Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-23-18, 09:23 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post

Going to be very missed. rip - John Corby.
And RIP, Billy Ray Vulgar.

Back when Robert Smith was feuding with Elliot Uzelac over chemistry class, Billy Ray weighed in one evening, calling him "Doctor Robert Smith". I was a big Robert Smith fan, but that was funny.

I grew up with WTVN-AM from the age of 3 on. They pretty much lost me when they switched to the all-talk format, but their sound is still a part of me. I did listen to John Corby from time to time, but my days of keeping the station on that frequency were over.

Speaking of which, I just remembered that John Fraim passed away a short time ago. Actually, 17 months ago.

I may break out a bottle of Hiney wine this evening and sip a glass while reflecting on those good times listening to 610 AM.
Old 01-23-18, 11:28 AM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Bucks win ugly but, a win, is a win, is a win... .

Also. for those of you in the Central Ohio area (and actually state wide), I was shocked and very saddened to learn of the death of afternoon drive guy on 6.10, John Corby. John passed away at 61 after a very rapid and short illness as he was just on the air before MLK day.

I am out a lot at that time in a vehicle so unless I want Sean Hannity or WKNR's afternoon sports' drive guys, it often came back to Corby. Sort of droll, laconic very common sense kind of guy with a good heart and a tongue planted securely in cheek and I learned to like him a lot.

Did a lot of good things for C-town and seemed to be on the right side of most issues and controversies.

Going to be very missed. rip - John Corby.
Thanks Bevo and I saw that Diva also mentioned John Corby's passing. I'm not familiar with him, but I think it's interesting how we (the public) sometimes feel like TV and radio personalities, and certainly sportscasters, are almost like personal acquaintances. I know that there are certain personalities that I like to follow. Who knows, maybe it's just me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
And RIP, Billy Ray Vulgar. .
Sorry Zunardo - I just saw your post. Billy Ray would also fall into this category.

ROCK ON!
Old 01-23-18, 10:13 PM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Johnstown Benny answered this rather creatively with the title in acronym, making it somehow look like a very expensive brand of Scotch. I did learn that about the time Calypso came out. So I have another bit of John Denver trivia for you: What is the connection between his song "Take Me Home, Country Roads", and the 1976 naughty ditty "Afternoon Delight"?

I learned this while watching a PBS fundraiser biography special on Denver a few years ago. Really interesting stuff, especially his upbringing and his experience as a young troubador on the Greenwich Village coffeehouse scene. (originally posted by Zunardo)

Saw something tonight as I was watching the movie " Logan Lucky" from Netflix which I found rather interesting considering a conversation we just had on here a few days ago. . . In the opening scene of the movie the lead character is working on fixing his pick up truck while talking with his young daughter who is watching him work and a John Denver song is playing in the background. He proceeds to tell his young daughter that a couple named Bill & Taffy while working in a Wash. DC coffee house met a young John Denver who had recently broken his thumb and goes on to tell how Bill & Taffy ended up writing " Take Me Home Country Roads" and how the song became his favorite. The song becomes a part of the movie later on, but I won't spoil the movie in case someone ends up watching it later. It was just strange as I watched the scene how closely it followed the discussion that we had on here recently. Something about Deja Vu all over again I guess.

JB
Old 01-25-18, 12:07 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
30-years ago on this date, Pitt's (and Akron St.V-M grad) Jerome Lane shattered a backboard on national TV. That led to Bill Raftery's famous line, "Send it in, Jerome!" Many people are not aware of the fact that current Arizona coach Sean Miller made the assist on that play. All I can say is, I can't believe that was 30-years ago! I guess when you're having fun, time flies.

ROCK ON!
Old 01-25-18, 12:47 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Thank you God for Raft.! I can't believe the passage of this time either!!
Old 01-25-18, 01:45 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Old 01-25-18, 01:49 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
:>---

salt
Old 01-25-18, 01:51 PM
All American

The dunk and Bill's call would rank on my list of top 250 things that made life worth living.

