Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-24-18, 06:03 AM
All Ohio

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
Haven't heard that one, where is a coach who is admin getting teacher pay?
Old 01-24-18, 07:02 AM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Interesting discussion, and nothing new.

I think it is just Supply an Demand. There is a demand for quality football coaches in a way that does not exist for, say, math teachers. Thus a methodology to get compensation to your desired coach has evolved.

I think many Department Chairs across the state have been forced to take a less-desired teacher onto their staff because of the coaching aspects. It is how many open teacher positions are filled.
Old 01-24-18, 08:35 AM
Junior Varsity

BiasedObserver07 is on a distinguished road
My understanding is that Coach Hopkins will be getting a pretty healthy salary -- not quite where the current administration is, but more than he would be getting as a 12ish-year teacher + the football contract. Not a ton more; but definitely more. And, I think saying that he is getting an "admin" job is a bit of a misnomer. Yes, he will not be in the classroom. So in that way, sure, he is in the administration. But my understanding is it will be sort of a roving/discipline role (not a "Dean of Students" officially, but essentially what it is). He will not have decision-making at any sort of high level. Plus, it's entirely possible that Lebanon might need a role like this. It is a growing school, nearly 1800 students. It isn't unreasonable to think they might need more than just a principal and two assistants.

Brian is right -- it doesn't seem that the teachers in the building are happy, especially since it is right as the union is gearing up for salary negotiations. My daughter (who teaches in the district) told me yesterday she received something from the union asking her input on where negotiations should start/what she would be satisfied with. Lebanon teachers have gotten 2.5% increases the last two years--which puts them in line other districts across the county (and state). That said, creating a new position that pays a set amount is a lot different than the entire district getting a 2.5% raise. I would be floored if the hiring of Matt in a "admin" role impacts salary negotiations at all.

But Brian, I think it is a little naive to suggest that Coach Kindell is entitled to any sort of similar position. There is one sport that is a revenue sport--or comes close to breaking even--and that is football. No other sport, especially not girls' softball, brings in money. Sure, they are a top 3 program in the state over the last 10 years. But they don't make money. And, Coach Kindell seems to have a pretty plush job anyways as an intermediate school gym teacher (or so I hear from people that work with him). I know you are just trying to prove a point -- but it seems a bit extreme.

Lamb legitimately left on his own accord. I don't think there is much backstory other than his kids are getting older and he was sick of dealing with all the crap he took from parents/grandparents--unnecessarily in my opinion. It sucks for Shawn that he only had 7th and 8th period free. That said, he also had a student teacher almost every fall. That certainly mitigates some of the strains of teaching during football season.

What I hate most about this is the resentment towards Matt Hopkins that already seems to exist on this board and in the school district. He has had the job for less than a week. He would have been stupid to reject such a generous offer. It's not his fault a new position was created for him. Matt met with the junior high team this morning and will be meeting Lamb's staff this afternoon. Give him some time to make an impact, then cast your judgment.

Last edited by BiasedObserver07; 01-24-18 at 08:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-24-18, 09:03 AM
All Ohio

Most football programs lose money, and a lot of it. Most think because they bring in most fans it makes money, but all the equipment, new uniforms every few years, field maintenance, referee payments, coaching stipends, and feeding the team they lose a ton.

I encourage anyone who thinks otherwise to file an open records request from your local public school to see if yours makes money or loses. Most make up as much of the losses they can with fundraising and booster clubs.
Old 01-24-18, 09:45 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
Most football programs lose money, and a lot of it. Most think because they bring in most fans it makes money, but all the equipment, new uniforms every few years, field maintenance, referee payments, coaching stipends, and feeding the team they lose a ton.

I encourage anyone who thinks otherwise to file an open records request from your local public school to see if yours makes money or loses. Most make up as much of the losses they can with fundraising and booster clubs.
I didn't say that ticket sales are what made it nearly break even. But, money that comes in through boosters via football is what makes it do that.
Old 01-24-18, 09:06 PM
All Ohio

Off_Tackle08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Haven't heard that one, where is a coach who is admin getting teacher pay?
The title of “Administrator” differs from district to district. I know a lot of districts that have removed the AD from the ranks of “Administration” and made it where they get what they would as a teacher at their same amount of years and then they get a stipend on top of that for the extra days/time they put it. Make sense? They’re still a part of the Union, they cannot negotiate their deal but... they’re not in a classroom all day. It’s also a way to get someone administrative duties without them having an admin license. There are some positions you can’t mess with like this but some, like AD, Dean of Students, Director of College/Career Rediness that schools can.
Old 01-24-18, 09:12 PM
All Ohio

Off_Tackle08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiasedObserver07 View Post
My understanding is that Coach Hopkins will be getting a pretty healthy salary -- not quite where the current administration is, but more than he would be getting as a 12ish-year teacher + the football contract. Not a ton more; but definitely more. And, I think saying that he is getting an "admin" job is a bit of a misnomer. Yes, he will not be in the classroom. So in that way, sure, he is in the administration. But my understanding is it will be sort of a roving/discipline role (not a "Dean of Students" officially, but essentially what it is). He will not have decision-making at any sort of high level. Plus, it's entirely possible that Lebanon might need a role like this. It is a growing school, nearly 1800 students. It isn't unreasonable to think they might need more than just a principal and two assistants.

Brian is right -- it doesn't seem that the teachers in the building are happy, especially since it is right as the union is gearing up for salary negotiations. My daughter (who teaches in the district) told me yesterday she received something from the union asking her input on where negotiations should start/what she would be satisfied with. Lebanon teachers have gotten 2.5% increases the last two years--which puts them in line other districts across the county (and state). That said, creating a new position that pays a set amount is a lot different than the entire district getting a 2.5% raise. I would be floored if the hiring of Matt in a "admin" role impacts salary negotiations at all.

But Brian, I think it is a little naive to suggest that Coach Kindell is entitled to any sort of similar position. There is one sport that is a revenue sport--or comes close to breaking even--and that is football. No other sport, especially not girls' softball, brings in money. Sure, they are a top 3 program in the state over the last 10 years. But they don't make money. And, Coach Kindell seems to have a pretty plush job anyways as an intermediate school gym teacher (or so I hear from people that work with him). I know you are just trying to prove a point -- but it seems a bit extreme.

Lamb legitimately left on his own accord. I don't think there is much backstory other than his kids are getting older and he was sick of dealing with all the crap he took from parents/grandparents--unnecessarily in my opinion. It sucks for Shawn that he only had 7th and 8th period free. That said, he also had a student teacher almost every fall. That certainly mitigates some of the strains of teaching during football season.

What I hate most about this is the resentment towards Matt Hopkins that already seems to exist on this board and in the school district. He has had the job for less than a week. He would have been stupid to reject such a generous offer. It's not his fault a new position was created for him. Matt met with the junior high team this morning and will be meeting Lamb's staff this afternoon. Give him some time to make an impact, then cast your judgment.
You’re entirely correct. Giving one guy a job isn’t the same as giving an entire district a 2.5% raise and that’s a 2.5% raise for pretty much ever. That’s a few hundred thousand dollars year in and year out as opposed to $15,000 to get a guy to move his family into the district and commit to something they desperately need, a great football coach and a leader in the district. I wouldn’t vote against him just yet, he might be the guys. If he’s not... then Lebanon starts its search again in a few years.
Old 01-24-18, 11:30 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
I'm actually glad they hired someone without any Lebanon connections. A fresh set of eyes and ideas could really do some good.

I have nothing at all against the coach and wish him nothing but success. But unfortunately he's walking into a situation where I'm not sure how well he'll be welcomed. The main argument I'm hearing is the school district created the position without giving anyone else the ability to apply for it. Those same people could've applied for the Head Football Coaches position even though they have no background. At least they could still throw their name in the running. It's kinda where when a kid moves into a district because his parents relocated and the team doesn't like that he's taking someone's position.

I don't blame Shawn one bit for stepping down. I went and sat in the stands for one game last year and there's no way I'd want my kids hearing the things that were being said if I were him. And that should be an embarrassment for all Warriors. I played for him and believe he treated me very fair. A private discussion we had walking off the field before the playoffs will always stick with me. But don't tell someone there's no chance a position could be created and then turn around and create one as soon as he leaves.

