Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-04-19, 12:57 PM
All Ohio

Ballboy000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
Max Current would be another great hire but I doubt heíd even consider leaving Miami East. Iím sure Rick Meeks will apply
Rick Meeks has a lot of years in as a teacher. He turned down Fairborn back in 2015 because they could only give him credit for 10 years.
Old 01-04-19, 01:46 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
If I'm recalling correctly, I believe Meeks either interviewed and withdrew or may have even been offered the job at Butler the last go around. Meeks is the ultimate fool's gold. It seems like he applies for just about every bigger job that opens up in the Dayton area despite having no intention or real possibility of actually leaving Shawnee.

It wouldn't be surprising if he applies and gets an interview. It seems to happen with him on almost a yearly basis.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-19, 01:55 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
If I'm recalling correctly, I believe Meeks either interviewed and withdrew or may have even been offered the job at Butler the last go around. Meeks is the ultimate fool's gold. It seems like he applies for just about every bigger job that opens up in the Dayton area despite having no intention or real possibility of actually leaving Shawnee.

It wouldn't be surprising if he applies and gets an interview. It seems to happen with him on almost a yearly basis.

Meeks is probably just looking for the right offer whenever he applies. Jobs can be created on the Administrative side of the house that do not fall under the Union Contract rules. That is how most coaches that have any length of time as teachers are hired into a district. That or a separate agreement to raise the coach/teachers step after the first year.
Old 01-04-19, 02:10 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
43-57 at Beavercreek is good, and he’s had two consecutive winning seasons at Bethel
That depends on how you look at it. Beavercreek has a male enrollment of 1009 boys which is second highest in the Miami Valley to Centerville's 1024 boys. Contrast that to Wayne's 723 & Northmonts 659 boys enrolled and there is no reason that Beavercreek should not be a juggernaut in all athletics most years. They have a huge player pool advantage.
Old 01-04-19, 02:14 PM
All Yappi

There's a reason Beavercreek is often subpar in both football and basketball. Huge enrollment, but they often lack the athletic talent that Wayne, Northmont, Springfield, etc. have. With their demographic they seem to struggle tremendously in those two sports while being dominant in soccer, cross country, track, etc.

Clodfelter made them respectable. It seems like it's incredibly difficult to be better than 5-5 or 6-4 at Beavercreek.

Old 01-04-19, 02:18 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballboy000 View Post
Meeks is probably just looking for the right offer whenever he applies. Jobs can be created on the Administrative side of the house that do not fall under the Union Contract rules. That is how most coaches that have any length of time as teachers are hired into a district. That or a separate agreement to raise the coach/teachers step after the first year.
An admin job is the only way he can leave Shawnee, unless he just really wants out. I can't see him pulling that at Tipp. Around Dayton, barring a surprise only the really large D1s can pull that off. Springfield is realistically the only one of those jobs he's ever getting.

Old 01-04-19, 02:32 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
An admin job is the only way he can leave Shawnee, unless he just really wants out. I can't see him pulling that at Tipp. Around Dayton, barring a surprise only the really large D1s can pull that off. Springfield is realistically the only one of those jobs he's ever getting.

You would be surprised at how many schools use those hiring tactics. Burg hired Channel on the Admin side as Student Reassignment & Detention Monitor. Wayne hired Menton as Head Coach & AD as many have done. I could go on and on, especially if we threw the Cincinnati area into the discussion. Many are hired on the Admin side as Dean of Students etc;
Old 01-04-19, 02:41 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
There's a reason Beavercreek is often subpar in both football and basketball. Huge enrollment, but they often lack the athletic talent that Wayne, Northmont, Springfield, etc. have. With their demographic they seem to struggle tremendously in those two sports while being dominant in soccer, cross country, track, etc.

Clodfelter made them respectable. It seems like it's incredibly difficult to be better than 5-5 or 6-4 at Beavercreek.

Being pretty familiar with all of four of those communities myself, I would say that Beavercreek and Northmont are very close demographically, although Creek has 350 more boys to draw from than the Bolts do.

Last edited by Ballboy000; 01-04-19 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-04-19, 02:56 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK Strong View Post
I understand that Miamisburg is a D1 program, but I am not sure I would want to be in the meat-grinder of the GWOC each week as one of the smallest D1 schools. It would be very difficult to be a consistent winner regardless of offense.
Tell the Tipp parents that. Tipp is the smallest team in the GWOC by far and will still be the smallest team in the MVL with only 296 boys to draw from.
Old 01-04-19, 03:17 PM
Freshman

Sportsminded is on a distinguished road
What a shame that Tipp is losing not only a good coach but a great role model for the players. I would hate to see Tipp not running the wing-t. Really enjoyed watching the way they ran it.

Tippisgreat, you say family issues were cited. Where? Not in the letter you posted. Were you in the meeting? I only say this because that is the go to reason that an administration might give. Could it be there are other issues? Seems an awful lot of coaches have been turned over in the last 5 years in multiple sports at Tipp. I have heard rumors of the AD putting his name in for a number of different positions. Maybe he isn't well liked and is losing coaches. Maybe it has to do with the administration, parents or even the students. Who knows. I just wouldn't assume that family issues are the reason. Just a thought.
Old 01-04-19, 04:32 PM
All Ohio

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Is Derge going to Miamisburg now?
Old 01-04-19, 04:49 PM
All Ohio

wrestlingdad33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsminded View Post
What a shame that Tipp is losing not only a good coach but a great role model for the players. I would hate to see Tipp not running the wing-t. Really enjoyed watching the way they ran it.

Tippisgreat, you say family issues were cited. Where? Not in the letter you posted. Were you in the meeting? I only say this because that is the go to reason that an administration might give. Could it be there are other issues? Seems an awful lot of coaches have been turned over in the last 5 years in multiple sports at Tipp. I have heard rumors of the AD putting his name in for a number of different positions. Maybe he isn't well liked and is losing coaches. Maybe it has to do with the administration, parents or even the students. Who knows. I just wouldn't assume that family issues are the reason. Just a thought.
I am not sure what information you have been fed but the AD is Awesome. He is working for the Kids. Making sure they have new uniforms, gear and scheduled with competitive teams. (Three things the clown before him was not doing) I have heard and experienced nothing but great things about the AD and can not seen him leaving.

Maybe just maybe that the coaches that are leaving are not quality coaches and should bump it on down the road! Or Maybe you are right and the AD is holding people accountable and they are given the option to resign or get fired! (Shame on the AD for doing his job)

Personally I don't really care what reasons the administration gives for him leaving. If he needs help cleaning out his office tell him to call me I will gladly help him.... BYE BYE!
Old 01-04-19, 05:11 PM
All Yappi

My perception from afar and from what the opinions of other coaches that I've talked to is that Tipp appears to be a very demanding place to coach. Whether it's parents, adminstrators, or both, it seems like head coaches as of late have been burning out or getting run out at a pretty high rate.

A good example would be a few years ago when both their boys and girls basketball coaches resigned IN-SEASON. HOFer and winner of 500+ games Jim Staley only made it through about a dozen games and 2-3 wins in his first year. The same year their girls coach resigned after maybe 7-8 games in a year in which they made it to the regional finals and were ranked in the top 3-4 in the state all year in D2. Win or lose, it appears to be a tough place to survive at IMO.

Old 01-04-19, 05:19 PM
All District

fangwoc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Coach Clodfelter has an overall 73-78 record over 15 years which is a 48.3% winning percentage. He was 43-57 at D1 Beavercreek over 10 seasons and is 30-21 at D4 Bethel over 5 seasons. Last season he was 6-4. His last season at Creek was 5-5. His last two Beavercreek teams averaged running the ball 57 times and passing 6 times per game. He runs the Triple Option.
Most Wins In Beavercreek History! A share of a GWOC Central Title, beat Wayne and centerville in the same year. He made Beavercreek respectable, its back down in the dumps now.

At bethel, improved the overall program, has had several winning seasons including 7-3, 9-1, 6-4 the last couple of years and a trip to the playoffs something Bethel hadnít donít since the early 2000ís

The triple keeps average athletes in the game, similar concept with the wing t.
Old 01-04-19, 05:30 PM
All American

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My perception from afar and from what the opinions of other coaches that I've talked to is that Tipp appears to be a very demanding place to coach. Whether it's parents, adminstrators, or both, it seems like head coaches as of late have been burning out or getting run out at a pretty high rate.

A good example would be a few years ago when both their boys and girls basketball coaches resigned IN-SEASON. HOFer and winner of 500+ games Jim Staley only made it through about a dozen games and 2-3 wins in his first year. The same year their girls coach resigned after maybe 7-8 games in a year in which they made it to the regional finals and were ranked in the top 3-4 in the state all year in D2. Win or lose, it appears to be a tough place to survive at IMO.

That year Staley started 1-10 and there were issues with his treatment of players. The girls coach resigned after it was found out he had an affair with an assistant coach. Andy Holderman has been the girls coach for 5 or 6 years now, Bruce Cahill has been coaching baseball at Tipp for 30+ years and the Volleyball coach has also been at Tipp for 5 years. Tipp has had the same boys and girls soccer and cross country coaches for as long as I can remember so Iím not so sure about that running coaches out thing. The coaches who have won at Tipp still coach at Tipp.
Old 01-04-19, 05:31 PM
All American

As for JD. He is a great AD, the kids love him and he puts a lot of work into the school. Teachers and coaches get along with him great as well.
Old 01-04-19, 05:36 PM
All District

FeartheRooster is on a distinguished road
Whatever the case as far as the head coach search is, unless the allow him to bring good coaches into the district they will always be a few steps behind. For example...letís put beautiful terf in but retain a stadium with snow fence. Itís completely left half-a...incomplete, much like Dergeís staff. The guy did virtually everything (right or wrong) and had inexperienced help behind him. You need coaches that are good FOOTBALL teachers, not guys that coach from Amazon football books or twitter links. If admin values winning theyíll step up.
Old 01-04-19, 06:37 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangwoc View Post
Most Wins In Beavercreek History! A share of a GWOC Central Title, beat Wayne and centerville in the same year. He made Beavercreek respectable, its back down in the dumps now.

At bethel, improved the overall program, has had several winning seasons including 7-3, 9-1, 6-4 the last couple of years and a trip to the playoffs something Bethel hadnít donít since the early 2000ís

The triple keeps average athletes in the game, similar concept with the wing t.
Coach Clodfelter had 3 winning seasons in 10 years at Creek with 7-3 in 2012 being the best. He also had losing seasons of 2-8, 2-8, & 1-9. Maybe you are talking about overall career wins at 43-57 being the most in history? Jim Place had an 8-2 record at Creek in 1980 and Paul Martin coached the Beavers to consecutive 8-2,10-0, and 8-2 records in 67-69. Martin won the WOL back to back & Dave Miller the father of Fairmont's coach Dave Miller Jr won a tie for the WOL for Creek in 1985 beating Centerville & Kirk Herbstreit. Coach Clodfelter did do better at Creek than the other coaches in between Dave Miller and Coach Black.
Old 01-04-19, 06:41 PM
All Ohio

HomeRunsNDunks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tyler Wright will be a very good head coach someday. Knows his offense & has some knowledge of college recruiting which is important. Also knows how to utilize the HUDL Scouting Center to create scouting reports on opponents. He runs a spread RPO attack utilizing tempo. Has a bright future.
I donít know the situation or his thoughts, but Wright seems to be a Troy guy until he dies. Both him and his wife are Troy grads and now teach at Troy, lives in Troy, even the weight room coordinator in the spring when the other one coaches track. Iím sure there is allure to him being a head coach but I would be a bit shocked if he takes a job like Tipp City. Maybe something like Troy Christian, Miami East, Covington, etc. but I donít know if he would go to a competitor like that. Seems like he go to a smaller school and be set up to be the head coach at Troy down the road.
Old 01-04-19, 06:51 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeRunsNDunks View Post
I donít know the situation or his thoughts, but Wright seems to be a Troy guy until he dies. Both him and his wife are Troy grads and now teach at Troy, lives in Troy, even the weight room coordinator in the spring when the other one coaches track. Iím sure there is allure to him being a head coach but I would be a bit shocked if he takes a job like Tipp City. Maybe something like Troy Christian, Miami East, Covington, etc. but I donít know if he would go to a competitor like that. Seems like he go to a smaller school and be set up to be the head coach at Troy down the road.
My guess is that he will stay at Troy for a few more years. He is still young and has time.
Old 01-04-19, 07:41 PM
Freshman

AMVET1947 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeRunsNDunks View Post
He is a Troy guy, but heís in a peculiar situation. He is young, 28 or 29, came with Burgbacher 4 years ago. Has had success as QB coach, special teams coordinator and then OC at Troy. But Iíve heard from people heís ready to be a HC, and could be next at Troy. However, does he sit and wait for Burgbacher to leave or retire? That could be 15+ years. Or does he leave to come home later? Teaching years are big after 10 years.
Old 01-04-19, 08:08 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMVET1947 View Post
He is a Troy guy, but heís in a peculiar situation. He is young, 28 or 29, came with Burgbacher 4 years ago. Has had success as QB coach, special teams coordinator and then OC at Troy. But Iíve heard from people heís ready to be a HC, and could be next at Troy. However, does he sit and wait for Burgbacher to leave or retire? That could be 15+ years. Or does he leave to come home later? Teaching years are big after 10 years.
Whose to say Burbacher donít come back to Tipp?
Old 01-04-19, 08:31 PM
Freshman

AMVET1947 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Besides it being his alma mater, why would he?
Old 01-04-19, 09:06 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
That would certainly be an unexpected turn of events. I can't see Burbacher leaving Troy. He has the advantage at Troy in the MVL with more boys enrolled at 513 than any other MVL school. Here is the Male Enrollment at all MVL schools:

Troy 513
Xenia 508
Stebbins 463
Fairborn 440
Sidney 421
Butler 385
Piqua 381
West Carrollton 354
Greenville 315
Tippecanoe 296
Old 01-04-19, 09:18 PM
All Yappi

That would be an interesting turn of events. IMO, Troy is set up to dominate on a yearly basis in the MVL.

Old 01-04-19, 09:22 PM
All Region

OHFball10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMVET1947 View Post
While I do think he could be a great HC now, Tyler Wright is most likely committed to Troy for the long haul. Being as young as he is, I would bet he can get players to relate to his system and really buy in. Probably similar to how Carter is finding success at Northwestern.

He could do great things at Tipp, but that won't happen. He loves Troy too much, and there's not enough incentive to want to jump to a HC position if it's not a program you're passionate about.
Old 01-04-19, 09:23 PM
All American

I think the allure of coaching at your Alma mater where your dad is a legend could be a huge pull. Also think of this, if Matt came to Tipp Charlie would most certainly come with him and be able to retire as a Devil. Far fetched? Maybe but never say never
Old 01-04-19, 09:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
That year Staley started 1-10 and there were issues with his treatment of players. The girls coach resigned after it was found out he had an affair with an assistant coach. Andy Holderman has been the girls coach for 5 or 6 years now, Bruce Cahill has been coaching baseball at Tipp for 30+ years and the Volleyball coach has also been at Tipp for 5 years. Tipp has had the same boys and girls soccer and cross country coaches for as long as I can remember so Iím not so sure about that running coaches out thing. The coaches who have won at Tipp still coach at Tipp.
I'd forgotten about the affair thing. I remember that now. The Staley thing seemed very odd. By mid-season it seemed like he was at a breaking point with parents and community. It seemed like a tremendous lack of patience all around. For various reasons, that job has seemed like a revolving door since. I know Visser did a fantastic job and left pretty quickly due a spousal job relocation, and that's nobody's fault. Right or wrong, I think especially with the boys basketball job, a lot of folks (myself included) think it's high maintenance.

Despite doubts about having a lower enrollment relative to MVL competition, I think this is a really good football job. Outside of Troy and Piqua, it seems like everybody else is very cyclically up and down or consistently poor. IMO, unless there's a really down senior class, they should virtually always be at worst 5-4 in league play every year. I see a lot of winning seasons on the horizon. Probably not CBC good record-wise, but definitely better than the current GWOC setup and probably consistently in the playoff picture again.

Old 01-04-19, 09:38 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I think the allure of coaching at your Alma mater where your dad is a legend could be a huge pull. Also think of this, if Matt came to Tipp Charlie would most certainly come with him and be able to retire as a Devil. Far fetched? Maybe but never say never
It would have to be for the reason you cited. From a coaching standpoint it would just not make sense moving from Troy that is sitting on top of the league and has the biggest talent pool to Tipp which has the smallest talent pool to draw from.
Old 01-04-19, 09:58 PM
All American

Quote:
It would have to be for the reason you cited. From a coaching standpoint it would just not make sense moving from Troy that is sitting on top of the league and has the biggest talent pool to Tipp which has the smallest talent pool to draw from.
Yes I agree with you on this, but if what I told you is true it makes sense