Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-25-19, 12:59 PM
All District

Alliance1 is on a distinguished road
Excited for week 1. This 50 point beatdown last year really kicked them into shape for the aviators imo. I think this year it will be a much more competitive game
Old 05-28-19, 08:14 PM
All District

HE74 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto21 View Post
I guarantee you, that is not the reason for this. The younger generation seems to have a lot more demands for their time. The Club members spent a lot of hours fund raising and it was always the core members doing it. Plus the fact the big industries that were a big source of income are here no longer.
Hubbard has two additional booster clubs raising funds. The Football Moms and the Touchdown Club.
I won't get into why the Gridiron Club dissolved.
My Mother was one of the founding members of the Football Mothers Club (1969-70) and past President. It was Dave Beckman's idea. They fed us during two a days and Friday nights. My recollection is that they had a large group of Moms participating. Of course that was during the "baby boom" era. We had 110 guys on the 1969 team.

I thought the Gridiron Club started earlier than 1973. (As stated in the earlier quoted article) Didn't the guys from the GC build the Eagles Nest locker room in 1968?-behind the shop class building. I could be wrong.
Old 05-29-19, 12:50 PM
All American

roberto21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HE74 View Post
My Mother was one of the founding members of the Football Mothers Club (1969-70) and past President. It was Dave Beckman's idea. They fed us during two a days and Friday nights. My recollection is that they had a large group of Moms participating. Of course that was during the "baby boom" era. We had 110 guys on the 1969 team.

I thought the Gridiron Club started earlier than 1973. (As stated in the earlier quoted article) Didn't the guys from the GC build the Eagles Nest locker room in 1968?-behind the shop class building. I could be wrong.
“Eagles Nest” Now Completed
Last Friday night (16 August 1968), the Eagles Nest was inspected by several hundred residents of Hubbard. Everyone attending gave their unconditional approval of the job and excellent new facility. The coaching staff, all of whom spent many hours working on the construction of the building, wish to thank the people of Hubbard and area for their generous donations. Mr. and Mrs. Henry Trebus did a fine job of collecting funds and are greatly thanked.
Source: “Hubbard News”, Hubbard, OH, Wednesday, 21 August 1968, Page #13

My comments:
In articles leading up to the completion the following had provided their full support:
Hubbard Boosters, Hubbard Boosterettes, Hubbard JayCees, Hubbard Kiwanis Club, “Hubbard News”. The LaCivita Bros. installed the 70 x 20 roof and the fundraising campaign was “Buy a Block for a Buck” and for a $5 donation you got your name in the program.
You are correct about being Dave Beckman's idea. He was the driving force behind the project.
Football Moms were a great organization and helped the kids out a great deal.
So the Gridiron Club wasn’t formed until 1973. I joined about that time.
I believe the Eagles Nest caught fire at some point and the Gridiron Club donated funds to rebuild it. This is from my memory and is unconfirmed.

35 Attend First Meeting of Football Mothers Club
HUBBARD – Last week, some 35 mothers of Hubbard High School football hopefuls gathered at the high school for a preliminary organizational meeting of a Football Mothers Club. Head Coach, Dave Beckman chair-manned the short program and appointed two committees.
One group of ladies will put their heads together to come up with a slate of officers to be elected at the next meeting, on Monday, June 23 (1969) at 7:30 p.m. in the school cafeteria. The other group will make an effort to contact mothers of every gridder, in an effort to get as many mothers as possible to attend the next meeting.
Coach Beckman seemed elated over the turnout at the first meeting and more than welcomes the coming meeting on June 23. After officers are elected, a short business meeting will be held in order to get the club’s feet on the ground. The purpose of the organization is not to raise funds, but merely to help coordinate relations between players, families and the community.
Source: “Hubbard News”, Hubbard, OH, Wednesday, 18 June 1969, Page #13/21
Old 06-03-19, 06:53 PM
All Region

coldshoulder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I guarantee you, that is not the reason for this. The younger generation seems to have a lot more demands for their time. The Club members spent a lot of hours fund raising and it was always the core members doing it. Plus the fact the big industries that were a big source of income are here no longer.
Hubbard has two additional booster clubs raising funds. The Football Moms and the Touchdown Club.
I won't get into why the Gridiron Club dissolved.
Here's a recent story from the Warren Tribune:

The club, formed in 1973, consisted of a group of Hubbard alumni, school supporters and community members that became one of the largest support groups of the Hubbard School District. The group has decided to dissolve.

“Years ago, we had a good core group but over the years, those hard workers have passed away or retired, so we don’t have any manpower anymore,” said Donald Williams, president of the gridiron club. “We really don’t like to see it fold.”

Link:

https://www.tribtoday.com/news/local...ck-of-members/
Old 06-05-19, 11:21 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:

^ I count 63 in the yearbook. 63 varsity and 47 jv?

Eagles beat Fitch 31-0 early in the year and lost to Brookfield 6-0 late in the year. What happened that season. Fitch down and Brookfield up? Can't recall.

Thanks for the interesting info. 'Tis a shame. Maybe it will get re-started...
Old 06-06-19, 08:48 AM
All Ohio

YTOWN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post

Eagles beat Fitch 31-0 early in the year and lost to Brookfield 6-0 late in the year. What happened that season. Fitch down and Brookfield up? Can't recall.

1969 was a rather strange football year. Mooney and Ursuline had been accepted into the SVC but were not eligible for the title until the 1970 season. Fitch actually won the SVC title but they were only 6-4. In addition to that bad loss to Hubbard the Falcons were blasted by WWR 34-0 and Mooney and Ursuline both beat the Falcons. Obviously those two losses did not count in the SVC standings for Fitch. Mooney was 4-6 and that was Don Bucci's only losing season as the Cardinals' HC but Fitch was one of the Cardinals' wins. As a matter of fact all 4 of Mooney's wins were against SVC teams including a 6-0 win over Struthers that snapped a 24-game unbeaten streak for the Wildcats.

If I remember correctly Hubbard started something like 4-1 and then lost their last 5 games. They had a few D1 guys. I remember Leslie Block and Bill Driscoll and Henry Axel on that Hubbard team. I believe Mr. Block went on to play at Pitt and Mr. Driscoll at Mia(O).

Junior RB Andy Kuchmaner was the big gun for Fitch.
Old 06-06-19, 12:44 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by YTOWN View Post
1969 was a rather strange football year. Mooney and Ursuline had been accepted into the SVC but were not eligible for the title until the 1970 season. Fitch actually won the SVC title but they were only 6-4. In addition to that bad loss to Hubbard the Falcons were blasted by WWR 34-0 and Mooney and Ursuline both beat the Falcons. Obviously those two losses did not count in the SVC standings for Fitch. Mooney was 4-6 and that was Don Bucci's only losing season as the Cardinals' HC but Fitch was one of the Cardinals' wins. As a matter of fact all 4 of Mooney's wins were against SVC teams including a 6-0 win over Struthers that snapped a 24-game unbeaten streak for the Wildcats.

If I remember correctly Hubbard started something like 4-1 and then lost their last 5 games. They had a few D1 guys. I remember Leslie Block and Bill Driscoll and Henry Axel on that Hubbard team. I believe Mr. Block went on to play at Pitt and Mr. Driscoll at Mia(O).

It’s crazy how much knowledge you have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-19, 06:37 PM
All World

Quote:

Yes. Hubbard lost the opener to Ravenna 22-8 and then won the next four. (The yearbook has the score reversed, but accurately notes the Eagles' record as 4-6 that season). And, yes they lost the last five games, starting with a lop-sided loss to Howland. 48-14? I don't have the yearbook in front of me, but included in the group of games were one TD losses to Boardman and Struthers (iirc).

I also recall Leslie went to Pitt, however, I don't remember about Bill. (I have confidence you are correct. Henry was mentioned in an earlier thread. I can think of a couple or few other good players, too, on that team. Thanks for the insights - always good to hear about those days in the old, old SVC.
Old 06-07-19, 07:38 PM
All World

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post

Wait is this also the season Hubbard's star running back was kicked off the team after being seen leaving a liquor store in town. I remember it was after they handled Fitch week 1. Can't remember the year. I could be wrong but i remember something like that. Hubbard was a strong favorite to win the SVC the year that happened.
Old 06-08-19, 08:29 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster4321 View Post
Wait is this also the season Hubbard's star running back was kicked off the team after being seen leaving a liquor store in town. I remember it was after they handled Fitch week 1. Can't remember the year. I could be wrong but i remember something like that. Hubbard was a strong favorite to win the SVC the year that happened.
While I cannot say that I remember Fitch ever opening with Hubbard in the Eagles' days as a member of the SVC I am positive they did not in 1969. That was my senior year and I know that Chaney and Fitch started playing each other in week one that season and continued playing each other in week one most seasons until Chaney dropped football after the 2010 season. As a matter of fact the 1969 Chaney-Fitch game was the 1st game ever played at the current Fitch stadium.

I seem to remember Fitch and Hubbard playing in week 3 in those years but I could be wrong about that.

PS: Who was the Hubbard RB that you are thinking of?

Last edited by YTOWN; 06-08-19 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-08-19, 08:41 AM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
I believe that Hubbard lost to Ravenna game 1, won the next 4, then things happened. 4-6.

***My bad, did not see Post #128.

Last edited by Gardens35; 06-08-19 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-08-19, 04:20 PM
All District

The best running back on the '69 team was Ricky Pappa. He ran for about 169 yards against Fitch. He tore up a knee later in the season. Jerry Maruskin was good (not the "star" RB) but he shared duties with Driscoll, Budd, and Jackson.

Bill Driscoll went to Miami where they turned him into a DT. The '69 senior that had the best collegiate career was Herman Jackson. (later to become a school principal) Jackson was an outstanding DE at Miami and All Mid American Conference. I think he was 2nd team AP All American his senior year.

Eagles lost to Ravenna in the first game then beat Girard 51-14. Billy Budd ran back the kickoff down the left sideline untouched for a TD. Then we beat Fitch 31-0 in game 3. Fitch's offense never crossed the 50 yard line in the second half of the game. After beating Campbell and JFK we played Howland.

The Howland players came onto the field with "Walker" taped onto the front of their helmets. I guess they were trying to intimidate our QB Rod Walker. I thought it was bush league. The Eagles were totally flat for that game and lost 28-6. That started the down slide. We lost 2 very close battles with Boardman and Struthers. 26-22 and 20-13.

We weren't able to get back on track and finished with losses to Brookfield and Ursuline.

The '69 Eagles had an outstanding defense with linemen Tony (Face) Axel and Jim Burrows playing the strong side of the DL and Gary Kuty and Jack Tedrow on the short side of the field. Steve Vargo at MG. L Block strong side LB, Bill Driscoll in the middle and Rick Ridel, Joe Marino, Herman Jackson, Jerry Maruskin, and Billy Budd in the backfield.

The coaches were Dave Beckman (HC), Bill Lynch, Paul Wolfe, Tony Aiello, and Mario Grilli.

Last edited by HE74; 06-08-19 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-08-19, 09:22 PM
All American

SOARING-EAGLE is on a distinguished road
Joey Marino was my neighbor on Thomas rd. in Hubbard township.....His dad was the time keeper for years for little league football. Joey ended up getting killed on his trike and I remember seeing his bike after the accident in his dads garage. He was one hell of a motor cycle mechanic!!
Old 06-08-19, 09:55 PM
All World

Quote:
The best running back on the '69 team was Ricky Pappa. He ran for about 169 yards against Fitch. He tore up a knee later in the season. Jerry Maruskin was good (not the "star" RB) but he shared duties with Driscoll, Budd, and Jackson.

Bill Driscoll went to Miami where they turned him into a DT. The '69 senior that had the best collegiate career was Herman Jackson. (later to become a school principal) Jackson was an outstanding DE at Miami and All Mid American Conference. I think he was 2nd team AP All American his senior year.

Eagles lost to Ravenna in the first game then beat Girard 51-14. Billy Budd ran back the kickoff down the left sideline untouched for a TD. Then we beat Fitch 31-0 in game 3. Fitch's offense never crossed the 50 yard line in the second half of the game. After beating Campbell and JFK we played Howland.

The Howland players came onto the field with "Walker" taped onto the front of their helmets. I guess they were trying to intimidate our QB Rod Walker. I thought it was bush league. The Eagles were totally flat for that game and lost 28-6. That started the down slide. We lost 2 very close battles with Boardman and Struthers. 26-22 and 20-13.

We weren't able to get back on track and finished with losses to Brookfield and Ursuline.

The '69 Eagles had an outstanding defense with linemen Tony (Face) Axel and Jim Burrows playing the strong side of the DL and Gary Kuty and Jack Tedrow on the short side of the field. Steve Vargo at MG. L Block strong side LB, Bill Driscoll in the middle and Rick Ridel, Joe Marino, Herman Jackson, Jerry Maruskin, and Billy Budd in the backfield.

The coaches were Dave Beckman (HC), Bill Lynch, Paul Wolfe, Tony Aiello, and Mario Grilli.
I have that play etched in my head. Electric. Walker, a great athlete, was also the punter. Jackson was a beast.
Old 06-09-19, 11:55 AM
All World

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
While I cannot say that I remember Fitch ever opening with Hubbard in the Eagles' days as a member of the SVC I am positive they did not in 1969. That was my senior year and I know that Chaney and Fitch started playing each other in week one that season and continued playing each other in week one most seasons until Chaney dropped football after the 2010 season. As a matter of fact the 1969 Chaney-Fitch game was the 1st game ever played at the current Fitch stadium.

I seem to remember Fitch and Hubbard playing in week 3 in those years but I could be wrong about that.

PS: Who was the Hubbard RB that you are thinking of?

It was Billy Budd(credit Gardens). Yes sorry it was game 3 not week one. Now if I'm right it was Budd that was kicked off that team which kickstarted the Eagles downfall that season.
Old 06-09-19, 12:30 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
It was Billy Budd(credit Gardens). Yes sorry it was game 3 not week one. Now if I'm right it was Budd that was kicked off that team which kickstarted the Eagles downfall that season.
I can't say that I really remember Mr. Budd as a RB for the Eagles. I remember the book and movie of the same name. Thanks.

I was going to mention Herman Jackson but I was thinking that he might have graduated the year before and headed down to Mia (O) with Eagle alum John Saccomen. As mentioned Mr. Jackson had a very good career for Miami. He did a great job as HC at Youngstown East also winning a couple of league titles and guiding the Golden Bears to their first ever playoff berth. That 86 East team was very good.
Old 06-09-19, 12:38 PM
All District

Quote:
No, it was Jerry Maruskin. Ricky Pappa's injury had more impact. The Howland game and the fact that we hit every day in practice was much more significant.

Today they have a rule limiting contact drills to 30 minutes. During 2 a days in 1969 almost every drill was a contact drill. We would hit for 2 or 3 hours a day during the summer. Especially if you were a starter and a linemen. (blocking drills, tackling drills and scrimmages) I think it was John Saccomen that told me we had far more contact drills than colleges do. We were worn out. I think the coaches realized that too, because the next season we did not have as many contact drills.

OHSSA Sports Regulation
1.18.2) A student-athlete is limited to 30 minutes of full contact in practice
per day
Old 06-09-19, 12:48 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOARING-EAGLE View Post
Joey Marino was my neighbor on Thomas rd. in Hubbard township.....His dad was the time keeper for years for little league football. Joey ended up getting killed on his trike and I remember seeing his bike after the accident in his dads garage. He was one hell of a motor cycle mechanic!!

Joe was killed when a car turned into him while he was riding his motorcycle in the early 70's. Joe was a great guy. Always very positive.

Rod Walker was killed in a car accident in the mid 80's. He was a very good baseball player too.
Old 06-09-19, 01:15 PM
All District

Quote:
I can't say that I really remember Mr. Budd as a RB for the Eagles. I remember the book and movie of the same name. Thanks.

I was going to mention Herman Jackson but I was thinking that he might have graduated the year before and headed down to Mia (O) with Eagle alum John Saccomen. As mentioned Mr. Jackson had a very good career for Miami. He did a great job as HC at Youngstown East also winning a couple of league titles and guiding the Golden Bears to their first ever playoff berth. That 86 East team was very good.
A lot of guys on that team went into coaching. Besides Herman, Bill Driscoll, Dan Kukura and John Saccomen are three I can think of offhand.

Saccomen's last season was 68. He and John Cornwell went to Miami. I think Sac was Miami team captain his senior year.
Old 06-09-19, 02:10 PM
All American

Quote:
Joe was killed when a car turned into him while he was riding his motorcycle in the early 70's. Joe was a great guy. Always very positive.

Rod Walker was killed in a car accident in the mid 80's. He was a very good baseball player too.
It was actually a Trike that he was killed on and his girl friend was on the back of that bike also and she lived.....She had to have a long steel rod put in her leg cause it was crushed really bad. And yes Joe was a really good guy I used to watch him for hours tear apart his motorcycle engine and put it back together lol!! His mother used to race motorcycles in the early days and his father was a mechanic for years at the old Stiver Chevrolet..... Really good people....
Old 06-09-19, 03:49 PM
All District

HUBBARD—Funeral services were held July 7 in S. St. Patrick’s Church for Joseph Marino Jr., 24, of 108 Thomas Rd., who was pronounced dead of injuries received in a motorcycle accident in S. Racoon Rd., Austintown, Saturday, July 3 in St. Elizabeth Hospital. Mr. Marino was born Sept. 2,1951, in Youngstown, a son of Joseph and Kathleen Farley Marino and worked in the maintenance department of General Electric Corp. and was a member of the church. He leaves his parents of Hubbard; two sisters, Mrs. Pam Krantz of Youngstown and Mrs. Kathy Budd of Hubbard; his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Marino of Niles and Mr. and Mrs. Paul Farley of Portsmouth. Interment was by the Kelley and Son Funeral Home.

He had many friends.
Old 06-09-19, 04:37 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
A lot of guys on that team went into coaching. Besides Herman, Bill Driscoll, Dan Kukura and John Saccomen are three I can think of offhand.

Saccomen's last season was 68. He and John Cornwell went to Miami. I think Sac was Miami team captain his senior year.
John Saccomen is still coaching at Ashland U. isn't he?

I know Dan Kukura coached at Mooney for at least 4 seasons. He was a member of the staff for two state champions, 1980 & 82. IIRC he played his college ball at Kent St.

The entire area has turned out a ton of coaches over the years.
Old 06-09-19, 07:49 PM
All American

Quote:
HUBBARD—Funeral services were held July 7 in S. St. Patrick’s Church for Joseph Marino Jr., 24, of 108 Thomas Rd., who was pronounced dead of injuries received in a motorcycle accident in S. Racoon Rd., Austintown, Saturday, July 3 in St. Elizabeth Hospital. Mr. Marino was born Sept. 2,1951, in Youngstown, a son of Joseph and Kathleen Farley Marino and worked in the maintenance department of General Electric Corp. and was a member of the church. He leaves his parents of Hubbard; two sisters, Mrs. Pam Krantz of Youngstown and Mrs. Kathy Budd of Hubbard; his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Marino of Niles and Mr. and Mrs. Paul Farley of Portsmouth. Interment was by the Kelley and Son Funeral Home.

He had many friends.
Ty
Old 06-10-19, 11:19 AM
All District

Quote:
John Saccomen is still coaching at Ashland U. isn't he?

I know Dan Kukura coached at Mooney for at least 4 seasons. He was a member of the staff for two state champions, 1980 & 82. IIRC he played his college ball at Kent St.

The entire area has turned out a ton of coaches over the years.
yes. Once an Eagle always an Eagle!

Football
Name Title Phone E-Mail
Lee Owens
Head Football Coach
419-289-5447 lowens1@ashland.edu
Doug Geiser
Associate Head Football Coach - Offensive Line/Run Game Coordinator
419-289-5437 dgeiser@ashland.edu
Tim Rose
Assistant Football Coach - Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
419-289-5278 trose1@ashland.edu
Tom Stacy
Assistant Football Coach - Quarterbacks/Passing Game Coordinator/Head Junior Varsity Coach
419-289-5720 tstacy@ashland.edu
Reggie Gamble
Assistant Football Coach - Offensive Tackles/Tight Ends/Fullbacks
419-289-5818 rgamble@ashland.edu
Dirk Dickerhoof
Assistant Football Coach - Safeties/Recruiting Coordinator
419-207-6151 ddickerh@ashland.edu
Coty Burton
Assistant Football Coach - Director of Football Operations/Cornerbacks/Whips
419-289-5276 cburton1@ashland.edu
John Saccomen
Assistant Football Coach - Interior Defensive Line
419-289-5455 msaccome@ashland.edu
Kyohei Kosaka
Graduate Assistant Coach - Outside Linebackers
419-289-5439 kkosaka@ashland.edu
Dominick Orsini
Graduate Assistant Coach - Offense/Video Coordinator
419-289-5439 dorsini@ashland.edu
Old 06-10-19, 11:34 AM
All American

1969 Hubbard Eagles
4-6

Sept. 5 A Hubbard 8 Ravenna 22 L
Sept. 12 H Hubbard 51 Girard 14 W *
Sept. 19 A Hubbard 31 Fitch 0 W *
Sept. 26 H Hubbard 14 Campbell 8 W *
Oct. 3 H Hubbard 38 Warren JFK 6 W
Oct. 10 A Hubbard 6 Howland 28 L
Oct. 17 A Hubbard 22 Boardman 26 L *
Oct. 24 H Hubbard 13 Struthers 20 L *
Oct. 31 A Hubbard 0 Brookfield 6 L *
Nov. 8 A Hubbard 0 Ursuline 16 L (at Rayen Stadium)

*Steel Valley Conference games (3-3)

Head Coach: David Beckman (Second and final year, 7-12-1)

Last edited by roberto21; 06-10-19 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-10-19, 11:35 AM
All American

Game #3 .. played on Friday, 19 September 1969 at Fitch Stadium

Hubbard 28 Austintown Fitch 0

The resurgent Hubbard High Eagles now find themselves in the thick of things in the Steel Valley Conference. Their win over Fitch proved that they are for real and that they must be reckoned with by other SVC teams. It is amazing what a little confidence will do for a team, and the way the Eagles have come along is just great.
Offensively the Eagles have really progressed. It looked as though they would be lucky to score against Fitch in the first quarter but they pushed across a touchdown and then another and another and another. They couldn't be stopped.
Herm Jackson got the Eagles moving in the second quarter with a punt return to around the Fitch 45. Jerry Maruskin then scampered around left end to take it down to the five. Then after a try or two, Jackson made a total effort and a little more to bull into the end zone for the first score.
Minutes later Hubbard recov¬ered a fumble and began to move again. R. G. Dunn zoomed over from the five, Driscoll add¬ed the point after and Hubbard had a 13-0 lead at the half. In the second half, Herm Jackson, Billy Budd and Jerry Maruskin scored to create the rout.
The blocking of Ted Cooksey, Les Block, Jack Tedrow, Dave Fornadel, Dave DelliQuadri, Richard Ridel, Tim Miller and Austin Scuderi must not go without praise. Fitch had men falling all over the place because they kept getting in the way of these guys.
Rod Walker threw a couple of key passes for the Eagles and if the time comes when Hubbard can’t run, they can be sure that Walker can throw the ball. Block made several real good catches.
Defensively, the Eagles looked better than ever. They put the clamps on a real good back in Fitch’s Andy Kuchmanner. Capt. Rich Ridel, Billy Driscoll and steady Billy Budd put the shoul¬der to many Fitch backs from their linebacker spots. Les Block, who seems to be playing about six positions at once, covers so much ground with his speed and power that he was making tackles everywhere.
Jack Tedrow and Gary Kuty looked real sharp at their tackle spots and Steve Vargo helped out to close up the middle. Joe Ma¬rino, who gets better each week, played his usual outstanding game along with Jerry Maruskin, Henry Axel and Jackson.
Even though the offense looked real good, the defense may be the biggest asset to the Eagles. They hit so hard that they put about six boys from Fitch on the sidelines and they gave the of¬fense the ball every time Fitch had it. It stands to reason that the more chances you have to score, the more times you are going to put points on the board.
Against Campbell the Eagles will need another all out effort, and they have proven that they are capable of doing it. Why stop at two big wins, lets get the rest of them.
Source: “Hubbard News”, Hubbard, OH, Wednesday, 24 September 1969, Page #5

OOPS-Hubbard paper was wrong on the score. The correct score was 31-0 according to the Vindicator. Sorry for that screwup.

Last edited by roberto21; 06-10-19 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-11-19, 08:28 PM
All World

Quote:

Rod - third base and pitcher, as I recall. Sad.

Belated RIPs to these two Eagles.
Old 06-12-19, 11:26 AM
All American

Hubbard is looking for a new Athletic Director.
Looks like Chuck Montgomery, AD since 2011 has vacated the position.
Haven't heard reason why, just know the job has been posted.
Old 06-23-19, 06:22 PM
All World

Quote:
Game #3 .. played on Friday, 19 September 1969 at Fitch Stadium

Hubbard 28 Austintown Fitch 0

The resurgent Hubbard High Eagles now find themselves in the thick of things in the Steel Valley Conference. Their win over Fitch proved that they are for real and that they must be reckoned with by other SVC teams. It is amazing what a little confidence will do for a team, and the way the Eagles have come along is just great.
Offensively the Eagles have really progressed. It looked as though they would be lucky to score against Fitch in the first quarter but they pushed across a touchdown and then another and another and another. They couldn't be stopped.
Herm Jackson got the Eagles moving in the second quarter with a punt return to around the Fitch 45. Jerry Maruskin then scampered around left end to take it down to the five. Then after a try or two, Jackson made a total effort and a little more to bull into the end zone for the first score.
Minutes later Hubbard recov¬ered a fumble and began to move again. R. G. Dunn zoomed over from the five, Driscoll add¬ed the point after and Hubbard had a 13-0 lead at the half. In the second half, Herm Jackson, Billy Budd and Jerry Maruskin scored to create the rout.
The blocking of Ted Cooksey, Les Block, Jack Tedrow, Dave Fornadel, Dave DelliQuadri, Richard Ridel, Tim Miller and Austin Scuderi must not go without praise. Fitch had men falling all over the place because they kept getting in the way of these guys.
Rod Walker threw a couple of key passes for the Eagles and if the time comes when Hubbard can’t run, they can be sure that Walker can throw the ball. Block made several real good catches.
Defensively, the Eagles looked better than ever. They put the clamps on a real good back in Fitch’s Andy Kuchmanner. Capt. Rich Ridel, Billy Driscoll and steady Billy Budd put the shoul¬der to many Fitch backs from their linebacker spots. Les Block, who seems to be playing about six positions at once, covers so much ground with his speed and power that he was making tackles everywhere.
Jack Tedrow and Gary Kuty looked real sharp at their tackle spots and Steve Vargo helped out to close up the middle. Joe Ma¬rino, who gets better each week, played his usual outstanding game along with Jerry Maruskin, Henry Axel and Jackson.
Even though the offense looked real good, the defense may be the biggest asset to the Eagles. They hit so hard that they put about six boys from Fitch on the sidelines and they gave the of¬fense the ball every time Fitch had it. It stands to reason that the more chances you have to score, the more times you are going to put points on the board.
Against Campbell the Eagles will need another all out effort, and they have proven that they are capable of doing it. Why stop at two big wins, lets get the rest of them.
Source: “Hubbard News”, Hubbard, OH, Wednesday, 24 September 1969, Page #5

OOPS-Hubbard paper was wrong on the score. The correct score was 31-0 according to the Vindicator. Sorry for that screwup.
Thanks, Rob. I remember it like it was yesterday. Well, sorta. Good times.