Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-06-19, 12:27 AM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
That's not to say that Massillon or Winton Woods cannot upset the knights next year. They most certainly could. And Hoban certainly had better not be getting complacent either.
Old 05-06-19, 09:26 AM
All District

Copley King is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
In all fairness though, regardless of what Hoban or any other team in d2 has graduating or returning, I will maintain that Hoban is the favorited team to win it all. I believe any defending champion earns that distinction as next years favorite, regardless of what they lose to graduation.
True...
Old 05-06-19, 09:27 AM
All District

Quote:
That's not to say that Massillon or Winton Woods cannot upset the knights next year. They most certainly could. And Hoban certainly had better not be getting complacent either.
👍👍
Old 05-06-19, 09:32 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Not really? Enlighten me.
I would think one if not both of 6# and 5#.....Both are bigger stronger not sure about faster then any other RB on the roster by far.... What do you think???
Old 05-06-19, 05:50 PM
All American

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copley King View Post
I would think one if not both of 6# and 5#.....Both are bigger stronger not sure about faster then any other RB on the roster by far.... What do you think???
Hadn’t seen either run the ball since freshman year. Both have been playing defense due to depth on the offensive side, but they we’re both beast as freshman. Guess it depends on the needs of the team and who stays healthy. I am sure there are other backs in the stable coming up as well.
Old 05-06-19, 08:52 PM
Junior Varsity

Lombardi1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pup pounder View Post
"does a bear poop in the woods"

lmao
Old 05-06-19, 08:53 PM
All District

Quote:
Hadn’t seen either run the ball since freshman year. Both have been playing defense due to depth on the offensive side, but they we’re both beast as freshman. Guess it depends on the needs of the team and who stays healthy. I am sure there are other backs in the stable coming up as well.
I do believe those 2 are the only ones with the size and strength comparable to 4#.... I personally would like to see those two get the rock to set up 2021 season... they're both solid playing defense...

Last edited by Copley King; 05-06-19 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-06-19, 11:03 PM
All Ohio

Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Whenever Hoban's run does finally end, complacency certainly won't be why.
Old 05-06-19, 11:38 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
Whenever Hoban's run does finally end, complacency certainly won't be why.
Complacency is natural amongst people who have grown accustomed to success. And I will bet my house on East Reservoir, that the Hoban football players are just as human as the rest of us. Not saying complacency will happen there any time soon. But that it certainly can happen.
Old 05-07-19, 08:12 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
It's really quite simple. Hoban's run will end when they stop attracting the talent stream they've attracted during their run.
Old 05-07-19, 08:48 AM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
The 2.5 million dollar weightroom and the overall renovation multi million dollar deal being completed certainly doesn't hurt their ability to attract talent.

more importantly - and I am not saying these kids wouldn't have otherwise gained scholarships if they stayed at their public school - when a coach can rattle off the D1 scholly winners from his program, have strong relationships with D1 college coaches and be accessible as Tim is - then the stream of talent doesn't look to dry up anytime soon.

There will be a big AKrowdy public school collective cheer the day Tim goes to the college ranks. He has done a tremendous job there is no other way to say it.
Old 05-07-19, 08:53 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by football 101 View Post
the 2.5 million dollar weightroom and the overall renovation multi million dollar deal being completed certainly doesn't hurt their ability to attract talent.

More importantly - and i am not saying these kids wouldn't have otherwise gained scholarships if they stayed at their public school - when a coach can rattle off the d1 scholly winners from his program, have strong relationships with d1 college coaches and be accessible as tim is - then the stream of talent doesn't look to dry up anytime soon.

There will be a big akrowdy public school collective cheer the day tim goes to the college ranks. He has done a tremendous job there is no other way to say it.
👍
Old 05-07-19, 09:33 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
It's really quite simple. Hoban's run will end when they stop attracting the talent stream they've attracted during their run.
That's what it comes down to. Hope and patience, lol. Just as there was a time when Moeller, Ignatius, Newark Catholic, were simply overloaded with talent for stretches.

They kinda remind me of Mooney in the 2000's when they went to something like 7 out of 8 finals but Hoban is going off chart at this point. And just when LaSalle came back down to earth.
Old 05-07-19, 11:14 AM
All Ohio

Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Complacency is natural amongst people who have grown accustomed to success. And I will bet my house on East Reservoir, that the Hoban football players are just as human as the rest of us. Not saying complacency will happen there any time soon. But that it certainly can happen.
The great thing about college and HS football is that every team is different, and each year you have a different collection of players trying to make their own mark and create their own legacy. That's a great antidote for complacency.
Old 05-07-19, 02:50 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
The great thing about college and HS football is that every team is different, and each year you have a different collection of players trying to make their own mark and create their own legacy. That's a great antidote for complacency.
And yet, Ive seen complacency in action before. My background is in Cross Country, so you must forgive me if my anecdotes come exclusively from there.

SVSM boys cross country team of 2013. SVSM has over the years sculpted a tremendous program, qualifying to states every year. However that year, they underperformed at regionals, and got downed by CVCA, Woodridge, Field, and Chagrin Falls and didn't get to states.

The SVSM girls cross country team had won the state championships for 5 years straight, from 2009-2013. My sister was a sophomore on that 2013 team. And I must say, I know for an absolute fact, they was getting complacent in 2014. They didn't take their rivals seriously. They were not as dedicated as prior teams were. At the state championship meet, they relied on some gimmick, wearing white jerseys to throw their opponants off from their standard green jerseys. Nobody was fooled, and they got downed by impressive Lexington and Granville Teams.

My own alma mater, the Coventry cross country team has had a nice run qualifying to regionals the past 4 seasons. The 2017 team however, boy were they overconfident. They didn't realize the peril they were in until the last couple of weeks of the season, where they changed gears, and became the 4th place regional qualifying team, by like 9 places. They got lucky that year.

Point is, complacency can happen at the high school level. I have seen it with my own eyes.
Old 05-07-19, 03:00 PM
All American

Cross country and football are not the same. Hoban currently has over 80 boys lifting for football. That doesn’t include football players who are playing spring sports or incoming freshman. That doesn’t sound like complacency to me? Granted a lot are there hoping to stand on the sideline and get a ring, but that’s still a lot of kids. I heard that one of the coaches joke he may have to cut some kids. As long as coach T and his staff are there u won’t see complacency.
Old 05-07-19, 03:02 PM
All American

Quote:
Cross country and football are not the same. Hoban currently has over 80 boys lifting for football. That doesn’t include football players who are playing spring sports or incoming freshman. That doesn’t sound like complacency to me? Granted a lot are there hoping to stand on the sideline and get a ring, but that’s still a lot of kids. I heard that one of the coaches joke he may have to cut some kids. As long as coach T and his staff are there u won’t see complacency.
Very well.
Old 05-08-19, 01:22 AM
All World

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
Hoban wins their 5th consecutive State Football Title in 2019 and tie STVM with their 6th State title in 2020. The Hoban 2021 class absolutely loaded. The Irish program is shrinking (40 Varsity players). Hoban will double that number in 2019. Hoban will extend the win streak over the Irish into double digits before things balance out. At Hoban Football is a high priority as is basketball at STVM. Numbers donít lie.
Old 05-08-19, 06:07 PM
All World

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
Hoban wins their 5th consecutive State Football Title in 2019 and tie STVM with their 6th State title in 2020. The Hoban 2021 class absolutely loaded. The Irish program is shrinking (40 Varsity players). Hoban will double that number in 2019. Hoban will extend the win streak over the Irish into double digits before things balance out. At Hoban Football is a high priority as is basketball at STVM. Numbers donít lie.
Probably one of the greatest dynastyís in Ohio history. Hoban makes the D1 state finals look like the JV game
Old 05-09-19, 06:49 AM
All American

Hoban preseason USA Today #22 in the nation. Nice article about upcoming season.

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/2019-wa...ll-rankings/22
Old 05-09-19, 08:20 AM
Junior Varsity

Larry Hester is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down

Quote:
Hoban preseason USA Today #22 in the nation. Nice article about upcoming season.

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/2019-wa...ll-rankings/22
Can they actually do something on the field before we anoint them this national power? I mean they have never won a Division 1 title EVER!!! This is like people who get hot and bothered by Boise State. Yeah they do good and dominate their lower level division just like BS dominates the MWC. Put BS in the SEC and see what happens. They would get crushed week in and week out. Make Hoban play in the big side of the Suburban League and see what happens. I do not even want to mention the injuries and fatigue they would suffer if they were in the Federal League. To play Green one week and then have to go against Glenoak or Mckinley the following week, they would be too beat up to compete. BS was able to get up for a game against a big school here and there just like Hoban can. BS can stand for Boise State or the fallacy that is this Hoban preseason ranking.
Old 05-09-19, 08:24 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hester View Post
Can they actually do something on the field before we anoint them this national power? I mean they have never won a Division 1 title EVER!!! This is like people who get hot and bothered by Boise State. Yeah they do good and dominate their lower level division just like BS dominates the MWC. Put BS in the SEC and see what happens. They would get crushed week in and week out. Make Hoban play in the big side of the Suburban League and see what happens. I do not even want to mention the injuries and fatigue they would suffer if they were in the Federal League. To play Green one week and then have to go against Glenoak or Mckinley the following week, they would be too beat up to compete. BS was able to get up for a game against a big school here and there just like Hoban can. BS can stand for Boise State or the fallacy that is this Hoban preseason ranking.
With 80 Boys, representing some of the best talent from here to Youngstown, Im pretty sure Hoban would do just fine in the Suburban League. They would roll through the federal league as well. If Massillon cant beat Hoban, Canton Mckinnly and Perry definitely cant.
Old 05-09-19, 08:32 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Probably one of the greatest dynastyís in Ohio history. Hoban makes the D1 state finals look like the JV game
Agreed They have done a great job there, in all aspects
Old 05-09-19, 08:38 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
There is some truth to this statement
Old 05-09-19, 08:57 AM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
and there is also truth to the possibility that they were the best team any division in the state last year......and very well could be this year.

and any team in the sub or fed that wants to test those waters, Hoban is scrambling for games and I am certain coach T would like the closer drives. When does Wadsworth put Hoban on? Or Massillon? Or Perry? Or McKinley? Or Hudson?

the truth to my statement is Hoban will play anyone right now, why wouldn't they - they are the hottest program in NEO
Old 05-09-19, 09:16 AM
All Region

team all in is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Green? They haven't been good since 1991 and there is no hope in sight for them. Best players transferring out to schools like manchester and coventry. Federal league hasn't been good since the late 70's and the suburban has been in shambles ever since manchester left in the 80's and had to run to the PAC so they can go 9-1 every year then lose in the first round of the playoffs. Hoban could win the NCAA D3 title this year while green will be lucky to win 3
Old 05-09-19, 09:24 AM
Junior Varsity

Larry Hester is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by team all in View Post
Green? They haven't been good since 1991 and there is no hope in sight for them. Best players transferring out to schools like manchester and coventry. Federal league hasn't been good since the late 70's and the suburban has been in shambles ever since manchester left in the 80's and had to run to the PAC so they can go 9-1 every year then lose in the first round of the playoffs. Hoban could win the NCAA D3 title this year while green will be lucky to win 3
Coventry? Nobody would leave their school for the swamps of Coventry unless you were in a desperate situation like South Akron kids. Springfield and Field kids wont even entertain transferring to Coventry. Chester the molester is more worried about fake cops coming into their schools than football players.
Old 05-09-19, 09:31 AM
All Region

team all in is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Coventry? Nobody would leave their school for the swamps of Coventry unless you were in a desperate situation like South Akron kids. Springfield and Field kids wont even entertain transferring to Coventry. Chester the molester is more worried about fake cops coming into their schools than football players.
What is your grudge with Coventry and the PTC? Larry, please explain!! Manchester is a power house, until week 11
Old 05-09-19, 09:35 AM
All Ohio

SLhornet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by team all in View Post
I do not agree with Larry or all in.... BUT...
Who in the big school SL plays the PAC???
The big School SL and the FED are grinds, I have no doubt Hoban at this current state would navigate either just fine.
As to why the Big school SLs or the Federal are not running to jump on Hoban's schedule? They have tough schedules now, they need their OOC games to earn them harbins, a good loss or a blowout both earn ZERO harbins.
Just my thoughts...
Old 05-09-19, 09:43 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Always fun to speculate how a lower division might fare in D1 playoffs after a dominant year. Prior to Hoban we had this debate w/ LaSalle, Mooney, Ursuline, probably others.

I will say though in all honesty as a Massillon fan I would rather have played St. Ed than Hoban I just felt we matched up better. That's just one game though not the entire playoff gauntlet.