Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-14-19, 03:21 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Also KO return for TD vs. Wadsworth. Good receiver. Point being you can line him anywhere on either side of the ball and he'd excel. Could have been star rb for alot of schools including Massillon.
Old 05-14-19, 06:12 PM
All Region

DickShadow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBulldog View Post
Earlier in this same thread, you didn't even know his name, let alone who he was. What's in a name? It's pretty obvious your's is very appropriate for you! He doesn't have baggage, but boy YOU sure do!

Without our Official OHSAA Big School Football State Championships, Stark County would have NONE.

WHERE CHAMPIONS ARE MADE AND SUCCESS IS TRADITION
Hey JJ Bozo, do your homework, Coach Gary was the former wrestling coach At St.V but was relieved of his coaching duties a few years back, do you know the reason why? well I do which equates to baggage dum dum
Old 05-14-19, 07:11 PM
Varsity

McKPups is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool View Post
I second that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I third that.
Old 05-14-19, 08:32 PM
All World

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
That's quite a stretch. Mack only carried the ball twice in the regular season. And that was for 8 yards against Louisville.

Then he carried it once against Wadsworth for no gain.

Against Hoban it was 5 carries for 59 yards.

8 carries for 67 yards is not "great."
'Loons definition of "great" means you are on the Tiger roster.

Never heard Ray Jeske call a game? Every play and player is "phenomenal" and "legendary".
Old 05-14-19, 09:21 PM
All District

CaptainA is on a distinguished road
Quote:

And until Massillon can prove, like McKinley has a few times, that they can win a Division One State Playoff Championship....Ooops! That ship has sailed lol. Canton McKinley and its new College coaching staff is Stark's #1 for 2019.

WORD!!! The Paper tigers only have paper titles. No real hardware!!!!
Old 05-15-19, 09:34 AM
Varsity

open24 is on a distinguished road
That's quite a stretch. Mack only carried the ball twice in the regular season. And that was for 8 yards against Louisville.

... say what you want but Mack seemed to show up and make plays at big times for the Tigers. Would take that talent and versatility on my team anytime.

Old 05-15-19, 10:33 AM
All American

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKPups View Post
I third that.
The feeling is mutual.

Without our Official OHSAA Big School State Football Championships,Stark County would have NONE.
Old 05-15-19, 10:35 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by open24 View Post

... say what you want but Mack seemed to show up and make plays at big times for the Tigers. Would take that talent and versatility on my team anytime.

Who cares? Wrong thread.

Old 05-15-19, 09:21 PM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
Former Jackson AD Terry Peterson is the new Commissioner of the Federal League. He replaces Joe Eaton who resigned.

https://www.cantonrep.com/sports/201...federal-league
Old 05-15-19, 09:52 PM
All District

TigerTailgater12 is on a distinguished road
How many McKinley graduates does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-19, 10:03 PM
All American

Wrestling245 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Picking players and picking state champions are two completely different things. Paper titles aren't official, and for a very good reason. When the OHSAA began the playoffs in 1972, Massillon was the AP Poll Champion, but lost in playoffs to Cinci Princeton. Princeton was then totally blown out by Warren Western Reserve 37-6. It was pretty obvious that the AP selection method was deeply flawed. Therefore, only playoff State Championships won in their tournaments count as official. Canton McKinley and Cincinnati Princeton lead the D1 Publics with 3 each, while the Private powerhouse Cleveland St. Ignatius leads all with 11.

One might ask how those AP paper titles were listed without listing the previous methods of picking state champions prior to the AP (popular acclaim. etc.). Afterall, those titles, too, were no more subjective than the paper AP titles, chosen largely on reputation and regional bias.. There were also UPI state titles. I can't tell you why they aren't also listed. The people who want to count them as legit can't tell you if Canton McKinley has 12 Football State Championships or 11, or how many Massillon claimed, because nobody agrees entirely on them all. Its impossible to make them official.

