Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-19-19, 05:48 PM
Junior Varsity

conspiritor is on a distinguished road
Did your coach punch any players in the package last season?
Old 05-19-19, 06:30 PM
All World

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
One weird looking schedule. Looks like a schedule someone would post on here making fun of Steubenville’s yearly schedule
Old 05-19-19, 06:37 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat71 View Post
Ok, but will they actually do an away game ?? And my point was why are they scheduling a W.VA. school that is D6 or 7 in Ohio. Does that make it any more simple for you to actually understand?? Doubt it...
That WV school isn't far away. Why not play them if they're willing?

And yes, I understand how the computer points work, so save it. What I don't understand is why everyone dogs Steubenville's schedule when it gets them into the playoffs every year, and they've shown more often than not that they're adequately prepared when they enter the playoffs.

I dislike Steubenville as much as most people on here, but we'd all love to see our teams play 8 or 9 home games if we could cover the guaranteed payouts that it would require and still turn a profit. They're able to make it work, we aren't.
Old 05-19-19, 08:32 PM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thickthinbigred View Post
Bullcrap. How do you know? Yes losing a playoff game to Hubbard wasn't good but they beat the state runner up and Big Red can play with anybody on a given year . Look at our past record. I see a lot of hate on here , must be a reason.
Iím not posting as hate, how come when someone posts something that a Steubenville Dan doesnít like they automatically consider it hate? Theyíre a really really good D4 program but to say that they would compete with the trotwoods, And hobans annually is flat out wrong. Granted some years they could but for the most part not, thatís why D4 is a great place for them.
Old 05-19-19, 08:32 PM
All World

Fan**
Old 05-20-19, 08:47 AM
All Ohio

thickthinbigred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat71 View Post
Ok, but will they actually do an away game ?? And my point was why are they scheduling a W.VA. school that is D6 or 7 in Ohio. Does that make it any more simple for you to actually understand?? Doubt it...
I'll give Linsly credit and this will be its Super bowl. They win 6-9 games every year and cannot participate in the WV playoffs.
Old 05-20-19, 08:50 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
Iím not posting as hate, how come when someone posts something that a Steubenville Dan doesnít like they automatically consider it hate? Theyíre a really really good D4 program but to say that they would compete with the trotwoods, And hobans annually is flat out wrong. Granted some years they could but for the most part not, thatís why D4 is a great place for them.
I think I have a good perspective on how Big Red can handle itself and its well documented. But have your own opinion by all means.
Old 05-20-19, 05:08 PM
All World

Just look at reality, yes they will hang with most teams, but they aren’t controlling D4 so why would they be able to jump a division with no problem, I could see if they have been winning 3-4 titles a decade but they don’t.
Old 05-20-19, 05:19 PM
All World

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
We'd all love to see our teams play 8 or 9 home games if we could cover the guaranteed payouts that it would require and still turn a profit. They're able to make it work, we aren't.
Truth
Old 05-20-19, 05:42 PM
Freshman

Steubenburgh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just look at reality, yes they will hang with most teams, but they aren’t controlling D4 so why would they be able to jump a division with no problem, I could see if they have been winning 3-4 titles a decade but they don’t.
Over the past 13 years they’ve won 3 state titles (2 in D3) and 9 regional titles. As for “not controlling D4”, over the past 5 seasons in D4 they’ve won 4 regional titles, 1 state title and they’ve finished as state runner up twice.
Please don’t take this as a defensive post, but it feels like it may be a “prison of the moment” type reaction following last seasons loss. There aren’t too many teams who have had that type of playoff success over the past few years. I’m not saying they’re going to go in and dominate D3, but to say they won’t be competitive because of a disappointing 10-2 season last year and they haven’t been a dominant D4 team over the past few years is pretty ludicrous.
Old 05-20-19, 07:37 PM
All Ohio

Mr.wrsln2 is on a distinguished road
Lots of numbers,but that dont change the fact that is one snooozer of a schedule.Absolutey no use buying a ticket till playoffs.Unless a parent.
Old 05-20-19, 07:39 PM
All Ohio

Sorry.Dover n Desales might be fun.
Old 05-20-19, 07:44 PM
Junior Varsity

conspiritor is on a distinguished road
You do not want to miss a game for the coach may blast a player in the package.
Old 05-20-19, 08:35 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steubenburgh View Post
Over the past 13 years theyíve won 3 state titles (2 in D3) and 9 regional titles. As for ďnot controlling D4Ē, over the past 5 seasons in D4 theyíve won 4 regional titles, 1 state title and theyíve finished as state runner up twice.
Please donít take this as a defensive post, but it feels like it may be a ďprison of the momentĒ type reaction following last seasons loss. There arenít too many teams who have had that type of playoff success over the past few years. Iím not saying theyíre going to go in and dominate D3, but to say they wonít be competitive because of a disappointing 10-2 season last year and they havenít been a dominant D4 team over the past few years is pretty ludicrous.
I guess to me dominant is more what have you done lately and that being state titles, I would say Hoban has dominated lately. Iím not saying they arenít a very very good D4 program because they have been but they havenít dominated, itís very had to dominate. I think they can beat a lot of D3 teams of course but at the top itíll be very very hard to win with the teams in d3 at the top
Old 05-20-19, 08:47 PM
Junior Varsity

Lombardi1 is on a distinguished road
From a Youngstown guy that follows Ursuline and Mooney......Steubenville is as good as it gets. Whatever the Division they are in... they are going to play well. Tough kids and well coached.

Their HC is exceptional. Great offensive scheme and play calling. Optimizes his talent every year. Always fundamentally strong. Always has a few sets/scheme plays that will surprise and kill you in tight games.

Great program that wins yearly ( with or without talent)
Old 05-20-19, 10:42 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lombardi1 View Post
From a Youngstown guy that follows Ursuline and Mooney......Steubenville is as good as it gets. Whatever the Division they are in... they are going to play well. Tough kids and well coached.

Their HC is exceptional. Great offensive scheme and play calling. Optimizes his talent every year. Always fundamentally strong. Always has a few sets/scheme plays that will surprise and kill you in tight games.

Great program that wins yearly ( with or without talent)
I agree with all that except the last statement, they always have talent that will
Never run dry
Old 05-21-19, 06:58 AM
All Ohio

Talent varies year to year but we get large numbers of kids out . The rigorous conditioning and off season traning is as tough as it gets , but the kids in the town bought in years ago and want to be a part of something special and when you get the crowd size bigger than most D-1 schools would envy , that helps too. Program support is on par with towns like they make movies about
Old 05-21-19, 08:07 AM
All Ohio

Crowds are smaller.
Old 05-21-19, 01:02 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.wrsln2 View Post
Crowds are smaller.
Big Red gets huge crowds almost every game.
Old 05-21-19, 01:13 PM
All Region

Springsteen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Most games this is true, but only on the home side of the stadium. With schedule Big Red plays year in and year out,(8-9 homes games which is fine with me)giving opponents a guaranteed payout, I don't know how their athletic dept. can make any money when most opponents bring less than 100 fans. Big Red must have some "generous" boosters.
Old 05-21-19, 01:49 PM
All Region

bodiaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Steubenville gets around 6500 per home game, thus they really have no incentive to leave their stadium. With that said, the schedule for 2019 is horrendously weak, 6 out of state teams being brought in as cannon fodder. Dover is the only team on the schedule that can actually give Steubenville somewhat of a game.
Old 05-21-19, 02:08 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiaz View Post
Steubenville gets around 6500 per home game, thus they really have no incentive to leave their stadium. With that said, the schedule for 2019 is horrendously weak, 6 out of state teams being brought in as cannon fodder. Dover is the only team on the schedule that can actually give Steubenville somewhat of a game.
That's impressive! Been there a few times. Great atmosphere. I forget, how much does it hold? Not a weak schedule just not compelling to the avg OH hs football fan, to say the least. Unfortunately they are geographically challenged also.

Nevermind looked it up - 10,000.

Last edited by TigerPaw; 05-21-19 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-21-19, 02:40 PM
Freshman

Quote:
I guess to me dominant is more what have you done lately and that being state titles, I would say Hoban has dominated lately. Iím not saying they arenít a very very good D4 program because they have been but they havenít dominated, itís very had to dominate. I think they can beat a lot of D3 teams of course but at the top itíll be very very hard to win with the teams in d3 at the top
Thatís a fair assessment. I had incorrectly interpreted some of your previous post and I apologize for that.
Old 05-21-19, 03:11 PM
All Ohio

6,500 is alot every friday,good number to throw around though.
Old 05-21-19, 03:14 PM
Freshman

Another thing to factor in when talking about revenue from Harding Stadium is that Steubenville Central plays all of their home games there as well. I know they have some kind of a split with Big Red. I don’t know what that split is and how much Big Red makes from it. But they play around 6 home games a year and have a very good following for a D6-D7 team.
Old 05-21-19, 03:35 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Seems odd to see a public school and private school competing for students in the same town share a stadium. Or is a good athlete choosing SCCHS > SHS so rare they get along like peas and carrots?
Old 05-21-19, 03:38 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steubenburgh View Post
Another thing to factor in when talking about revenue from Harding Stadium is that Steubenville Central plays all of their home games there as well. I know they have some kind of a split with Big Red. I donít know what that split is and how much Big Red makes from it. But they play around 6 home games a year and have a very good following for a D6-D7 team.
From what I knew from back in the day Steub Central pays for utilities but I think we still handle all the band concessions and our middle school parking.
Old 05-21-19, 08:26 PM
Junior Varsity

Dean Martin is on a distinguished road
Reno tends to schedule based on his team talent...his better teams get tested early otherwise he schedules for weekly growth ) With the QB position being unproven , weekly growth seems to be this years strategy.

One other point, when people in central, western, northern Ohio hear that BIG RED is playing an out state team from Penn or West Virginia that naturally assume a length trip taking hours, that's not the case. Pittsburgh is 35 minute drive and Steubenville is tied into the Pittsburgh economy probably more than any other city in ohio.
Old 05-21-19, 08:43 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Martin View Post
Reno tends to schedule based on his team talent...his better teams get tested early otherwise he schedules for weekly growth ) With the QB position being unproven , weekly growth seems to be this years strategy.

One other point, when people in central, western, northern Ohio hear that BIG RED is playing an out state team from Penn or West Virginia that naturally assume a length trip taking hours, that's not the case. Pittsburgh is 35 minute drive and Steubenville is tied into the Pittsburgh economy probably more than any other city in ohio.
They should play more schools in western pa, like west Allegheny, Aliquippa, schools that are pretty good, like they did last year when they scheduled a very good team early in which I give them props for. Ohio football trumps pa football as a whole tho to me especially northeast Ohio and western pa
Old 05-21-19, 08:44 PM
All American

The Dock is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Seems odd to see a public school and private school competing for students in the same town share a stadium. Or is a good athlete choosing SCCHS > SHS so rare they get along like peas and carrots?
It’s more common than you think.