when the decision to relegate Lincoln and Lehman to junior highs effectively ended the league.

Lehman was a member of the InterCity League in the '60s. The league was mostly made up of schools from the Akron area such as Cuyahoga Falls. I'm thinking Barberton was in it, too, but I'd have to go microfilming again to confirm. Either Hoban or St. V. or St. M. (they hadn't merged yet) may have also been in this league, but the league always made sure to have more public than private schools in order to maintain voting power.

Central and St. Thomas were members of the Inter County Conference from '79-'83 alongside St. V-M and Walsh Jesuit/Our Lady of the Elms. It didn't go well for Central and St. Thomas. IIRC, St. V-M won 2 state titles during the league's existence. When St. V-M couldn't win the league, Walsh Jesuit did. The 4 schools tried again in the late '80s and early '90s along with Hoban in what was called the Northeastern Catholic Conference. It appears the league did not include football. It also appears the league didn't last long enough for anyone to know much of anything about it. Details are rather scarce.
Old 06-21-18, 12:15 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
They occasionally went by Jackson Memorial, too. Perhaps "Massillon Jackson" came when they moved the HS to its current location? When was that, mid to late '70s?

Incidentally, North Canton was not in the Stark A League from 1921-1968, if they even were at all. For one, North Canton was class B for many years - maybe up until Greentown consolidated with North Canton in the fall of '57. For two, North Canton competed in the Metropolitan League at one point with suburban Akron schools. That was in the '40s, IIRC. North Canton's state championship in basketball was won while competing in Class B.

What other useless drivel can I offer?

Claymont was on the verge of joining the Hall of Fame Conference when the decision to relegate Lincoln and Lehman to junior highs effectively ended the league.

Lehman was a member of the InterCity League in the '60s. The league was mostly made up of schools from the Akron area such as Cuyahoga Falls. I'm thinking Barberton was in it, too, but I'd have to go microfilming again to confirm. Either Hoban or St. V. or St. M. (they hadn't merged yet) may have also been in this league, but the league always made sure to have more public than private schools in order to maintain voting power.

Central and St. Thomas were members of the Inter County Conference from '79-'83 alongside St. V-M and Walsh Jesuit/Our Lady of the Elms. It didn't go well for Central and St. Thomas. IIRC, St. V-M won 2 state titles during the league's existence. When St. V-M couldn't win the league, Walsh Jesuit did. The 4 schools tried again in the late '80s and early '90s along with Hoban in what was called the Northeastern Catholic Conference. It appears the league did not include football. It also appears the league didn't last long enough for anyone to know much of anything about it. Details are rather scarce.
Everything is useless drivel at the end of the day.

Late 70s, yeah. It wouldn't be because of the mailing address since both are Massillon. Probably whenever the OHSAA by and large ditched township prefixes (although some still exist). You might be onto something with the loss of "Memorial" that they had to throw in something else to differentiate from the Jackson Ironmen down south.

I had no idea Central was in a league at all. A more interesting topic might be where they could go in the future rather than Fed expansion, because I just don't see the Fed expanding until or unless Jackson drops the boycott against Massillon. Any idea of a "super Fed" that had put feelers out to Hudson and some other big Cleveland schools won't be viable until gasoline rests at $1/gal for another 20 years. Or until the next baby boom or economic renaissance in Ohio (i.e. never).

I also don't see Jax/McK/GO leaving for football reasons or any other. Jackson Township actually contracted by a hundred or so residents last year, so they may just be built out and stable like Plain Twp. And none of those three schools are astronomically better than the D2 ones, unless the D2s start to decline further (Hoover) or don't rebound (Lake).

Last edited by jackson03; 06-21-18 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-21-18, 05:47 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post

I don't think the school district ever switched to "Massillon Jackson." I believe that's something only the OHSAA uses. The Ohio Department of Education doesn't use that qualifier.

When the current Middle School was renovated in the 1940's, it opened as Jackson Memorial High School. The "Memorial" name seemed to stay with the Middle School rather than carry over when the new high school opened in the 1970's.

Here's some interesting reading - http://www.cantonrep.com/article/201...NEWS/150629690.
Old 06-22-18, 07:54 PM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Here is a link to past schools in Stark County and if they are still standing or have been demolished. I don’t believe it’s complete but their are a lot of schools listed.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geK...m.9yoZzA9AytM-
Old 06-23-18, 05:58 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by firewatch View Post
Here is a link to past schools in Stark County and if they are still standing or have been demolished. I don’t believe it’s complete but their are a lot of schools listed.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geK...m.9yoZzA9AytM-
new link...

http://www.oldohioschools.com/stark_county.htm

FWIW: The info on Gibbs School (Canton) is 50/50

The old school was razed and a new school built on site with a different
foot print. the unique architectural stone porticos from the old building
were saved and used in the new building.

In the photo (the front facing Gibbs Ave.) these are the cream colored
arches, the bottom portions have been painted black, also they have already
removed the stone work that was over the arches, etched "Gibbs Avenue School".

The North and South entrances had similar arches with etched
'Boys' (N) and 'Girls' (S). These were also retained and used in the new
building.

:>---

SF