Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Canfield by 15+ 12 75.00%
Canfield by 8-14 2 12.50%
Canfield by 1-7 1 6.25%
Marlington by 1-7 1 6.25%
Marlington by 8-14 0 0%
Marlington by 15+ 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-18, 12:52 AM
All American

simkon is on a distinguished road
Region 9: #8 Marlington Dukes (8-2) @ #1 Canfield Cardinals (9-1)

Canfield and Marlington have not played in football is almost 20 years. Canfield won the last meeting 53-6 in week 10 to cap a perfect regular season where they would go on to lose by 1 or 2 points in one of the most poorly (biased) officiated games I have ever seen in person to a Howland team they easily defeated in week 5 by about 3 scores.
This is only the 3rd ever meeting as far as I know.
Marlington's key wins include West Branch in week 9 and Joan D'Arc in week 3. They were defeated in week 10 by the Alliance Aviators as well as by the Poland Bulldogs in week 1 which incidentally are their only two common opponents with Canfield. Canfield defeated Alliance 35-0 in week 2 and defeated Poland 34-7 in week 10 holding them to about 20 yards until the final minutes when Poland finally got on the board against the JV squad.
Marlington visited Canfield South Range just a few minutes down State Route 46 from Canfield High School. Marlington will join Louisville as the only other team to play both Canfield schools.
Canfield is without several key players still including WR/DB #7 who was lost for the season against Boardman in week 6. They don't have much depth and got upset by the East Golden Bears in week 8 while holding the #1 AP ranking.
With all that said who do you like in this match-up?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-18, 01:26 AM
All Ohio

nupanther is on a distinguished road
According to the Canton Rep, Alliance outrushed Marlington by almost 300 yards. The same Alliance team that was running clocked by Canfield
I cant see this game being close
Old 10-27-18, 02:58 AM
All Region

warrior333 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by simkon View Post
Canfield and Marlington have not played in football is almost 20 years. Canfield won the last meeting 53-6 in week 10 to cap a perfect regular season where they would go on to lose by 1 or 2 points in one of the most poorly (biased) officiated games I have ever seen in person to a Howland team they easily defeated in week 5 by about 3 scores.
This is only the 3rd ever meeting as far as I know.
Marlington's key wins include West Branch in week 9 and Joan D'Arc in week 3. They were defeated in week 10 by the Alliance Aviators as well as by the Poland Bulldogs in week 1 which incidentally are their only two common opponents with Canfield. Canfield defeated Alliance 35-0 in week 2 and defeated Poland 34-7 in week 10 holding them to about 20 yards until the final minutes when Poland finally got on the board against the JV squad.
Marlington visited Canfield South Range just a few minutes down State Route 46 from Canfield High School. Marlington will join Louisville as the only other team to play both Canfield schools.
Canfield is without several key players still including WR/DB #7 who was lost for the season against Boardman in week 6. They don't have much depth and got upset by the East Golden Bears in week 8 while holding the #1 AP ranking.
With all that said who do you like in this match-up?
Joe E has Marlington at 10th ??
Old 10-27-18, 03:07 AM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior333 View Post

Look at the playoff feature spot. Itís weird but they are the 8th playoff spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-18, 10:44 AM
All American

CARDINAL is on a distinguished road
South Range IS NOT a "Canfield School"

What are you drinking. You have to know that. You live here!!
Old 10-27-18, 11:51 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDINAL View Post
South Range IS NOT a "Canfield School"
They are both in Canfield, granted South Range's school is just barely, it is right on the border with Beaver and Green.
I never said they were a part of Canfield Local Schools.
Old 10-27-18, 12:33 PM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Canfield will absolutely roll In this one. Really took it to a Poland team who controlled the marlington game granted I’m sure they got better, but Canfield is finding their identity without 7
Old 10-27-18, 02:05 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by simkon View Post
They are both in Canfield, granted South Range's school is just barely, it is right on the border with Beaver and Green.
I never said they were a part of Canfield Local Schools.
South Range High School is not in Canfield. It has a Canfield mailing address but the township boundary is Western Reserve Rd. SRHS is either in Beaver or Green twp, not sure which one.
Old 10-27-18, 02:36 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
South Range High School is not in Canfield. It has a Canfield mailing address but the township boundary is Western Reserve Rd. SRHS is either in Beaver or Green twp, not sure which one.
I just checked a listing of township roads and West Middletown Road otherwise known as Township Route 28 is maintained by Canfield township and it literally borders the school on the very Northernmost extremity by the ball fields.

Green-Beaver Road otherwise known as Township Route 107 borders the school on the West side and is maintained by Green Township so it must be in Green township.

Cook Road also known as Township Route 237 is maintained by Beaver Township and thus must be in Beaver Township. That road is just to the South East of the school.

Western Reserve Road may have formerly been the boundary but in unicorporated areas the boundaries can change.
In this case the school likely needed to hook in with Canfield's existing infrastructure which may have originally terminated where you suggested around Western Reserve Road but as part of continuing it down State Route 46 to accommodate the school the township boundary was expanded to include a small area of the unicorporated area around the school. Generally in order to utilize the township's infrastructure you must be within the township.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-18, 02:42 PM
All World

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
Goodluck to the valley school here the Canfield Cardinals. You guys should roll this week. Do me a favor and win region 9 will ya.
Old 10-27-18, 07:34 PM
All American

CARDINAL is on a distinguished road
My god are you dense. They are 2 totally different municipalities.

Cop your losses. They have absolutely different entities, with nothing in common.

Cut your losses and drop it.
Old 10-27-18, 07:40 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Canfield and Beaver/Green weren't even allocated to the same state lol. Canfield Township (along with Poland all the way west towards Medina) were settled by Connecticut, 5x5 miles. The townships to the south are 6x6 miles, which is why they're larger. Those were Virginia townships. I'm not even sure a township could annex another township. Go look at election votes by precinct if you think Canfield has taken over anything outside its 5x5 boundary.

Now please, back to football. Canfield will likely be fine. It's amazing the defense mechanisms that are applied to a 9-1 team that lost a close game to a very good team. No one cares anymore, everyone is 0-0. Canfield earned the top seed, not just one or two players. Well-coached and hard-nosed top to bottom.
Old 10-28-18, 12:07 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
Canfield and Beaver/Green weren't even allocated to the same state lol. Canfield Township (along with Poland all the way west towards Medina) were settled by Connecticut, 5x5 miles. The townships to the south are 6x6 miles, which is why they're larger. Those were Virginia townships. I'm not even sure a township could annex another township. Go look at election votes by precinct if you think Canfield has taken over anything outside its 5x5 boundary.
I am sure you are right about all that stuff about who settled what townships and what size they were. All I know is when cities annex areas it isn't always shown on a map because some areas are rather small or it would cause confusion. Similarly although most township lines in Ohio still are fairly close to their original boundaries, there are occasionally reason to adjust the boundaries, such as if they later found out the original survey to set the boundary had an error. Alternatively in the past 20-30 years there has been some weird stuff that has gone on with annexation that has really caused a great deal of confusion. I definitely recall the township boundary being Western Reserve Road, I am not arguing that is never was, just that when the new school was built a small portion of the boundary was adjusted. I do not know the exact reason but presume it had to do with rules of annexation and utilizing infrastructure of a city, village, township, etc. Basically the township continues along State Route 46 until the Northern end of the school. It would only include any residences on State Route 46 and maybe a handful of others if there were any side streets in that stretch where houses were close to the main road.
Old 10-28-18, 01:01 AM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
Once. I. Start. I. Cannot. Stop.
Old 10-28-18, 02:53 AM
All Ohio

nupanther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior333 View Post
They had Marlington at 10th until the end of the Salem West Branch game. The Dukes were getting L2s no matter who won. Same with Alliance
Old 10-28-18, 12:45 PM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Marlington @ Canfield

added a poll
Old 10-31-18, 06:27 PM
All American

I guess we know who the one guy who voted that he thought Marlington would win is from the other thread.
Old 11-01-18, 01:16 AM
All World

Yeah that guy is delusional, this marlington who got beat up by Poland who was probably their toughest team all year finished 4th in their own league
Old 11-01-18, 01:46 AM
All Region

Old Wildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
Yeah that guy is delusional, this marlington who got beat up by Poland who was probably their toughest team all year finished 4th in their own league
Well hell I think Marlington will show up just for s and giggles. I've been involved with high school football for over 45 years including 26 coaching. This is the worst season I've ever seen a team have to endure so many injuries. Marlington had been desamated with so many injuries. 5 or 6 season endind injuries and 3 or ,4 more players missing multiple weeks. This is no excuse for Friday against Canfield even 100% healthy the Dukes probably couldn't pull out a victory. But like the old saying, on any Friday Night. I've been involved in state championship games winning a few but I've never been more proud of a team that has never quit or didn't give up. The Poland game week one Marlington didn't play well be it week one jitters or just focus, I'm not sure. Week 10 against Alliance the injuries caught up with the Dukes. I believe from week one to week 10 they lost 6 or so starters. Not taking anything away from Alliance they outplayed and out coached the Dukes. 29-8 is a tad miss vleading. Alliance scored 14 in the last 3 minutes of the game. So come Friday these young men will show up and give 110% . The odds are stacked against them but wouldn't it shock many people if the tide would turn. I want to wish both teams luck and health. Let's hope for a hard fought good clean fun game.
Old 11-01-18, 03:15 AM
All World

Season ending injuries are always terrible for young kids, it would be a shock if marlington won to me, I understand alliance got a lot better throughout the season, but marlington realistically was the only competition they had outside of Canfield Hubbard and Poland, which they were dominated in all 3. Canfield is so sound it’s scary, they won’t beat themselves
Old 11-01-18, 03:33 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
Season ending injuries are always terrible for young kids, it would be a shock if marlington won to me, I understand alliance got a lot better throughout the season, but marlington realistically was the only competition they had outside of Canfield Hubbard and Poland, which they were dominated in all 3. Canfield is so sound itís scary, they wonít beat themselves
I know
Old 11-01-18, 09:27 AM
Varsity

Dfoxfan37 is on a distinguished road
Buckeye elite nailed this one. Canfield isn’t an amazing team but man are they sound. Having moved into Canfield and having boys who play youth football we’ve followed the program the past 3 yrs closely and I give Pav lots of credit. Every coach has his quirks and for Pav I’d say he gets pretty conservative at times. However with that defense I can’t blame him. Reminds me a lot of the HS version of Tressell with the buckeyes. Run the ball, have a strong kicking game and a great defense. I haven’t seen them give up more than 20 pts in the past 2 seasons. And they’ve played some good teams, Boardman, Poland, Chardon, Louisville, Alliance, Struthers all twice, Ytown East, Aurora, NDCL, STVSM... I think that says a lot. The offense has a big backs who run hard downhill for HS Crawford, Clinkscale, & Sammarone are loads to bring down, Dawson at QB runs hard and finds the open WR’s, they have some athleticism with Hritz and if Herrera can come back. Wittenberger getting healthy would help the receivers. They have big TE with Halloff and Meyers, and a good HS O-line. The loss of Zaremski however is enormous, he was going to break records at Canfield and for a team that runs majority of the time he was really a mismatch vs any corner. With no catholic schools in region 9 or 10, I think the region 9 winner has a really good chance of getting to state champ game, Canfield won’t beat themselves and has a really good chance to be that team.
Old 11-01-18, 10:58 AM
All Region

KINGOFTHEJUNGLE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wildcat View Post
Well hell I think Marlington will show up just for s and giggles. I've been involved with high school football for over 45 years including 26 coaching. This is the worst season I've ever seen a team have to endure so many injuries. Marlington had been desamated with so many injuries. 5 or 6 season endind injuries and 3 or ,4 more players missing multiple weeks. This is no excuse for Friday against Canfield even 100% healthy the Dukes probably couldn't pull out a victory. But like the old saying, on any Friday Night. I've been involved in state championship games winning a few but I've never been more proud of a team that has never quit or didn't give up. The Poland game week one Marlington didn't play well be it week one jitters or just focus, I'm not sure. Week 10 against Alliance the injuries caught up with the Dukes. I believe from week one to week 10 they lost 6 or so starters. Not taking anything away from Alliance they outplayed and out coached the Dukes. 29-8 is a tad miss vleading. Alliance scored 14 in the last 3 minutes of the game. So come Friday these young men will show up and give 110% . The odds are stacked against them but wouldn't it shock many people if the tide would turn. I want to wish both teams luck and health. Let's hope for a hard fought good clean fun game.

To think Balderson won't have his team ready would be a huge mistake. If he can convince them that their season didn't end last week at Mount Union and to buy into the short memory theory......??? I'm with Cat on this one, on a cool fall Friday night in November anything can happen. Teams that have nothing to lose are the scariest ones to play, especially to open up the playoffs. Just saying. Good luck Dukes
Old 11-02-18, 12:04 PM
All Region

I'm curious what did Youngstown East do to beat Canfield? Did they run or throw successfully? I know the 2 common opponents we both played are running teams. Canfield is huge on both sides of the line but if Marlington can give the qb little time it might not be the blowout everyone thinks. If Marlington can get the offense going it might be closer than people think. Well we can only hope. We'll see in a few hours. Good luck to both teams and hope for zero injuries.
Old 11-02-18, 01:10 PM
All Ohio

YTOWN is on a distinguished road
Go Cards!
Old 11-02-18, 01:18 PM
All Region

Mr.wrsln2 is on a distinguished road
Not having to deal with louisville worked like a charm 4 the dukes,enjoy your reward.
Old 11-02-18, 01:51 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.wrsln2 View Post
Not having to deal with louisville worked like a charm 4 the dukes,enjoy your reward.
Geez get over it. It's history, and if you have were informed you'd know that Marlington was not in favor of the decision nor was Alliance but were backed into a corner to go along. Basically it was go along or the entire league will disolve. Personally I see the EBC ending in the next 2 years. It's happening all over that leagues are dissolving and starting over. Marlington and Alliance will both be looking for a new league.
Old 11-02-18, 02:04 PM
All World

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm curious what did Youngstown East do to beat Canfield? Did they run or throw successfully? I know the 2 common opponents we both played are running teams. Canfield is huge on both sides of the line but if Marlington can give the qb little time it might not be the blowout everyone thinks. If Marlington can get the offense going it might be closer than people think. Well we can only hope. We'll see in a few hours. Good luck to both teams and hope for zero injuries.
East has speed size and talent all over the field. Tbh if they cleaned up turnovers and penalties they may be one of the top teams in DIV. Even with the mistakes they're a threat. No team will be able to replicate what East did vs Canfield except maybe Akron East. What marlington can do it is play Canfields game. Gap sound football with no mistakes. Prolong drives and burn that clock. Give yourself a chance to win at the end of the game. With that said I have to cheer for the local school in this one. I'll be tuned in on the radio tonight! Go Canfield and hoping for no injuries on either side.
Old 11-02-18, 02:12 PM
All Ohio

COACH_XYZ&12345 is on a distinguished road
Good luck to the Dukes. Wish all Stark County teams success in week 11!
Old 11-02-18, 05:20 PM
Varsity

Dfoxfan37 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Very few teams have the talent Ytown East, also not to make excuses Canfield was down its whole secondary due to injuries. The game was really close and couldíve gone either way. They are probably along with Hubbard and Fitch and WGH the top 5 teams in Mahoning, Trumbull and Colmbiana counties....