I totally understand a district wide raise is different than one position. But the school board isn't going to just give them that without trying to pinch every single penny out of them (health care/personal days/schedule).

Once again I fully support Coach Hopkins coaching hire.
Old 01-25-18, 07:25 AM
All Region

Ballin50 is on a distinguished road
QB Completions-87 Attempts-160 Yards-1003 TD-8
RB Attempts-238 Yards- 1719 TD-14

Looks like he loves to run the football. If memory serves me correct Lebanon has a nice running back in Lamb returning for the next two years! I would love to know what Preble Shawnee ran offensively. Is he under center or from the gun? All Lebanon QB's from 3rd grade on up have been from shotgun formation for the past few years. As all of you Monday morning QB's know this is always a major topic in football going from the gun to under center.
Old 01-25-18, 08:11 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballin50 View Post
QB Completions-87 Attempts-160 Yards-1003 TD-8
RB Attempts-238 Yards- 1719 TD-14

Looks like he loves to run the football. If memory serves me correct Lebanon has a nice running back in Lamb returning for the next two years! I would love to know what Preble Shawnee ran offensively. Is he under center or from the gun? All Lebanon QB's from 3rd grade on up have been from shotgun formation for the past few years. As all of you Monday morning QB's know this is always a major topic in football going from the gun to under center.
In 2013, though, his QB threw for almost 2,000 yards and 18 TDs while his lead RB ran for just over 700. So it looks to me that he may adjust his play calling to the personnel he has, which is encouraging.

And, I don't know that Lamb is a great lead RB. He ran for 300 yards, 3.8 YPC, and 5 touchdowns. He's a stout, solid athlete -- just very undersized. That said, Lebanon does have some good athletes to get the ball to: Lamb, Inoles, Marsh at running back; Allen on the outside. Hopkins will come in to a program with a serviceable QB, as well, in Short. There is also an 8th grader that I think can make an impact with the ball in his hands as a freshman next year.

And Brian -- I wasn't trying to make digs at you. I enjoyed seeing you and your classmates play for Shawn and Dave. I love Shawn as a person; and appreciate what he did for Lebanon. I just don't necessarily agree that the anger of those in the school district is well-placed. And, I think a lot of it is misguided and misinformed.

I would think that we all want Coach Hopkins to succeed.
Old 01-25-18, 04:52 PM
All American

Here's another problem I have with creating the higher paying position. The schools entered an agreement with the Lebanon Police just two weeks ago to add a School Resource Officer. While negotiating terms of the agreement the district said they didn't have money to pay 50% (very normal agreement) of the SRO's salary so the city decided it was still in the best interest of the community to soak up the additional money and place an officer in the schools. I thank the city for doing so.

So the school board and administration has essentially decided to place a higher importance on football than the safety of staff and students. And I'm sure before everything's said and done they will create other positions for Coach Hopkins incoming staff. Again this is not Coach Hopkins fault but I understand why teachers are upset. I also understand why the community is upset.
Old 01-26-18, 11:17 AM
All Region

Coach Hopkins current credentials according to the Ohio Department of Education are as followed
7-12 Integrated Social Studies & Career Based Intervention. Once a social studies job comes open he will get it.
Old 01-26-18, 11:38 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Coach Hopkins current credentials according to the Ohio Department of Education are as followed
7-12 Integrated Social Studies & Career Based Intervention. Once a social studies job comes open he will get it.
So why don't they create a Social Studies position for him? It would be a whole lot easier. He can teach mostly SS electives.

Don't kid yourself, they are not creating an admin position so that he can wait to get a pay cut to be a teacher, that's silly
Old 01-26-18, 12:28 PM
All Region

Quote:
So why don't they create a Social Studies position for him? It would be a whole lot easier. He can teach mostly SS electives.

Don't kid yourself, they are not creating an admin position so that he can wait to get a pay cut to be a teacher, that's silly

IMO i don't believe Hopkins is getting administration pay. I feel the district will pay him whatever step he is on teacher wise. They created a position with a admin title but with teacher pay.

If we want to get technical about creating jobs and making sure we have certified people in those positions, for many years Lebanon allowed Brian Kindell to teach physical education without being certified to teach it and nobody seemed to care... All people worried about was winning softball games
Old 01-26-18, 01:19 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
IMO i don't believe Hopkins is getting administration pay. I feel the district will pay him whatever step he is on teacher wise. They created a position with a admin title but with teacher pay.

This is directly contra to what I have heard.

My understanding is he will be in line for less than current administration, but more than what he would be making as a 12ish year teacher. From what I understand, if we assume Lebanon were to have given him the usual 10-year contract with a masters plus the football contract, he will making approximately $10-15,000 more than that. So, it is more money and a "new" position, but not this $150,000 position that was created out of thin air and taking money from other teachers and the school resource officer. It is $10-15,000 more; which will have NO impact on the teacher's 2.5% raise. Nor did it have any impact on the hiring of a school resource officer.

I think saying so is disingenuous and ill-informed. And saying that Lebanon is prioritizing a football coach over student's safety is melodramatic and simply wrong. They are completely different things. A rudimentary understanding of school funding and budgets would prove that.

That all said, I think this thread can conclude. Lebanon has its coach. Those bemoaning Shawn are no where to be found anymore. If the merits of whether coaches should be given non-traditional teaching roles and pay needs and wants to be discussed, it can have its own dedicated thread.

Best of luck to Coach Hopkins and the Warriors.
Old 01-28-18, 05:14 PM
All Region

lebanonwarriors4ever is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My understanding is that there were over 60 applications for the job. Ranging from current D1 head coaches (that made the playoffs this year) to coordinators at area schools to those with no experience whatsoever (maybe Glackin's dad took someone's advice and applied himself!). I also know there were some accomplished Lebanon alumni that are in the coaching profession that applied for the job.

Interviews have been ongoing over the past week; and I believe the expectation is that a coach will be named and hired by the time school breaks for Christmas break.

I want to correct a few things that have been discussed:

1. While I believe it to be the desire to find a fully, licensed teacher, I would not say that it is mission critical. There have been talks about an attempt to be creative with the hiring if the right candidate is found outside of the district that isn't necessarily a fully licensed teacher or if the candidate doesn't match a district opening (i.e. some sort of job at the high school that doesn't require a teaching license). I think this comes from wanting to get the right person for the job, and also realizing that the demands placed on Lamb having to teach 6 of 8 periods are unlike many other SWO coaches.

2. I wouldn't necessarily expect some of the "big" names around the area to get interviews. Just because someone has had success winning a state championship at a local school does not mean preliminary research has led to the conclusion that that coach may not be worth the trouble.

3. All necessary stakeholders have been and will continue to be a part of this search. Certainly that includes the youth program and parents. But I wouldn't say that the youth program or the parents even a large say in the decision. They are but one of the many stakeholders brought in to assist in the decision -- which includes community leaders, the district administration, the high school administration, the athletic department, major donors, past players, and yes, the youth program and some parents.

4. While I greatly respect Lamb, he was not without his faults (as all coaches I know). But, Lebanon simply h asn't had the talent on the field. Glackin aside (who, yes, as a redshirt freshman had one assisted tackle this year -- not the surefire starter he has been made out to be),Lebanon has only produced MAC and D3 level talent. Sure, Morgan was a preferred walk-on at Ohio State. Wolf and Cochran were good MAC WRs. There have been a string of lineman (Bennett, Sayre). Bradd Ellis worked his butt-off to earn a starting position as a senior (and, he will not be playing on Sundays -- per my conversation with him). That is since 2006. Over 10 years, an Ohio D1 program has produced 5 MAC-scholarship players. Compare that with Brausch, who in 5-year span had Kelton Lindsay (Ohio State), Brady Merchant (Harvard), Matt McCutcheon (Kentucky), Reese and Jordan Hicks (both had NFL practice-squad stints), Charlie Rittgers (Dartmouth). I don't think anyone can dispute that Brausch had more talented players. He came in at a great time. Of course, Lamb could have made adjustments to players. But, he went 76-55. That ain't bad (but it ain't good).

Having heard from multiple sources and people during this search, I want to commend Lebanon for their job search. It has been effective and efficient. I know that final interviews will be upcoming soon, after a week of preliminary interviews already. Prior to narrowing down candidates, stakeholders got together so that they could discuss high-level philosophy and what the Lebanon job "should" look like.

And the new coach has a lot going for him: a mid-size D1 school, Lebanon has passed every single levy that has been on the ballot, a great place to live, and an absolute stud 8th grader that is coming up (who, I have been told, will be staying). It is an attractive job. And it should be.
I would imagine Jango Glackin tearing his labrum in camp, being carted off the field against BGSU on his first play, and undergoing surgery may have limited his playtime. I recall Coach Fitzgerald talking about what a great off season he had on BTN ( Big Ten Network). His head coach said he was looking forward to his freshman flying around the field. You may want to know facts before you trash a kid. How may games has your son played in the B1G ? Your college football career ? That one tackle is the only tackle a Warrior has made on a B1G roster in over 20 years. It isn't common for a Freshman to play in the B1G, Jango would have seen significant play time according to the head coach on BTN. The kid gets over 100k in scholarships to play HS football, all the haters laughed and said the kid would never see the field. He started every game, won awards, and led the team in tackles before getting injured . And that was against the best HS teams in the nation. He had over 20 D1 FBS offers,their hasn't been an FBS offer in Lebanon since him. Last power five offer in Lebanon was over twenty years before him. Jango continues to make the haters look like just what they are, jealous haters. Even if the kid never plays a down, he has a full scholarship to one of the top Universities in the nation. That is over 80k a year. The kid will have been paid over 500k to play football.

Last edited by lebanonwarriors4ever; 01-28-18 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-28-18, 07:14 PM
All Region

Quote:
This is directly contra to what I have heard.

My understanding is he will be in line for less than current administration, but more than what he would be making as a 12ish year teacher. From what I understand, if we assume Lebanon were to have given him the usual 10-year contract with a masters plus the football contract, he will making approximately $10-15,000 more than that. So, it is more money and a "new" position, but not this $150,000 position that was created out of thin air and taking money from other teachers and the school resource officer. It is $10-15,000 more; which will have NO impact on the teacher's 2.5% raise. Nor did it have any impact on the hiring of a school resource officer.

I think saying so is disingenuous and ill-informed. And saying that Lebanon is prioritizing a football coach over student's safety is melodramatic and simply wrong. They are completely different things. A rudimentary understanding of school funding and budgets would prove that.

That all said, I think this thread can conclude. Lebanon has its coach. Those bemoaning Shawn are no where to be found anymore. If the merits of whether coaches should be given non-traditional teaching roles and pay needs and wants to be discussed, it can have its own dedicated thread.

Best of luck to Coach Hopkins and the Warriors.
Very good post. Those with a problem with Mr Lamb no longer need to have a problem he, is gone. Earlier you talked of Shawn having a teaching job that may have cut into his coaching time. Not many will say he is a good teacher that have had him for class. Don't think he spent much time worrying about his classroom.Many peoples problem with Mr Lamb wasn't wins and loses, it was how he treated certain kids. Hopefully the new coach doesn't hire any of the old staff and clears the sidelines. I hope he does more to help kids play football after HS. Best players should play as much as they can. I for one wish the new coach nothing but success and hope he gets lots of support. Be very nice to see this be a start of a rebirth of the Warrior.
Old 01-28-18, 08:45 PM
All District

rocketman82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebanonwarriors4ever View Post
I would imagine Jango Glackin tearing his labrum in camp, being carted off the field against BGSU on his first play, and undergoing surgery may have limited his playtime. I recall Coach Fitzgerald talking about what a great off season he had on BTN ( Big Ten Network). His head coach said he was looking forward to his freshman flying around the field. You may want to know facts before you trash a kid. How may games has your son played in the B1G ? Your college football career ? That one tackle is the only tackle a Warrior has made on a B1G roster in over 20 years. It isn't common for a Freshman to play in the B1G, Jango would have seen significant play time according to the head coach on BTN. The kid gets over 100k in scholarships to play HS football, all the haters laughed and said the kid would never see the field. He started every game, won awards, and led the team in tackles before getting injured . And that was against the best HS teams in the nation. He had over 20 D1 FBS offers,their hasn't been an FBS offer in Lebanon since him. Last power five offer in Lebanon was over twenty years before him. Jango continues to make the haters look like just what they are, jealous haters. Even if the kid never plays a down, he has a full scholarship to one of the top Universities in the nation. That is over 80k a year. The kid will have been paid over 500k to play football.
No one cares! Go hype your man crush to IMG or Northwestern. He is not a Warrior. No different than any other kid that transfers to any other school. If you don’t finish at a school your not part of its program. So that one tackle means absolutely nothing to the Lebanon program. There has still not been a Big Ten scholarship offered to a Lebanon player in the last 20 years. Good luck to him in the future. I hope he recovers and gets to play.
Old 01-28-18, 09:38 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman82 View Post
No one cares! Go hype your man crush to IMG or Northwestern. He is not a Warrior. No different than any other kid that transfers to any other school. If you don’t finish at a school your not part of its program. So that one tackle means absolutely nothing to the Lebanon program. There has still not been a Big Ten scholarship offered to a Lebanon player in the last 20 years. Good luck to him in the future. I hope he recovers and gets to play.
The fact he had 9 offers as a Sophomore as a Warrior , means he was offered as a Warrior.
Old 02-02-18, 03:47 PM
Junior Varsity

Zaphod is on a distinguished road
Some info

First, a little background is in order: I'm in the P. Shawnee school district. I've had boys in the football program and I have watched Shawnee football for many years. Here is: What I know of coach Hopkins and an attempt at an objective appraisal of the program during his tenure:
Coach Hopkins played HS ball at Shawnee at QB, no college ball that I know of, and prior to his being hired for the HC spot at Shawnee his only coaching experience was an assistant role at Eaton. At the time he was hired Shawnee was down (even for us) on talent and experience, at a school that does not have a winning tradition in football. But, the lower levels were looking pretty good. The 8th grade team that year went 10-0. The first couple of years were hard to watch. Few talented upper classmen and lots freshman and sophomores starting Varsity. He made some bone head coaching mistakes those first couple of years, but that is to be expected. As that first group of freshman and the team behind them matured the win column looked better, culminating in last years season. Unfortunately, I have to say, despite the success last year, the coaching staff under Hopkins didn't do anything to improve the long term health of the program. There was no attempt that I'm aware of to leverage that success to increase participation. If there was it was ineffective: Next years numbers are going to be low and, once again, they will have to start under-classmen on varsity just to field a team. Not what I would have expected following the best season the program has ever had.

The TL;DR: Don't attribute too much of the recent success at Shawnee to Hopkins. He greatly benefited from one of the best group of boys we have had come through the school in a very long time (Full disclosure my kids were NOT in this group and were never coached by coach Hopkins)

I really do hope you folks have a different experience.
Old 02-06-18, 06:57 PM
All Region

Eagle112 is on a distinguished road
Ouch...... This was the fear I had with this hire. It sounds like this coach is going to be learning and experiencing with his kids against the GWOC Teams and Coaches he will face. He will be playing aganst the best coaches and players he has EVER coached against. I hope he has a short learning curve...Good luck to Lebanon!

“Clubber Lang do you have any predictions for this fight?” “PAIN......”
Old 02-08-18, 11:48 AM
All District

BaBa au Rum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
First, a little background is in order: I'm in the P. Shawnee school district. I've had boys in the football program and I have watched Shawnee football for many years. Here is: What I know of coach Hopkins and an attempt at an objective appraisal of the program during his tenure:
Coach Hopkins played HS ball at Shawnee at QB, no college ball that I know of, and prior to his being hired for the HC spot at Shawnee his only coaching experience was an assistant role at Eaton. At the time he was hired Shawnee was down (even for us) on talent and experience, at a school that does not have a winning tradition in football. But, the lower levels were looking pretty good. The 8th grade team that year went 10-0. The first couple of years were hard to watch. Few talented upper classmen and lots freshman and sophomores starting Varsity. He made some bone head coaching mistakes those first couple of years, but that is to be expected. As that first group of freshman and the team behind them matured the win column looked better, culminating in last years season. Unfortunately, I have to say, despite the success last year, the coaching staff under Hopkins didn't do anything to improve the long term health of the program. There was no attempt that I'm aware of to leverage that success to increase participation. If there was it was ineffective: Next years numbers are going to be low and, once again, they will have to start under-classmen on varsity just to field a team. Not what I would have expected following the best season the program has ever had.

The TL;DR: Don't attribute too much of the recent success at Shawnee to Hopkins. He greatly benefited from one of the best group of boys we have had come through the school in a very long time (Full disclosure my kids were NOT in this group and were never coached by coach Hopkins)

I say give the man a chance. Doesn't matter that 4 other coaches turned it down, most were fishing anyway. Grippa, Spect and Mahan were just seeing how much $$ they could get.

Depends on the staff he brings in. If the head coach is a good leader, manager and can surround himself with quality guys, he should be good!
Old 02-08-18, 11:51 AM
All Region

HistoryTeacher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post

Some SWBL coaches have told me they feel that Hopkins was the 4th best coach in the SWBL Buckeye division behind Poff/Brown/Lane or Pearce. That does not mean that they feel he wont be successful, every coach is based on situation. They were just kind of shocked. At least one was upset due to not applying for Lebanon and now realizing he would have probably had a shot. I hope that this turns into a good hire for Lebanon and maybe Hopkins will have a chip on his shoulder.
Old 02-08-18, 12:18 PM
All Region

HSFB is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=BaBa au Rum;6982425]I say give the man a chance. Doesn't matter that 4 other coaches turned it down, most were fishing anyway. Grippa, Spect and Mahan were just seeing how much $$ they could get.

You are saying that these are 3 of the 4 coaches that turned the job down?
Old 02-08-18, 12:28 PM
All District

BaBa au Rum is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=HSFB;6982457]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBa au Rum View Post
I say give the man a chance. Doesn't matter that 4 other coaches turned it down, most were fishing anyway. Grippa, Spect and Mahan were just seeing how much $$ they could get.

You are saying that these are 3 of the 4 coaches that turned the job down?
Yes. Look back through the thread, not hard to figure out. Grippa and Mahon were named on here, the other just said a St X coach that would blow up yappi. Also saw something on the St X thread, but can't find it now.
Old 02-08-18, 12:48 PM
All Region

HSFB is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=BaBa au Rum;6982469]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSFB View Post

Yes. Look back through the thread, not hard to figure out. Grippa and Mahon were named on here, the other just said a St X coach that would blow up yappi[. Also saw something on the St X thread, but can't find it now.
If I remember right a St. X coach was not mentioned about blowing up Yappi.

Last edited by HSFB; 02-08-18 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-08-18, 03:43 PM
All District

FormerRef is on a distinguished road
I was as cryptic as could be. FouRRth guy was a former Boro coach.
Old 02-13-18, 07:59 AM
All Region

JetSweepAudible22 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=BaBa au Rum;6982469]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSFB View Post

Yes. Look back through the thread, not hard to figure out. Grippa and Mahon were named on here, the other just said a St X coach that would blow up yappi. Also saw something on the St X thread, but can't find it now.
Grippa and the AD go way back. He was the first call. Once he said no, Mahon went in there with a number that was way too high for Lebanon. There was no one from St. X that they could have hired.

Who is going to be on Hopkins staff?
Old 05-22-18, 06:38 PM
All American

Lebanon teachers vote on their contract tomorrow and it sounds like a lot will be wearing red as a symbol they're voting against the current offer. Many are stating what the football coach is being compensated compared to what they're being offered. If the contract doesn't pass the teachers union vote tomorrow things could get ugly. Especially as they look to hire a new basketball coach...
Old 05-22-18, 07:12 PM
Varsity

bleecher-bum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
Lebanon teachers vote on their contract tomorrow and it sounds like a lot will be wearing red as a symbol they're voting against the current offer. Many are stating what the football coach is being compensated compared to what they're being offered. If the contract doesn't pass the teachers union vote tomorrow things could get ugly. Especially as they look to hire a new basketball coach...
I am in favor of teachers negotiating better pay if they can but using what a coach is making as leverage is complete nonsense. Apples and oranges.