One interesting fact is that a State Championship 'playoff' actually happened in 1945, when the 'chosen' State Champion was undefeated Toledo Waite and unbeaten Canton Lincoln High challenged them to a final. The game was played before an overflow crowd of 26,000 @ Canton's Fawcett Stadium and the two teams battled to a 6-6 tie. That is an actual State Playoff Championship ignored in the list as well as it is not official, either, although it arguably has far more legitimacy than a bunch of sports writers, mostly from northern Ohio who never saw any of the teams actually play that were outside of their own surrounds. Many never even saw their local teams, but voted based upon reputations instead of what they actually observed. Tech was not available.

Even now, we have the net, many games streamed and recorded for everyone in the state to see and analyze, and yet we wound up with undefeated Colerain as last year's AP Poll Champion who went on to get thumped by St. Edward in the State playoff Championship, 24-10. OHSAA just can't feel justified in making AP paper Poll titles 'OFFICIAL'. Unlike Massillon, Canton McKinley won State Championships in ALL formats and might feel a lot more justified in claiming it's paper titles along with its Official playoff State Championships. It is what it is. Canton McKinley has 27 Official OHSAA State Championships in several sports total. Massillon has no official titles in any sport. But they do have an impressive stack of paper!

Wrong again. Massillon does in fact have a state title in a sport. Wrestling. Young man by the name of Ivan Mclay. The 2013 126 pound state champ.
Old 05-15-19, 10:38 PM
All District

LB#33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Kyshad Mack got better every game, he was great. Jamir carried the load before but next year will be more by committee. Beside Phifer we got Hodges, Beasley and Venson and probably couple others. Don't worry about O worry about D.
None of them are game changers. I guess they donít have to be necessarily but it concerns me. And Iíll be honest Iím not that concerned about the defense. A lot of talent is getting ready to come through on top of what we return from last year. Guess weíll have to wait and see
Old 05-15-19, 11:18 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestling245 View Post
Wrong again. Massillon does in fact have a state title in a sport. Wrestling. Young man by the name of Ivan Mclay. The 2013 126 pound state champ.
You are wrong again. Individuals are not teams. Massillon has NO official team titles. That's why the Official OHSAA List of State Championships doesn't include Massillon.

Without our Official OHSAA Big School Football Championships, Stark County would have NONE.

Old 05-15-19, 11:23 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTailgater12 View Post
How many McKinley graduates does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

How many Massillon teams does it take to win an official state championship?

1. Canton McKinley
2. Perry
3. Massillon
4. North Canton Hoover

Old 05-16-19, 12:46 PM
All District

TigerTailgater12 is on a distinguished road
What the federal track coaches did to Massillonís Track team last night was despicable. Thankfully, the state officials sided with Massillon (surprising I know). The animosity and jealously from the federal league never ceases to amaze me.... itís no wonder Massillon plays with a chip on their shoulders !

Old 05-16-19, 05:24 PM
All Region

pup pounder is an unknown quantity at this point
Can you fill us in tailgater ?
Old 05-16-19, 05:54 PM
All Ohio

starkfb
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTailgater12 View Post
What the federal track coaches did to Massillonís Track team last night was despicable. Thankfully, the state officials sided with Massillon (surprising I know). The animosity and jealously from the federal league never ceases to amaze me.... itís no wonder Massillon plays with a chip on their shoulders !

Rather than launch a drive by insult, why don't you give details as to what happened ?
Old 05-17-19, 08:24 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkfb View Post
Rather than launch a drive by insult, why don't you give details as to what happened ?
I was not at this meet but have spoken to multiple people who were there:

Wednesday was the 1st day of the Division I District track meet at North Canton. In the boys 4x200m relay, Massillon ran 1:27.42 to easily qualify to today's finals. That time also broke the county record in the event by .04 seconds, so it was a very fast time. However, 1 of Massillon's runners failed to remove his long-sleeved shirt he was wearing over his jersey, so his jersey was not visible during his leg of the relay.

Why is that an issue, you ask? Starting this year, the NFHS more or less eliminated all restrictions on undergarments (used to be a bunch of rules on colors, stitching, logos, etc). Instead, there has greater attention paid to enforcing rules pertaining to the uniform itself. At the meet I attended on Wed, the head official made a point of telling us during the coaches' meeting to make sure the uniform is the outermost layer of clothing our athletes are wearing during competition, so it is a major point of emphasis this season.

Back to North Canton. The officials either did not notice or failed to report the infraction. Other coaches didn't know if Massillon would be disqualified or not. It wasn't until the girls 400m that the 4x200 results were announced with Massillon not being DQed. 1 of the Fed coaches began to file a protest, and a few others signed on. When the officials saw the protest, they DQed Massillon from the event.

Massillon's coaches were hot and accosted the coach who filed the protest asking him why he did it and accused him of being mad that his school's 4x200 county record had been broken. They proceeded to berate a coach from a 2nd Fed school who had signed on. They then turned their attention toward a 3rd Fed school, and that's when things escalated. 1 of the assistants from that Fed school said something like "it stinks, but we've all had kids DQed in the past." 1 of the Massillon coaches didn't like that and grazed him in the nose with a relay baton and knocked his hat off and threatened to throw down on the spot. That got attention from the police. The head coach of that Fed team said he signed the protest because he doesn't like Massillon's head coach because he occasionally embellishes his sprinters' seed times at big meets in order to get preferred lanes in the preliminaries. For example, he seeded BOTH of his 200m runners at 21.0 before last year's district meet, not even Devin Smith was that fast. While legal to do so, inflated seed times hurt the integrity of the event. Bottom line here is some things were said and some feelings have boiled over that could impact things in the future such as the County track meet which is operated by Perry and is a great event. To have all 20 schools in a county our size attend that meet is no small feat. I could envision a situation next year where 1 of these coaches says "if they're coming, we're not." Summit County has tried to create its own county meet within the past few years but was unable to get all 27 or 28 teams in that county to attend, so yes, what we've had in Stark County the past 15 years with our county meet is rather special.

When I looked at the results on Wed. night, Massillon was listed as DQed in the 4x200. An e-mail went out the next morning to the coaches stating that Massillon was being reinstated in the finals. There will be 9 teams running in that final tonight. North Canton does not have a 9-lane track, so it has been reseeded to 2 heats with the slowest 4 teams in the 1st heat and the fastest 5 teams in the 2nd heat. That's a tough break for the 4 slowest teams in the final.

Nobody looks good in this situation, and I will add this: A Massillon athlete committed an infraction that was worthy of a DQ by rule. Many of the officials in this area are rather lax on enforcing the rules. Had the infraction occurred in the Youngstown area or a few other select areas of the state where the officials are extremely stringent, Massillon would have been DQed on the spot. Had the officials done their job, it would have ended right there. Having coaches threaten to throw down in front of everyone, especially the kids for whom they're supposed to be guiding to become better people is not a good look.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 05-17-19 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-17-19, 08:52 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
To recap w/out spin. Nothing was noticed or said prior to the race. Or during. By the officials or other coaches. Then, well after, the FL coaches pressured officials to DQ Massillon.

I agree officials technically had a right to DQ or not DQ based on the circumstances as described. I think it is unfortunate FL felt compelled to protest the officials' decision for whatever reason (ya right), or that nothing was noticed prior (or noticed but not said til after) but in the end the right decision was made imo. And I would say that about any young athlete in the same scenario, or opponent. Congrats to a new Stark County record relay team!

Sorry FL, I hope "sorry wont happen again" can suffice, at least to some small extent.
Old 05-17-19, 09:12 AM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
based on what has been said above.....

share the blame across the board, officials are paid to run the meet, if there is going to be a lax on rules then they need to communicate that prior to the contest in the coaches meetings. coaches should know the rules and be able to communicate to their runners the appropriate attire. the other coaches need to get over themselves as far as whining about a rule such as this when you are supposed to be about competition and not if a kid had a long sleeve shirt on, damn.

sounds like all the adults were acting like kids - no one school being absolved.

sad the entire league is getting bashed, massillon is being called out, why aren't we using the fed league school names. were all 7 fed league schools track coaches involved? if not and it was three schools then why aren't we saying their school name yet putting massillon out there?

only just to not hold the other 4 fed schools to the event if it were only 3 of 7 schools involved. If a coach protested the standing, then that is a fact, so it would not be bashing if you said coach a from school b did this.
Old 05-17-19, 09:19 AM
All Region

guyinahoodie is on a distinguished road
Isn't there a track thread for this?
Old 05-17-19, 09:34 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
based on what has been said above.....

share the blame across the board, officials are paid to run the meet, if there is going to be a lax on rules then they need to communicate that prior to the contest in the coaches meetings. coaches should know the rules and be able to communicate to their runners the appropriate attire. the other coaches need to get over themselves as far as whining about a rule such as this when you are supposed to be about competition and not if a kid had a long sleeve shirt on, damn.

sounds like all the adults were acting like kids - no one school being absolved.

sad the entire league is getting bashed, massillon is being called out, why aren't we using the fed league school names. were all 7 fed league schools track coaches involved? if not and it was three schools then why aren't we saying their school name yet putting massillon out there?

only just to not hold the other 4 fed schools to the event if it were only 3 of 7 schools involved. If a coach protested the standing, then that is a fact, so it would not be bashing if you said coach a from school b did this.
Fair enough. I am not aware of exactly how many coaches signed the protest. Perry filed the protest. GlenOak was the 2nd team berated, so one can assume they signed on, and the 3rd school involved in the confrontation was Jackson.
Old 05-17-19, 10:36 AM
All World

Caleb is on a distinguished road
This infraction is an automatic DQ at the state meet so it should be at the district meet also IMO.
Old 05-17-19, 12:11 PM
All American

While I respect the rules, and they should be enforced correctly, if the official let it go, and things were moving forward, then yes it is so ticky tack for another school coach to break out the rule book. wow what a way to keep just enough angst amongst districts.

Massillon Washington has to be the favorite in the county next year
Massillon Perry has to be right behind them
North Canton Hoover is the up and coming that can knock one off
could be a potential playoff game amongst these teams if they are all D2 again.
Old 05-17-19, 12:17 PM
All District

CaptainA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
While I respect the rules, and they should be enforced correctly, if the official let it go, and things were moving forward, then yes it is so ticky tack for another school coach to break out the rule book. wow what a way to keep just enough angst amongst districts.

You boys is talkin bout track when you should be talkng about some ball!!!! Track meets ard fun but I just wanna talk about the boys playing some ball!!!
Old 05-17-19, 12:44 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
I was not at this meet but have spoken to multiple people who were there:

Wednesday was the 1st day of the Division I District track meet at North Canton. In the boys 4x200m relay, Massillon ran 1:27.42 to easily qualify to today's finals. That time also broke the county record in the event by .04 seconds, so it was a very fast time. However, 1 of Massillon's runners failed to remove his long-sleeved shirt he was wearing over his jersey, so his jersey was not visible during his leg of the relay.

Why is that an issue, you ask? Starting this year, the NFHS more or less eliminated all restrictions on undergarments (used to be a bunch of rules on colors, stitching, logos, etc). Instead, there has greater attention paid to enforcing rules pertaining to the uniform itself. At the meet I attended on Wed, the head official made a point of telling us during the coaches' meeting to make sure the uniform is the outermost layer of clothing our athletes are wearing during competition, so it is a major point of emphasis this season.

Back to North Canton. The officials either did not notice or failed to report the infraction. Other coaches didn't know if Massillon would be disqualified or not. It wasn't until the girls 400m that the 4x200 results were announced with Massillon not being DQed. 1 of the Fed coaches began to file a protest, and a few others signed on. When the officials saw the protest, they DQed Massillon from the event.

Massillon's coaches were hot and accosted the coach who filed the protest asking him why he did it and accused him of being mad that his school's 4x200 county record had been broken. They proceeded to berate a coach from a 2nd Fed school who had signed on. They then turned their attention toward a 3rd Fed school, and that's when things escalated. 1 of the assistants from that Fed school said something like "it stinks, but we've all had kids DQed in the past." 1 of the Massillon coaches didn't like that and grazed him in the nose with a relay baton and knocked his hat off and threatened to throw down on the spot. That got attention from the police. The head coach of that Fed team said he signed the protest because he doesn't like Massillon's head coach because he occasionally embellishes his sprinters' seed times at big meets in order to get preferred lanes in the preliminaries. For example, he seeded BOTH of his 200m runners at 21.0 before last year's district meet, not even Devin Smith was that fast. While legal to do so, inflated seed times hurt the integrity of the event. Bottom line here is some things were said and some feelings have boiled over that could impact things in the future such as the County track meet which is operated by Perry and is a great event. To have all 20 schools in a county our size attend that meet is no small feat. I could envision a situation next year where 1 of these coaches says "if they're coming, we're not." Summit County has tried to create its own county meet within the past few years but was unable to get all 27 or 28 teams in that county to attend, so yes, what we've had in Stark County the past 15 years with our county meet is rather special.

When I looked at the results on Wed. night, Massillon was listed as DQed in the 4x200. An e-mail went out the next morning to the coaches stating that Massillon was being reinstated in the finals. There will be 9 teams running in that final tonight. North Canton does not have a 9-lane track, so it has been reseeded to 2 heats with the slowest 4 teams in the 1st heat and the fastest 5 teams in the 2nd heat. That's a tough break for the 4 slowest teams in the final.

Nobody looks good in this situation, and I will add this: A Massillon athlete committed an infraction that was worthy of a DQ by rule. Many of the officials in this area are rather lax on enforcing the rules. Had the infraction occurred in the Youngstown area or a few other select areas of the state where the officials are extremely stringent, Massillon would have been DQed on the spot. Had the officials done their job, it would have ended right there. Having coaches threaten to throw down in front of everyone, especially the kids for whom they're supposed to be guiding to become better people is not a good look.
Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Massillon's coaches were hot and accosted the coach who filed the protest asking him why he did it and accused him of being mad that his school's 4x200 county record had been broken. They proceeded to berate a coach from a 2nd Fed school who had signed on. They then turned their attention toward a 3rd Fed school, and that's when things escalated. 1 of the assistants from that Fed school said something like "it stinks, but we've all had kids DQed in the past." 1 of the Massillon coaches didn't like that and grazed him in the nose with a relay baton and knocked his hat off and threatened to throw down on the spot. That got attention from the police. Having coaches threaten to throw down in front of everyone, especially the kids for whom they're supposed to be guiding to become better people is not a good look.
I believe this type of behavior is too typical and is at the crux of the difficulty between Massillon and other area schools. Sportsmanship anyone?
Old 05-17-19, 12:57 PM
All American

dingbat

I'll post it again

and trust me Captain A there is plenty of football being talked about - just not on yappi so much - aren't you getting PM's??
Old 05-17-19, 01:08 PM
All Yappi

Maxie can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
Thanks for taking the time to explain.

I believe this type of behavior is too typical and is at the crux of the difficulty between Massillon and other area schools. Sportsmanship anyone?

You are PATHETIC. You werenít there, yet you have to comment and blame everything on MWHS officials and players. Sportsmanship is a two-way street. Are you sure the aforementioned 3 Fed schoolís officials acted appropriately? No, it is all Massillonís fault. By the way, didnít an OHSAA official rule in favor of the Tigersí relay team?
Old 05-17-19, 01:12 PM
All Yappi

Maxie can only hope to improve
Quote:
dingbat

I'll post it again

and trust me Captain A there is plenty of football being talked about - just not on yappi so much - aren't you getting PM's??

Maybe Captain Aís favorite team is totally irrelevant in football circles?
Old 05-17-19, 01:36 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
You are PATHETIC. You werenít there, yet you have to comment and blame everything on MWHS officials and players. Sportsmanship is a two-way street. Are you sure the aforementioned 3 Fed schoolís officials acted appropriately? No, it is all Massillonís fault. By the way, didnít an OHSAA official rule in favor of the Tigersí relay team?
YOU are an ENABLER. It's pretty low to keep defending such recurring activity.

This is supposed to be High School Sports.