Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-12-19, 05:13 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBulldog View Post
And he was chosen by Akron U. as a defensive assistant coach, and nobody at the university level simply picks a "hard worker" to take down a Big 10 opponent. He is only 36. His record at STVSM included a State Semi-Finalist his second (and last) year before going on to the university level of coaching. The last head coach @ McKinley who left to take a job @ Akron U. was McKinley coaching legend Terry Forbes

WHERE CHAMPIONS ARE MADE AND SUCCESS IS TRADITION
I'd love to see McK do well. I've been in the stands and rooted for them in a number of games over the last 4 decades, but in the last 15 years or so I've seen similar excitement over guys like Ron Johnson, Todd Filtz and Dan Reardon, none of which led them back to their prior glory. As such, I'll opt to wait and see before I buy into this coaching staff being of the quality you assert. I think Wattley was a solid hire, I just need to see it on the field now. I'm in "show me" mode.
Old 06-12-19, 05:29 PM
All American

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I'd love to see McK do well. I've been in the stands and rooted for them in a number of games over the last 4 decades, but in the last 15 years or so I've seen similar excitement over guys like Ron Johnson, Todd Filtz and Dan Reardon, none of which led them back to their prior glory. As such, I'll opt to wait and see before I buy into this coaching staff being of the quality you assert. I think Wattley was a solid hire, I just need to see it on the field now. I'm in "show me" mode.
Fair enough. Any opinion is conjecture, even after results reflect the reality or don't . Case in point- few McKinley fans think Thom McDaniels is the best coach we've had, but he had some tremendously talented teams that achieved great successmore often than not beat Massillon. Being a closed enrollment school limits the talent pool hete, so it is what it is.Filtz had some of the least talented teams, but was good enough a coach to make those kids competitive. Johnson had all kinds of talent and size, but his team's underachieved for the most part, despite his winning record against Massillon. You can coach a team up, but at the end of the day, there's no substitute for talent and a little luck. Brian Cross was unlucky not to win back to back State Championships in 05 and 06 in my opinion. The other teams that won them were very beatable from our perspective. And as far as glory years go, McKinley traditionally goes long periods without championships because we are a closed public.

Old 06-12-19, 05:58 PM
All District

John Lee Pettimore is on a distinguished road
That's the longest excuse I've ever read.
Old 06-12-19, 11:51 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lee Pettimore View Post
That's the longest excuse I've ever read.
Massillon has the longest excuse of no playoff Championships in 46 years!

Old 06-13-19, 11:13 AM
All World

Egret has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Likewise. I've rooted for McKinley a LOT of times. The most epic was the Rubber Bowl when they beat St. Gerry's All-Stars for the state championship with Rick Worstell at QB. Cold as he!! but one of the greatest football games I've ever seen.
Old 06-14-19, 12:43 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
The most epic was the Rubber Bowl when they beat St. Gerry's All-Stars for the state championship with Rick Worstell at QB. Cold as he!! but one of the greatest football games I've ever seen.
I was there. My big brother took me and a friend. The whole week of the game, there were media reports about Moeller's 56 game winning streak and that Mighty Moe outweighed McKinley's line by 40lbs per man. Nobody was giving McKinley a chance. So throughout the week, I felt a calm resignation that it had been a good season, but that all good things must come to an end. It was a very eerie feeling on the Saturday around noon when we hopped in the car and got off at 241 N. Every telephone pole all the way up to the Rubber Bowl had been festooned with Red and Black balloons and streamers. We were all smiles and a feeling of confidence began to fill our hearts! As the traffic slowed to a crawl and we parked in the grass strip, we could feel a very strange energy permeating the atmosphere, a defiant mood amongst the Bulldog faithful, and a sign in the window of a McKinley van which read, "NO MO MOE" made us all grin from ear to ear. As we walked into the stadium, the steward asked us if we were from Canton, and we said, "Yes sir!". He said, "Good luck. You're gonna need it".

We sat in our seats on the home side that was filling up fast with many thousands of Bulldog fans and fans from other schools who came to support us. There was a sign that said "BIG RED SAYS GO BULLDOGS!" and we saw some orange and black clad Massillon fans, too. Central fans, Hoover, Perry, GlenOak too. Stark came to support and represent.

McKinley was out on the field warming up, and they werent wearing pads- just helmets. They looked tiny, like a jr. High team. Then we looked down to our left and out came Moeller, full of confidence and swagger in those superstar uniforms and they were HUGE! As they scampered to their practice positions, they looked like a college team. They were very tall, and as I looked over at our small kids, I couldn't help but feel all of the optimism of earlier in the day evaporate before my eyes. Yet our players did not look nervous at all. It was as if they hadn't noticed Moeller's superiority at all.

When the game started, every single McKinley tackle, every single hit was greeted with a mighty roar from the fans. Hiawatha Francisco was stopped in his tracks by a Bulldog D that was lightening fast and too quick for the big Crusader line. When Lewis took that handoff straight up the gut of that impressive Moeller defense and took it to the house, the Rubber Bowl exploded and I knew we were gonna win! Many thousands were still trying to get in the stadium when halftime whistle blew and McKinley had a 13-0 lead thatt they never relinquished. The crazy wild celebrations at the end were emotional as McKinley struck a mighty blow for Stark County and the city of Canton.

Sadly, a family friend from school tragically died in an accident following the game and we also learned that some things in life are bigger than football. Peace out.

Old 06-14-19, 05:46 AM
All World

Oh wow. Never heard about an accident and someone dying. I remember that run. Also, how freaking cold it was that day.
Old 06-14-19, 07:32 AM
All Ohio

chito is on a distinguished road
Great post JJ. Memories like that are what makes Stark County football so special.
Old 06-14-19, 08:05 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Was there also (and cheering for Mck). Different times I guess. Before internet, lol. Pretty accurate - Mckinley was noticeably quicker and Mighty Moe couldn't deal with it. Kinda surprised me as well as they did not look that great in our week 10 game, though obviously were.

And I don't miss trying to get into that gd rubber bowl for a playoff game either. That always was a hot mess.
Old 06-14-19, 08:20 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Was there also (and cheering for Mck). Different times I guess. Before internet, lol. Pretty accurate - Mckinley was noticeably quicker and Mighty Moe couldn't deal with it. Kinda surprised me as well as they did not look that great in our week 10 game, though obviously were.

And I don't miss trying to get into that gd rubber bowl for a playoff game either. That always was a hot mess.
Not if you got there four hours before game time and hung out at that bar at the bottom of the hill. It was easy from there. LOL.
Old 06-14-19, 08:22 AM
Varsity

pavis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
because we are a closed public.

Can kids go from GlenOak to Mckinley, or vice versa, since they are both Canton? Or, is there a sit-out period that happens? I thought there was a LB that transferred a couple years ago, but can't remember the details.
Old 06-14-19, 08:56 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavis View Post
Can kids go from GlenOak to Mckinley, or vice versa, since they are both Canton? Or, is there a sit-out period that happens? I thought there was a LB that transferred a couple years ago, but can't remember the details.
GlenOak and McKinley are operated by different school districts - Plain Local for GO and Canton City for McK. Additionally, neither district offers open enrollment.
Old 06-14-19, 09:19 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
GlenOak and McKinley are operated by different school districts - Plain Local for GO and Canton City for McK. Additionally, neither district offers open enrollment.
More additionally, all transfers (w/ some exceptions) have a sit-out period regardless if open or closed, unless they physically move into that district.
Old 06-14-19, 09:49 AM
All American

Quote:
Oh wow. Never heard about an accident and someone dying. I remember that run. Also, how freaking cold it was that day.
Mike died after a celebration party back in Canton later that day. He was a really nice kid and far too young to depart this world.

As cold as it was that day, I can't say I felt it much because we were so full of adrenaline and the crowd was packed warm bodies lol. Being young makes a difference, too, but I did start to feel it after the game. We had beaten another big team in Cleveland St. Joseph the week before in the same venue when it was freezing cold- something like 24 below zero with the wind chill at night. To keep themselves warm at halftime, McKinley fans packed the bathrooms and chanted "Let's Go Pups" ad nauseam, the first time I remember hearing that. It was our boot camp for the final, which felt like Florida compared to the St. Joseph "Ice Bowl" game.

Always keep the faith!

Old 06-14-19, 11:53 AM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Likewise. I've rooted for McKinley a LOT of times. The most epic was the Rubber Bowl when they beat St. Gerry's All-Stars for the state championship with Rick Worstell at QB. Cold as he!! but one of the greatest football games I've ever seen.
For clarification, Gerry Faust wasn't coaching that team.
Old 06-14-19, 12:08 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
For clarification, Gerry Faust wasn't coaching that team.
Ah, that's right. He was gone by then. Good catch.
Old 06-14-19, 01:06 PM
All American

Quote:
Ah, that's right. He was gone by then. Good catch.
You were very much half-right, though. It was very much a Faust team. He built it, and left to become Head Coach @Notre Dame. Ted Bachigalupo was the Faust assistant running the show that year. He ran all the same stuff Gerry did the year before. Gerry wasn't that big a strategist, as his next employers found out the hard way. He built machines at the high school level through recruiting talent. The problem for Gerry was that his skill sets weren't adequate at a college level where other schools could match your size and talent, unlike the high schools his Moeller teams dominated.

Old 06-14-19, 01:54 PM
All Yappi

You nailed that one.

Shortly thereafter Iggy went on their remarkable tear. Not to disparage Kyle who is a GREAT hs coach (and better game coach) but I often wondered if Faust was a factor in his decision to stay, or why some other major programs did not pursue him heavily. Of course their fans will say he simply loves teaching HS and thought he could do more good that way then w/ a gazillion dollars, lol.
Old 06-14-19, 11:59 PM
All Region

pup pounder is an unknown quantity at this point
Now this is good stuff. See,cats and dogs can play.
Old 06-15-19, 06:42 AM
All World

joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I was at that game also ... what I remember is the small quick NG from McKinley was all over the field ... Moeller’s big linemen could not block him ... he dominated!
Old 06-15-19, 09:36 AM
All District

Lefthook37 is on a distinguished road
That small quick nose guard was Stan the man Jackson a real had hitting player 6 ft. 190 he put the best St Joes running back ( Mr. Football ) out of the game on opening kick off 2nd half BANG hit him at the 50 yard line right into the coaching staff never to re turn again
Old 06-15-19, 02:21 PM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
The good ole nose guard days,he had a Great playoff run.
Old 06-15-19, 06:54 PM
All District

John Lee Pettimore is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefthook37 View Post
That small quick nose guard was Stan the man Jackson a real had hitting player 6 ft. 190 he put the best St Joes running back ( Mr. Football ) out of the game on opening kick off 2nd half BANG hit him at the 50 yard line right into the coaching staff never to re turn again
It's crazy to think that Stan was only 190 lbs, he looked so much bigger, maybe because I was so much smaller back then.
Old 06-18-19, 12:39 AM
All American

Quote:
He was the fastest DL I have ever seen. Most games, he would be in the other team's backfield before their quarterback could hand it off. He was the proverbial "hot knife through butter" guy and was one of the most dominating defenders, ever, at the high school level.

Old 06-18-19, 01:00 PM
All American

1981 Division 1 State Championship

Jeff Logan was a much better football player than game commentator! Enjoy courtesy of CantonMcKinley.com....

Last edited by JJBulldog; 06-18-19 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-18-19, 01:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lee Pettimore View Post
It's crazy to think that Stan was only 190 lbs, he looked so much bigger, maybe because I was so much smaller back then.
Idk how old you are but reminded me of Bobby Simpson. Had like 20 sacks and unblockable. Met him as a kid when he came to our school and thought he was HUGE but built like Stan.

Amen on those great NG's from yesteryear Raymo.
Old 06-18-19, 06:43 PM
All American

Quote:
Jeff Logan was a much better football player than game commentator! Enjoy courtesy of CantonMcKinley.com....

Sid Lewis' run still gives me goosebumps! Watching this, I can remember it like it was yesterday!
The McKinley Marching 100 played a prophetic halftime show of "Celebration" by Kool and the Gang, Queens "Another One Bites The Dust", and finished with "Script Ohio" with its victorious French martial tune. The faces on the people, the pretty McKinley majorettes, the determined look of the players...funny how we all united as one.
That celebration was totally insane!

Old 06-19-19, 02:01 AM
All American

When watching the vid, following halftime there is a break in the recording, a short blackout followed by a color barcode that runs a minute before the third quarter starts up again and the rest of the game can be seen.

Always keep the faith!
Old 06-19-19, 08:15 AM
All District

Lefthook37 is on a distinguished road
You should see Stan today , a complete monster an still has that mean look on his face built like a BSH
Old 06-19-19, 12:25 PM
All American

Quote:
You should see Stan today , a complete monster an still has that mean look on his face built like a BSH

He was always a monster on the field- just ask those Moeller players! I think we all got a little bigger over the years. Some of us in the wrong places! But iIt's always good to see our people are still alive and well after all this time. Thanks for sharing the Stan update!

Always keep the faith!