EagleGuy - I am pretty obtuse; what have you bestowed upon us with your post?
Old 01-25-18, 01:53 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post

salt
Attempting success!

+1 & -1 - Even for the session. Will round up the troops for another go later...
Old 01-25-18, 02:00 PM
All World

Quote:
The dunk and Bill's call would rank on my list of top 250 things that made life worth living.

EagleGuy - I am pretty obtuse; what have you bestowed upon us with your post?
If I remember correctly, you don't care for Steve Miller (?), but if you are game go to the site. It is a follow-up on your "thirty years" comment.

I was trying to post the actual YouTube video, but either...

A. It can't be done. (I have seen it, so it must be achievable).
B. I am having a junior/senior moment and have forgotten how to do so.

I'm pretty dogmatic (stubborn) so I shall return to slay the cursed video dragon!
Old 01-25-18, 02:32 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
30 years ago today? I was still young, single, and good-looking. Two out of three, anyway. I was probably watching more college basketball at that time of my life than any other, which stopped when I got married 18 months later. But I don't remember Jerome Lane or his dunk, sad to say.

The video did trigger a memory of Ohio State's Herb Williams breaking the glass in 1979 - in the Soviet Union, of all places. Herb was part of a USA team participating in a sort of dry-run for the 1980 Olympics.

He said he thought the Rooskies would be upset, but one of the officials came over and said in a thick accent, "Mr. Williams, you can only do that two more times today", which is how many more spare backboards they had after replacing the broken one.

http://archive.usab.com/mens/mspartakiade_1979.html
Old 01-25-18, 02:54 PM
All Region

coldshoulder is on a distinguished road
Yes, one of the many iconic and unforgettable moments of 1980's college basketball lore.

Raftery is one of the all-time great analysts/color guys, and as he says at the end of the video, he just came up with that exclamation-point phrase out of nowhere.

...But would it have been even better had he rhymed it?

"Send it home, Jerome!!".....sounds just as good.
Old 01-25-18, 03:16 PM
All American

I started looking at the guys who have hung it up in recent years. Couple of good final sign offs from Musberger and Lundquist.

Raferty is 74 which means the call was at 44. He looks exactly the same. I always thougth it would be a lot of fun to close down a biastro or two with these guys.

Perhaps the smartest thing Vern ever said was in an article in Esquire probably ten years ago. He laid Vitale open as a joke and a farce to the game. I always thought that.

Last edited by Bevo; 01-25-18 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-25-18, 03:28 PM
All American

Quote:
Thank you God for Raft.! I can't believe the passage of this time either!!
You may want to revisit the Al " Year of The Cat" Stewart classic " Time Passages" which is guaranteed to lower the blood pressure of anyone. One of the greatest elevator music songs of all time. Produced by none other than Alan Parsons.

JB
Old 01-25-18, 03:51 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I started looking at the guys who have hung it up in recent years. Couple of good final sign offs front Musberger and Lundquist.

Raferty is 74 which means the call was at 44. He looks exactly the same. I always thoguth it would be a lot of fun to close down a biastro or two with these guys.

Perhaps the smartest thing Vern ever said was in an article in Esquire probably ten years ago. He laid Vitale open as a joke and a farce to the game. I always thought that.
I don't want to take away anything that Dickie V. has done for college basketball. I truly think that he has helped to popularize it with his antics. After all, it's supposed to be an entertaining game.
I do think, though, that perhaps he has gone a little too overboard with perhaps making himself a little too much of the focus when I'm more comfortable keeping it on the teams/players.
Lunquist, Rafferty, McGuire, Enberg and others have done a ton in making this wonderful game fun to experience. None of them, though, have made themselves the spotlight like Vitale has from time to time.
Do I like Dickie V? Of course. I like the spotlight to shine, though, where it belongs -- on the players.
Give me a OWK college basketball newsletter anytime and I'm good to go!
Old 01-25-18, 04:07 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post

salt

ohiopup,

Great song choice with "Time Is On My Side". I'm currently about a third of the way through the book " Rolling Stones On Air In The Sixties" a Christmas gift from my youngest daughter, the Stones fanatic.

Details all of the Rolling Stones TV and Radio appearances from 1963 - 1969. An amazing book and I just was reading a few days ago about the song " Time Is On My Side" about the fact they recorded the song initially at Chess Studios in Chicago during their first U.S. tour. In their 2nd tour in the U.S. they played the song on The Ed Sullivan Show and also managed to work in an appearance on the now famous T.A.M.I. concert which was released as a movie and is generally considered as one of the greatest Rock concerts ever put on film. Apparently, "time was on their side" as the Stones even found time to make a return visit to Chess Studios and recorded a reworked version of " Time Is On My Side" and that version appeared on the U.K. album version only.

JB
Old 01-25-18, 04:24 PM
All American

Tell Me is my favorite early Stones' song but there were many.

I was very fond of Ride On from the Flowers' album - don't believe it as ever a single.
Old 01-25-18, 05:30 PM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
Coldshoulder is right, it would have been much better had it rhymed.

Did they have to stop the game after he destroyed the hoop?
Old 01-25-18, 05:31 PM
All World

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...f&action=click

Time keeps on slipping...

Okay. After switching from Bing to Chrome, I am again able to view uploaded YT videos such as the one OWK just displayed. Wow! I had forgotten how amazing these early slams could be. Now, I just need to figure out how to (or remember how to) post a YT video. Of course, the solution will be simple.

Last edited by EagleGuy; 01-25-18 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-25-18, 05:32 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road

I don't have a copy of it...

But I have one of these...

SALT
Old 01-25-18, 05:44 PM
All American

Quote:
Tell Me is my favorite early Stones' song but there were many.

I was very fond of Ride On from the Flowers' album - don't believe it as ever a single.

"Tell Me" is a great song ! Actually it was the first single to ever chart on The Top 40 in the U.S. Peaked at # 24 in August of '64 ,three weeks before " It's All Over Now" turned me into a Stones fan for life ! The strange thing is that "IAON" only peaked at #26 and I literally wore that 45 out.

" Tell Me" is featured in one of my all time favorite movies. . Scorcese's "Mean Streets". Early on in the film, where Harvey Keitel is walking through the bar strutting his stuff, then a bit later on the Stones " "Jumpin Jack Flash" comes on when DiNiro walks down the bar with those two girls he has picked up in the "Village", a great scene and the Stones music is excellent in each scene. Your girls "The Ronettes" are also featured in this film.

JB
Old 01-25-18, 05:46 PM
All World

Chrome good; Bing bad - at least, in this case. Whew!
Old 01-25-18, 05:57 PM
All American

Wow - lot of graphics!

Early Stones - the blues, the scorching guitars of Jones and Richards, Watts' back Beat and Wyman's bass.

The Stones have been around so long, I actually had a paper route in all of '64. From the sublime to the arcane, I had a customer right next to Diva's house.

JB - Year of The Cat, also. I have that album by Al Stewart - thought the two songs mentioned were a moving on, somewhat sad songs. Sort of like We Just Disagree by the great Dave Mason.

On a completely different note, I am a sucker for the Yahoo videos on dog rescues - whether trapped in an icy pond or tethered to a six-inch chain.

Last edited by Bevo; 01-25-18 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-25-18, 07:08 PM
All World

Quote:
Wow - lot of graphics!

Early Stones - the blues, the scorching guitars of Jones and Richards, Watts' back Beat and Wyman's bass.

The Stones have been around so long, I actually had a paper route in all of '64. From the sublime to the arcane, I had a customer right next to Diva's house.

JB - Year of The Cat, also. I have that album by Al Stewart - thought the two songs mentioned were a moving on, somewhat sad songs. Sort of like We Just Disagree by the great Dave Mason.

On a completely different note, I am a sucker for the Yahoo videos on dog rescues - whether trapped in an icy pond or tethered to a six-inch chain.
My brother and I had a paper route during my junior and senior years. We had one hundred and twenty five customers. I can't remember how much (or little) we earned for each paper, but we (each, iirc) saved up about two grand over that period. Does that sound right? Maybe, it was just a grand. Spent next to nothing.

I just listened to and read the lyrics to Time Passages and I thought the same thing, Bevo. Alan Parsons. Wow! Back-tracking a bit, I listened to the three Gordon Lightfoot songs mentioned (and read the lyrics). I definitely underappreciated GL back in the day - maybe with the exception of the Gitchie Gumee song.

Dogs are the best. Is there anything they can't do?
Old 01-25-18, 07:32 PM
All Region

My sons both had paper routes. Paid for their first year of college. One of them had your route, Bevo.
Old 01-25-18, 07:33 PM
All American

I had a 50 customer route that was half of a much bigger route in about '63-'64. I got a buck a week and I had to go ask for it.

I had another route - Toledo Blade in the eighth grade and had a sub pass all of the time because I was in three sports. The only time I made money was when I collected and that was a pain because I'd wait a week or two (or three) and then try to collect on a Sat. afternoon. The Blade was a seven day a week undertaking and the Sunday paper cost more. I had the ring of cards and the punch. Some of my customer would go crazy when I told them they owed a few bucks - which was often the case due to my libetarian approach to business.

Except, Christmas was usually great. Many envelopes with the buck or two and the rare five dollars inside. Sometimes, cookies, gloves, etc. I recall vividly walking the route in the early darkness one night with my cousin Randy, a light sleety, kind of snow and fog everywhere. We trudged along collecting gift after gift. The chilli was extra good that night!

Diva - thankfully for your boys, enough time had gone by to rebuild the business. If I would have known that that route paid that well, I'd still be doing it today!
Old 01-25-18, 08:26 PM
All Region

Luckily, they changed the way people pay and the carriers do not have to collect anymore.
Old 01-25-18, 08:59 PM
All World

Something tells me I am way off on my calculation. It probably seemed like much more at the time. Before we got the Vindicator route, we tried our hand at peddling Grit, which didn't amount to much. A lot of walking and just a few regular customers. Anyone remember the weekly Grit with the color pics?

I understand the collection issues. We also had the ring with cards on it and the punch. I collected from each of my customers weekly, usually on Saturday, too. If I remember correctly, I occasionally switched up to a day during the week in hopes of catching the customers who never seemed to be home. I had one customer couple who were never home. The (cute) babysitter was always there! Did you ever have to show the customer the punched card when they were in disbelief and make sure they were watching as you punched it? (Yes, that's a rhetorical question).

My younger brother was better at collecting, making two-three trips each week. Maybe he was meeting up with that cutie I just mentioned! Loved the Saturday paper because we could get all the papers in one light bag, but dreaded the Sunday paper, which meant two heavy trips - at least. Hated the house where I had to put the paper inside the screen door. Chihuahua, to this day the only dog I don't like. LOL I think we got a few Christmas tips, however, we did not score like you! (Get that route back, man).

Ah, the sixties...
Old 01-25-18, 09:11 PM
All American

I recall Grit very well; the Hutchinson boys "passed" it. That was a tough sell and it didn't pay jack. Reminds of the other door to door guys and gals - like Fuller Brush and Avon.

EagleGuy - sounds like you and I were neighbors; I did have to show punches to people and I did have people who never paid. Of course, you know who paid for those "no pays"? No much protection for a kid trying to make a buck.

I had a customer or two or three who would always leave the door locked and I had no choice but to put the paper on the stoop. And, then it would rain or get windy... .
Old 01-25-18, 11:46 PM
All American

Going to fast forward from adolescence to early adulthood for this but the feelings remained the same:

On a morning from a Bogart movie, to a country where they turn back time
You go strollig through the crowd like Peter Lorre contemplating a crime.

I wouldn't expect half of the younger set to know who Peter Lorre was. Not an indictment - just shows how old the rest of us are!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: