Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-02-18, 10:30 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Number of children diagnosed with ADHD in US tops 10 percent

Quote:
The number of children diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder has reached more than 10 percent, a significant increase during the past 20 years, according to a study released Friday.

The rise was most pronounced in minority groups, suggesting that better access to health insurance and mental health treatment through the Affordable Care Act might have played some role in the increase. The rate of diagnosis during that time period doubled in girls, although it was still much lower than in boys.

But the researchers say they found no evidence confirming frequent complaints that the condition is overdiagnosed or misdiagnosed.
Read more:
http://www.examiner-enterprise.com/n...ops-10-percent
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-18, 10:39 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
And there's no evidence that there has been an increase in the condition, as opposed to an increase in the rate of diagnosis. If there's no increase in the condition, it means those kids have always been with us, survived, became productive... without massive government outlays for pharm.

Since we're still at the conspiracy state of understanding, I'm going with overdiagnosed or pop.
Old 09-02-18, 11:44 AM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Over diagnosis for sure. Parents want to blame something for the bad behavior of their kids. Either the parent is a bad parent or the kid is just bad and sometimes both.
Old 09-02-18, 12:43 PM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
I believe a lot of children have it and that over diagnosis isnt the problem. It is the over medication for an extended period of time, without any other plans put in place to deal with the diagnosis. I strongly feel that it is almost used as a crutch/excuse for parents and then then ultimately, the children. What needs to be stressed after diagnosis is how to deal with it and that doesnt necessarily have to be done with a pill. There are probably many who dont need a pill for a prolonged period of time. I think medication can certainly be useful and I am not advocating that kids shouldnt be medicated, however there should be a plan in place to help the kids deal with it so maybe one day they wont need the medication to function and be successful.
Old 09-02-18, 01:39 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Someone hacked hog hunters yappi account.
Old 09-03-18, 10:13 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
I believe a lot of children have it and that over diagnosis isnt the problem. It is the over medication for an extended period of time, without any other plans put in place to deal with the diagnosis. I strongly feel that it is almost used as a crutch/excuse for parents and then then ultimately, the children. What needs to be stressed after diagnosis is how to deal with it and that doesnt necessarily have to be done with a pill. There are probably many who dont need a pill for a prolonged period of time. I think medication can certainly be useful and I am not advocating that kids shouldnt be medicated, however there should be a plan in place to help the kids deal with it so maybe one day they wont need the medication to function and be successful.
In the day, it was called by a different acronym, "personality." It's a thought pattern, if killed will IMO remove an aspect of our creativity. Most of the kids I've seen are medicated to make them functional. They're medicated to make them compliant or comatose.

So I think we agree on most of it.

Kill the pop and the frappacino's and I think we'll see a return to normality.
Old 09-03-18, 10:49 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Over diagnosis for sure. Parents want to blame something for the bad behavior of their kids. Either the parent is a bad parent or the kid is just bad and sometimes both.
this.....sometimes..

I have a private school up the road that specializes in it, among other challenges.

https://www.lawrenceschool.org/about/welcome

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...-has-adhd.html
Old 09-03-18, 10:49 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
In the day, it was called by a different acronym, "personality." It's a thought pattern, if killed will IMO remove an aspect of our creativity. Most of the kids I've seen are medicated to make them functional. They're medicated to make them compliant or comatose.

So I think we agree on most of it.

gluten ?
Old 09-03-18, 12:00 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
And there's no evidence that there has been an increase in the condition, as opposed to an increase in the rate of diagnosis. If there's no increase in the condition, it means those kids have always been with us, survived, became productive... without massive government outlays for pharm.

Since we're still at the conspiracy state of understanding, I'm going with overdiagnosed or pop.
You’re making assumption that diagnosis and treatment of adhd persons won’t increase their productivity and well being.
Old 09-03-18, 12:03 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
There are certainly ways to manage adhd beyond medication.
Old 09-03-18, 01:46 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
In the day, the fat kid in the neighborhood was skinny by today's standards. Even the skinny kids today have a nice little "pop gut." Was not allowed to drink pop when I was a kid. Milk or water. When we had extra money there'd be some OJ in the fridge.

I agree wholeheartedly with the over diagnosed crowd. I also believe it has to do with parents who allow their kids instant gratification. If the kid cries, they beckon. If the kid wants something, they get it. Zero patience, zero discipline, and after all kids attention spans do not have the physical make-up to be zeroed in with laser like focus.
Old 09-03-18, 02:20 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
In the day, the fat kid in the neighborhood was skinny by today's standards. Even the skinny kids today have a nice little "pop gut." Was not allowed to drink pop when I was a kid. Milk or water. When we had extra money there'd be some OJ in the fridge.

I agree wholeheartedly with the over diagnosed crowd. I also believe it has to do with parents who allow their kids instant gratification. If the kid cries, they beckon. If the kid wants something, they get it. Zero patience, zero discipline, and after all kids attention spans do not have the physical make-up to be zeroed in with laser like focus.
I do not always agree with some of your posts...

but this one...

Is spot on!!!

:>---

EGA
Old 09-03-18, 02:45 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
This is almost always a behavioral disorder. Kids could learn to behave, and most do eventually.

They can be easier to manage when they're drugged though.
Old 09-03-18, 02:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
You’re making assumption that diagnosis and treatment of adhd persons won’t increase their productivity and well being.
Made no such assumption. Relayed a personal observation. Made a generalization to avoid a three page response that would nit-pick every specific possibility.

No doubt some correctly diagnosed and correctly medicated, if it even exists, can progress. I've seen only a small percentage of diagnosed and medicated perform functionally. Most might as well be catatonic. Easy to deal with, but academically na da. I've seen a few of those without their medicine, something they often avoid because of how it makes them feel. Not the most socially functional but also perhaps something found that is lost when on the medication.

My point in the first post was to consider that something might be lost, when we designate personality, a disorder to be medicated. As others have posted, there are parents that will use this as a baby-sitter, a panacea for a difficult child, a counter to all the sugar and other crap they let their kid consume....

I've yet to hear a teacher tell me they have a student that is medically proscribed to omit sugar and caffeine in order to combat a personality issue. Watching an "ADHD" kid chug McDonalds frappacinos screams in the head, the system is corrupt. Isn't it funny the much higher incidence of "diagnosed" ADHD in lower economic urban communties? Who knew that growing up with a small lawn could alter genetics.

I've seen personality disorders helped by medication. The ADHD diagnosis? Not so much.
Old 09-03-18, 02:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo
I do not always agree with some of your posts...

but this one...

Is spot on!!!

Uh Oh. You don't understand our culture in this part of our town. Now that you agree with him, he'll be forced to change his opinion just to keep the argument going.
Old 09-03-18, 04:40 PM
All World

^- lol

Dad's belt always got my attention.
Old 09-03-18, 04:51 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Pop took me to the garage (we didn't have a wood shed) every once in awhile.
Never got it that I didn't deserve it.

:>---

EGA
Old 09-03-18, 04:54 PM
All American

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
IDK, man. Back in the day, regularly got my azz beat with “whatever was handy” (as my old man still likes to say). Never forgot the (deserved) bare-azz beatin for me and the fellas throwing rocks through the windows of that school bus. Then, there was the time Pops about knocked me the F out when I tried to sneak in after a late night of teen drinking and carousing (he actually hid in the dark like a ninja). Got into more fistfights than I can even count (usually while defending my brother). Still, was pretty proud of myself when I stopped getting the board at school (in the tenth grade) and really thought I should have gotten a certificate or something.

Makes me wonder, though, what life would have been like if I’d had access to the medications kids have now, considering getting my azz beat and regular groundings weren’t really working to tame my crazy, hyper butt. Had a ball glove put on my hand at the age of two, but even playing baseball, football, and basketball every year made only somewhat of a difference in that it allowed for a certain degree of popularity. Not to mention that I was only permitted to have pop and sugar cereals on Saturdays. Gotta believe there’s more to it, for some kids, than simply lack of discipline or too much sugar.

BTW, no one has ever suggested that I ever had a psychological, emotional, or personality disorder, but a few teachers I currently know have said (after being around me for a spell), “Yeah, I can tell. You were definitely one of those undiagnosed ADHD kids.”

Fortunately for me, I eventually figured it out for myself, without having to serve time in the clinker! But, with medication? Man, life might have been so much less (physically) painful!
Old 09-03-18, 05:30 PM
All Yappi

and those skills you learned "figuring it out?" Never would have happened. How would your life be different?

There's always going to be a bit of Darwin. But kids medicated into lethargy? That doesn't seem like progress to me. I'd much rather more effort in behavior modification or alternate settings, ones with no vending machines making money for people who don't care.
Old 09-03-18, 06:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Made no such assumption. Relayed a personal observation. Made a generalization to avoid a three page response that would nit-pick every specific possibility.

No doubt some correctly diagnosed and correctly medicated, if it even exists, can progress. I've seen only a small percentage of diagnosed and medicated perform functionally. Most might as well be catatonic. Easy to deal with, but academically na da. I've seen a few of those without their medicine, something they often avoid because of how it makes them feel. Not the most socially functional but also perhaps something found that is lost when on the medication.

My point in the first post was to consider that something might be lost, when we designate personality, a disorder to be medicated. As others have posted, there are parents that will use this as a baby-sitter, a panacea for a difficult child, a counter to all the sugar and other crap they let their kid consume....

I've yet to hear a teacher tell me they have a student that is medically proscribed to omit sugar and caffeine in order to combat a personality issue. Watching an "ADHD" kid chug McDonalds frappacinos screams in the head, the system is corrupt. Isn't it funny the much higher incidence of "diagnosed" ADHD in lower economic urban communties? Who knew that growing up with a small lawn could alter genetics.

I've seen personality disorders helped by medication. The ADHD diagnosis? Not so much.
You absolutely did make that assumption.
Old 09-03-18, 07:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
You absolutely did make that assumption.

Pretty sure I know what was in my head. What was in YOUR head that you read into, is on you. And if you feel there was any miscommunication, I think I've clarified it. You want to discuss the topic or not?
Old 09-03-18, 07:56 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballFan1795 View Post
IDK, man. Back in the day, regularly got my azz beat with “whatever was handy” (as my old man still likes to say). Never forgot the (deserved) bare-azz beatin for me and the fellas throwing rocks through the windows of that school bus. Then, there was the time Pops about knocked me the F out when I tried to sneak in after a late night of teen drinking and carousing (he actually hid in the dark like a ninja). Got into more fistfights than I can even count (usually while defending my brother). Still, was pretty proud of myself when I stopped getting the board at school (in the tenth grade) and really thought I should have gotten a certificate or something.

Makes me wonder, though, what life would have been like if I’d had access to the medications kids have now, considering getting my azz beat and regular groundings weren’t really working to tame my crazy, hyper butt. Had a ball glove put on my hand at the age of two, but even playing baseball, football, and basketball every year made only somewhat of a difference in that it allowed for a certain degree of popularity. Not to mention that I was only permitted to have pop and sugar cereals on Saturdays. Gotta believe there’s more to it, for some kids, than simply lack of discipline or too much sugar.

BTW, no one has ever suggested that I ever had a psychological, emotional, or personality disorder, but a few teachers I currently know have said (after being around me for a spell), “Yeah, I can tell. You were definitely one of those undiagnosed ADHD kids.”

Fortunately for me, I eventually figured it out for myself, without having to serve time in the clinker! But, with medication? Man, life might have been so much less (physically) painful!
Sounds like a very normal upbringing. An oldtimer I worked with one time said something like "the only lesson's truly learned are always painful." He was right, and I never forgot that. My mom told me that stove-top was hot but I had to find out for myself.

Doping us up would have changed all that proper learning. lol
Old 09-04-18, 02:37 AM
All American

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Doping us up would have changed all that proper learning. lol
Is this what's wrong with Millennials?
Old 09-04-18, 04:59 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Pretty sure I know what was in my head. What was in YOUR head that you read into, is on you. And if you feel there was any miscommunication, I think I've clarified it. You want to discuss the topic or not?
You made assumption and generalizations based on your superficial limited exposure. It’s stupid to even discuss such a biased observation.
Old 09-04-18, 07:36 AM
All World

Quote:
You made assumption and generalizations based on your superficial limited exposure. It’s stupid to even discuss such a biased observation.
Are you this annoying in real life?
Old 09-04-18, 07:40 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Hey irritable bowel! Seriously though, why would he argue about the assumption he obviously made?
Old 09-04-18, 07:50 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Who knows, maybe scientific advances have led to some discoveries in this area but as a society we seem awfully quick to want to put labels on things and take the easy way out by prescribing a pill for it.
Old 09-04-18, 10:08 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
It's pretty clear he's either looking for something non-related to argue about or he expects every post to be a core-dump of the entire brain. I'm not looking for a keyboard fight. Feels rude to ignore but apparently that's his goal, to be ignored. THAT's an assumption.
Old 09-04-18, 12:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Who knows, maybe scientific advances have led to some discoveries in this area but as a society we seem awfully quick to want to put labels on things and take the easy way out by prescribing a pill for it.
There are non-rx therapies that can help some kids/adults who suffer from adhd and anxiety to focus and calm some of their hyper-activity, namely using big muscles to exert and exhaust themselves. Physical exercise is a powerful ally for the brain and behavior.
Old 09-04-18, 12:48 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
It's pretty clear he's either looking for something non-related to argue about or he expects every post to be a core-dump of the entire brain. I'm not looking for a keyboard fight. Feels rude to ignore but apparently that's his goal, to be ignored. THAT's an assumption.
You made an assumption and got all upset I pointed out it was an assumption used to generalize the issue. Not sure how that means I expect “a core-dump of the brain”....whatever that even means.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: