Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-20-18, 04:24 PM
All World

troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
DuVall is still below the Mendoza line. Good ole Pittsburgh Pirate Mario Mendoza!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-18, 10:59 AM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
I agree with EP.....
That's a character flaw...
Old 05-21-18, 11:01 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
That's a character flaw...
Another post where 14Red is insulting and tearing down other posters.
Old 05-21-18, 11:03 AM
All World

Ok, just going to tell everyone ahead of time so you don't have a coronary, Homer Bailey is not going to the bullpen. As much as you say he should, he's not. Saw an article in the Dayton Daily News that says it's pretty much going to be between Romano and Harvey. Romano has options, Harvey could bring back some value in a trade, so my guess is it's going to be Harvey.

Could there be some kind of grand plan where Garrett is a starter in '19? Absolutely. Cardinal ace Carlos Martinez pitched a season or two out of the bullpen and is now a really good starting pitcher. It's not like just because he's not starting now means he'll never start again.
Old 05-21-18, 11:13 AM
All World

Now, onto the weekend.

Thank goodness Wilson gave us a win Saturday, it was the only close game of the series and we nearly gave that away because Iglesias imploded.

30 walks, 30 w-a-l-k-s over the 4 game series by Reds pitching. That's putting on over 7 guys per game for free!!

The Reds have the top 3 pitchers in the NL in giving up home runs. Mahle, Bailey and Castillo. Out of a 15 team league, having the top 3 in any category is significant. If the Reds are going to give up alot of home runs, they need to start hitting more. And we don't have alot of home run hitters.

The Reds are in a quandry with Adam Duvall. He currently leads the team in home runs, but he's hitting under .200. He's our Dave Kingman for anyone that's older than 50. The only saving grace is he's cheap. I really don't think he's going to make it. At least in year's past, we got a 1/2 season out of him. We're not even getting that now. He's very good defensively, and he seems like a great guy, but we need more our of our corner outfielders and we simply are not getting it. Votto, Suarez and Gennett are really our only major offensive threats. Suarez missed 3 weeks with a thumb and Votto has been ok, but not the normal Joey we've seen and his home runs are down.

Pirates coming to town next...after another day off. Odd they have two days off in the last 5 days.
Old 05-22-18, 12:15 AM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
I really wouldn't mind the Reds trying what Tampa Bay did this past weekend by starting a reliever in back to back games. Without looking up the name I believe the guy threw just under 3 innings combined. The "starters" then came in and pitched effectively. At this point what could it hurt? You can adjust a pitchers normal warmup by starting it 15-20 mins later and continue from there. A lot of writers who's opinions I respect are on board with attempting Homer in the bullpen as well. Perhaps only a short stint to hopefully regain his confidence and then get him back in the rotation...unless it becomes a role he comes to enjoy and have success in.

Harvey's sure as hell not going to the pen or the minors so they keep him in the rotation. And he deserves to get the ball every 5th day right now with how he's pitched since coming over. Tomorrow could be a total different story.

Romano seems to be the odd guy out right now but we're still probably 2-3 weeks before Disco throws for the Reds (I believe he has to be up right around June 10 after his rehab time). There's a lot of innings between now and then. Hopefully no injuries but I wouldn't be surprised if someone tweaks something.

Duvall's home runs aren't worth keeping him in the lineup if he can't get things going a bit. And he's only 5 Ks behind Billy. You simply can't waste 3 outs a lineup on Billy, Adam and the pitching spot.
Old 05-22-18, 06:45 AM
All World

I was talking about that with a few of my friends last night, brian. As you said, at this point what could it hurt? Especially on the days where some of the older (looking at you Homer) guys pitch. Or just put Homer in the bullpen. Either option is fine with me.
Old 05-22-18, 01:05 PM
All American

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I was talking about that with a few of my friends last night, brian. As you said, at this point what could it hurt? Especially on the days where some of the older (looking at you Homer) guys pitch. Or just put Homer in the bullpen. Either option is fine with me.
The "hurt" is not giving enough innings to your young starters to develop.
Old 05-22-18, 01:07 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
I really wouldn't mind the Reds trying what Tampa Bay did this past weekend by starting a reliever in back to back games. Without looking up the name I believe the guy threw just under 3 innings combined. The "starters" then came in and pitched effectively. At this point what could it hurt? You can adjust a pitchers normal warmup by starting it 15-20 mins later and continue from there. A lot of writers who's opinions I respect are on board with attempting Homer in the bullpen as well. Perhaps only a short stint to hopefully regain his confidence and then get him back in the rotation...unless it becomes a role he comes to enjoy and have success in.

Harvey's sure as hell not going to the pen or the minors so they keep him in the rotation. And he deserves to get the ball every 5th day right now with how he's pitched since coming over. Tomorrow could be a total different story.

Romano seems to be the odd guy out right now but we're still probably 2-3 weeks before Disco throws for the Reds (I believe he has to be up right around June 10 after his rehab time). There's a lot of innings between now and then. Hopefully no injuries but I wouldn't be surprised if someone tweaks something.

