Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-22-19, 05:55 AM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the Big Red has a great tradition in football and knocking them for their accomplishments is ridiculous. However, I will say I do not like Reno at all, scheduling 8-9 home games a year and not fulfilling their away part of the deal like Clinton Massie, and playing weak teams definitely raises some eyebrows and questions their standards.
Old 05-22-19, 06:18 AM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
They should play more schools in western pa, like west Allegheny, Aliquippa, schools that are pretty good, like they did last year when they scheduled a very good team early in which I give them props for. Ohio football trumps pa football as a whole tho to me especially northeast Ohio and western pa
Only Week Zero in the WPIAL is open. This year that's a week before Ohio even starts. So District 8 schools are the only option (USO, Allderdice, Brashear, Carrick, Perry and Westinghouse).
Old 05-22-19, 07:25 PM
Junior Varsity

Dean Martin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They should play more schools in western pa, like west Allegheny, Aliquippa, schools that are pretty good, like they did last year when they scheduled a very good team early in which I give them props for. Ohio football trumps pa football as a whole tho to me especially northeast Ohio and western pa
As stated Western PA schools are locked into a strict conference schedule leaving almost no room for out of conference games.

Reno stated last year on his radio show, that he had aliqquippa locked in to play and then the head coach got fired and was later hired at Penn Hills, thus the 1st game of last season . The same coach for Penn Hills raved about the experience of playing in Harding Stadium, liking it to a small college atmosphere.

As for Clinton massie, No way Big RED is going to travel across the state to play at a stadium that holds 2000 pp, Just don't make sense, Massie did it because they were strapped for cash and Big REd pays out well f to traveling teams.
Old 05-22-19, 09:31 PM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
The head coach from
Quip didn’t coach at penn hills he coached somewhere else
Old 05-22-19, 09:33 PM
All Ohio

Mr.wrsln2 is on a distinguished road
U know Massie was strapped for cash?Couldnt they have a car wash?Or sell Spree's or something.
Old 05-23-19, 06:32 AM
Freshman

Steubenburgh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The head coach from
Quip didnít coach at penn hills he coached somewhere else
Thatís true, he coached at Ringgold last year. Penn Hillsí Coach is an Aliquippa native, but that doesnít have much to do with them playing last year. He came to Penn Hills from Shaler and started at Penn Hills in 2017. The reason they played Steubenville is because they knew they had one of the best teams theyíve had in a long time with a lot of 3 year starters back as Seniors.

In regards to Aliquippa, or West A, I donít think those game will ever happen. Like most mid-sized to smaller WPIAL schools they typically never play out of conference. Plus week 0 games arenít mandatory for WPIAL schools, and they donít use a computer points system for playoffs just conference record. So in a way week 0 games donít mean a whole lot for those schools.
Old 05-24-19, 12:16 AM
All World

Upside would be playing Steubenville which would be the best team on their schedules including playoffs
Old 05-24-19, 05:53 AM
All District

Riverman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
I think the Big Red has a great tradition in football and knocking them for their accomplishments is ridiculous. However, I will say I do not like Reno at all, scheduling 8-9 home games a year and not fulfilling their away part of the deal like Clinton Massie, and playing weak teams definitely raises some eyebrows and questions their standards.
As a Massie fan and supporter, i can say again that Bid Red was not under contract to play Massie at home. It was a ONE game deal. It was talked about having them play Massie at home, but most of us knew it was not going to happen.
Old 05-24-19, 06:15 AM
All District

Riverman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Martin View Post
As stated Western PA schools are locked into a strict conference schedule leaving almost no room for out of conference games.

Reno stated last year on his radio show, that he had aliqquippa locked in to play and then the head coach got fired and was later hired at Penn Hills, thus the 1st game of last season . The same coach for Penn Hills raved about the experience of playing in Harding Stadium, liking it to a small college atmosphere.

As for Clinton massie, No way Big RED is going to travel across the state to play at a stadium that holds 2000 pp, Just don't make sense, Massie did it because they were strapped for cash and Big REd pays out well f to traveling teams.
Sorry Deano, Masssie didn't do it for the money! We weren't strapped for cash as you say. We did it because we wanted to play Big Red, driving across state to play Steubenville in school buses and the number of Massie fans that followed.it was a great place to see a game. Massie drives all over to play a quality game.( Coldwater, Hartley,Desales) I like you are hung up that the fact that Massie little stadium is to small for Big Red. How many people from Steubenville would be willing to drive on Friday night to watch them across state? Not as many as you think. If Big RED did want to play, extra seating could be added or maybe play at (Wilmington College)?
Old 05-24-19, 01:17 PM
All Ohio

thickthinbigred is on a distinguished road
Wheeling Park again.
Old 05-24-19, 01:55 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
I get it that Stewbenville is right behind Massillon for HS football hierarchy in Ohio and get to play almost every game at their Cathedral of a stadium, but what about those teams who have to travel so far? What kind of following do they bring?

HS sports is so much about rivalry. PLaying against nearby towns, against people you know and some you are related to and work with. Towns you play in multiple sports and that rivalry runs deep. You may get them in one sport, but in another they drill you!

I am not sure I would care much about playing teams where you don't go there the next year and the students cannot hop in the car and make the trip.

But what do I know about football and rivalries. I am just a redneck from a small hick town in western Ohia.
Old 05-24-19, 02:26 PM
Freshman

Spaylaywathepi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
I get it that Stewbenville is right behind Massillon for HS football hierarchy in Ohio and get to play almost every game at their Cathedral of a stadium, but what about those teams who have to travel so far? What kind of following do they bring?

HS sports is so much about rivalry. PLaying against nearby towns, against people you know and some you are related to and work with. Towns you play in multiple sports and that rivalry runs deep. You may get them in one sport, but in another they drill you!

I am not sure I would care much about playing teams where you don't go there the next year and the students cannot hop in the car and make the trip.

But what do I know about football and rivalries. I am just a redneck from a small hick town in western Ohia.
I'm just a redneck from a small hick town in Eastern AHIA (that's how we say it over here) and I agree.
Old 05-25-19, 01:28 AM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Steubenville has rarely ever played local teams. When they have it's few and far between.

For much of their history they've been much bigger than most of the surrounding schools so it left very few teams size wise to compete with them. As they shrunk more locals would play them. But many wouldn't once they lose a few times: see Edison.

Last edited by Sykotyk; 05-25-19 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-25-19, 05:14 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
Steubenville has rarely ever played local teams. When they have it's few and far between.

For much of their history they've been much bigger than most of the surrounding schools so it left very few teams size wise to compete with them. As they shrunk not locals would play them. But many wouldn't once they lose a few times: see Edison.
That makes sense tho their local teams are horrible
Old 05-25-19, 01:02 PM
All Ohio

Brooke, Wheeling Park, East Liverpool all dropped us , Steub Central got too small. We used to play Bellaire and cambridge, Zanesville. East Liverpool, Zanesville and Bellaire were competitive games.
Old 05-28-19, 03:02 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
Only Week Zero in the WPIAL is open. This year that's a week before Ohio even starts. So District 8 schools are the only option (USO, Allderdice, Brashear, Carrick, Perry and Westinghouse).
Massillon plays Gateway in mid season I think.
Old 05-28-19, 05:19 PM
Freshman

Steubenburgh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thickthinbigred View Post
Massillon plays Gateway in mid season I think.
There was a WPIAL school that dropped out of the conference and it left open weeks for every team in their division this year. Massillon picked up Gateway and Penn Trafford. I believe Dover may have picked up one of the WPIAL schools from that division as well, but I’m not too sure. It’s a very rare occurrence that this happens.
Old 05-28-19, 09:18 PM
Junior Varsity

Dean Martin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Sorry Deano, Masssie didn't do it for the money! We weren't strapped for cash as you say. We did it because we wanted to play Big Red, driving across state to play Steubenville in school buses and the number of Massie fans that followed.it was a great place to see a game. Massie drives all over to play a quality game.( Coldwater, Hartley,Desales) I like you are hung up that the fact that Massie little stadium is to small for Big Red. How many people from Steubenville would be willing to drive on Friday night to watch them across state? Not as many as you think. If Big RED did want to play, extra seating could be added or maybe play at (Wilmington College)?
I assure 700 to 1000 or so would make the trek from Steubenville, but the vast major of fans would come from Columbus were a a lot of steubenviile natives live, Just ask Columbus watterson fans, last time they played watterson in Columbus , big red probably outdrew through supporters
Old 05-29-19, 06:32 AM
All Ohio

Big Red travels good. They brought thousands of fans up to Pittsburgh to play McKeesport @ Woodland Hills a few years back. It was a ten game field and Big Red had more people than all others easily . but some great teams from Florida even brought fans.
Old 05-29-19, 01:31 PM
Varsity

Lakindo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post

As a die hard Big Red guy, this is my biggest issue. I love when Massillon, Dover and even Brooke came. They bring tons of fans and Harding is rocking. It doesn't quite have the same vibe when St Joes shows up with 50 fans.

But, as I said on the other forum, Reno and the AD tried to get St. Clairsville and other local-ish teams on the schedule. When St. Clairsville turned us down to play tiny Wheeling Central, Big Red had no real choice but to add tiny Linsly for Week 10
Old 05-29-19, 04:20 PM
All Ohio

When St C came up to Harding didn't they just bring like 60 fans? Brooke showed up as did IC and Bellaire used to show up pretty good. EL did when they were tough. Massillon always shows up which is always a thrill.
Old 05-29-19, 04:38 PM
All Ohio

I remember Mck coming down to Brooke,times change.Seems for the worse in da'valley.
Old 05-29-19, 04:56 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.wrsln2 View Post
I remember Mck coming down to Brooke,times change.Seems for the worse in da'valley.
I went to that game . Brooke used to play some good Ohio teams but bud b wouldnt play the Red.
Old 05-29-19, 06:13 PM
All Ohio

Ah'its 1988 4ever in Brooke co,Wv.
Old 05-29-19, 06:48 PM
All Ohio

BruinPride...County wide!Remember when Buckeye local was playing for a d2 state championship?Not the best of days now.Dem dudes were fast!
Old 05-30-19, 07:04 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.wrsln2 View Post
Ah'its 1988 4ever in Brooke co,Wv.
You guys were tough . I would like to see it again and maybe we can play again, but I admit I wouldn't want to know a Brooke W over the Red.
Old 05-30-19, 07:16 AM
Varsity

Lakindo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
When St C came up to Harding didn't they just bring like 60 fans? Brooke showed up as did IC and Bellaire used to show up pretty good. EL did when they were tough. Massillon always shows up which is always a thrill.
I may have misspoke. The last time St C came up it was a Thursday night game and I had to work and it was a nasty, rainy night.

My point was, I love when the visitors bring a crowd
Old 05-30-19, 03:07 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakindo View Post
I may have misspoke. The last time St C came up it was a Thursday night game and I had to work and it was a nasty, rainy night.

My point was, I love when the visitors bring a crowd
Yep I know. I wasn't disagreeing with you, I just wanted to point out after we smashed St C down in their joint they brought 15 people the next year. I suspect that knowing they would lose and not wanting to give us any gate revenue were the two reasons for them .
Old 05-31-19, 10:50 AM
All Ohio

We play ST C today for a trip to state in Baseball . Cant lose to those guys in anything .
Old 05-31-19, 06:45 PM
All Region

Union County Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We play ST C today for a trip to state in Baseball . Cant lose to those guys in anything .
St. Clairsville won 4-2