Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-04-19, 11:10 AM
All American

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Who has the best coaching staff in SW Ohio

Iíd assume Centerville, Wayne, Moeller and St. X have the best coaching staffs of the bigger schools, but what about smaller schools? Tippecanoe has 4 coaches on staff with head coaching experience, including a hall of fame coach, and all 4 have been to the playoffs as a head coach. Matt Burgbacher, Charlie Burgbacher, Rick Robertson, and Joel Derge
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-19, 11:43 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Best coaches or best recruiters?
Old 06-04-19, 12:42 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Best coaches or best recruiters?
Best overall coaching staff, with the best resumes
Old 06-04-19, 12:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
Best overall coaching staff, with the best resumes
I guess I would have to go with the coaching staffs of the teams that have been the most successful the last 10 years.
Old 06-04-19, 06:24 PM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Marion local because they have the best overall coach IMO. Itís not just about the titles.... Goodwin is one heck of a coach all around
Old 06-04-19, 11:23 PM
All Ohio

HomeRunsNDunks is on a distinguished road
Tipp City.

There, are you happy?
Old 06-05-19, 07:21 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeRunsNDunks View Post
Tipp City.

There, are you happy?
I concur. Tipp is great.

Tippecanoe has 4 coaches on staff with head coaching experience, including a hall of fame coach, and all 4 have been to the playoffs as a head coach. Matt Burgbacher, Charlie Burgbacher, Rick Robertson, and Joel Derge.

I would like to open it up to the whole state as they are easily the best in SW Ohio. I would go to 3 in the state easily.
Old 06-05-19, 07:48 AM
All Ohio

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
This could be quite an interesting thread. What determines "Best?" Is it just Wins and Losses? State Titles? There are some quite terrible coaches with quite a few wins and some state titles as well, but they just rode the talent they had and managed not to screw it up. There are also some amazing phenomenal staffs who have little to no talent at all, but they get their kids to play above their potential. They coach their kids up and they play near flawless football technique wise each and every week, at all positions across the board, but they get "out athleted" most weeks. Then there are coaches and staffs that go way above and beyond.... taking players to and from practice all over the city, feeding & clothing players out of their own pockets, housing players when they become homeless (I'm not talking about the Massilon situation here), and provide a true moral compass for these young players to become truly respectable members of society; being a true role model for these young men.

So, this thread could go many different ways, just my 2 cents.
Old 06-05-19, 08:47 AM
All District

20yearcoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Iíd assume Centerville, Wayne, Moeller and St. X have the best coaching staffs of the bigger schools, but what about smaller schools? Tippecanoe has 4 coaches on staff with head coaching experience, including a hall of fame coach, and all 4 have been to the playoffs as a head coach. Matt Burgbacher, Charlie Burgbacher, Rick Robertson, and Joel Derge
I thought Joel stepped down?
Old 06-05-19, 12:04 PM
All American

warriorpops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
This could be quite an interesting thread. What determines "Best?" Is it just Wins and Losses? State Titles? There are some quite terrible coaches with quite a few wins and some state titles as well, but they just rode the talent they had and managed not to screw it up. There are also some amazing phenomenal staffs who have little to no talent at all, but they get their kids to play above their potential. They coach their kids up and they play near flawless football technique wise each and every week, at all positions across the board, but they get "out athleted" most weeks. Then there are coaches and staffs that go way above and beyond.... taking players to and from practice all over the city, feeding & clothing players out of their own pockets, housing players when they become homeless (I'm not talking about the Massilon situation here), and provide a true moral compass for these young players to become truly respectable members of society; being a true role model for these young men.

So, this thread could go many different ways, just my 2 cents.
Totally agree!!!
Old 06-05-19, 01:41 PM
All World

troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
Trip City and The Ream Team.
Old 06-05-19, 05:37 PM
All Region

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Winton Woods coaching staff seems to have a great connection with their guys.
Old 06-05-19, 06:27 PM
All Ohio

HomeRunsNDunks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
I concur. Tipp is great.

Tippecanoe has 4 coaches on staff with head coaching experience, including a hall of fame coach, and all 4 have been to the playoffs as a head coach. Matt Burgbacher, Charlie Burgbacher, Rick Robertson, and Joel Derge.

I would like to open it up to the whole state as they are easily the best in SW Ohio. I would go to 3 in the state easily.
Better question, Tipp or Ohio State? Day is fairly unproven, and definitely don’t have four playoff coaches. Maybe two.
Old 06-05-19, 08:27 PM
All District

Kurt Rambis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
St X did fire its whole offensive staff...
Old 06-05-19, 10:01 PM
Freshman

lmbhngr is on a distinguished road
Dan McSurley and his staff at Clinton-Massie are pretty damn good...and successful!
Old 06-06-19, 01:24 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Lakota West has a real nice staff now IMO. It's going to be interesting to see how things go there over the next few years. That program has a huge ceiling if they can ever get everyone on the same page.
Old 06-06-19, 02:00 PM
All American

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeRunsNDunks View Post
Better question, Tipp or Ohio State? Day is fairly unproven, and definitely donít have four playoff coaches. Maybe two.
Bill Brasky all by himself > than either
Old 06-06-19, 07:39 PM
All District

College#19 is on a distinguished road
St. X just brought in one of the best offensive coordinators in the country from Trinity High School in Louisville. I don't know if St. X has the QB this season to run the offense, but it will not surprise me if the Bombers are dropping 40 points a game in a couple years.
Old 06-06-19, 09:59 PM
All American

yakyak is on a distinguished road
It has to be Tipp City. Their history of producing elite Power 5 talent, trophy case of district, regional, state , national and world championships, and a staff with a combined 400 years running toss sweeps and full back dives is unmatched.

This elite staff will get Tipp to 6 to 7 wins every year. FACT!
Old 06-07-19, 01:48 AM
Freshman

Knight Vision is on a distinguished road
Tipp City? Having 4 coaches with ďHead coaching experience,Ē means they were all fired. Some of them multiple times. You would think if Tippís coaches were so good, they would be even some what relevant in the playoffs. Stop with this nonsense.
Old 06-07-19, 06:48 AM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
Actually 3 made moves without being fired. Charlie Burgbacher is one of the best coaches in the state of Ohio. Period. Anyone that can take a team from Tipp City and make them a perennial winner is a great coach in my book.
I’d look at a school that overachieves on a regular basis. Not sure who that would be.
Old 06-07-19, 07:18 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmbhngr View Post
Dan McSurley and his staff at Clinton-Massie are pretty damn good...and successful!
That's a good one. I'll throw a few more in here that are probably off the radar... Wyoming, Mt. Healthy, and Alter. Anderson's staff has really turned it around too.
Old 06-07-19, 08:49 AM
All Yappi

Mt.Healthy is loaded with talent. They come from sketchy homes but overall they are no different than Trotwood. Very similar.
Wyoming is very good on a pretty regular basis. Alter has a recruiting dynasty there. Doesn't take a great coach. He was at Northmont before Alter and was a bust.
Small schools are the one's that have the best coaching in my opinion. less to work with and sending kids to D1 schools...that's coaching.
Old 06-07-19, 08:54 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessEmAll View Post
Mt.Healthy is loaded with talent. They come from sketchy homes but overall they are no different than Trotwood. Very similar.
Wyoming is very good on a pretty regular basis. Alter has a recruiting dynasty there. Doesn't take a great coach. He was at Northmont before Alter and was a bust.
Small schools are the one's that have the best coaching in my opinion. less to work with and sending kids to D1 schools...that's coaching.
I disagree about Mt. Healthy, they play much more disciplined football than Trotwood. Trotwood plays some of the sloppiest football every year, but they just have more juggernaut athletes than about every other team.

I didn't know that Domsitz was at Northmont before. My observations on here are simply based off of teams that I see that play their schemes well, and are well disciplined in their execution. That was all my observations were based off of.
Old 06-07-19, 08:59 AM
All Yappi

Domsitz was there in the 90s and Northmont wasn't real good. Milton beat them with him as HC and we were 1/4 size of school as Northmont.
Alter is disciplined and maybe it's the kids there are more disciplined at home as well. They are Centerville, Oakwood, Kettering kids going to Alter.
Trotwood is really loaded with blue chip talent from the west side of Dayton. Dunbar, Meadowdale, etc kids open enroll at Trotwood, or at least they used to. Now it's more Wayne than Trotwood.
MH should be a good game for Coldwater this year. Speed vs. Brute strength.
Old 06-08-19, 09:47 AM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
Domsitz was at Alter in the 1980s and won a few regional titles. Then went to Northmont for about 10 years. He had some good teams there in the beginning but the talent well dried up completely and numbers were low during his last couple of years. When the Alter job opened back up in the late 1990s, it took him two years to get things going again because soccer and basketball had the kids because those two sports were going to state every year.

If you say coach Domsitz is not a good coach, then something is wrong with you. He has built a great tradition at Alter, wins, runs a disciplined team, and has great alumni support.
Old 06-08-19, 03:17 PM
All District

HighSchoolFB45 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Actually 3 made moves without being fired. Charlie Burgbacher is one of the best coaches in the state of Ohio. Period. Anyone that can take a team from Tipp City and make them a perennial winner is a great coach in my book.
Iíd look at a school that overachieves on a regular basis. Not sure who that would be.
Tipp City is essentially the same city as Wapakoneta or St. Maryís. Doug Frye turned around the Wapakoneta and St. Maryís programs, and when Travis Moyer took over at Wapakoneta he didnít lose a regular season game from week 1 of 2014 to week 9 of 2016. He also took them to the regional finals in 2014 and 2015, taking out Tippecanoe on the way in 2014. The only team that had been able to stop Wapak was Trotwood, beating them every year from 2014 to 2016. You say that Burgbacher is one of the best coaches in Ohio, but he might not even be top 3 in his region, with Moyer, Frye, and Domsitz (Alter) being obvious choices and Graham (Trotwood), Haverkamp (Fenwick), and Cooper (Shawnee) being debatable. Your bias is showing.
Old 06-08-19, 05:20 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSchoolFB45 View Post
Tipp City is essentially the same city as Wapakoneta or St. Maryís. Doug Frye turned around the Wapakoneta and St. Maryís programs, and when Travis Moyer took over at Wapakoneta he didnít lose a regular season game from week 1 of 2014 to week 9 of 2016. He also took them to the regional finals in 2014 and 2015, taking out Tippecanoe on the way in 2014. The only team that had been able to stop Wapak was Trotwood, beating them every year from 2014 to 2016. You say that Burgbacher is one of the best coaches in Ohio, but he might not even be top 3 in his region, with Moyer, Frye, and Domsitz (Alter) being obvious choices and Graham (Trotwood), Haverkamp (Fenwick), and Cooper (Shawnee) being debatable. Your bias is showing.
BlessEm is the last person to have bias for Tipp. His school was rivals with Tipp for a long time, however he did watch Charlie coach at Tipp for 26 years and turn Tipp from a dumpster into an annual playoff team.
Old 06-08-19, 05:42 PM
All Region

The Watcher 2.0 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
I disagree about Mt. Healthy, they play much more disciplined football than Trotwood. Trotwood plays some of the sloppiest football every year, but they just have more juggernaut athletes than about every other team.

I didn't know that Domsitz was at Northmont before. My observations on here are simply based off of teams that I see that play their schemes well, and are well disciplined in their execution. That was all my observations were based off of.
Itís obvious that you have never seen Trotwood play that much because the coaching staff teaches the same thing that everyone else teaches but you want to say, because they have good athletes that mean they are not disciplined. Iíve seen MT. Healthy play some sloppy football just like any other school around.
Old 06-08-19, 06:11 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well we might as well not show up week 2 then. Sounds like we're about to get our teeth knocked in.