Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-21-18, 02:55 PM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
North Coast League losing yet another school in 2019

Just revealed that long time member Garfield Hts. Trinity will be leaving the NCL after the 2018-19 year to join the CVC and would play in the same division as Brooklyn Cuyahoga Hts Kirtland Lutheran West Independence and Richmond Hts. It seems as if the NCL is revolving door of teams lately ever since the expansion of the NCL adding Warren JFK, Benedictine, Walsh Jesuit, and Beaumont in 2011 although losing Elyria Catholic in the process causing a new scheduling change.
Teams that have left since 2011. And note all that left were from the white Division. Who replaces Trinity moving forward?

2011 Elyria Catholic
2013 St.Peter Chanel
2015 Holy Name
2017 Youngstown Valley Christian
2019 Trinity

Original teams since VASJ and CCC joined in 2004

Lake Catholic
Padua
NDCL
VASJ
CCC
Hoban

Teams added since 2011 expansion and remained

Benedictine 2011 (boys only)
Walsh Jesuit 2011
Beaumont 2011 (girls only)
Warren JFK 2011
Aquinas 2014
Gilmour 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-18, 10:43 PM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
And St. Joseph Academy coming I believe this Fall on the girlísí side.

Old 04-23-18, 10:13 AM
All American

North Coast League losing yet another school in 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoban2020 View Post
And St. Joseph Academy coming I believe this Fall on the girlísí side.

Which obviously has no effect on the boy side unless the NCL tries to lure University School into the league to even things out

Old 04-23-18, 10:31 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
How much of this NCL White movement is really ease of travel? Kind of interesting that these small school public leagues are all willing to take on NCL White schools that are more challenged on the field like a Trinity or Holy Name yet any decent athletic school like a VASJ would never sniff an invite from a conference like the CVC. What would be the chances that the Suburban League would extend an invite to Walsh or Hoban to help ease travel? Lake Catholic is geographically right in the middle of the CVC big school Division yet I don't see an offer coming any time soon.
Old 04-23-18, 12:13 PM
All American

Summa is on a distinguished road
I think this move by Trinity will be short lived, especially since separation of publics and privates is coming sooner rather than later.
Old 04-23-18, 12:14 PM
#BleedBlack&Gold

BlackandGold is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
How much of this NCL White movement is really ease of travel? Kind of interesting that these small school public leagues are all willing to take on NCL White schools that are more challenged on the field like a Trinity or Holy Name yet any decent athletic school like a VASJ would never sniff an invite from a conference like the CVC. What would be the chances that the Suburban League would extend an invite to Walsh or Hoban to help ease travel? Lake Catholic is geographically right in the middle of the CVC big school Division yet I don't see an offer coming any time soon.
Great point! Surely worthy of it's own thread.
Old 04-23-18, 12:25 PM
All American

Summa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Many state representives come from private schools and can destroy an OHSAA decision at the snap of a finger.
I believe you may be correct about that, but it happened in Louisiana (a heavily Catholic state with a ton of their elected officials being alumni of private schools) and they couldn't stop it. It would depend on state laws and the Ohio constitution. I really have not looked into it, but you may be correct in that the Ohio state legislature could put the breaks on it, unlike Louisiana.

Last edited by Summa; 04-23-18 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-24-18, 07:42 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackandGold View Post
Great point! Surely worthy of it's own thread.

And itís true. St.Joes/VASJ was independent up until 2004/05 when the Crown Conference folded and was independent for all those years. Football wise it would make sense on a competitive note but basketball I can understand with the competitiveness

Old 04-24-18, 09:10 AM
All American

Honestly a possible replacements for Trinity could Lutheran East and would beef up the NCL basketball portion of the league. Another candidates could be University School or Hawken or even add both if the NCL Blue Division adds another school US seems logical to counter St.Joseph Academy
Old 04-24-18, 09:26 AM
All Region

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
Honestly a possible replacements for Trinity could Lutheran East and would beef up the NCL basketball portion of the league. Another candidates could be University School or Hawken or even add both if the NCL Blue Division adds another school US seems logical to counter St.Joseph Academy
University would be a good fit in the NCL as a whole, but they would run through the White division in football unopposed. Hawken would be a good fit as well but the state of their football program isn't good. If we are talking as a whole, however, I could easily see US making the jump. Not sure how interested they are in looking for a conference though.

Only problem is that neither school is a Catholic school.....
Old 04-24-18, 09:27 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Hawken is in the CVC so there is no need for them to join a Conference.

Lutheran East probably makes the most sense if they want to keep things at a certain number. Cornerstone Christian may be another but I'm not sure they play football. If US was to join they would be in the Blue and at this time I don't think they have any interest as they would be dominated in the non-country club sports. If looking to expand the Blue it really should be SVSM.
Old 04-24-18, 12:01 PM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Amazingly when CVCA was almost kicked out of the PAC -7 a few years the Catholic schools were not interested in a non Catholic school being in the league. Shortly after the NCL reach out to YCS and Lutheran East? Interesting.
Old 04-24-18, 01:30 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by the123kidz View Post
Amazingly when CVCA was almost kicked out of the PAC -7 a few years the Catholic schools were not interested in a non Catholic school being in the league. Shortly after the NCL reach out to YCS and Lutheran East? Interesting.

Most of us were surprised about YCS joint a couple years ago. CVCA could be a decent candidate.

Old 04-24-18, 01:33 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
University would be a good fit in the NCL as a whole, but they would run through the White division in football unopposed. Hawken would be a good fit as well but the state of their football program isn't good. If we are talking as a whole, however, I could easily see US making the jump. Not sure how interested they are in looking for a conference though.

Only problem is that neither school is a Catholic school.....

I mean yes however 3 of the 6 White Division teams CCC VASJ and Gilmour have played US or could compete against US in football. Trinity leaving opens that possibility up. JFK needs up their schedule a bit at the start of the year, Aquinas has had a respectable program for years but unfortunately going through a dark stretch right now. Even roll the dice to try and convince Elyria Catholic and Holy Name to return to the NCL

Old 04-24-18, 01:40 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Hawken is in the CVC so there is no need for them to join a Conference.

Lutheran East probably makes the most sense if they want to keep things at a certain number. Cornerstone Christian may be another but I'm not sure they play football. If US was to join they would be in the Blue and at this time I don't think they have any interest as they would be dominated in the non-country club sports. If looking to expand the Blue it really should be SVSM.
You're right. It really should be STVM. But I just don't see STVM basketball going for it. Which makes little sense considering they play a good percentage of NCL teams already.
Old 04-24-18, 02:00 PM
All District

ndforever1967 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
You're right. It really should be STVM. But I just don't see STVM basketball going for it. Which makes little sense considering they play a good percentage of NCL teams already.
Would SVSM basketball be interested if NCL gets rid of the home-home requirement?
Old 04-24-18, 02:21 PM
Freshman

OSU_FB11 is on a distinguished road
There is ZERO chance US would join the NCL (or really any league for that matter) Like if you had to place odds on it, they'd be 10,000 to 1! NO CHANCE, they LOVE the independence
Old 04-24-18, 03:50 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndforever1967 View Post
Would SVSM basketball be interested if NCL gets rid of the home-home requirement?
My gut feeling is that Coach Dru REALLY likes the freedom he has when it comes to scheduling. And if you look at the schedule, it hard to complain with what he has put together. Plus, being independent allows him the flexibility to add a team at the last minute, for example, like John Glenn a couple of years ago when they had put together a championship team. So, IMO while it makes scheduling a whole lot more challenging for the football team, I don't see STVM joining the NCL at this point in time.
Old 04-24-18, 04:19 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
Outside of football, there is no need for University School to join a conference (they seem not to have scheduling problems in those sports). For a few years they were in the Premier with the Lake/Geauga type bigger schools for mutual ease of football scheduling (Madison, Lakeside, Geneva, E. North, W. South, Riverside, Chardon -- that was a group of seven). That league got shifted through realignment and Univ School went back to being independent.

If they're not having problems filling weeks four through ten in football, there's zero reason for them to join a league.

Cornerstone does NOT have football.

I'm thinking most of the NCL issues are related to football/scheduling. See the revolving door in that lower division trying to find schools to fill football schedules.
Old 04-24-18, 08:27 PM
All Yappi

allworld is on a distinguished road
Would Padua jump ship?
Old 04-25-18, 09:03 AM
All American

What I think would be the best scenario to toughen up the white Division is to try and lure Elyria Catholic and Holy Name back into the NCL. EC has been playing at least VASJ and CCC in football and Holy Name has played a few NCL Blue Division teams lately. But realistically it will probably be Lutheran East that would be replacing Trinity

Old 04-25-18, 12:03 PM
Junior Varsity

Jake22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I mean yes however 3 of the 6 White Division teams CCC VASJ and Gilmour have played US or could compete against US in football. Trinity leaving opens that possibility up. JFK needs up their schedule a bit at the start of the year, Aquinas has had a respectable program for years but unfortunately going through a dark stretch right now. Even roll the dice to try and convince Elyria Catholic and Holy Name to return to the NCL

Have you been in a cave. JFK has been in the playoffs the last 3 years
Old 04-25-18, 12:44 PM
Freshman

OSU_FB11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake22 View Post
Have you been in a cave. JFK has been in the playoffs the last 3 years
Not quite a cave, but most of these clowns are indeed living in their parents basement
Old 04-29-18, 11:36 AM
All Yappi

allworld is on a distinguished road
Holy Name likes its travel situation.....No way they leave! GLC becoming a nice little conference as long as the Parma Schools are happy. Hopefully Buckeye or Lakewood will join!

I think Parma will look to bolt from the NCL eventually
Old 07-26-18, 02:12 PM
All Yappi

Hearing that not enough players signed up to have Freshmen teams at NDCL & Lake Catholic. Can anyone confirm who will have Freshmen teams in the NCL for 2018?
Old 07-26-18, 02:22 PM
Cooling Off

Cougarfan222 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hearing that not enough players signed up to have Freshmen teams at NDCL & Lake Catholic. Can anyone confirm who will have Freshmen teams in the NCL for 2018?
Hoban will have a freshman team.
Old 07-26-18, 03:42 PM
All Ohio

Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
JFK needs up their schedule a bit at the start of the year

It's hard to "up the schedule" when no one will play you. Teams in our area will not schedule us, the same as Mooney and Ursuline. This year we start with Champion, who isn't very good, but then have Labrae and Girard. Both will be playoff teams. We play 1 DVII school and a slew of playoff teams, or at least teams that should make the playoffs this year. Combining our OOC and conference we play one of the toughest DII schedules in the state, a long with the MAC and Aquainas. Which I think is a good thing. It prepares you for the playoffs for sure.

Any whispers on a replacement for Trinity yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Old 07-26-18, 05:44 PM
All District

parkhaven is an unknown quantity at this point
Auggie is still hoping NDCL fails so that Benedictine can succeed.

Quote:
Auggie is so destined to be disappointed. LOL!
Old 07-26-18, 08:10 PM
Freshman

kjp82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I heard Lake Catholic has less than 100 coming in for the incoming freshmen class. I hope itís not true.
That is not remotely true.
Old 07-26-18, 09:10 PM
All District

parkhaven is an unknown quantity at this point
Lc.

Quote:
I heard Lake Catholic has less than 100 coming in for the incoming freshmen class. I hope itís not true.
I heard that LC is having other problems that are unrelated to their football program but might be having an impact on it. (It was hearsay for what it is worth.)