Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-26-17, 10:39 AM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
Mike Felts:
there are no byes coming out of Barnesville
Felts!!!!!
Old 02-26-17, 11:10 AM
Freshman

jpagniano is on a distinguished road
My son is a freshman, a fairly accomplished one at that. He ended the season 30-18 with 20 pins and a tournament championship. His goals at the beginning of the season were 30 wins and to become a district qualifier. He made the 30 wins but missed out on districts. Not a fan of excuses but the kid was curled up in a ball on the couch Thursday after practice and all day Friday due to illness. Had to cut Friday night to make weight, 6 pounds over. Has a tough draw in a tough bracket and makes it to the blood round against a returning district qualifier. Was leading 3-0 before he got gassed and lost. Saw several kids with bad sub .500 records move on because their were only 4 kids in their bracket or 5 and the 5th kid had 20 more losses than wins. I worry about kids with those kind of records at an event like districts where everyone is out to fulfill the dream of making a state tournament. I've seen these kids get man handled by much less accomplished wrestlers than they will face at districts. Still super proud of my kid though, already told me his goal for next season is 40 wins and state!!!
Old 02-26-17, 11:57 AM
All World

wash.c.h.legend is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Root View Post
Congrats to a kid that stuck it out. A lot of others in the sport might have hung up their shoes. If anything it shows that "anything can happen." Best of luck to everyone this coming weekend.

Coach Root

Agree 100%. Congrats to the kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-17, 12:09 PM
Junior Varsity

Vayosmith33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wash.c.h.legend View Post
I had a kid with 30 plus wins that didn't make it out one year. That is a tough one. And it was, a very tough sectional. Tough on a senior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very tough sectional this year Kenny Byers a very solid 126 pounder will not make it out and Zach Taylor a solid 152 will also be staying home. IMO opinion they need to break up sectionals better
Old 02-26-17, 12:53 PM
All Region

miketyson is on a distinguished road
the only people

complaining about these "bad wrestlers" making districts are guys that got beat in high school and didn't make it to the tournament. Get over it. Wrestling has changed a lot over the past decades. More divisions less numbers. get over it.
Old 02-26-17, 12:56 PM
All District

Knee Tap is on a distinguished road
Congrats Felts !
Old 02-26-17, 01:33 PM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
complaining about these "bad wrestlers" making districts are guys that got beat in high school and didn't make it to the tournament. Get over it. Wrestling has changed a lot over the past decades. More divisions less numbers. get over it.

There are no more divisions now than there were 45 years ago.........................3.
Old 02-26-17, 03:37 PM
All Ohio

Donkability is on a distinguished road
so if these sectionals continue to water down across the state cant we just set some sort of criteria and elememinate sectionals all together and shorten the season by a week. this would fix all of yappies problems. 32 man two day district. .500 or better to even get a line. rat tail any extras. if holes need filled dip into the next few kids under .500 so a kid that is 14-16 may still get in. never a kid that is 0-15. Nothing against the kid that made it, just no reason for half the state to have two day sectionals and half the state one day, as well with sectionals having 4-5 kids in a weight class.

The cream always rises to the top so its really not that big of a deal, just seems like half of the sectionals are a complete waste of time!

like coach root said congrats to the boy that stuck it out and not giving up!
Old 02-26-17, 04:17 PM
Freshman

jpagniano is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkability View Post
so if these sectionals continue to water down across the state cant we just set some sort of criteria and elememinate sectionals all together and shorten the season by a week. this would fix all of yappies problems. 32 man two day district. .500 or better to even get a line. rat tail any extras. if holes need filled dip into the next few kids under .500 so a kid that is 14-16 may still get in. never a kid that is 0-15. Nothing against the kid that made it, just no reason for half the state to have two day sectionals and half the state one day, as well with sectionals having 4-5 kids in a weight class.

The cream always rises to the top so its really not that big of a deal, just seems like half of the sectionals are a complete waste of time!

That makes a lot of sense to me. It's a safety factor for some of those kids that are far sub .500. they are likely going to face a state placer in the first round of districts and someone who is fighting for their wrestling life in round two.
Old 02-26-17, 07:13 PM
All District

FallOffCradle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkability View Post

This solves the problem with light brackets at sectionals but doesn't address the issue that participation numbers are still falling... if the trend continues it won't be a discussion of light brackets at sectionals it will be a discussion of whether the sport stays viable as an extracurricular in public schools
Old 02-26-17, 07:30 PM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
No answer.

Last edited by darthmalice; 02-26-17 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-26-17, 10:35 PM
All District

td2fall is on a distinguished road
just to enlighten some of you.yes there use to be just 2 divisions in state wrestling .in 1976 it went to 3 divisions for state wrestling.it was AAA as big school wrestling and the AA and A were combined in the state tournament.so that being said you would have division 1 schools like now and then imagine the d2 an d3 sectionals combining and going from there.might want to watch your barking about low numbers at sectional or things might get way to hard for the real softies of today......just wrestle and start making changes to the scheduling and that will draw more interest.
Old 02-26-17, 10:54 PM
Varsity

MikeFelts is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro Fan View Post
Byes do not advance

go look at GH D3 182
Old 02-26-17, 11:05 PM
All Ohio

cosh wrestling dad is on a distinguished road
i think just having districts is horrible. i know a kid that made it to districts by winning 1 match. making it to districts was a game changer for him. he knows it will be rough next week but cant wait! even is talking about camps this summer lol. wrestle it out not everyone is s STUD. with no chance of moving forward and still being a.500 kid why wrestle is what some may think. Good luck to all that made it to the next level. I hope the kid this threads based on takes home a win next week
Old 02-26-17, 11:58 PM
All American

Dad4Sports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFelts View Post
go look at GH D3 182
An alternate will fill that spot...random draw among the 3 other sectionals 5th place finishers
Old 02-27-17, 07:34 AM
All American

Maple Stang is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
Ditch the singlet and these brackets would all be full
You would have better results by dropping clubs at middle school level and banning hold backs!!! Especially 2 years!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-17, 07:46 AM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Eliminate sectionals? So if the sport is "dying", the answer is to wrestle less? Seriously?
Old 02-27-17, 08:02 AM
All District

td2fall is on a distinguished road
Go back to 1975 and before.2 division tournament they combined the AA and A.which is d2 d3 now and d1 by themselves which was AAA.ha how bout the people crying then.
Old 02-27-17, 03:28 PM
All Region

Caeruleus Leo is on a distinguished road
Quality

Not naming the Sectional or the wrestler, but we had an 0-15 wrestler "qualify" to Districts ahead of a kid with some wins on the year due to the random draw of the bracket for non-seeded wrestlers. The coach relayed to me that his wrestler felt he hadn't earned his qualification and wanted to concede his spot at Districts to the 5th place finisher.

This doesn't say much for the numbers or quality of competition, but I do think the wrestler feeling he needed to "earn" his qualification and wanting to do the right thing for the wrestler that had at least won a few matches was a "quality" move.
Old 03-07-17, 12:04 PM
Freshman

massiea is on a distinguished road
Here are some suggestions to bring the sport back to its roots:

Create a real "High School" state tournament. If OHSAA does not want to do it, we should do it ourselves. A "High School" team is one that represents its community and so how about a tournament setup where you can participate if you have no more than 2 boys who live outside of your school district. This eliminates the private schools and those public schools who use Open Enrollment to stack their teams. Let the Elite Club programs wrestle other elite club programs. They do that anyway in dual meets and within elite tournaments. Someone else can form a private school state tournament if they want or even a multistate private school tournament. How about Ohio/PA/West Virginia/Michigan. That would satisfy the club teams.

The second thing I would do, is eliminate the minimum match rule but make it a requirement to wrestle a minimum of 8 dual meet matches during the year. That way those wrestlers and teams that want, can enter tournaments to get the additional matches. Not sure you get to 40-50 matches a year like now but these are student athletes and should not be abused. This makes inter-conference matches mean something again and maybe your old local school rivalries will return.

The third thing I would do is make the conference tournaments the sectional qualifier for the true "High School" state tournament and the qualifier for the state dual meet tournament. That the average senior who has battled his way up to finishing at least on the conference tournament podium now has 8 dual meets and the conference tournament to make an impact on his team. In other words he counts and is not just fodder for club team wrestlers.

The fourth thing I would do is get the state wrestling officials to start taking control of matches again. This taunting of lesser wrestlers by elite wrestlers needs to result in a team penalty point. We don't need specific rules about behavior, a referee knows it when he sees it and should have the authority and backing to make that call. Humiliating a young man is what causes boys to leave the sport before they have a chance to learn enough technique to compete. If I see one more sorry coach calling for his kid to cut his opponent so that he can take him down for the 29th time, I am going to puke. Like that is good coaching. The great thing about wrestling is we teach integrity and respect for the sport and other competitors. Where has that gone? I would also put in place a set of rules where parent behavior can result in loss of team points as this is out of hand as well. Some of these tournaments look like I am going into a biker bar. This dark side of wrestling needs to understand that inappropriate behavior is not tolerated by coaches or referee's.

The fifth thing I would do is get the elite club coaches out of positions in the state where these decisions are made. They have too much at stake and have taken the sport to a place where it totally benefits them. I am all for improving the quality of Ohio elite wrestlers but it has reached a point where we can not sacrifice the sport itself for that goal. We can have both if we work to get the elite programs the opportunity they need as club teams and create a system where both wrestlers and coaches can compete on a local and conference level and then on to a state level. To satisfy everyone, we can have a unified state tournament where club teams and placewinners from the true "High School" state tournament that I am proposing can compete together for a true Individual State Wrestling Championship with no team championship.

I know this all sounds crazy and many people will make a bunch of reasons why it won't work but if we just stand by, this sport will be just like Judo and we will start to see high schools drop wrestling as a sport. This sport needs a major shake up and I hope some of the many excellent true "High School" wrestling coaches take this sport back from the parents, coaches and athletes who are using it to advance themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallOffCradle View Post
The state of the sport at the high school level is in decline, has been for years and will continue. Attempts to fix the sport include the State Team format. The problem with wrestling is that the 'middle' or 'average' or multiple sport athlete is not participating. Look at your sectional brackets and I think that you will find a lot of examples of 30-40 plus win records vs an equal number of 20+ loss records.

Add the fact that every 'dual' is now pretty much a bracket tri-meet (in order to get the 2 matches for that 1 schedule point), every one day tournament is now a pool style or dual meet (so you can max the 5 match limit) and a lot of the big tournaments outside of the holiday ones are all hybrids with pool to bracket so you can get as close to 10 matches for the 3 points.

Not to mention that kids/parents/cousins/aunts/uncles and grandparents must sit in the bleachers for hours to watch their wrestler for possibly 30 minutes (5 matches at 6 minutes each) and pay $10-12 for that privilege? Most parents will support the entire team but realistically they are only there to watch their son (or daughter). Somebody once said to me (wish I remembered who so I could give that person credit) we (wrestlers) put in a whole season in a two day tournament compared to a 10 game football schedule.

Conference competition is largely non-existent anymore, I don't know if any conference has the 1 on 1 dual meet schedule we had in the 80's. The the 'haves' flock to big name tournaments, the 'wannabe's' flock to those tournaments to try and 'build the program' all the while having wrestlers go 0-5, 1-4 and quitting after one year. The 'have-nots' go to small tournaments that are run like biddy tourneys and the JV tournaments have a stigma of "ok... everyone who can't really get in the line up or can't win some matches... come here and we'll wrestle a bunch of matches together"

I wrestled in the 80's and had 62 career wins, was a state placer... I coach kids that get over 100 wins and never make it out of districts (or even sectionals). I love watching the wrestlers that put in the work and are phenomenal in the sport, watching two highly skilled/highly trained combatants fighting for a victory is why wrestling is the greatest high school sport ever. The question I have is how do we as coaches, referee's, parents, fans and former wrestlers get a 7th grader (or Freshman with 2 years Jr. High experience) who may be a decent athlete but not really trained in wrestling yet to put in 2 or 3 years of continued grinding to stick around for their Senior year with a shot at making it to State? Those are the athletes we are losing year after year...

Whizzer King said new singlets would get him exactly the same number of wrestlers as he has now but somewhere the NFHS concluded that the singlet is one reason kids don't want to wrestle. If MMA shorts and cool compression T's get me one or two more athletic kids in my practice room I'm all for it.

We aren't handing out participation ribbons to everyone... we are handing out sectional placements to anyone left standing.
Old 03-07-17, 01:16 PM
All Region

innoshape is on a distinguished road
It is great that you are thinking about ways to help the sport; however, if it panned out as you proposed- elite clubs wrestle elite clubs and private schools have their own tournament -then I am not sure how many "Teams" or Individual wrestlers representing their schools will be left for your proposed real "High School" state tournament. OHSAA, although not perfect, still has the glue to hold our teams together for our state tournaments. Just seems like it could backfire by fragmenting teams & wrestlers.

I would totally eliminate the point system and leave the schedule up to the coaches who know best what their team can handle, considering support of Administration, experience of wrestlers, time constraints/available dates for competition, potential for injury/aggravation (i.e, don't wrestle the Brecksville tournament then schedule St. Eds the following week), potential for burnout, school concerns (i.e., travel, missed exams, gym conflicts, etc), etc... Elimination not likely, but at least raise the point system to say 30 points.
Old 03-07-17, 02:03 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Stang View Post
....and banning hold backs!!! Especially 2 years!!!!!!!
That toothpaste can't be put back in the tube, unfortunately, the OHSAA just made it worse.

It would be interesting, though, to see if this trend would continue if every tournament was like the Iron Man and posted wrestler's age in addition to grade...
Old 03-07-17, 02:16 PM
All Ohio

tkdn_wizard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad4Sports View Post
An alternate will fill that spot...random draw among the 3 other sectionals 5th place finishers
In theory, yes. That is the plan in place by the state. However, that is assuming the other 3 sectional alternates come, pass skin check, make weight. There have been a fair number of byes in the past 5-6 years at district. Not many, but a handful.

120 Kettering Fairmont for example is one I know of because we were there.
http://www.baumspage.com/swdist/ff1/...20Brackets.htm
Old 03-07-17, 02:35 PM
All World

Like_That
Send a message via AIM to Like_That
I have brought this up before, but why not just go to two divisions for the individual tournament? 24 man bracket and the OHSAA can't cry about revenue since the same number of participants will qualify for the tourney as the 3 div/16-man bracket format. The state dual tournament can keep its 3 division format.
Old 03-07-17, 02:37 PM
All Region

CoachHoversten is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=innoshape;6719526]It is great that you are thinking about ways to help the sport; however, if it panned out as you proposed- elite clubs wrestle elite clubs and private schools have their own tournament -then I am not sure how many "Teams" or Individual wrestlers representing their schools will be left for your proposed real "High School" state tournament. OHSAA, although not perfect, still has the glue to hold our teams together for our state tournaments. Just seems like it could backfire by fragmenting teams & wrestlers.

Totally honest question...does anyone know the breakdown of schools that are private, public + open enrollment, public non-open enroll?

I live in Stow/Munroe Falls district, and they do "limited open enrollment", basically only to fill classrooms and have a minimum number of students per grade. So if one kindergarten class is full of Stow residents, no one gets in.

Some districts only allow open enrollment for the kids of staff members.

Some districts don't allow it at all, not even for teachers of the district to bring their kids in (so on same schedule).

I would think this would be nearly impossible to split them, and if you did, would you lump Stow in with Wadsworth? (Limited open enroll vs. full?)

Also, open enrollment doesn't guarantee top quality sports teams. Coventry has the largest open enrollment in the state, and they are not St. Ed's, Wadsworth, Perry, etc.
Old 03-07-17, 04:09 PM
All District

bulldowg_Wrestling19 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=CoachHoversten;6719600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by innoshape View Post
Also, open enrollment doesn't guarantee top quality sports teams. Coventry has the largest open enrollment in the state, and they are not St. Ed's, Wadsworth, Perry, etc.

Where do you find those numbers?
Old 03-07-17, 04:49 PM
All Region

CoachHoversten is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=bulldowg_Wrestling19;6719754]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachHoversten View Post

I don't know in general, but Coventry has been in newspaper bc lot of controversy over open enroll and budgets. (Nothing to do with sports or anything) and the Akron beacon stated they had X number of open enrolled students which was highest in Ohio
Old 03-07-17, 04:51 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=bulldowg_Wrestling19;6719754]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachHoversten View Post

http://education.ohio.gov/getattachm...ICT-1.pdf.aspx
Old 03-07-17, 09:29 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
[QUOTE=CoachHoversten;6719811]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldowg_Wrestling19 View Post

I don't know in general, but Coventry has been in newspaper bc lot of controversy over open enroll and budgets. (Nothing to do with sports or anything) and the Akron beacon stated they had X number of open enrolled students which was highest in Ohio
I'm not familiar with schools in the Akron area, but if Coventry is open enrollment and a safer alternative than other schools in the area, this could be a factor. A similar phenomenon is true in the Marion area. Lots of parents bail on Harding to attend some of the nearby schools in the county. It has a spill over impact on sports, but sports is not the core reason people are making the move n that instance.

And if the schools are net receivers of state funds per student, it is a slam dunk to be OE.
Old 03-08-17, 08:03 AM
All Ohio

NCAAOHref is on a distinguished road
Why not go to TWO divisions like Pennsylvania. PA has as many or more wrestlers than OH, and they only have two divisions. Another option become like CA and go to ONE division. If you are going to complain about watered down sectionals or districts, then amp up the competition.