Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-12-19, 01:05 PM
kingpin2010 kingpin2010 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-27-10
Location: McDonald, OH
Posts: 4,850
kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
2019 D7 Region 25

CATHOLIC CENTRAL (Steubenville)
CHALKER (Southington)
CONOTTON VALLEY (Bowerston)
CUYAHOGA HEIGHTS
DANVILLE
DAVID ANDERSON (Lisbon)
FAIRPORT HARDING
INDEPENDENCE
JACKSON-MILTON
JOHN F KENNEDY (Warren)
LEETONIA
LOWELLVILLE
LUCAS
MALVERN
MATHEWS
MCDONALD
NEWBURY
RICHMOND HEIGHTS
SEBRING MCKINLEY
SOUTH CENTRAL (Greenwich)
ST JOHN SCHOOL (Ashtabula)
ST THOMAS AQUINAS (Louisville)
STRASBURG-FRANKLIN
TORONTO
TUSCARAWAS CENTRAL CATHOLIC (New Philadelphia)
VALLEY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Youngstown)
WELLSVILLE
WINDHAM


The 2 favorites gotta be Cuyahoga Heights and JFK. Cuyahoga Heights is looking to capture their 3rd straight R25 title (and 4th overall). JFK was a regional finalist last year and won the region in 2016. From what i can gather both return big chunks of their teams.

Lucas and McDonald both are newcomers to the region and will be threats. McDonald would’ve had a strong chance to win this region last year had they been in it, but will have a lot of holes to fill going into 2019. Lucas was a regional finalist in R27 last year, I’m not sure what they return however.

Here’s who I have as the Playoff contenders (no specific order):
Steubenville CC
Cuyahoga Heights
Danville
Independence
JFK
Lucas
McDonald
South Central
Toronto
Valley Christian
Windham
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 06-12-19, 01:47 PM
Jaws31 Jaws31 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-25-16
Posts: 665
Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
Stuebenville CC and Windham lose a ton. I really dont think either one will be in contention. Valley will be pretty good. I know very little about Independence. Lucas is usually tough. It should be a good region.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-12-19, 02:17 PM
kingpin2010 kingpin2010 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-27-10
Location: McDonald, OH
Posts: 4,850
kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws31 View Post
Stuebenville CC and Windham lose a ton. I really dont think either one will be in contention. Valley will be pretty good. I know very little about Independence. Lucas is usually tough. It should be a good region.
I had heard that about SCC, but they’ve been solid for a long while and coming off a playoff appearance I gave them the benefit of doubt. Windham I think just plays such a bad schedule they can win enough to get a top 8 harbin score

As for Independence they are usually pretty good, fringe playoff team the last few years in R21. They almost beat CH in 2017.

Didn’t Valley lose Square? He will be hard to replace.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-12-19, 02:24 PM
Jaws31 Jaws31 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-25-16
Posts: 665
Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
I had heard that about SCC, but they’ve been solid for a long while and coming off a playoff appearance I gave them the benefit of doubt. Windham I think just plays such a bad schedule they can win enough to get a top 8 harbin score

As for Independence they are usually pretty good, fringe playoff team the last few years in R21. They almost beat CH in 2017.

Didn’t Valley lose Square? He will be hard to replace.
SCC was very senior heavy last year. Same with Windham but you are right about their schedule. Valley did lose a few good players but will always have the athletes to compete, plus they play the type of schedule that can prepare them for the playoffs, if they can get in.

St. John was a playoff team last year but their QB transferred and they might struggle this year.

I know McDonald is going to count on a couple young guys in key positions but they are good kids and I expect them to be tough as well.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-12-19, 03:08 PM
kingpin2010 kingpin2010 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-27-10
Location: McDonald, OH
Posts: 4,850
kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws31 View Post
SCC was very senior heavy last year. Same with Windham but you are right about their schedule. Valley did lose a few good players but will always have the athletes to compete, plus they play the type of schedule that can prepare them for the playoffs, if they can get in.

St. John was a playoff team last year but their QB transferred and they might struggle this year.

I know McDonald is going to count on a couple young guys in key positions but they are good kids and I expect them to be tough as well.
That is true about VCS, I honestly was a bit surprised they lost to Mapleton in the playoffs.

I didn’t include St John because they are usually really bad every year, last year seemed like an aberration.

McDonald skill positions should still be really good with returners getting expanded roles and young kids coming up. Up front is the big issue/question, only return 1 starter from last year and a 2017 starter who was injured all last year. They’ll get thrown directly into the fire too, Brookfield, Columbiana, Crestview, and Reserve 4 of the first 5 weeks of the season.

Last edited by kingpin2010; 06-12-19 at 08:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-12-19, 10:19 PM
gyea36 gyea36 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-12-09
Posts: 176
gyea36 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws31 View Post
SCC was very senior heavy last year. Same with Windham but you are right about their schedule. Valley did lose a few good players but will always have the athletes to compete, plus they play the type of schedule that can prepare them for the playoffs, if they can get in.

St. John was a playoff team last year but their QB transferred and they might struggle this year.

I know McDonald is going to count on a couple young guys in key positions but they are good kids and I expect them to be tough as well.
Where did the St. John qb transfer to?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-13-19, 03:14 AM
nupanther nupanther is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-24-10
Location: Youngstown
Posts: 1,047
nupanther is on a distinguished road
For Valley, yes they lost Square, but the upcoming QB started at DB and saw plenty of action at WR. Plus he was on the 4x100 that placed 4th in the state.
The Mapleton playoff game was strange. A onside kick, fumble and a 3 and out. 21-0 early 1st quarter. After that the game was pretty even. They had a prolific passing game with a QB with gaudy career numbers.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-13-19, 03:16 AM
nupanther nupanther is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-24-10
Location: Youngstown
Posts: 1,047
nupanther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyea36 View Post
Where did the St. John qb transfer to?
I'm pretty sure I read hes going to Geneva. Primarily a wrestling move
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-13-19, 07:20 AM
Jaws31 Jaws31 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-25-16
Posts: 665
Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyea36 View Post
Where did the St. John qb transfer to?
Geneva. He is a bigtime wrestler and I saw an article someone posted on here about him transferring.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-13-19, 11:03 AM
dnis30 dnis30 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-17-18
Posts: 137
dnis30 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
CATHOLIC CENTRAL (Steubenville)
CHALKER (Southington)
CONOTTON VALLEY (Bowerston)
CUYAHOGA HEIGHTS
DANVILLE
DAVID ANDERSON (Lisbon)
FAIRPORT HARDING
INDEPENDENCE
JACKSON-MILTON
JOHN F KENNEDY (Warren)
LEETONIA
LOWELLVILLE
LUCAS
MALVERN
MATHEWS
MCDONALD
NEWBURY
RICHMOND HEIGHTS
SEBRING MCKINLEY
SOUTH CENTRAL (Greenwich)
ST JOHN SCHOOL (Ashtabula)
ST THOMAS AQUINAS (Louisville)
STRASBURG-FRANKLIN
TORONTO
TUSCARAWAS CENTRAL CATHOLIC (New Philadelphia)
VALLEY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Youngstown)
WELLSVILLE
WINDHAM


The 2 favorites gotta be Cuyahoga Heights and JFK. Cuyahoga Heights is looking to capture their 3rd straight R25 title (and 4th overall). JFK was a regional finalist last year and won the region in 2016. From what i can gather both return big chunks of their teams.

Lucas and McDonald both are newcomers to the region and will be threats. McDonald would’ve had a strong chance to win this region last year had they been in it, but will have a lot of holes to fill going into 2019. Lucas was a regional finalist in R27 last year, I’m not sure what they return however.

Here’s who I have as the Playoff contenders (no specific order):
Steubenville CC
Cuyahoga Heights
Danville
Independence
JFK
Lucas
McDonald
South Central
Toronto
Valley Christian
Windham
Last year Lucas lost to Glouster Trimble in the final 14 seconds of the R27 final. Trimble went on to trounce the R25 winner. Do not sleep on Lucas. In 2018 they played a top 5 schedule in D7, this year, they may have THE hardest schedules in D7. They return their All-Ohio QB and have a ton of talent coming back.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-13-19, 11:35 AM
kingpin2010 kingpin2010 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-27-10
Location: McDonald, OH
Posts: 4,850
kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnis30 View Post
Last year Lucas lost to Glouster Trimble in the final 14 seconds of the R27 final. Trimble went on to trounce the R25 winner. Do not sleep on Lucas. In 2018 they played a top 5 schedule in D7, this year, they may have THE hardest schedules in D7. They return their All-Ohio QB and have a ton of talent coming back.
Not sleeping on Lucas, otherwise I wouldn’t have mentioned them. Just don’t have a lot of information since they are pretty much central Ohio. Can only look back at results, which were impressive last year, especially the win over LCC. That said I see Lucas is traveling to Labrae this year, should be interesting to see them in the area.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-13-19, 11:43 AM
dnis30 dnis30 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-17-18
Posts: 137
dnis30 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
Not sleeping on Lucas, otherwise I wouldn’t have mentioned them. Just don’t have a lot of information since they are pretty much central Ohio. Can only look back at results, which were impressive last year, especially the win over LCC. That said I see Lucas is traveling to Labrae this year, should be interesting to see them in the area.
I didn't mean you specifically. Lol. What should Lucas expect from LeBrae? A lot bigger school than Lucas no doubt.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-13-19, 12:10 PM
kingpin2010 kingpin2010 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-27-10
Location: McDonald, OH
Posts: 4,850
kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnis30 View Post
I didn't mean you specifically. Lol. What should Lucas expect from LeBrae? A lot bigger school than Lucas no doubt.
I’m not sure. They had a really good team last year with an explosive offense, but injuries, especially to their QB at the end of the year hurt them. Not sure what they return but it’s a program that even in “down” years is a solid 6-4 type team
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-13-19, 12:28 PM
dnis30 dnis30 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-17-18
Posts: 137
dnis30 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
I’m not sure. They had a really good team last year with an explosive offense, but injuries, especially to their QB at the end of the year hurt them. Not sure what they return but it’s a program that even in “down” years is a solid 6-4 type team
The Lucas schedule is a real meat grinder:

08/30: @ Danville
09/06: @ Centerburg
09/13: Galion Northmor (DVI)
09/20: Troy Christian (DVI)
09/27: @ Willard (DV)
10/04: Steubenville Catholic Central (DVI)
10/11: Columbus St. Charles (DII)
10/18: @ Lancaster Fisher Catholic
10/25: @ Leavittsburg LaBrae (DV)
11/01: Lima Central Catholic (DVI)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-13-19, 12:33 PM
Interloper Interloper is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 09-05-07
Posts: 45
Interloper is on a distinguished road
SCC is DIV VII
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-13-19, 05:29 PM
FirestoneFan FirestoneFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-02-02
Location: Suffield
Posts: 5,598
FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
MCDONALD
LUCAS
CUYAHOGA HEIGHTS
CATHOLIC CENTRAL (Steubenville)
JOHN F KENNEDY (Warren)
DANVILLE
VALLEY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Youngstown)
SOUTH CENTRAL (Greenwich)
INDEPENDENCE
TORONTO
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-14-19, 07:38 AM
dnis30 dnis30 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-17-18
Posts: 137
dnis30 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interloper View Post
SCC is DIV VII
Ok. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-14-19, 09:06 AM
Mr. Slippery's Avatar
Mr. Slippery Mr. Slippery is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: Slippery Rock
Posts: 19,239
Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnis30 View Post
The Lucas schedule is a real meat grinder:

08/30: @ Danville (DVII)
09/06: @ Centerburg (DVI)
09/13: Galion Northmor (DVI)
09/20: Troy Christian (DVI)
09/27: @ Willard (DV)
10/04: Steubenville Catholic Central (DVII)
10/11: Columbus St. Charles (DII)
10/18: @ Lancaster Fisher Catholic (DVII)
10/25: @ Leavittsburg LaBrae (DV)
11/01: Lima Central Catholic (DVI)
Added in all the missing divisional assignments above. I think Lucas can find at least 5 wins on that schedule which should be enough to get them into the R25 playoffs.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-14-19, 10:13 AM
kingpin2010 kingpin2010 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-27-10
Location: McDonald, OH
Posts: 4,850
kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Added in all the missing divisional assignments above. I think Lucas can find at least 5 wins on that schedule which should be enough to get them into the R25 playoffs.
Labrae is D6
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-14-19, 10:47 AM
dnis30 dnis30 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-17-18
Posts: 137
dnis30 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Added in all the missing divisional assignments above. I think Lucas can find at least 5 wins on that schedule which should be enough to get them into the R25 playoffs.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-14-19, 01:38 PM
kingpin2010 kingpin2010 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-27-10
Location: McDonald, OH
Posts: 4,850
kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Added in all the missing divisional assignments above. I think Lucas can find at least 5 wins on that schedule which should be enough to get them into the R25 playoffs.
I do think this region should be a bit tougher to get into the post season than the last 2 years, so I think 5-5 could be cutting it close.

That said I’ll be surprised if the winner of this region isn’t one of the 4 of JFK, CH, Lucas, or McDonald.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-21-19, 12:58 PM
dnis30 dnis30 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-17-18
Posts: 137
dnis30 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
I do think this region should be a bit tougher to get into the post season than the last 2 years, so I think 5-5 could be cutting it close.

