Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-19-17, 08:45 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Saw that info. today. I remember him on the cover and me - age 15 - thinking, "Who in the hell is that?" ( Burroughs, and actually, more than a few others.)

GREAT add on point. Nothing better in all of this than the info. behind the fact, just to the left of the truth.
Old 05-19-17, 11:22 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
Now even though no other "players" may have been familiar with the origin of Steely Dan as the band's name or who William Burroughs was, I'll bet that many of those same "players don't realize they may actually have a picture of William Burroughs in their home !

How you ask is that possible. . . . well, in just 13 days it will mark the 50th anniversary of the release of The Beatles album, "Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and I'm certain that there a lot of Aarpsters that still have a copy of this classic album. Just check out the famous album cover and you will see that near the top center is a picture of William Burroughs right beside Marilyn Monroe.
JB
Thanks "JB"! I wasn't even familiar with William Burroughs until the last few days and now I know about "Steely Dan" and Burroughs' photo on the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper album cover. Life is good!

ROCK ON!
Old 05-20-17, 08:05 AM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Who Knows View Post
Thanks "JB"! I wasn't even familiar with William Burroughs until the last few days and now I know about "Steely Dan" and Burroughs' photo on the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper album cover. Life is good!

ROCK ON!
Let me be the, well, first to 2nd that thought.
Old 05-20-17, 10:13 AM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
The person who came up with "Steely Dan" is William F. Burroughs. A real degenerate, hipster, Beat of the late 40's and into the 70's "cool" cat.

Please Google him to get the full effect.

Just a quickie, in music his titles and phrases have great admiration. In addition to "Steely Dan", he came up the name "The Soft Machien" (A British band took it), and Husker Du and alt rock band, "Clem Snide".

The band "The Mugwumps" also got their odd name from Burroughs' writings. They may not be remembered but their cast certainly is. The band consisted of John Sebastian and Zal Yanovsky of "The Lovin" Spoonful" ( we don't need to go there or to the band "10cc"). also, a part of that band was Cass Elliot and Denny Dohertry of the Mamas and Papas

What appears to be the most anonymous band member, Jim Hendricks (no, not that one), actually became a prolific song writer.

His most famous tune and admired greatly on our threads was our good friend Johnny Rivers' hit, "Summer Rain". Hendricks also wrote the theme song - sung by the show's star, Michael Parks - "Travelling Down That Long Lonesome Highway" for the tv show "Then Came Bronson". A show I watched and liked. I believe Parks just died recently.

Hendricks, in addition to these two songs, has also recorded over 50 albums of everything from Christian, to Folk and Mountain, Swing, Western Swing, Tex-Mex and some rock.

There is a lot of bizarre and strange info. about William F. and it is fascinating - if demented and debauched. One of the more infamous events of his life was when he killed his wife when in a drunken state he attempted to shoot a high ball glass off her equally drunken head (like William Tell). ( Her name was Joan Volmer and I am sure there has to be a really bad band somewhere with that name.) He was convicted of manslaughter. This occurred in Mexico and upon drawing weary of the wait for the trial, he skipped the country and was found guilty in absentia and given a two-month suspended sentence.

His most famous book was entitled "The Naked Lunch" about his addiction to heroin.

The kind of guy you wouldn't want to have a property line dispute with!

Bevo,

To avoid any confusion it was William S. Burroughs who helped spawn ( pun intended) the boys in the band called Steely Dan, and not William F. Burroughs, although it would be quite unlikely anyone would have caught the typo anyway.

I thought you may have subconsciously been thinking of William F Buckley as you typed, you know WSB vs. WFB. lol. . . .how's that for some alphabet soup as an appetizer ?

It's a bit funny if you think about the ultra conservative "William F." compared to the "William S." far left LSD proponent and pioneer of the Beat Generation. Of course, William F. Buckley should also not be confused with Hipster Saint " Lord Buckley" whom we discussed recently as the originator of " Hipsters, Flipsters, and Finger- Poppin' Daddies".

Leaving the Burroughs and Buckleys for now, you are correct that actor Michael Parks did pass several days ago. I also remember his short lived tv series "Then Came Bronson". I believe I included "Long Lonesome Highway" on one of my "One Hit Wonder" quizzes last fall. Still have the album in my vinyl collection and would guess it hasn't been on the turntable in over 45 years. Parks was one of those veteran actors that Tarantino seemed to enjoy giving a bit of screen time to in some his movies, i.e. Kill Bill I/II and the like. Here's a little known fact on his resume. . . he played the nude "Adam" in the John Huston biblical bomb "The Bible" back in 1966. Check out the cast of that film sometime, it's amazing and surprising and at nearly 3 hours long it still only covered part of Genesis ! People would have been forced to use their entire summer vacation and still not gotten through the Old Testament at that rate.

I'll leave you with this final thought. . .do you think Joan Volmer may have thought William S. had just tuned in an episode of "The Lone Ranger" a split second before the bullet hit the bone ? Think about it.

JB
Old 05-20-17, 12:19 PM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
I learn a lot from you all.

"Nights in White Satin" is the best slow-dance song ever. Way better than "Stairway to Heaven".
Old 05-20-17, 02:32 PM
All American

Diva - ladies choice, last dance, etc. All good memories.

I was able to come up with two more odd quizzes last evening and I still have three others gathering dust. Check the site, one of these is going to drop from either me or one from another wayward one.

Anyone want to hop in?

(Went to the Girls' District softball final today between Upper and Clear Fork, played at Milan Edison High School. Lady Colts won 5-2, I believe. Long trip! My son and I enjoyed shooting the breeze.)

Last edited by Bevo; 05-20-17 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-21-17, 01:34 PM
All World

Here you go Bevo, Diva and anyone else interested:

Planning is underway for "Shawshank's" 25th anniversary party:
http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/ohio/...arty/441393667

ROCK ON!
Old 05-21-17, 04:52 PM
All American

Nice posts, everyone.
I've been spending the afternoon on YouTube listening to Bonnie Raitt, Roy Orbison, Nora Jones, The Seekers, The Searchers, Linda Ronstadt, etc.
It's like heaven.
Old 05-21-17, 06:27 PM
All American

OWK - I just mentioned this a few days ago. Because I was going through my teaching career with my son and I mentioned that my first year at Ridgedale was the summer of Shawshank in Upper. We also wondered if they were going to try for the big stars. I totally expect Morgan Freeman to show up!

One of the guys I taught with was a guard, and the judge was in the movie along with our court reporter named...are you ready...Carolyn Law!

I was in the courthouse several times that summer wrapping some things up, and heard the cries of "Quiet on the set!" , with the two wooden boards being slapped together.

Google use to have Bob Guiton's (he was the warden) video asking folks to come to Upper and Mansfield for the 20th. anniversary. I have wondered if they might shoot for Roberts and Freeman.

Last edited by Bevo; 05-21-17 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-21-17, 06:38 PM
All American

I believe I have owned an album or a 45 by everyone of Monclova's mentions.

I can never find it anymore but Bonnie Raitt doing "Nick of Time" along with the original video was beyond perfect.
Old 05-21-17, 08:48 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
Nice posts, everyone.
I've been spending the afternoon on YouTube listening to Bonnie Raitt, Roy Orbison, Nora Jones, The Seekers, The Searchers, Linda Ronstadt, etc.
It's like heaven.
Incredible voices: Roy Orbison (seems effortless) and Linda Ronstadt (not to mention her looks). I'll have to check out the others. Also, want to see if I remember any Cranberries tunes after seeing the group mentioned elsewhere. Great stuff!
Old 05-21-17, 09:26 PM
All American

Another quiz coming. This one is "What is the NUMBER of Little Kings Guinesse Ale bottles in a case on Aug 30th., 1969 quiz?"
This will be Rock songs with numbers.

Could be on before noon with an afternoon start time. Two parts. Hopefully, Diva is on break from one of her three jobs and checks in.
Old 05-22-17, 07:29 AM
All American

Here's what we'll do. The quiz will start at one of two times - either when Diva takes her three attempts OR at 4:00 p.m. The Diva has "danced around our boys will be boys' " act for over 15 years and still she returns! So, we will give her first dibs on the Little Kings' Rock Numbers' quiz If she is not in by 4:00 the rest of you neer-do-wells may proceed with abandon. As always name the tune and the artist, if not given, and say anything else you want! Remember, it's all about the Number(s).

1. "___, ___, ___-, that's how elementary; it's gonna be. It's easy - like taking candy from a baby."

2. Early Brian and the boys sang about what number engine?

3. This early 60's girl group sang about what kind of day?

4. "Oh what a night; late December back in ___."

5. Love this song and we have discussed it before. One name singer about your temperature. Fit that time perfectly. JB, OWK and Monclovas may remember this one.

6. Jimmy Buffet and Alan Jackson drinking song because it's gotta be ___ somewhere!

7. Another Ringo saying about how long this time period can be. Great song from '65.

8. The Chicago confusion again.

9. Number song by the singer of "Ain't no sunshine."

10. "Summer of ___"

11. Chuck Negron 's band's big hit.

12. This band is referenced in the song American Pie and it sounds like it's about getting high. Actually, the song title is in American Pie, along with the name of the band. The band did a lot of Dylan covers.

13. Beatles talking about Vera, Chuck and Dave.

14. Jim Morrison wants loved this many times?!

15. Movie with Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin and ___ ____. This iconic singer was on the last quiz with a different song.

16. Early Stones talking about breaking down mentally.

17. Sung in German; Google said it was about world destruction. Everyone else talked about how hot the singer Is (was). Not a fan but there is a number in the title.

18. Gotta love these southern rockers. I have said before that when they "cleaned" up one of them said, "We got sick and tired of being sick and tired." Number is in the title. I don't drink - no, really. But, I did and I have to believe I was somewhere at the very least - half drunk - and this song was being played. I'm not sure but this tune may have led to one of my marriages! (Kidding...) This may have gotten JB and mom out on the floor!

19. Classic jazz song from the 50's. It was a quartet. Sounds like a San Francisco coffee house for the Beats. I can almost see Gregory Caruso. Night time travel music.

20. "You know that gypsy with the gold capped tooth."

Lot of low hangers here!! Diva is on the clock until 4:00 p.m. Everyone gets THREE attempts. Part two is ready to roll!

Hey, attention all newbies - we don't bite because if we did our false teeth would come out. Take some shots!

Last edited by Bevo; 05-22-17 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-22-17, 01:55 PM
All American

Looks like Diva is going to be person non grata. Everyone else get ready for the 4:00 start!
Old 05-22-17, 03:07 PM
All Region

coldshoulder is on a distinguished road
8. "25 or 6 to 4"

14. "(Love Me) 2 Times"

16. "19th Nervous Breakdown"
Old 05-22-17, 03:07 PM
All American

3. One Fine Day -- The Chiffons
10. Summer of '69 -- Bryan Adams (Hmmm, are there personal connections here?) I wonder.
15. Working 9 to 5 -- Dolly Parton

Once again, a team effort here, so Mrs. gets 1/2 the blame if any of these are wrong!
Old 05-22-17, 03:26 PM
All World

1. "___, ___, ___-, that's how elementary; it's gonna be. It's easy - like taking candy from a baby."
"One, Two, Three"
2. Early Brian and the boys sang about what number engine?
"409"
4. "Oh what a night; late December back in ___."

Keep the Ball Rollin'
Old 05-22-17, 03:39 PM
All American

Really no one misses much at all any more!

C.s. The Doors with No. 14, Love Me Two Times really were somthing else. Short lived but really prolific. A good album cut of Jim's, Robby Kreiger, and Ray Manzarek is "My Eyes Have Seen You".

Chicago certainly is representative of the "horny" part of music. (Yes, I said that.) No. 8. 25 or 6 to 4 is a decent rocker. Like this better than some of the later stuff.

16. Early Stones - right there with "Get Off My Cloud" and Mother's Little Helper", No. 16, "19th. Nervous Breakdown."

Monclovas - first off, I am not so sure Mrs. M., shouldn't have her own handle. If she comes up with one, will allow you to continue to represent the duo but acknowledge her fine assistance when given. Seems as though, she's pretty sharp. (You're ok, too. )

3. One Fine Day is a great song. Might be a "girl group" song but it smokes.

10. Summer of '69. You know, since we are the same age, I was thinking how this moment - at least for me - was like Christmas morning about 10:00. By that I mean, it was over by the Summer of '69. I was 17 that summer and little did I know life got harder, a lot harder, after high school. My best was summer of '68; actually, any summer from '57 to '68 was pretty damn good!

15. Working 9 to 5 Dolly, Lily and lovely Jane. I know people detested Jane but I always thought she as a fine looking woman. I mean she's 80 plus now and still looks great!
I loved Lily forever and, of course, I am old enough to remember her "Laugh In" days.

Dolly is great and I truly think she'd kick your _ _ _ if she had to, but also that she is a very good hearted and decent soul. Not too shabby for 70!!!!!!

Last edited by Bevo; 05-22-17 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-22-17, 03:45 PM
All American

5. "98.6" _ Keith

11. "One" - 3 Dog Night

20. "Love Potion # 9"- The Searchers

JB
Old 05-22-17, 03:52 PM
All American

OWK - Almost did the Royal Flush (answering consecutive questions, no matter how many required).

1. 1,2, 3 by Len Barry. You've talked about him before, right? What was his other hit?

2. You are our Beach Boy expert and, of course, "She's real fine my 409" is correct.

4. Yep, that could be you talking, right? "Oh what a night; late Dec. back in '63. What a very special time for me." Frankie and the rest of The Four Seasons.

Last edited by Bevo; 05-22-17 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-22-17, 04:01 PM
All American

JB - you always hit my little known but favorite tunes like Keith with "98.6"; No. 5.

Man, I remember "One" really being popular; No. 11. by "Three Dog Night". Didn't Negron have a severe heroin habit? And, wasn't another member of the band Corey Haim? And, wasn't Haim a part of a one -hit wonder duo?

No. 20. Love Potion No. 9. I don't recall this being a hit but it was.
Old 05-22-17, 04:02 PM
All American

Bevo,

Your question about Len Barry's other big hit is a real trick question and I'm anxious to see if OWK has brought his "A game" today. He's pretty sharp, so I'm guessing he knows the answer.

JB
Old 05-22-17, 04:16 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
JB - you always hit my little known but favorite tunes like Keith with "98.6"; No. 5.

Man, I remember "One" really being popular; No. 11. by "Three Dog Night". Didn't Negron have a severe heroin habit? And, wasn't another member of the band Corey Haim? And, wasn't Haim a part of a one -hit wonder duo?

No. 20. Love Potion No. 9. I don't recall this being a hit but it was.
Bevo,

I actually saw Keith perform " 98.6" at the old Vets Memorial in Columbus back in '67 I believe on a package with The Buckinghams, The Turtles and some other acts.

Yes, Negron had a real drug problem. You may be confusing the late Cory Haim with Cory Wells who was a founding member of the Dog. Cory Haim was the actor that frequently starred with the other "Cory" about the same time, Cory Feldman.

Love Potion Number 9 was a pretty big tune in late '64/early '65 for The Searchers. It peaked at number 3. It was actually a remake of the original Love Potion Number 9 by The Clovers back in 1959. I have a copy of that version in an oldies collection.

JB
Old 05-22-17, 04:28 PM
All American

AS always, concise and overwhelmingly educational!

I recall you talking about the Keith concert. Boy, you caught The Turtles when they were The Turtles. I was down on Pearly Alley one day in a "head shop" and bought a double Turtles' greatest hit's album. Some of the more "with it" clientel were giving me the "rolled eyes' look"

I like The Turtles! Buckinghams, Keith, etc . Now, if we start in on The Mojo Men, I may have to draw the line!! Although, "Sit Down I Think I Love You" was fine to me.

Keith's "98.6" was a relationship song with the proverbial "good beat".

Did some group other than The Zombies do "I Love You"?

The following questions are left: 6,7,9,12,13,17,18, and 19. Let's go one more for each of you who have answered three already. Two more if you have answered one.

I'll put Part Two of the What Is The NUMBER of Bottles of Little Kings in A Case back in that Summer of '69? sometime tomorrow morning - probably closer to noon.

Last edited by Bevo; 05-22-17 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-22-17, 04:53 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
6. "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere" - Alan Jackson/Jimmy Buffet

13. "When I'm Sixty-Four" - The Beatles

17. "99 Luftballons" aka "99 Red Balloons" - Nena
Old 05-22-17, 05:06 PM
All American

BlackHawk keeps the streak going with another 3 for 3 performance.

6." It's Five O'clock Somewhere" - Jackson and Buffet.\

13. "When i get older, losing my hair, many years from now." Remember when this was decades away?

17. "99 Red Balloons" - ok BlackHawk you get the extra guess also, of course.

That leaves: 7, 9, 12, 18 and 19.
Old 05-22-17, 05:14 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
My extra guess:

12. "Eight Miles High" - The Byrds

Oddly enough, just last night I watched a youtube video of The Byrds performing a live version of "Eight Miles High". Psychedelic and groovy!

I guess it's similar to the phenomena that when you're thinking about some fairly old, obscure song ... it starts playing on the radio!
Old 05-22-17, 05:31 PM
All American

That is true and correct. Eight Miles High by The Byrds No. 12. It was groovy,wasn't it?
Old 05-22-17, 05:57 PM
All American

18. Give Me 3 Steps -- Lynrd Skynrd
Old 05-22-17, 06:06 PM
All American

Yes sir - been mentioned but like Norman Thayer (Henry Fonda) said in On Golden Pond upon picking up a copy of Treasurer Island to reread ; it will all be new to him because he didn't remember what it was about.

So, the story on Lynard Skynard was that their name was the name of a teacher (P.E.?) and that the boys didn't like him so they chose the name to mock him. I have heard over the years that they did get along with him. No. 18.

That leaves 6,7,9, 13, 17, and 19

Tempted to wrap it up tonight but we'll stay open for the late comers or newbies. Go again starting at 8:00 a.m. with one answer each. Then, tomorrow sometime (noon, I hope) I can roll out Part Two.

I have one of my 5:00 a.m. Toledo trips tomorrow so I am hopnig to be done and home in time to post before 12:00.

Last edited by Bevo; 05-22-17 at 08:15 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: