Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-10-19, 12:31 PM
All American

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
I was thinking the same thing! I'm no Hoban fan, but that was one of the silliest rants on Yappi. And THAT is saying something!
Have to agree lol
Old 06-12-19, 11:29 AM
All Ohio

Redwing is on a distinguished road
Wow, Region 5 flipped on its head. Could see Hoban-Massillon as early as week 12.
Old 06-12-19, 04:27 PM
All District

John Lee Pettimore is on a distinguished road
Hope to see yuns in week 13.
Old 06-12-19, 05:25 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lee Pettimore View Post
Hope to see yuns in week 13.
Heck, could even be week 11, who knows? Harbins will be at a premium in this region, 2 losses and anybody could be scrambling to get in. Weeks 1 & 3 are big for Hoban, have to have at least one of them. That Harrisburg team is no joke, plenty of D1 guys.
Old 06-21-19, 06:22 AM
All American

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Good article on Hoban’s first opponent from PA

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2019..._ULjvYJnv3u5VI
Old 06-21-19, 07:44 AM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
Word on the street is that Hoban is going to be looking good and I don't mean the amount of talent on the field.
Old 06-21-19, 08:25 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Good article on Hoban’s first opponent from PA

I wonder why they had to opt for the noon start time? Probably a soccer game that night or something, hopefully it's not 95 degrees. Harrisburg will already have a game under their belt, which is definitely an advantage, but at least they'll get to scout them.

Last edited by Redwing; 06-21-19 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-21-19, 09:08 AM
Varsity

buchtalgriffs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Good article on Hobanís first opponent from PA

Interesting paragraph from the article:

Quote:
A list of agenda items that were put out Monday night at the Harrisburg school board meeting showed that the Cougars would be reimbursed $5900 by Bishop Hoban for transportation and lodging.
$5900 seems like a lot of money. Is this typically done for out of town teams? Seems like that would be hard for Hoban to even earn that much from the game.
Old 06-21-19, 09:42 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by buchtalgriffs View Post
Interesting paragraph from the article:

$5900 seems like a lot of money. Is this typically done for out of town teams? Seems like that would be hard for Hoban to even earn that much from the game.
It's not uncommon for the host school to provide some level of financial assistance for these trips. I know Wayne provided some support for Hoban's trip down there last season, although they didn't stay overnight. The fact that Harrisburg needs lodging is obviously going to make it an expensive excursion, so I think providing some assistance is a courtesy for them agreeing to schedule the game
Old 06-21-19, 11:34 AM
All Ohio

Cool article on former Knight, and new Badger Quan Easterling. The Athletic is a national subscription site, but I believe non-members can get some free articles to start.

https://theathletic.com/1038803/2019...p-hoban-akron/
Old 06-21-19, 12:37 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
I wonder why they had to opt for the noon start time? Probably a soccer game that night or something, hopefully it's not 95 degrees. Harrisburg will already have a game under their belt, which is definitely an advantage, but at least they'll get to scout them.
Due to travel. Also coach said they were going to make a trip to the HOF on Friday. Great trip for them and weekend for the kids and parents. Not a big fan of a noon game but it is what it is.
Old 06-21-19, 01:32 PM
All American

hsfan60 is on a distinguished road
Hoban should be in D1

Ohsaa needs to fix this?
Old 06-21-19, 02:54 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsfan60 View Post
Ohsaa needs to fix this?
Fix what? Put Hoban in D1?
Old 06-21-19, 05:48 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Ohsaa needs to fix this?
Fix what? You don't like their recent run of success, so the OHSAA should arbitrarily place them in a division with schools that have 400-1000 more male students? In the unlikely event that their male enrollment grows by 200+ someday, they'll move. Until then, they're right where they should be.
Old 06-21-19, 07:42 PM
All Ohio

Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ohsaa needs to fix this?
Translation: my team can't beat them and it's not fair so something needs to be done.....or something to that effect.
Old 06-21-19, 10:32 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Hoban would roll in d1 too tho. Like, I don't even like Hoban, but even I know that.
Old 06-21-19, 11:32 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Hoban would roll in d1 too tho. Like, I don't even like Hoban, but even I know that.
People thought the same thing about Lasalle not so long ago. They were as good as any team in the state for a few years, but reached their half-life and missed the playoffs altogether last season. People always overreact to what they're seeing in the moment, but these types of runs don't have an infinite lifespan.
Old 06-21-19, 11:52 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
People thought the same thing about Lasalle not so long ago. They were as good as any team in the state for a few years, but reached their half-life and missed the playoffs altogether last season. People always overreact to what they're seeing in the moment, but these types of runs don't have an infinite lifespan.
But La Salle surely has not reached the same level of dominance as Hoban. The last 3 seasons, Hoban basically waxed everybody in the playoffs save Massillon. Their weightroom + strength and conditioning program is top notch, that plus their run of success, is going to keep their halls loaded with talent for years to come. Few of their rivals are going to be able to conjure the funds to put together anything that can compete with that. They are literally the Golden State Warriors of high school football. The only thing that's gonna prevent them from winning are an injury epidemic, and I hope that doesn't happen. Don't like Hoban, but would never want to see any athlete get injured, no matter who they play for.
Old 06-22-19, 07:40 AM
All American

“speed of the leader determines the rate of the pack”. As long as Tim Tyrell is head coach the Hoban Knights will compete for a state championship. He is a Jim Tressel product and Youngstown state guy who is a winner. He will win wherever he goes. When he leaves, and he will, Hoban will not be the same state power they are now.
Old 06-22-19, 09:06 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
But La Salle surely has not reached the same level of dominance as Hoban. The last 3 seasons, Hoban basically waxed everybody in the playoffs save Massillon. Their weightroom + strength and conditioning program is top notch, that plus their run of success, is going to keep their halls loaded with talent for years to come.
Lasalle was untouchable in D2 for 3 seasons, and still have plenty of talented kids, but other things have changed there. Schools like Eds, Iggy, Mentor, Massillon, McKinley, WW, X, Colerain, Wayne, TCC, Moeller, Elder, etc, always have halls full of talented kids, but don't always have great teams. It takes the right mix of talent, coaching, commitment and resources for a program to put together a run of success, and Hoban has found that formula. But like Cougar said, it all comes back to Tyrrell and how long he's around.
Old 06-22-19, 09:21 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Hoban's coaching is very good.
Hoban's facilities are very good.
Hoban's weightroom is top notch.

All of these factor into Hoban's excellence, but Hoban's greatest advantage is its ability to attract the top talent from Summit and nearby counties. SVSM had the advantage earlier in the decade, to a lesser extent.

Last edited by clarkgriswold; 06-22-19 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-22-19, 01:08 PM
All American

None of it works if you donít have the right coach. Look at St V since their coach left 3 years ago. Look at Ursuline when their coach let left, and LaSalle when Moore left. Oh and their is Stow when their coach left. List goes on and on. Again I say it starts and ends with the head coach. Oh and look at Kent when Nemic left. I rest my case
Old 06-22-19, 07:43 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
None of it works if you donít have the right coach. Look at St V since their coach left 3 years ago. Look at Ursuline when their coach let left, and LaSalle when Moore left. Oh and their is Stow when their coach left. List goes on and on. Again I say it starts and ends with the head coach. Oh and look at Kent when Nemic left. I rest my case
Because the coach is the guy drawing the talent.
Old 06-22-19, 08:09 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Because the coach is the guy drawing the talent.
Great coaches do attract talent. Great coaches also develop it.
Old 06-23-19, 07:38 PM
All American

Hoban Sr Devin Hightower commits to Michigan State
https://twitter.com/1devinhightower/...149057029?s=21
Old 06-24-19, 05:01 AM
All World

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
Hoban has deep pockets. A weight program second to none. Leadership that supports the football program. They no longer have any legit Rivals in the NCL or Summit County. Over a 120 plus players in the program. Make space on the shelf for Trophy �� #5 in 2019.
Old 06-24-19, 05:09 AM
All American

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
Hoban has deep pockets. A weight program second to none. Leadership that supports the football program. They no longer have any legit Rivals in the NCL or Summit County. Over a 120 plus players in the program. Make space on the shelf for Trophy �� #5 in 2019.
My Massillon buddies seem confident they will dethrone you this year, so don't get ahead of yourselves. They feel they were robbed by a bad call or they would've beaten you last year, too.

Always keep the faith!
Old 06-24-19, 07:19 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Really JJ? No need to troll a Hoban thread bud.
Old 06-24-19, 09:07 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBulldog View Post
My Massillon buddies seem confident they will dethrone you this year, so don't get ahead of yourselves. They feel they were robbed by a bad call or they would've beaten you last year, too.

Always keep the faith!
We'll never know, but I would suggest not falling behind 34-7 at halftime, regardless of one bad call early in the 1st quarter.

I've said this will be Hoban's most challenging year in the last 5, and the new regional alignment just added to it. Looking forward to seeing how they navigate it all.
Old 06-24-19, 09:38 AM
All Yappi

Maxie can only hope to improve
Quote:
We'll never know, but I would suggest not falling behind 34-7 at halftime, regardless of one bad call early in the 1st quarter.

I've said this will be Hoban's most challenging year in the last 5, and the new regional alignment just added to it. Looking forward to seeing how they navigate it all.

In addition, not having Jamir Thomas for the championship game was a critical loss.