Duvall's home runs aren't worth keeping him in the lineup if he can't get things going a bit. And he's only 5 Ks behind Billy. You simply can't waste 3 outs a lineup on Billy, Adam and the pitching spot.
It would be a mistake to pull Romano from the rotation. Prior to his last two starts he had an ERA below 4. let him pitch thru it.
Old 05-22-18, 01:12 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
The "hurt" is not giving enough innings to your young starters to develop.
Romo pitched 2.1 innings in 2 starts. Assuming the Reds adopt a similar model, that leaves roughly 8 innings for the young starters to develop per game. Are any of them even averaging 7 innings pitched per game, let alone 8? Edit: Looked it up. Not one of Mahle, Castillo or Romano have made it to 7 innings. Doesn't seem like it would change their innings pitched at all.
Old 05-22-18, 01:46 PM
All World

Ok, just hang with me here a little bit guys. I'd guess at some point, Romano, Mahle and Castillo are all going to be shut down in August/ September due to innings limits. I don't think there is any fear that any of our young arms will not get to pitch enough. As long as they are healthy, they'll get plenty of work.
Old 05-22-18, 02:11 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Ok, just hang with me here a little bit guys. I'd guess at some point, Romano, Mahle and Castillo are all going to be shut down in August/ September due to innings limits. I don't think there is any fear that any of our young arms will not get to pitch enough. As long as they are healthy, they'll get plenty of work.
Mahle pitched 164 innings last year. Bump that up 35-45 innings this year and he clears 200. That'll get him thru the season. Romano pitched 136 last season. He's good for 170-180 this year. He should make it into September if not till the end. Castillo pitched 169 innings last season. He'll make it to the end this year.
Old 05-22-18, 02:12 PM
All American

Quote:
Romo pitched 2.1 innings in 2 starts. Assuming the Reds adopt a similar model, that leaves roughly 8 innings for the young starters to develop per game. Are any of them even averaging 7 innings pitched per game, let alone 8? Edit: Looked it up. Not one of Mahle, Castillo or Romano have made it to 7 innings. Doesn't seem like it would change their innings pitched at all.
I see what your saying now.

I was thinking the "plan" was to just go with 12-13 pitchers on the rosters and run 5 out there every night for 1-2 innings.
Old 05-22-18, 02:16 PM
All World

Quote:
I see what your saying now.

I was thinking the "plan" was to just go with 12-13 pitchers on the rosters and run 5 out there every night for 1-2 innings.
Well now that is certainly a different idea! Can you imagine how bad it would have to be to come to that?
Old 05-22-18, 02:23 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post

Who should the Reds replace Duvall with? He currently has .8 WAR. He is leading all Reds outfielders in WAR.
Old 05-22-18, 02:24 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Well now that is certainly a different idea! Can you imagine how bad it would have to be to come to that?
I floated that idea a couple pages ago. Why not?
Old 05-22-18, 02:26 PM
All American

Quote:
You'd have 13 different guys throwing about 115 innings a year.

The math works but I'm not sure how the body would react to pitching every 2 or 3 days for the whole season.
Old 05-22-18, 02:28 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
You'd have 13 different guys throwing about 115 innings a year.

The math works but I'm not sure how the body would react to pitching every 2 or 3 days for the whole season.
Obviously some guys throw a little more, some a little less.
Old 05-22-18, 02:29 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I floated that idea a couple pages ago. Why not?
How would you envision the pitching staff being managed throughout the game?

Would you keep Garrett and or Iggy back to get you out of a jam or would you say go get me thru 4 innings every other day?
Old 05-22-18, 02:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Who should the Reds replace Duvall with? He currently has .8 WAR. He is leading all Reds outfielders in WAR.
Duvallís war is mostly defensive weighted. Meaning itís bascially garbage. His offensive war is below Hamilton.
Old 05-22-18, 02:30 PM
All American

Quote:
Duvallís war is mostly defensive weighted. Meaning itís bascially garbage. His offensive war is below Hamilton.
That's crazy considering Hamilton is by far the superior defender.
Old 05-22-18, 02:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
That's crazy considering Hamilton is by far the superior defender.
Thatís why I donít put much stock in his overall war.
Old 05-22-18, 02:35 PM
All American

Quote:
Thatís why I donít put much stock in his overall war.
How long till Trammel?
Old 05-22-18, 03:44 PM
All World

Quote:
I would use Duval as the 4th outfield. An occasional spot start. My daily lineup would include the outfield of Winker/ Hamilton/ Schebler.

Winker would lead off every day, Hamilton would bat 9th, everyday.

I like the Adam Duvall story, part time outfielder turns slugger, makes the all star game, is in the home run derby. But he simply cannot put the bat on the ball enough. He's a good defensive out fielder, so if you want to make him a late game defensive replacement in left field, I"m good with that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: