Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-12-19, 02:31 PM
All American

AtownFalcon201
Austintown Fitch 2019

Well, lots of changes for the Falcons this season. Some could be seen on the horizon and some where completely unexpected.

Last week, divisional assignments came out and the speculation was true. The drop in enrollment #s was significant and Fitch is now in Division 2. This has to been the first year since the 60s that Fitch hasn't been in the top tier (AAA or Division 1).

Over the weekend, Phil passed away and it would seem as though this was a shock to all. He flirted with retirement a few years ago when his wife passed and I also want to say he considered it again when he was battling an illness a year or 2 ago, but I'm not 100% sure. The transition between Phil and the new coach will be right around when workouts and camp starts. Any word on a replacement?

With the drop to Division 2, I was looking forward to not being in a Region with Eds, Iggy, and Mentor. But regional assignments came out today and it's not much better. We are region'ed with Hoban and the perennial Stark County teams, Massillion and Perry, have switched from Region 7 to 5 with the NEO teams.

The schedule is a nice upgrade for the most part.
-East and Ursuline swap out as local opponents. (BTW, I'm shocked Fitch/Ursuline are playing again).
-Hudson and GlenOak both had down years, but GO can be a tough opponent.
-Hartley is a strong state title contender for D4 and Benedictine has the brand behind it.

08/30 A Erie (PA)
09/06 H Youngstown Ursuline
09/13 A Canton GlenOak
09/20 A Warren Warren G. Harding
09/27 H Cleveland Benedictine
10/04 H Massillon Washington
10/11 H Columbus Bishop Hartley
10/18 H Erie McDowell (PA)
10/25 A Boardman
11/01 A Youngstown Cardinal Mooney
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-19, 03:00 PM
All American

falguin is on a distinguished road
I wondered if Chaney coming back would impact Fitch's numbers and that has been answered. Some of this will be okay. Most of our kids are mostly Austintown kids. I can't wait to see the Ursuline game. I can't believe we are DII. The area continues to dwindle. When I was in school, Ursuline and Mooney were DII. There were six city schools and they were DII or DI. Now there are just two city schools. But winning the region is going to b just as tough as our old region. Hoban could probably win it.
Old 06-12-19, 03:15 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Region 5 is BRUTAL! Best of luck this season, and thoughts and prayers go out to your entire football/school community in the wake of the passing of a true legend...

Fitch hasn't had a losing season since Phil's first year IIRC...
Old 06-12-19, 08:02 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
^ I echo these thoughts and wishes. Very nice schedule.
Old 06-13-19, 12:53 AM
All Ohio

falcons53 is on a distinguished road
This is an important hire for Fitch, not just on the field. The kids will be hit hard by this and the new coach will have to manage that as well. It is a shame enrollments have continued to drop. Reality is that Fitch would have been D2 years ago without open enrollment.

Good luck!
Old 06-13-19, 02:24 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtownFalcon201 View Post
Well, lots of changes for the Falcons this season. Some could be seen on the horizon and some where completely unexpected.

Last week, divisional assignments came out and the speculation was true. The drop in enrollment #s was significant and Fitch is now in Division 2. This has to been the first year since the 60s that Fitch hasn't been in the top tier (AAA or Division 1).

Over the weekend, Phil passed away and it would seem as though this was a shock to all. He flirted with retirement a few years ago when his wife passed and I also want to say he considered it again when he was battling an illness a year or 2 ago, but I'm not 100% sure. The transition between Phil and the new coach will be right around when workouts and camp starts. Any word on a replacement?

With the drop to Division 2, I was looking forward to not being in a Region with Eds, Iggy, and Mentor. But regional assignments came out today and it's not much better. We are region'ed with Hoban and the perennial Stark County teams, Massillion and Perry, have switched from Region 7 to 5 with the NEO teams.

The schedule is a nice upgrade for the most part.
-East and Ursuline swap out as local opponents. (BTW, I'm shocked Fitch/Ursuline are playing again).
-Hudson and GlenOak both had down years, but GO can be a tough opponent.
-Hartley is a strong state title contender for D4 and Benedictine has the brand behind it.

08/30 A Erie (PA)
09/06 H Youngstown Ursuline
09/13 A Canton GlenOak
09/20 A Warren Warren G. Harding
09/27 H Cleveland Benedictine
10/04 H Massillon Washington
10/11 H Columbus Bishop Hartley
10/18 H Erie McDowell (PA)
10/25 A Boardman
11/01 A Youngstown Cardinal Mooney
aren't we all

was always told that was the #1 stumbling block to the steel valley coming back together.

now there seem to be no obstacles
Old 06-13-19, 11:58 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
aren't we all

was always told that was the #1 stumbling block to the steel valley coming back together.

now there seem to be no obstacles
I think it is more than that, but that certainly was/is and issue. They have played since the break up of the SVC, what changes now? With Fitch dropping to D2 there is less of an argument that Mooney/UHS are too small. I always thought with their schedule, it didn't matter anyway. I would love to see the SVC back. I guess when Chaney/East divisions stabilize it could be possible they join as well, but they may not be competitive long term.
Old 06-15-19, 12:03 AM
All American

Not a good time to play Ursuline. The new coach will definitely make the team better, and Fitch dealing with a huge loss will really hurt them. I'm hoping that Fitch's AD makes a good decision and they dedicate a good season to Annarella.
Old 06-15-19, 02:30 AM
All Ohio

http://www.vindy.com/news/2019/jun/1...espects-to-fi/
Old 06-16-19, 01:03 AM
All Ohio

http://www.vindy.com/news/2019/jun/1...-laid-to-rest/
Old 06-16-19, 07:50 AM
All District

John Lee Pettimore is on a distinguished road
Wow, great man. Thanks falcons53.
Old 06-19-19, 02:30 PM
All American

I'll admit that I never liked the conservative nature Annarella had on offense, but I knew that he would make sure that the team was disciplined and ready to go. He had standards. I don't know how many coaches know what is meant by the word standards. I really enjoyed listening to recent interviews. I loved his old-school mentality. I especially liked when he was talking about concussions and how they are blown out of proportion. He pointed out that girls' soccer has more concussions. I could tell he was getting sick of the political correctness that had infiltrated the game. The problem with losing a guy like Annarella is there aren't many guys like him. The game is not run by guys like him anymore.
Old 06-19-19, 11:52 PM
All Yappi

Steel Valley FB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by falguin View Post
I'll admit that I never liked the conservative nature Annarella had on offense, but I knew that he would make sure that the team was disciplined and ready to go. He had standards. I don't know how many coaches know what is meant by the word standards. I really enjoyed listening to recent interviews. I loved his old-school mentality. I especially liked when he was talking about concussions and how they are blown out of proportion. He pointed out that girls' soccer has more concussions. I could tell he was getting sick of the political correctness that had infiltrated the game. The problem with losing a guy like Annarella is there aren't many guys like him. The game is not run by guys like him anymore.

I was always a big Phil supporter, had him as teacher, and my family knew him well, but to your first point...you should have seen him put on the brakes like he ate giant “Tressel Pill” in the second half after WGH jumped out ahead of Princeton in the 1990 state title game 28-7. The Raiders could have won that game by 40 instead of 28-21 had he not stopped throwing to Omar after halftime. To your other point, Phil knew a great deal about football...but he was flat out wrong about concussions.
Old 06-22-19, 05:56 AM
All American

I don't think he was saying it wasn't an issue that had to be looked at. I think he was just saying that the focus shouldn't only be on football, and I think he's right. It seemed to him that football was being targeted while other sports with the same issue were not even being considered.
Old 06-22-19, 06:02 PM
All Yappi

Worm02 is on a distinguished road
Great schedule. It's officially time to bring the SVC back!

R.I.P. Coach Annarella! Never met him, but many in Warren mourn his loss. Hear nothing but great things about him.
Old 06-22-19, 09:55 PM
All Yappi

Steel Valley FB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by falguin View Post
I don't think he was saying it wasn't an issue that had to be looked at. I think he was just saying that the focus shouldn't only be on football, and I think he's right. It seemed to him that football was being targeted while other sports with the same issue were not even being considered.
I misinterpreted your take on his take then. I was basing my comments on the comment that he thought they were blown out of proportion. Itís all good.