Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-12-19, 03:05 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Division I Regions

Region 1:
Berea-Midpark (Berea)
Brunswick (Brunswick)
Canton Mckinley Senior (Canton)
Cleveland Heights (Cleveland Heights)
Elyria (Elyria)
Euclid (Euclid)
Glenoak (Canton)
Jackson (Massillon)
Lorain (Lorain)
Medina (Medina)
Mentor (Mentor)
Newark (Newark)
Shaker Heights (Shaker Heights)
Solon (Solon)
St Edward (Lakewood)
St Ignatius (Cleveland)
Stow-Munroe Falls (Stow)
Strongsville (Strongsville)

Region 2:
Beavercreek (Beavercreek)
Bowsher (Toledo)
Centerville (Centerville)
Delaware Hayes (Delaware)
Dublin Coffman (Dublin)
Dublin Jerome (Dublin)
Findlay (Findlay)
Hilliard Bradley (Hilliard)
Kettering Fairmont (Kettering)
Marysville (Marysville)
Miamisburg (Miamisburg)
Northmont (Clayton)
Perrysburg (Perrysburg)
Springboro (Springboro)
Springfield (Springfield)
Start (Toledo)
Wayne (Huber Heights)
Whitmer (Toledo)

Region 3:
Central Crossing (Grove City)
Gahanna Lincoln (Gahanna)
Grove City (Grove City)
Groveport Madison (Groveport)
Hilliard Darby (Hilliard)
Hilliard Davidson (Hilliard)
Lancaster (Lancaster)
New Albany (New Albany)
Olentangy Liberty (Powell)
Olentangy Orange (Lewis Center)
Pickerington Central (Pickerington)
Pickerington North (Pickerington)
Reynoldsburg (Reynoldsburg)
Thomas Worthington (Worthington)
Upper Arlington (Columbus)
Westerville Central (Westerville)
Westerville North (Westerville)
Westland (Galloway)

Region 4:
Archbishop Moeller (Cincinnati)
Colerain (Cincinnati)
Elder (Cincinnati)
Fairfield (Fairfield)
Hamilton (Hamilton)
Lakota East (Liberty Township)
Lakota West (West Chester)
Lebanon (Lebanon)
Mason (Mason)
Middletown (Middletown)
Milford (Milford)
Oak Hills (Cincinnati)
Princeton (Cincinnati)
St Xavier (Cincinnati)
Sycamore (Cincinnati)
Walnut Hills (Cincinnati)
West Clermont (Cincinnati)
Western Hills (Cincinnati)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-19, 04:37 PM
Controller

EagleFan has a spectacular aura aboutEagleFan has a spectacular aura about
I'm going to need to see these on a map
Old 06-12-19, 04:51 PM
All American

AtownFalcon201
Looks like Region 2 is the “close to I-75 Toledo and Dayton” + “most Northwestern Columbus suburbs” region.
Old 06-12-19, 06:59 PM
Junior Varsity

The grey mouse is on a distinguished road
Newark in Region 1?
Old 06-14-19, 06:44 AM
Controller

Looks like they stuck with 18 teams per region. Unfortunately there are 17 D I teams in NE Ohio. (Fitch moved down) SO they either had to go with 17 in one region, 19 in R3, or one team had to join R1. Looking at map Newark certainly might be the closest as the crow flies.

If that 18th team was Delaware Hayes, Findlay, or one of the Olentany's we'd be having the same discussion.

I would have just let the regions be unbalanced.
Old 06-14-19, 07:32 AM
All American

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Looks like they stuck with 18 teams per region. Unfortunately there are 17 D I teams in NE Ohio. (Fitch moved down) SO they either had to go with 17 in one region, 19 in R3, or one team had to join R1. Looking at map Newark certainly might be the closest as the crow flies.

If that 18th team was Delaware Hayes, Findlay, or one of the Olentany's we'd be having the same discussion.

Good points. A fair amount of teams in R1 are from Medina and Stark counties so the potential drive for round one matchups would not be as far for Newark as Cuyahoga/Lake/Lorain.

Unless I am mistaken, it is also pretty fascinating that Stow-Munroe Falls is the only D1 high school in Summit County, which ranks 4th in the state in overall population after the 3Cs (Hamilton/Cuyahoga/Franklin).

The travel for the Metro Columbus or Dayton schools in R2 to the campuses in Metro Toledo (or vice-versa) are comparable.

Last edited by OUcats82; 06-14-19 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-14-19, 01:08 PM
All Region

Walt is on a distinguished road
With the Dayton area teams moving to Region 2, is there any chance that they shake up the semifinal match ups? Typically the Region 1 champ plays the Region 2 champ, and in the other semifinal Region 3 play Region 4.

If a Dayton area team wins R2, might they have R2 play R4 in one semi and R1 play R3 in the other?
Old 06-14-19, 02:51 PM
All American

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
With the Dayton area teams moving to Region 2, is there any chance that they shake up the semifinal match ups? Typically the Region 1 champ plays the Region 2 champ, and in the other semifinal Region 3 play Region 4.

If a Dayton area team wins R2, might they have R2 play R4 in one semi and R1 play R3 in the other?
The only shakeup that I can remember was in 1995 when R1 played R3 and R2 played R4.

I believe the field expanded to 8 in 1999 and I cannot remember an instance where they strayed from the 1-2 and 3-4 number seeds playing in each division. Not saying it didn't happen-just none come to my mind.

Certainly have been plenty of instances where it made more sense to have a reshuffle from a travel standpoint.

They have to draw the lines somewhere I guess.
Old 06-15-19, 06:59 AM
Freshman

lancaster90 is on a distinguished road
I think this balancing of regions is a joke. I am not a Newark fan but they should be steaming mad about this regional assignment. Even though it is a long shot for Newark to make the playoffs, they should not have to travel close to two hours for a potential 1st round playoff game. Plus, what was wrong with keeping the assignments from a year ago. Just flip some teams around if a school goes up or down a Division. It not hard to do. Sometimes too much thought gets put into these decisions.

I have a thought, why don't we go to 8 regions per division with only four teams qualifying for the playoffs that way schools do not have to travel as far. Still have the same amount of teams the qualify for the playoffs. And each team might not have to make a long trip for a game until the third week of the playoffs. This could make it easier for the regional assignments to be made and potentially not have a school travel two of three hours for a 1st or possibly 2nd round game.
Old 06-15-19, 07:30 AM
Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancaster90 View Post
Plus, what was wrong with keeping the assignments from a year ago. Just flip some teams around if a school goes up or down a Division. It not hard to do. Sometimes too much thought gets put into these decisions.
In the case of Region 1 that is just what they did. Fitch moved down, Newark moved into the region
Old 06-15-19, 08:41 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
I don't have the means to adjust harbins on all last year's schedules for new division assignments but based on last year's harbins,

Whitmer moves from 2018 R2 #3 to 2019 R2 #8. Start is out and Miamisburg moves in. I don't see anyone in the new R3 that made it past 3rd round in 2018. Several teams glad to leave Pick Central behind.

On paper, longest drive looks no change, 2018 Start to Reynoldsburg 152mi, 2019 Whitmer to Northmont 148mi but swaps hwy 23 and the Columbus by-pass for straight 75. WIN!
Old 06-15-19, 09:59 AM
All American

mustang fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
...I have a thought, why don't we go to 8 regions per division with only four teams qualifying for the playoffs that way schools do not have to travel as far. Still have the same amount of teams the qualify for the playoffs. And each team might not have to make a long trip for a game until the third week of the playoffs. This could make it easier for the regional assignments to be made and potentially not have a school travel two of three hours for a 1st or possibly 2nd round game.
I'm kind of intrigued by this idea for the reasons cited...Anybody care to attempt to to take a stab at what the alignment would look like for each region?
Old 06-15-19, 10:26 AM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I think this balancing of regions is a joke. I am not a Newark fan but they should be steaming mad about this regional assignment. Even though it is a long shot for Newark to make the playoffs, they should not have to travel close to two hours for a potential 1st round playoff game. Plus, what was wrong with keeping the assignments from a year ago. Just flip some teams around if a school goes up or down a Division. It not hard to do. Sometimes too much thought gets put into these decisions.

I have a thought, why don't we go to 8 regions per division with only four teams qualifying for the playoffs that way schools do not have to travel as far. Still have the same amount of teams the qualify for the playoffs. And each team might not have to make a long trip for a game until the third week of the playoffs. This could make it easier for the regional assignments to be made and potentially not have a school travel two of three hours for a 1st or possibly 2nd round game.
Win all of your games and you don't have to travel.... they come to you.
Old 06-15-19, 12:48 PM
All Region

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The travel is a by product of having 7 division and with D1 only having 72 teams.

When the people were forming the city's in Ohio 200+ years ago they should have formed the largest school districts in nearby groups of 18 to avoid football teams having to travel for their first round games. I blame them them not OSHAA.
Old 06-15-19, 07:59 PM
All Region

Walt is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Or.... my solution would be to just take the top 32 teams in each division and assign regions AFTER the playoff teams are determined....sort of like the NCAA hoops tournament. Get the teams then divide them up into 4 regions.
Old 06-18-19, 10:56 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

I'm looking at Joe Eitel from last year and it looks like there were 71 DI teams instead of 72. Is that correct? If so, I totally missed that. I agree that it is better to leave the regions unbalanced if it means making things more geographical.