That said I’ll be surprised if the winner of this region isn’t one of the 4 of JFK, CH, Lucas, or McDonald.
I think Steubenville CC could be in the mix too. I would rank them:

1) Lucas
2) Warren JFK
3) Cuyahoga Heights
4) McDonald
5) Steubenville CC
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-21-19, 01:26 PM
dnis30 dnis30 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-17-18
Posts: 137
dnis30 is on a distinguished road
Cal Preps ranked them:

1. Lucas (OH) Mid-Buckeye 6.4
2. McDonald (OH) Mahoning Valley 5.5
3. Cuyahoga Heights (Cleveland, OH) Chagrin Valley - Metro 2.4
4. Kennedy [John F.] (Warren, OH) North Coast - White 0.0
5. Catholic Central (Steubenville, OH) Ohio Valley AA 0.0
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-24-19, 02:43 PM
kingpin2010 kingpin2010 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-27-10
Location: McDonald, OH
Posts: 4,850
kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnis30 View Post
I think Steubenville CC could be in the mix too. I would rank them:

1) Lucas
2) Warren JFK
3) Cuyahoga Heights
4) McDonald
5) Steubenville CC
SCC is usually pretty solid, but they are losing a ton off an already small roster and turmoil around their program. I originally had them in my playoff contenders but after doing some research I don’t think so. But who really knows until they play the games.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-24-19, 03:27 PM
Summa Summa is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-30-08
Posts: 2,001
Summa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
SCC is usually pretty solid, but they are losing a ton off an already small roster and turmoil around their program. I originally had them in my playoff contenders but after doing some research I don’t think so. But who really knows until they play the games.
SCC's roster numbers last year (2018):

Sr. - 10
Jr. - 11
So. - 2
Fr. - 5

If the numbers stay the same that would be only 18 varsity players for 2019. I would assume they will pick up some extra players for this season.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-24-19, 03:40 PM
gyea36 gyea36 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-12-09
Posts: 176
gyea36 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
SCC's roster numbers last year (2018):

Sr. - 10
Jr. - 11
So. - 2
Fr. - 5

If the numbers stay the same that would be only 18 varsity players for 2019. I would assume they will pick up some extra players for this season.
That's brutal. They have always fielded a tough team.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-24-19, 04:04 PM
Jaws31 Jaws31 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-25-16
Posts: 665
Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
SCC's roster numbers last year (2018):

Sr. - 10
Jr. - 11
So. - 2
Fr. - 5

If the numbers stay the same that would be only 18 varsity players for 2019. I would assume they will pick up some extra players for this season.
SCC, from what I have been hearing, is going to be really down. We have played them regularly for years until they dropped us for the upcoming season. They may have gotten a few players to come in but I really don't think they are going to be a factor in the playoff race.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-24-19, 04:39 PM
big medicine big medicine is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-20-10
Posts: 374
big medicine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnis30 View Post
Last year Lucas lost to Glouster Trimble in the final 14 seconds of the R27 final. Trimble went on to trounce the R25 winner. Do not sleep on Lucas. In 2018 they played a top 5 schedule in D7, this year, they may have THE hardest schedules in D7. They return their All-Ohio QB and have a ton of talent coming back.
I don't know, pretty big jump in numbers from the fifth toughest schedule in D7 to the teams at the top of that D7 list. You would probably need to schedule Mogadore and Kirtland to match the schedules that test the smaller MAC schools. Last year the 10 MAC schools had the 1 and 4 rankings on this list in D5. 1,2,3,4,5 in D6, and 1.2. and 4 in D7.
http://fantastic50.net/toughest.html

Last edited by big medicine; 06-24-19 at 05:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-24-19, 06:03 PM
Flying Wedge Flying Wedge is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-12-07
Posts: 261
Flying Wedge is on a distinguished road
JFK is finding it difficult to fill out a full ten game schedule (not uncommon for the Eagles) this year. However, this may not be a bad thing for the school. Almost like a bye in the NFL which may help injuries to heal.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OHSAA Announces Football State Semifinal Bracket Pairings Yappi Football 27 11-15-18 10:46 PM
07/11 - 2018 American Legion Ohio State Tournaments seclmw Baseball 3 07-12-18 01:43 PM
OHSAA Announces Football State Semifinal Bracket Pairings - Except DIII and DVI Yappi Football 27 11-17-17 11:13 PM
2017 Softball Regional Pairings Yappi Softball 22 05-27-17 08:43 PM
2017 OHSAA Baseball Regional Pairings Yappi Baseball 7 05-23-17 10:22 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz