Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who Wins?
Bama 13 68.42%
DAWGS 6 31.58%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-18, 05:50 PM
All World

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECfb View Post
Who cares?
You asked the question so I guess you do?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-18, 06:08 PM
All American

SECfb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
You asked the question so I guess you do?
Not really just wanted to hear your answer. But it is irrelevant
Old 01-02-18, 06:19 PM
All World

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
just wanted to hear your answer
So you asked a question because you wanted to know the answer, then replied to the answer with "who cares?" As I said, it seems you do.
Old 01-02-18, 06:41 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
So you asked a question because you wanted to know the answer, then replied to the answer with "who cares?" As I said, it seems you do.
Whatever. Georgia vs Alabama, for the National Championship
Old 01-02-18, 07:52 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Whatever. Georgia vs Alabama, for the National Championship
Yawn.
Old 01-02-18, 08:02 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Yawn.
Lol
Old 01-02-18, 08:26 PM
All District

nutsnbolts is on a distinguished road
Rooting for Alabama.
I can’t stop laughing thinking about a national champion that didn’t even win their division of their league.
Old 01-02-18, 08:38 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsnbolts View Post
Rooting for Alabama.
I canít stop laughing thinking about a national champion that didnít even win their division of their league.
Alabama vs Georgia...National Championship
You can laugh all you want
Old 01-03-18, 05:41 AM
All District

Msfootball is on a distinguished road
Reminds me a little bit of 2011 when LSU won the SEC Championship and had to play Bama for the National Championship. Kinda felt bad for that LSU team. They go undefeated, including a road win at Alabama. Bama gets to sit home and rest while LSU has to play another game in the SEC Championship. And what was LSU's reward? Go try and beat Bama a second time.
Old 01-03-18, 06:36 AM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Going with the Bulldogs,learned to be a soldier in Georgia and they have the Masters...Alabama has got nothing,ElStinko offense and a few Fat lineman...Bam!
Old 01-03-18, 08:02 AM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Alabama has the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail!!!
Old 01-03-18, 09:16 AM
All Yappi

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Rooting for Alabama.
I canít stop laughing thinking about a national champion that didnít even win their division of their league.
You probably wouldn't have been laughing if OSU was in the same situation last year.
Old 01-03-18, 11:47 AM
All Ohio

goldentornado is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
You probably wouldn't have been laughing if OSU was in the same situation last year.
Aint that the truth
Old 01-03-18, 03:07 PM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
As I have state before, I don't think being conference champion should be a requirement. So I don't see how that's an issue with Bama.
Old 01-03-18, 03:19 PM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
I rooting for Georgia, but I think Bama's defense will dominate this game.
Old 01-03-18, 03:20 PM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Rooting for Alabama.
Shows the strength of the SEC.
Old 01-03-18, 06:38 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Shows the strength of the SEC.
Come on Red you know better than that. If two of the four playoff teams are from the SEC then odds are decent you will get an all SEC championship game. We need to increase the playoff sample size to at least 8 and preferably 12 to have a realistic chance that the two best teams are playing in the final game.
Old 01-03-18, 07:25 PM
All American

Quote:
Come on Red you know better than that. If two of the four playoff teams are from the SEC then odds are decent you will get an all SEC championship game. We need to increase the playoff sample size to at least 8 and preferably 12 to have a realistic chance that the two best teams are playing in the final game.
The 2 best teams are already playing for the championship. They took the best 4, and it was decided from there. Now if the SEC was so bad this year, like a lot of you Ohio St people think, then why we not seeing Okie vs Clemson for ithe championship?
Old 01-03-18, 07:37 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msfootball View Post
Reminds me a little bit of 2011 when LSU won the SEC Championship and had to play Bama for the National Championship. Kinda felt bad for that LSU team. They go undefeated, including a road win at Alabama. Bama gets to sit home and rest while LSU has to play another game in the SEC Championship. And what was LSU's reward? Go try and beat Bama a second time.
The difference here is Bama, and Georgia did not play during the regular season, or SEC championship. So no rematches
Old 01-03-18, 08:34 PM
All District

Msfootball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The difference here is Bama, and Georgia did not play during the regular season, or SEC championship. So no rematches
True. That's why I said it reminds me "a little" of that. Simply because Bama didn't play in the SEC championship. Also the National Championship was played in LSU's home state. This one is in Georgia's home state. Just felt it should have been LSU vs Oklahoma State that year and LSU kinda got a raw deal having to beat a conference rival twice.

I'll go with Bama here 17-13
Old 01-03-18, 08:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The 2 best teams are already playing for the championship. They took the best 4, and it was decided from there. Now if the SEC was so bad this year, like a lot of you Ohio St people think, then why we not seeing Okie vs Clemson for ithe championship?
A four team playoff can't adequately create a large enough field of the best teams in college football to decide a true champion. Sure it's all we got and we crown a "champ" every year but the sample size is to small.

Because the sample size is so small college football continues to name a champion based more on subjective parameters then performance on the PLAYOFF field. Yes, the current system is better then the BCS approach which in turn was better then the beauty pageants held before that. But an 8 team playoff field would be MUCH better then the current system and a 12 team field even better. I just don't see any rational argument against this.

The sad but simple truth is that among major sports in all of the world FBS college football has the weakest playoff format. No other sport on Earth would rely on such a small sample of their competing teams to select an eventual champion.
Old 01-03-18, 09:18 PM
All American

Quote:
A four team playoff can't adequately create a large enough field of the best teams in college football to decide a true champion. Sure it's all we got and we crown a "champ" every year but the sample size is to small.

Because the sample size is so small college football continues to name a champion based more on subjective parameters then performance on the PLAYOFF field. Yes, the current system is better then the BCS approach which in turn was better then the beauty pageants held before that. But an 8 team playoff field would be MUCH better then the current system and a 12 team field even better. I just don't see any rational argument against this.

The sad but simple truth is that among major sports in all of the world FBS college football has the weakest playoff format. No other sport on Earth would rely on such a small sample of their competing teams to select an eventual champion.
I remember telling you before, I would be all in,
for a 8 or even 16 team tourney. Watching playoff games in the middle of December, and over Christmas would be great, but it is not happening for a long time.

It what it is for now. They give you a final 4, have 2 semi final bowl games deciding who plays for the national championship. Believe if your team is that good, you will be in the 4 teams. So yes, we still have a true champion. They got the best 4 in, this year.
Old 01-03-18, 11:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I remember telling you before, I would be all in,
for a 8 or even 16 team tourney. Watching playoff games in the middle of December, and over Christmas would be great, but it is not happening for a long time.

It what it is for now. They give you a final 4, have 2 semi final bowl games deciding who plays for the national championship. Believe if your team is that good, you will be in the 4 teams. So yes, we still have a true champion. They got the best 4 in, this year.
If you're a football fan you can't honestly belief this. I get it's the system we have and it's better then the past chaos. But to claim that the way they choose those final 4 teams is without error is laughable to anyone who has ever followed football at any level.

I suspect that if you had replaced the 4 team playoff system from day 1 with a 16 team field the final 4 in EVERY one of the years since the playoffs were rolled out would have been different then the final 4 the Committee came up with. For the FINAL FOUR to mean anything it must be earned by victory ON THE PLAYOFF FIELD! And don't tell me they played a season on the field to get to that point. The season is played to make the playoffs and I can't think of a single major sport where the playoffs start off at the final 4. It's ludicrous.
Old 01-04-18, 12:07 AM
All American

Quote:
If you're a football fan you can't honestly belief this. I get it's the system we have and it's better then the past chaos. But to claim that the way they choose those final 4 teams is without error is laughable to anyone who has ever followed football at any level.

I suspect that if you had replaced the 4 team playoff system from day 1 with a 16 team field the final 4 in EVERY one of the years since the playoffs were rolled out would have been different then the final 4 the Committee came up with. For the FINAL FOUR to mean anything it must be earned by victory ON THE PLAYOFF FIELD! And don't tell me they played a season on the field to get to that point. The season is played to make the playoffs and I can't think of a single major sport where the playoffs start off at the final 4. It's ludicrous.
It might have been stupid to you the way the committee went about it, but they got the best 4 teams. Sorry, don't see anyone better then those 4. Now if you had a playoff with 8, I am not saying one of the other4 teams that were in could not spring an upset. But I would bet those 4 that they picked would be favorites over the 5-8 seeds.
Old 01-04-18, 08:59 AM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msfootball View Post
that's the BAMA way
Old 01-04-18, 09:00 AM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It might have been stupid to you the way the committee went about it, but they got the best 4 teams. Sorry, don't see anyone better then those 4. Now if you had a playoff with 8, I am not saying one of the other4 teams that were in could not spring an upset. But I would bet those 4 that they picked would be favorites over the 5-8 seeds.
I dpn't think they did.....and just think Auburn was thought of as a TOP team not to long ago.....the SHINE has come off the SEC this year
Old 01-04-18, 09:17 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
I dpn't think they did.....and just think Auburn was thought of as a TOP team not to long ago.....the SHINE has come off the SEC this year
Yes they did LOL. The shine must still be there.. because guess what? Alabama vs Georgia National Championship.. Monday night
Old 01-04-18, 06:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
No they didn't and any football fan knows this. The sample is to small. Heck just look at how crappy the committee has been just picking the 4 playoff teams:

Let's take a look at how well the committee did in seeding teams in the event that ONLY two teams got in - sort of like back in the BCS days. If the committee knew what they were doing their #1 & #2 seeds should almost always be playing for the national title. But when you look at what happened when decided on the field:

2014: #2 versus #4 with #4 winning the title.

2015: #1 versus #2

2016: #1 versus #2

2017: #3 versus #4.

That stinks! In half the playoff series played so far the committee didn't come close to getting it right. And if we still had the BCS two team system, which I'm sure you would be defending, they would have gotten the top two teams wrong in 2 of the last 4 years!

So please don't tell me that they got the top 4 teams right because if they can't get the top 2 teams right half the time why are you so confident they are getting the top 4 teams right? Is your confidence based on faith? I have heard that down in SEC country college football is a form of religion.
Old 01-04-18, 07:00 PM
All American

Quote:
No they didn't and any football fan knows this. The sample is to small. Heck just look at how crappy the committee has been just picking the 4 playoff teams:

Let's take a look at how well the committee did in seeding teams in the event that ONLY two teams got in - sort of like back in the BCS days. If the committee knew what they were doing their #1 & #2 seeds should almost always be playing for the national title. But when you look at what happened when decided on the field:

2014: #2 versus #4 with #4 winning the title.

2015: #1 versus #2

2016: #1 versus #2

2017: #3 versus #4.

That stinks! In half the playoff series played so far the committee didn't come close to getting it right. And if we still had the BCS two team system, which I'm sure you would be defending, they would have gotten the top two teams wrong in 2 of the last 4 years!

So please don't tell me that they got the top 4 teams right because if they can't get the top 2 teams right half the time why are you so confident they are getting the top 4 teams right? Is your confidence based on faith? I have heard that down in SEC country college football is a form of religion.
I did not say the seeding was perfect, I said the best 4 teams were picked. I told you how I felt about having an expanded playoff, but it is not happening for now, and you keep going on and on with the same stuff. It is what it is.
Old 01-04-18, 07:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
One more thing. I think you confuse the committee getting their screwy subjective playoff system right and whether that system means anything when games are decided on the field. Sure, I agree that based on the committee's faulty & subjective reasoning, they got the correct 4 teams in their goofy system.

But what I disagree with is your notion that this system is capable of identifying a true champion in the sense of what constitutes established playoff practice at all other levels of football. Whether compared to high school, lower level college football or the pros, the FBS playoff sample is to small.

This IMO leads to a simple truth: if the FBS used a more rational # of teams for their playoffs thereby increasing the contribution of ON THE FIELD performance to determining a true champion, you would as often see the #5 - 12 seeds win the title as you would the #1 - 4 seeds.