Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who will win?
Struthers 15 57.69%
Liberty 11 42.31%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-15, 11:58 PM
All Ohio

BTrev is on a distinguished road
Week 1: Struthers at Liberty

Kickoff is less than 30 days away. Doubles start on Saturday. Might as well start this up now...

The Struthers/Liberty game is usually a very competitive early season matchup. Not many blowouts in the series....

Of the 13 games in the series, 8 have been decided by less than 2 scores... 7 of which have been decided by single digits. Only 2 have been decided by more than 3 scores.

Struthers leads the series, 7-6.

1999: Struthers 35, Liberty 14
2000: Struthers 21, Liberty 14
2001: Struthers 14, Liberty 6
2002: Struthers 13, Liberty 7 (OT)
2003: Struthers 20, Liberty 16
2004: Liberty 19, Struthers 13
2005: Liberty 37, Struthers 6
2006: Liberty 18, Struthers 6
2007: Liberty 43, Struthers 22
2008: Liberty 32, Struthers 14
2009: Liberty 13, Struthers 7
2010: Struthers 41, Liberty 7
2011: Struthers 20, Liberty 18

Returning leaders for the Cats...

Passing: Musolino - 784 yards, 65.7%, 7 touchdowns
Rushing: Musolino - 646 yards, 5.5 average, 8 touchdowns
Receiving: Senvisky - 6 receptions, 48 yards
Tackles: Senvisky - 51 tackles (26 solo), 7.5 TFL
Sacks: Senvisky - 3.5 sacks
Interceptions: Best - 1 interception, 3 PBU

Returning starters on offense - 3
Returning starters on defense - 2

I'm not sure what to expect from Liberty this year. I just know they'll have good size, and they should have a good amount back from a 10-2 team a year ago... only with a different Head Coach and minus their workhorse RB.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-15, 01:22 AM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
If rios did indeed leave Liberty i think Struthers rolls. If he didn't i think Struthers wins comfortably. Losing Bowden is just too much production to replace.
Old 07-30-15, 01:27 AM
All Yappi

Count offensive starters returing
QB Musolino
Line-Neifer, Daniels,Iarussi, and Mcintee.
WR's - Sevinsky

So 6 on offense.

Defense
Best, Mateo, Sevinsky

3 on defense.

Alot of lettermen returning as well for the Cats.
Old 07-30-15, 07:34 AM
All Ohio

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Count offensive starters returing
QB Musolino
Line-Neifer, Daniels,Iarussi, and Mcintee.
WR's - Sevinsky

So 6 on offense.

Defense
Best, Mateo, Sevinsky

3 on defense.

Alot of lettermen returning as well for the Cats.
I left Iarussi off the list, because he really only started 1 or 2 games last year. Although he was in the OL rotation and got good reps. Also, he's switching positions from guard to center.

As for Neifer, he did start every game last year... but like Iarussi, he's changing positions (C/G to OT). You make a point, though.

Senvisky was 7th on the team in receptions last year behind Clark, C. Nemeth, Noble, King, Yemma and Suchora (not in that order). He counts as a defensive starter, definitely. But I wouldn't put him in the offensive starter category.

2014 starting offense...

QB: Musolino
FB: Seifert/King
TB: Witkowski/B. Nemeth
WR: Clark, Noble, C. Nemeth
TE: Yemma, Suchora
OL: Pavlico, Daniels, Neifer, McIntee, Wilson

Depending on the game, the Cats used a wide variety of looks. Sometimes they'd go with mostly I sets. Other times they'd come out in a spread. But from my recollection, the featured offense looked something like that.

Musolino, Daniels, Neifer and McIntee... 4 returning.

As for the defense, Best (S) and Senvisky (LB) were the only 2 starters I counted. I think Mateo started some games at LB early in the season, but switched positions and finished the season spelling Yemma at the Bandit position.

Besides, Kuntz said that they only have 2 returning starters back on defense in the preview he did for WFMJ...

2014 starting defense...

DL: Yemma, King, Delsignore, Gilmore
LB: Trimacco, Suchora, Senvisky
DB: B. Nemeth, Caruso, Farkas, Best

That was the defense.

Senvisky and Best... 2 returning.

It's deceiving, though. A lot of the reserves that didn't necessarily start last year got some good experience (like Iarussi and Mateo, for example)... they'll just be expected to step in as starters and take on much bigger roles this year.
Old 07-30-15, 07:45 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
If rios did indeed leave Liberty i think Struthers rolls. If he didn't i think Struthers wins comfortably. Losing Bowden is just too much production to replace.
I don't think losing Bowden is gonna wreck Liberty's season... but he is an irreplaceable talent. Who knows who else they may have lost...

My gut says the Cats win... but it's too soon to say by how much.

Any Liberty guys, feel free to chime in...
Old 07-30-15, 07:47 AM
Junior Varsity

mvice is on a distinguished road
Rios is at Liberty, as is Junior Blair.
Old 07-30-15, 08:07 AM
All Ohio

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvice View Post
Rios is at Liberty, as is Junior Blair.
Who's gonna play QB?
Old 07-30-15, 08:42 AM
All American

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Struthers line will control the game. Struthers this year has a lot more talent offensively and muzz will be able to run the show, unlike last year where he was handcuffed for 3/4 of the season. The players that struthers lost last season are very easily replaced, as for losing Lynn not so much. I think liberty can win 5 games this season but their schedule early is very tough with a new Qb and coach, not to mention how Big Ben Phillips will be missed. Close early, struthers will pull away in the second half.
Old 07-30-15, 12:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTrev View Post
I left Iarussi off the list, because he really only started 1 or 2 games last year. Although he was in the OL rotation and got good reps. Also, he's switching positions from guard to center.

As for Neifer, he did start every game last year... but like Iarussi, he's changing positions (C/G to OT). You make a point, though.

Senvisky was 7th on the team in receptions last year behind Clark, C. Nemeth, Noble, King, Yemma and Suchora (not in that order). He counts as a defensive starter, definitely. But I wouldn't put him in the offensive starter category.

2014 starting offense...

QB: Musolino
FB: Seifert/King
TB: Witkowski/B. Nemeth
WR: Clark, Noble, C. Nemeth
TE: Yemma, Suchora
OL: Pavlico, Daniels, Neifer, McIntee, Wilson

Depending on the game, the Cats used a wide variety of looks. Sometimes they'd go with mostly I sets. Other times they'd come out in a spread. But from my recollection, the featured offense looked something like that.

Musolino, Daniels, Neifer and McIntee... 4 returning.

As for the defense, Best (S) and Senvisky (LB) were the only 2 starters I counted. I think Mateo started some games at LB early in the season, but switched positions and finished the season spelling Yemma at the Bandit position.

Besides, Kuntz said that they only have 2 returning starters back on defense in the preview he did for WFMJ...

2014 starting defense...

DL: Yemma, King, Delsignore, Gilmore
LB: Trimacco, Suchora, Senvisky
DB: B. Nemeth, Caruso, Farkas, Best

That was the defense.

Senvisky and Best... 2 returning.

It's deceiving, though. A lot of the reserves that didn't necessarily start last year got some good experience (like Iarussi and Mateo, for example)... they'll just be expected to step in as starters and take on much bigger roles this year.
iarussi started 4/5 games at the end and as you said rotated heavily.
Mateo also started like 6 games
And Sevinsky started as the third reciever the second half of the year.
I'll count them.
Neifer started two different positions, ill count him too.

Kuntz started a lot of seniors last season early, and that gradually changed because the younger classes are just so good. Got at least 4 sophomores this season that will start, a bevy of juniors and only a few seniors. Maybe 3-4?
Old 07-30-15, 12:36 PM
All Yappi

I know Liberty has a scrimmage vs Hoban.

Struthers will scrimmage Streetsboro and Steubenville. as usual.
Old 07-30-15, 12:41 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Probably a pretty good early season barometer for both?
Old 07-30-15, 04:07 PM
All American

Both teams should have athletes all over the field. Obviously game one jitters will be there, I see both teams being a lot better as the season goes on, more for liberty tho with breaking in a new system and getting the players to buy into that system
Old 07-30-15, 04:26 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
iarussi started 4/5 games at the end and as you said rotated heavily.
Mateo also started like 6 games
And Sevinsky started as the third reciever the second half of the year.
I'll count them.
Neifer started two different positions, ill count him too.

Kuntz started a lot of seniors last season early, and that gradually changed because the younger classes are just so good. Got at least 4 sophomores this season that will start, a bevy of juniors and only a few seniors. Maybe 3-4?
Okay. Case made. I'll give you the 6 on offense. But I have to go with the HC on defense and stick with 2..

But they are still settling in to different positions... has Iarussi ever played center before? As far as I know, he always played guard. Can he do it? Absolutely he can.

Same goes for Neifer.

0 doubt that those guys will transition seamlessly.

This year... 4 or 5 Sophomores, 4 or 5 Seniors and somewhere around 10 Juniors projected to be in the week 1 starting lineup?
Old 07-30-15, 04:28 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
Probably a pretty good early season barometer for both?
I'd say that's fair to say.
Old 07-30-15, 04:33 PM
All American

Stocker and rushton are upgrades at the corners. Medvec and rushton also upgrades at the WR position. Senvisky will be the best all
Around player this season, only because muzz will be primarily offense
Old 07-30-15, 04:33 PM
All American

FootballQueen
Good luck Wildcats!
Old 07-30-15, 04:50 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
Both teams should have athletes all over the field. Obviously game one jitters will be there, I see both teams being a lot better as the season goes on, more for liberty tho with breaking in a new system and getting the players to buy into that system
I agree.
Old 07-30-15, 04:51 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Struthers line will control the game. Struthers this year has a lot more talent offensively and muzz will be able to run the show, unlike last year where he was handcuffed for 3/4 of the season. The players that struthers lost last season are very easily replaced, as for losing Lynn not so much. I think liberty can win 5 games this season but their schedule early is very tough with a new Qb and coach, not to mention how Big Ben Phillips will be missed. Close early, struthers will pull away in the second half.
I'd take it.
Old 07-30-15, 05:01 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Stocker and rushton are upgrades at the corners. Medvec and rushton also upgrades at the WR position. Senvisky will be the best all
Around player this season, only because muzz will be primarily offense
Looking forward to seeing the Rushton kid in action.
Old 07-30-15, 05:03 PM
All Ohio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballQueen View Post
Good luck Wildcats!
Good luck Eagles!
Old 07-31-15, 08:32 AM
All American

Lep2002 is on a distinguished road
It depends on how many transfers Liberty had. Liberty was looking to be loaded in 2015. They were supposed to return 8 of 11 on offense and 7 of 11 on defense from a really good 2014 team. Liberty last year was a Top-10 D5 team after week 5 when their own transfers were eligible and they got settled down.

Losing Bowden hurts. So does the graduation of Ben Phillips. With that being said, Liberty always has skill position players. They won't be as good as those 2 but they will be good. Is Jayshaun Whitman staying? If so then he will be one of the best 2-way players in the Valley for the Leopards. Blair and Rios sticking around is huge. Liberty has some really big offensive linemen that were supposed to return. I think Liberty had a pair of freshmen that got some real playing time on both sides of the ball and if they come back that will be big.

Bowden made Liberty a dark horse threat for a state title. He gave Liberty a shot at Ursuline and Mooney. With him gone and everyone else returning, I think Liberty could be really good but not a threat to to beat UHS or Mooney. If a bunch of kids I mentioned transferred out, they will struggle.

Liberty needs stability as a program. They have now had 4 coaches in the last 5 years but they have still made the playoffs the last 3. I think Liberty has a shot to win whatever conference they are now in and get to a 4th straight playoffs.
Old 07-31-15, 12:23 PM
Junior Varsity

Whitman is still there, Capone Haywood stayed, Dra Rushton is competing for the quarterback job. Got a kid or two out for the team who played basketball who did not play season according to the coach when he was on 1240 last week.

Your going to find that yes kids talked about transfering out when everything went down, but when the dust settled sometimes it's just best to stick around.

With coach Allen, I feel Liberty will now have discipline, and stability.

The ultimate short term, it hurt because they lost Lynn but in the long run this is a good move for the program and the school.
Old 07-31-15, 12:56 PM
All American

FootballQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTrev View Post
Good luck Eagles!
Thank you, but it's the Falcons not Eagles. You almost had it, being that their both birds. On the right track, but not quite. Again thanks!
Old 07-31-15, 01:33 PM
All American

Dra is a little small to be playing QB wouldn't you say? Unless they don't plan on throwing the ball that much
Old 07-31-15, 01:53 PM
All Yappi

Yes getting a coach that cares about the LIBERTY kids and community will definitely help in the long run.

Struthers wins. But ill reserve my score prediction til after the Steubenville scrimmage.

Anyone else battling for the QB job in Liberty?
Old 07-31-15, 02:05 PM
Junior Varsity

coach said on radio...from what I heard as I was coming back from Cleveland so it was coming in choppy...sounded like he said it was a three-person race between Whitman (sr), Bowers (jr basketball kid), and Rushton.

I feel maybe they see some Lynn in Rushton, shifty with good vision who can make a play on a broken play if the line does not hold.

I've lost touch with the Leopards some since the Whitaker days being a transplant to this area. I sort of follow the big games but always had a spot for Liberty since it's were a reside.
Old 07-31-15, 02:10 PM
All Yappi

Struthers showed who they were last season in the last two weeks of the season. They beat a very good Howland team, and were the only team that Hubbard had to play 4 qtrs against. The 4th quarter of the hubbard game was just hubbard showing their copius amonts of talent. I thought the many sophomores of the wildcats that played vs the tigers and eagles showed that Struthers is once again a really good team.

QB AJ Musolino is really just going to be a stud. d1 interest all over the place and 2 years to go. He wills the wildcats to victory in a few of the close games this season, and it doesnt hurt that the cats are bringing back a couple of really good young linemen.

-LT 6'2 260-sophomore
LG 6'1 230-Junior (returning starter)
C 6'1 250-Sophomore (returning starter)
Rg 6'1 230 - senior (returning starter)
RT - competition between a 6'0 300 lb returning starter and a 6'4 270 lb junior.

The tailback is going to be done by committee but you'll see Regal Reese a kid who is around 6'1 -205 or so. Didnt play ball last season due to a persnonal issue but is ready to go this year. Very good as a freshman, will be a junior

Recievers
Dakota Sevinsky 5'10 170 returns as a senior
Tekale Rushton - 6'2 transfer from PA that has great speed and good hands, will be the deep ball threat-junior
Johnny Medvic -6'2 190- a great baseball player who has taken off football for 2 years. Can catch and move with the best of them. Junior

TE's
Luis Mateo- 6'2 - 220- Very strong and fast. Prototype TE, will probably spilt out wide as well. Penn state recruit-Junior
Isiah Reyes 6'2 -245 - Great blocker who will be a junior

I really like the offense for Struthers this season, but the defense is the questionmark. Hoetzl will sure the defense up. 100% faith
Old 07-31-15, 05:09 PM
All American

Lep2002 is on a distinguished road
Was Dra Rushton one of the freshmen I saw play for Liberty last year? I thought he might be a RB but replacing Lynn with him may make sense. Whitman is probably best at WR if you can find a decent QB. Whitman can make plays on speed sweeps and reverses in addition to being the #1 deep threat. I thought he wasn't used properly last year--but then again the "offense" relied so much on Bowden that it was tough to get anyone else going outside of a Ben Phillips bomb here and there. I guess you go Rios at RB and look for someone else to pop up. Liberty usually has a really good threat at RB so I am sure someone will pop up.

I know Bowden was a great player but Liberty always seems to find players that do what he does. You can't replace Bowden's production, but I am very confident that Liberty will have 3 or 4 guys that can make a big play at the D5 level.
Old 07-31-15, 05:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lep2002 View Post
Was Dra Rushton one of the freshmen I saw play for Liberty last year? I thought he might be a RB but replacing Lynn with him may make sense. Whitman is probably best at WR if you can find a decent QB. Whitman can make plays on speed sweeps and reverses in addition to being the #1 deep threat. I thought he wasn't used properly last year--but then again the "offense" relied so much on Bowden that it was tough to get anyone else going outside of a Ben Phillips bomb here and there. I guess you go Rios at RB and look for someone else to pop up. Liberty usually has a really good threat at RB so I am sure someone will pop up.

I know Bowden was a great player but Liberty always seems to find players that do what he does. You can't replace Bowden's production, but I am very confident that Liberty will have 3 or 4 guys that can make a big play at the D5 level.

New liberty coach seems like a good guy as well. Hoping they end up 9-1
Old 07-31-15, 08:29 PM
All Ohio

Joe Bernastat
Quote:
Originally Posted by lep2002 View Post
it depends on how many transfers liberty had. Liberty was looking to be loaded in 2015. They were supposed to return 8 of 11 on offense and 7 of 11 on defense from a really good 2014 team. Liberty last year was a top-10 d5 team after week 5 when their own transfers were eligible and they got settled down.

Losing bowden hurts. So does the graduation of ben phillips. With that being said, liberty always has skill position players. They won't be as good as those 2 but they will be good. Is jayshaun whitman staying? If so then he will be one of the best 2-way players in the valley for the leopards. Blair and rios sticking around is huge. Liberty has some really big offensive linemen that were supposed to return. I think liberty had a pair of freshmen that got some real playing time on both sides of the ball and if they come back that will be big.

Bowden made liberty a dark horse threat for a state title. He gave liberty a shot at ursuline and mooney. With him gone and everyone else returning, i think liberty could be really good but not a threat to to beat uhs or mooney. If a bunch of kids i mentioned transferred out, they will struggle.

Liberty needs stability as a program. They have now had 4 coaches in the last 5 years but they have still made the playoffs the last 3. I think liberty has a shot to win whatever conference they are now in and get to a 4th straight playoffs.
^^^^^fake leopard