Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-17, 03:42 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Leake got a 5 year, $80 mill contract from the Cardinals, he's a #4/ #5 pitcher.
Right, it averages to $16m/yr; Homer's was much much richer (averages about $5m more a year) and you called it a mid-level 3/4 deal. So dumb.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-17, 04:46 PM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
https://www.google.com/search?q=alzh...istate=lrl:xpd

14red this link may help you out. If you need to post a family members email address and I can send them the link, that is if you don't forget. Its never to early to seek treatment to help manage your condition
Old 07-06-17, 04:47 PM
All Yappi

You have to admire his willingness to make an absolute idiotic fool out of himself over and over and over.
Old 07-06-17, 04:50 PM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
And it's totally unintentional.
Old 07-06-17, 08:16 PM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ok, you're looking at two different things...who is perceived as the better pitcher, and who actually pitched better. Now Latos did pitch very well for a couple of seasons for the Reds. But I never viewed him as a long term pitcher for this team. Too up and down, too many injuries and quite frankly, too flaky.

Scott Feldman has pitched the best on this team this season, did we consider him the staff ace??? Heavens no.
What? Latos was the #1 in San Diego when the Reds signed him. They certainly signed him to be at least a #2 if not the ace of the staff.
Old 07-07-17, 11:32 AM
All Region

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
I've been away, need to get in on this fun...

Quote:
Baby steps wolves...after those first two starts, I'm just happy he didn't get shelled. 1 run over 6 innings is more than satisfactory for me. As I said a few weeks back, as long as he's physically sound, he needs to get 15-18 starts the rest of the season, build up some arm strength and innings. Success is kind of secondary at this point, unless he simply can't get people out anymore. Yesterday was a step in the right direction. I don't know that Homer ever regains what he was, but if he can be a solid #3/ #4 starter for us in 2018 and beyond, I can live with that.
Don't try to teach me about pitching. I've forgotten more than you will ever know. Of course he needs time to fully get back to full strength. But he is paid like an ace, he needs to be able to produce like one. With his arrow-straight fastball, and difficulty locating prescisely within the strike zone, it will never happen. He can't miss enough bats to be an ace. So we pay for an ace and get #3, #4. And you can live with that. dope.

Quote:
I always viewed Homer as a #2/ #3 starter. I thought originally he could be a #1, but his stuff just isn't good enough, long enough. He's certainly in small company with two career no-hitters, but we've also seen the other side of the inconsistency.
Even though many groan about his contract, it's a mid level #3/#4 type contract which is what Homer is.
I know others have crucified you for yet another mis-statement. Look up a fact once in a while before posting idiocy like this. He earns more than the #1 on more than half of the other MLB teams.

Quote:
I can't disagree with you on that. But it's hyway robbery what Leake is getting from the Cardinals - but good for him. He's your prototypical #4, #5 starter getting paid like a #1/ #2.
I almost drove off the "hyway" laughing at this one. Leake earns 20% less than Homer, and his salary is #1/#2. Homer is paid like a #3/#4. Dope.
Old 07-07-17, 11:36 AM
All Yappi

I'm just glad the reds were able to secure Bailey's talents for a mid-level #3/4 contract rate. They'd really feel dumb if they were paying him big bank like the Cards are with Leake.
Old 07-07-17, 02:26 PM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
As always EP, you always judge things in hindsight, that's the easy way. The Reds certainly didn't forecast the injuries Bailey's had, or they wouldn't have signed him. It's really about as simple as that.
Old 07-07-17, 02:30 PM
All American

don't know how many of you actually watch the games anymore. But there was a play Wednesday night in Colorado I can't explain.

Jose Peraza stole 2nd base, was called out. On replay, there was really no conceivable way he was out, the call was not reversed. I don't know how, with review, that call could not be reversed.
Old 07-07-17, 03:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
As always EP, you always judge things in hindsight, that's the easy way. The Reds certainly didn't forecast the injuries Bailey's had, or they wouldn't have signed him. It's really about as simple as that.
That's incorrect. First, I said from the beginning the Bailey signing was a bad one, because he hadn't pitched well enough to show he would live up to his contract (past performance is the best indicator of future performance).

Also, our current discussion has nothing to do with hindsight, it's based on logic. Leake is paid much less than Bailey, and you claim Leake is paid like a #1/2 and Bailey is paid like a mid-level #3/4. Just retract that stupid statement, which is what everyone else would do instead of the nonsense you continue to throw up while trying to distract everyone from your dumb comments.
Old 07-07-17, 06:02 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve

Old 07-07-17, 06:07 PM
All Yappi

Also signed Hunter Greene minutes before the deadline. Would have been embarrassing as hell and another huge step back if they had let him slip away.

Looking forward to watching Greinke dominate the Reds tonight.
Old 07-07-17, 11:18 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Reds needed to sign and they did. Reports is he was asking for10 million which was very salty. Now time to move forward
Old 07-08-17, 01:51 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
At least he was having fun out there.
Old 07-08-17, 11:17 PM
All American

Quote:
Also signed Hunter Greene minutes before the deadline. Would have been embarrassing as hell and another huge step back if they had let him slip away.

Looking forward to watching Greinke dominate the Reds tonight.
Really enjoying Castillo dominate the Diamondbacks tonight...I can only guess you're not much of a Reds fan Sig??
Old 07-08-17, 11:21 PM
All Yappi

It was sarcasm you imbecile
Old 07-08-17, 11:42 PM
All American

Quote:
It was sarcasm you imbecile
Oh sorry, just get tired of so called Reds fans always banging the team. And I don't think not signing Green would have been an embarassement, negotaiting is part of the process when drafting. Hard to believe a 17 year old will make more this year than a good part of the Reds roster.
Old 07-09-17, 01:51 AM
All Yappi

So letting the #2 selection go unsigned would be okay because Dick Williams needs to show that he's a tough negotiator. And then what do you do?

What????

Are you a used car salesman?
Old 07-09-17, 08:04 AM
All American

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So letting the #2 selection go unsigned would be okay because Dick Williams needs to show that he's a tough negotiator. And then what do you do?

What????

Lol...

You would suck at negotiating.
Old 07-09-17, 09:06 AM
All Yappi

They got the deal done. It doesn't matter if it was the eleventh hour. Someone always blinks at the eleventh hour anyway.
Old 07-09-17, 09:30 AM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Lol...

Thank you so much for this. With these great people skills that you have displayed with your post, you show how skilled you must be at negotiating.

Next time, perhaps you could state how you would have done better, cuz when you simply attack someone else like Sig, you just make yourself look unqualified to judge.
Old 07-09-17, 05:46 PM
All Yappi

Great outing by Batman today. Maybe he'll think about putting off retirement for a few weeks.
Old 07-09-17, 06:05 PM
All Yappi

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Votto needs to be in the MVP discussion. Hitting .315 and leading the League in HRs.
Old 07-09-17, 06:07 PM
All Yappi

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Reds needed to sign and they did. Reports is he was asking for10 million which was very salty. Now time to move forward
Everyone starts with an unrealistic asking price, highly doubt they expected the Reds to handover 10 mm.
Old 07-09-17, 06:38 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Lol...

This isn't the NFL draft. Plenty of #2 overall picks in the MLB draft turn out to be nobodies. Dick Williams holds all the cards.
Old 07-09-17, 08:28 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
Thank you so much for this. With these great people skills that you have displayed with your post, you show how skilled you must be at negotiating.

Next time, perhaps you could state how you would have done better, cuz when you simply attack someone else like Sig, you just make yourself look unqualified to judge.
Good for you for coming to Sig's aid, you know the one who uses adjectives like moron and imbecile to describe other posters. But you're right, I'm not qualified to judge....

Negotiating 101: what are the other parties pressure points? Sig was simply looking at the Reds pressure point which is why he would suck at negotiating.
Old 07-09-17, 08:32 PM
All American

Homer has 2 really horrendous outings and nearly every one of you bashed him.
Homer has 2 really good outings and it's crickets.... except for Sig's satirical post about postponing retirement.

Most of you just can't bring yourselves to say anything positive about the Reds.
Old 07-09-17, 08:35 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
Dick Williams holds all the cards.
No he does not. Hunter could have turned the offer down, had a stellar collegiate career and gotten more money in 4 years.
Old 07-09-17, 09:50 PM
All American

How about that Homer Bailey???
Old 07-09-17, 09:55 PM
All American

Quote:

What????

I would hope at some point they were willing to walk away? Listened to Lance's podcast from Friday, If the Reds did not sign Green, they would have got the #3 pick in next summer's draft. A compensatory pick. So the team does have some leverage. Green could go to a D1 college and be drafted in 3 years. He could have gone to a junior college or an independent league team and been in the draft next season.

So IMO, it would not have been embarrassing. Disappointing, but not embarassing.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: