Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-10-17, 11:46 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peak View Post
Isn't the knee moving up a "preliminary" movement, as the pitcher could go to a base (1B for lefties, 3B for righties) instead of proceeding to the pitch? The pitcher's movement towards home would be the "pitching motion". If I use the definition you have above, then he could never throw to a base, due to any movement of the pitcher's front leg in general would indicates a pitching movement.

Not trying to nitpick, but trying to understand this situation. We faced it a few times and I'd like to know it's legality under the rules, one way or another.

Devil's advocate on the rules is this one from MLB Rules 5.07 (d):
"At any time during the pitcher’s preliminary movements and until his natural pitching motion commits him to the pitch, he may throw to any base provided he steps directly toward such base before making the throw."

When does preliminary movement end and natural pitching motion begin? Just because a knee is raised, the pitcher could still go to a base or begin his pitch. Does the preliminary movement end once the pitcher moves towards home? When his foot in the air either breaks beyond the rubber (i.e. Cueto)? Nothing I've seen in the rules stipulate the end of one and the beginning of the other - in regards to raising a knee. Every Ump I have spoke with has different views.
Let's keep it simple here....

From the windup, once he makes a movement that commits him to pitch, he must do so without interruption.
From the set, once he makes a movement that requires him to pitch or throw to a base, he must do so without interruption.

He he fails to meet that criteria, it's illegal. It's not a philosophy, it's not an opinion, it's not what some guys think..... it's the rule.

Anything else is just overthinking this.

Last edited by AllSports12; 10-10-17 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-24-17, 04:16 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Runner on 1st, batter hits the ball to left center. Runner on rounds second and heads to 3rd.

Throw from left center to 3rd base is a little offline and forces the 3rd baseman to move about 3 feet away from the bag into the runners baseline. Ball gets there about 3 steps before the runner gets there but short hops the 3rd baseman who smothers the ball (loose ball on the ground). Runner slides feet first towards 3rd base but is stopped short of the bag due to the collision with the 3rd baseman on the ground. Runner gets up on their knees and reaches for 3rd base and is tagged out by the 3rd baseman who located and picked up the ball just before the runner could touch the bag.

Is this obstruction?

Just for clarity, the smothered ball and slide were not simultaneous. The ball was mishandled first and the slide did not dislodge or impede the attempted catch.
Old 10-24-17, 04:58 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Runner on 1st, batter hits the ball to left center. Runner on rounds second and heads to 3rd.

Throw from left center to 3rd base is a little offline and forces the 3rd baseman to move about 3 feet away from the bag into the runners baseline. Ball gets there about 3 steps before the runner gets there but short hops the 3rd baseman who smothers the ball (loose ball on the ground). Runner slides feet first towards 3rd base but is stopped short of the bag due to the collision with the 3rd baseman on the ground. Runner gets up on their knees and reaches for 3rd base and is tagged out by the 3rd baseman who located and picked up the ball just before the runner could touch the bag.

Is this obstruction?

Just for clarity, the smothered ball and slide were not simultaneous. The ball was mishandled first and the slide did not dislodge or impede the attempted catch.
Obstruction

Smothering the ball does not qualify as possession. Blocking access to the base without possession of the ball is the basis for this ruling.
Old 02-17-18, 05:04 PM
All Region

Bugsy8875 is on a distinguished road
At State Umpire Clinic today. Two different things told to me on this situation.

Runner on 2nd base. Right Handed Pitcher in stretch picks up left leg and does not break the plane. Runner takes off for 3rd Base. The pitcher then continues with his motion and throws to 3rd... The ball beats the runner and he is tagged out... Ruling???
Old 02-18-18, 10:12 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy8875 View Post
At State Umpire Clinic today. Two different things told to me on this situation.

Runner on 2nd base. Right Handed Pitcher in stretch picks up left leg and does not break the plane. Runner takes off for 3rd Base. The pitcher then continues with his motion and throws to 3rd... The ball beats the runner and he is tagged out... Ruling???
As described, under NFHS rules, this is legal. There are variations to this that could cause this to be illegal.

Have to see the whole play to properly rule.
Old 02-19-18, 09:22 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
As described, under NFHS rules, this is legal. There are variations to this that could cause this to be illegal.

Have to see the whole play to properly rule.
This is the situation presented and walked through to several umpires that have done big tournaments games. It was done in different groups and one said I would balk them and the other said it was legal.

One other inconsistency that stuck with me was this situation.

Runners at 2B and 3B. There is an attempted pick off of the runner at 2B and while that runner is going back to 2B, he is obstructed.

One umpire told us that the runner is given third base and the runner at 3B is pushed home.

Another umpire said the runner stays at 2B because there is no base available to give the runner that was obstructed with.

We go to these things to get better and there were some things I picked up on that will help, but to have umpires who have umpired at the highest HS level be inconsistent in understanding the rules, this is not good.

One more just came to mind. I had an instructor during my plate mechanics station tell me not to put the ball in play with my right hand, yet it clearly states in the Blue Book put out by the OHSAA that is what you are supposed to do.
Old 02-19-18, 12:37 PM
All World

Quote:
This is the situation presented and walked through to several umpires that have done big tournaments games. It was done in different groups and one said I would balk them and the other said it was legal.

One other inconsistency that stuck with me was this situation.

Runners at 2B and 3B. There is an attempted pick off of the runner at 2B and while that runner is going back to 2B, he is obstructed.

One umpire told us that the runner is given third base and the runner at 3B is pushed home.

Another umpire said the runner stays at 2B because there is no base available to give the runner that was obstructed with.

We go to these things to get better and there were some things I picked up on that will help, but to have umpires who have umpired at the highest HS level be inconsistent in understanding the rules, this is not good.

One more just came to mind. I had an instructor during my plate mechanics station tell me not to put the ball in play with my right hand, yet it clearly states in the Blue Book put out by the OHSAA that is what you are supposed to do.

Well, at least you now know....

1) working "big games" does not automatically mean someone knows the rules
2) Who not to listen to

With regards to the play at third..... What was the reasoning for the Balk call? Usually, the guys who say this is a balk try to justify this by claiming the pitcher is throwing to an unoccupied base..... This is a myth and is backed up by Rule, Case Book and Written interpretations. It is perfectly legal to throw to an unoccupied base if there is a play to be made. A steal of third here makes this a play.

As far as the obstruction play, ask yourself this question, if no base is to be awarded because of a preceding runner, what deterrent is there for the defense from purposely holding, tackling, tripping or other forms of impeding the runner? Does anyone really think that in this situation the defense can either get an out or be right where they started with the obstructed runner put back to where he started?

And finally, to your instructor.... ask him politely why his teachings are different than the Blue Book......No need to shove it down his throat, but ask him in the sense of consistency.... if he's offended by this, you know another person who to be careful of.

Last edited by AllSports12; 02-19-18 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-19-18, 01:38 PM
All Region

Quote:
Well, at least you now know....

1) working "big games" does not automatically mean someone knows the rules
2) Who not to listen to

With regards to the play at third..... What was the reasoning for the Balk call? Usually, the guys who say this is a balk try to justify this by claiming the pitcher is throwing to an unoccupied base..... This is a myth and is backed up by Rule, Case Book and Written interpretations. It is perfectly legal to throw to an unoccupied base if there is a play to be made. A steal of third here makes this a play.

As far as the obstruction play, ask yourself this question, if no base is to be awarded because of a preceding runner, what deterrent is there for the defense from purposely holding, tackling, tripping or other forms of impeding the runner? Does anyone really think that in this situation the defense can either get an out or be right where they started with the obstructed runner put back to where he started?

And finally, to your instructor.... ask him politely why his teachings are different than the Blue Book......No need to shove it down his throat, but ask him in the sense of consistency.... if he's offended by this, you know another person who to be careful of.
The reason given was the unoccupied base and the runner was probably going to be far away from third by the time the ball got there.. Just paraphrasing what they said, not that I agree.

A follow up thought I did have on this situation was a runner at first is stealing second. Can a pitcher then jump turn and throw to second base without penalty?

The obstruction situation seemed confusing when it was discussed. Awarding a base and penalizing the offending team makes sense as your question to me was phrased. I was just surprised by the inconsistency to which a rule like that is mistaken. The person who talked about only being able to award a base if available was one of the main guys running the clinic. I am just trying to learn and get better, didn't like the inconsistency in some of the instruction.
Old 02-19-18, 02:08 PM
All World

Quote:
The reason given was the unoccupied base and the runner was probably going to be far away from third by the time the ball got there.. Just paraphrasing what they said, not that I agree.
2013 NFHS Baseball Rule Interpretation...

SITUATION 19: The runner at first base takes off in an attempt to steal second base. The pitcher legally makes a spin move and throws to unoccupied second base to easily retire the stealing runner. The third-base coach argues, saying the pitcher cannot throw to an unoccupied base. RULING: A pitcher may throw or feint a throw to an unoccupied base in an attempt to put out or drive back a runner. The out stands. (6-2-4b)

^^ That should dispel the myth. The distance the runner is away from the bag has no bearing on this.

Quote:
A follow up thought I did have on this situation was a runner at first is stealing second. Can a pitcher then jump turn and throw to second base without penalty?
See above.......it's the exact play

Quote:
The obstruction situation seemed confusing when it was discussed. Awarding a base and penalizing the offending team makes sense as your question to me was phrased. I was just surprised by the inconsistency to which a rule like that is mistaken. The person who talked about only being able to award a base if available was one of the main guys running the clinic. I am just trying to learn and get better, didn't like the inconsistency in some of the instruction.
That's where you develop the skills to ask the instructor one on one or via e-mail citing the rule or mechanic specifically to this person. If he persists in teaching contrary to the rule or the mechanic it's time to learn to screen out the incorrect stuff and find the guys out there that do it the right way. Once you find them, develop a relationship with them and use that relationship to learn from them.
Old 02-23-18, 08:29 PM
All Region

Quote:
2013 NFHS Baseball Rule Interpretation...

SITUATION 19: The runner at first base takes off in an attempt to steal second base. The pitcher legally makes a spin move and throws to unoccupied second base to easily retire the stealing runner. The third-base coach argues, saying the pitcher cannot throw to an unoccupied base. RULING: A pitcher may throw or feint a throw to an unoccupied base in an attempt to put out or drive back a runner. The out stands. (6-2-4b)

^^ That should dispel the myth. The distance the runner is away from the bag has no bearing on this.

See above.......it's the exact play

That's where you develop the skills to ask the instructor one on one or via e-mail citing the rule or mechanic specifically to this person. If he persists in teaching contrary to the rule or the mechanic it's time to learn to screen out the incorrect stuff and find the guys out there that do it the right way. Once you find them, develop a relationship with them and use that relationship to learn from them.

Thanks. I have also used this forum for some insight too. Thank you!

I always try to learn something every time out. I keep a journal/notes on my computer during the season and review them before every season just as reminders. I have no ego about this. It's a lot fun to be able to be around the great game of baseball as an older adult.
Old 03-30-18, 10:02 PM
All Region

Had this happen tonight.

I was on the bases. Runner at 1B. Gets a good jump on a hit and run. Ball goes to Third basemen and he throws to 2B. The Second basemen catches to the ball on the back side of the bag. Nice bang bang play for the out. The runner slid into 2B and then proceeded to stand up using his momentum. As this happened, the Second basemen was going to throw but didn't.

In my judgment, the runner didn't put his hands up or intentionally mess with the throw. Since the Second basemen didn't complete the double play attempt, the coach wanted interference on the runner. I didn't call it.

Was I correct? Driving home, when you think about those situations, you can second guess yourself.
Old 04-01-18, 07:58 PM
All World

Quote:
Had this happen tonight.

I was on the bases. Runner at 1B. Gets a good jump on a hit and run. Ball goes to Third basemen and he throws to 2B. The Second basemen catches to the ball on the back side of the bag. Nice bang bang play for the out. The runner slid into 2B and then proceeded to stand up using his momentum. As this happened, the Second basemen was going to throw but didn't.

In my judgment, the runner didn't put his hands up or intentionally mess with the throw. Since the Second basemen didn't complete the double play attempt, the coach wanted interference on the runner. I didn't call it.

Was I correct? Driving home, when you think about those situations, you can second guess yourself.
Start with Rule 2-32-2a ....... to see if the slide is legal

"A slide is illegal if:

a. the runner uses a rolling, cross-body or pop-up slide into the fielder",

Next, keep in mind that this is a force play and 8-4-2b (Force play slide rule) now comes into play. If you rule the slide illegal, then not only is the runner out, but the batter-runner is out as well. (any other runners are returned to where they were at the time of the pitch)

Seeing this....... would you have stayed with your original call?
Old 04-02-18, 09:35 AM
All Region

Makes you think... Replaying it in my head, I probably would stay with call. The runner was not totally upright during his slide when the F4 was going to make the throw. F4 might have been able to attempt the throw if he really wanted to.. Coach came out, didn't make a big stink about it when I explained why I didn't call it. Doesn't make me correct. It's one of those plays/situations that you want to experience and file away the memory for the future. As the saying goes, almost anyone can make 90% of the calls in a baseball game, it's the other 10% that separate us and that's my goal.

Thanks
Old 04-02-18, 10:10 AM
All World

Quote:
Makes you think... Replaying it in my head, I probably would stay with call. The runner was not totally upright during his slide when the F4 was going to make the throw. F4 might have been able to attempt the throw if he really wanted to.. Coach came out, didn't make a big stink about it when I explained why I didn't call it. Doesn't make me correct. It's one of those plays/situations that you want to experience and file away the memory for the future. As the saying goes, almost anyone can make 90% of the calls in a baseball game, it's the other 10% that separate us and that's my goal.

Thanks
The FPSR is designed to protect the defense. The slide as you described is illegal. Furthermore, you said F4 "was going to throw, but didn't"....

Classic violation of the FPSR. Should have got two out on this one. Hands up, or intent by the runner has nothing to do with this.
Old 04-02-18, 11:35 AM
All Region

Ugh.... Thanks

For future reference. If I wanted to ask the plate umpire for help, is that possible for that call or do I have full control over that?

For when I am behind the plate, from what I understand, the plate umpire also is watching for that. If the base umpire doesn't make the call, can the plate umpire make it if he thinks it was illegal?

Hope my last questions make sense in type. Appreciate the insight.
Old 04-02-18, 01:21 PM
All World

Quote:
Ugh.... Thanks

For future reference. If I wanted to ask the plate umpire for help, is that possible for that call or do I have full control over that?

For when I am behind the plate, from what I understand, the plate umpire also is watching for that. If the base umpire doesn't make the call, can the plate umpire make it if he thinks it was illegal?

Hope my last questions make sense in type. Appreciate the insight.
In most cases, the PU will have the interference call at second base as you are following the play to first. In this case, since no throw was made making the call yourself is fine. So is going to your partner for help for what he may have seen.
Old 04-03-18, 08:56 AM
All Region

Here is another situation not during live action..

Team A just finishes batting. As Team A is taking the field, their First Base Coach meanders out to the mound, talks to his pitcher while he throws a couple of pitches.

Nothing or a charged conference?
Old 04-03-18, 09:09 AM
All World

Quote:
Here is another situation not during live action..

Team A just finishes batting. As Team A is taking the field, their First Base Coach meanders out to the mound, talks to his pitcher while he throws a couple of pitches.

Nothing or a charged conference?
Nothing... Your Case Book is your friend here...

3.4.1 SITUATION H:

Between innings the coach of Team A walks from the third base coach’s box to the pitcher’s mound and proceeds to visit with F1.

RULING: F1 has one minute in which to complete his warmup throws. At that point, the coach should leave the field. The umpire should not allow play to begin until the coach is off the field. The umpire may assess the coach a charged conference if he delays leaving the field. (6-2-2c EXCEPTION)

Good game management from an umpire will prevent a conference from being charged here.
Old 04-03-18, 10:34 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
So a pitcher has to pause In the stretch even when no one was on base? Saw it Warned in a jv game, twice. I never heard of it, asked a couple former college pitchers as well.
Old 04-03-18, 11:33 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
So a pitcher has to pause In the stretch even when no one was on base? Saw it Warned in a jv game, twice. I never heard of it, asked a couple former college pitchers as well.
Doesn't have to pause. There are no runners to deceive (To call a Balk).
Old 04-03-18, 12:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Doesn't have to pause. There are no runners to deceive (To call a Balk).
I never heardof it. Asked the coach in the game and he said its been called a few times in the last couple years. Warning then its called a ball.

Id loke to hear feom expert here. I don't know all rules but i pride myself in knowing Mich more that most and i am always up to learning more
Old 04-03-18, 01:27 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
I never heardof it. Asked the coach in the game and he said its been called a few times in the last couple years. Warning then its called a ball.

Id loke to hear feom expert here. I don't know all rules but i pride myself in knowing Mich more that most and i am always up to learning more
Something I found.

Rule 8.01(b) Comment: With no runners on base, the pitcher is not required to come to a complete stop when using the Set Position. If, however, in the umpire’s judgment, a pitcher delivers the ball in a deliberate effort to catch the batter off guard, this delivery shall be deemed a quick pitch, for which the penalty is a ball. See Rule 8.05(e) Comment.
Old 04-03-18, 01:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Something I found.

Rule 8.01(b) Comment: With no runners on base, the pitcher is not required to come to a complete stop when using the Set Position. If, however, in the umpire’s judgment, a pitcher delivers the ball in a deliberate effort to catch the batter off guard, this delivery shall be deemed a quick pitch, for which the penalty is a ball. See Rule 8.05(e) Comment.
Great find. Thanks
Old 04-03-18, 02:03 PM
All World

Quote:
Something I found.

Please do not quote from the Official Baseball Rules when discussing plays from games governed under NFHS Rules. They do not always apply.

Regarding the play in question....

A pitcher must always pause when pitching from the stretch position. Failure to do so is an illegal pitch. An illegal Pitch with runners on base is a balk. An illegal pitch without runners on base results in a ball being awarded to the batter's count.

Rule 2-18-1
Illegal Pitch
An illegal pitch is an illegal act committed by the pitcher with no runner on base, which results in a ball being awarded the batter. When an illegal pitch occurs with a runner, or runners, on base, it is ruled a balk.

Rule 6-1-3 Set Position
For the set position, the pitcher shall have the ball in either his gloved hand or his pitching hand. His pitching hand shall be down at his side or behind his back. Before starting his delivery, he shall stand with his entire non-pivot foot in front of a line extending through the front edge of the pitcher's plate and with his entire pivot foot in contact with or directly in front of and parrallel to the pitcher's plate. He shall go to the set position without interruption and in one continuous motion. He shall come to a complete and discernible stop (a change of direction is not considered an acceptable stop) with the ball in both hands in front of the body and his glove at or below his chin. Natural preliminary motions such as only one stretch may be made. During these preliminary motions and during the set position until a delivery motion occurs, the pitcher may turn on his pivot foot or lift it in a jump turn to step with the non-pivot foot toward a base while throwing or feinting as outlined in 6-2-4 and 2-28-5, or he may lift his pivot foot in a step backward off the pitcher's plate which must be in or partially within the 24-inch length of the pitcher's plate. In order to change to the wind-up position, he must first step clearly backward off the pitcher's plate with his pivot foot first. After the pitcher has placed his pivot foot on the ground clearly behind the plate, he then has the right to throw or feint to a base the same as that of any other infielder.

PENALTY (Arts. 1, 2, 3):
The ball is dead immediately when an illegal pitch occurs. If there is no runner, a ball is awarded the batter. If there is a runner, such illegal act is a balk. In both situations, the umpire signals dead ball.

There is no official warning prescribed for this act. The umpire may choose to employ a preventative umpiring technique in order to get the message to the pitcher that he must pause, but after that, it is a violation each and every time.
Old 04-03-18, 02:06 PM
All Yappi

The more ya know...... is this just f9r high school?
Old 04-03-18, 03:22 PM
All Region

Quote:
Please do not quote from the Official Baseball Rules when discussing plays from games governed under NFHS Rules. They do not always apply.

Regarding the play in question....

A pitcher must always pause when pitching from the stretch position. Failure to do so is an illegal pitch. An illegal Pitch with runners on base is a balk. An illegal pitch without runners on base results in a ball being awarded to the batter's count.

Rule 2-18-1
Illegal Pitch
An illegal pitch is an illegal act committed by the pitcher with no runner on base, which results in a ball being awarded the batter. When an illegal pitch occurs with a runner, or runners, on base, it is ruled a balk.

Rule 6-1-3 Set Position
For the set position, the pitcher shall have the ball in either his gloved hand or his pitching hand. His pitching hand shall be down at his side or behind his back. Before starting his delivery, he shall stand with his entire non-pivot foot in front of a line extending through the front edge of the pitcher's plate and with his entire pivot foot in contact with or directly in front of and parrallel to the pitcher's plate. He shall go to the set position without interruption and in one continuous motion. He shall come to a complete and discernible stop (a change of direction is not considered an acceptable stop) with the ball in both hands in front of the body and his glove at or below his chin. Natural preliminary motions such as only one stretch may be made. During these preliminary motions and during the set position until a delivery motion occurs, the pitcher may turn on his pivot foot or lift it in a jump turn to step with the non-pivot foot toward a base while throwing or feinting as outlined in 6-2-4 and 2-28-5, or he may lift his pivot foot in a step backward off the pitcher's plate which must be in or partially within the 24-inch length of the pitcher's plate. In order to change to the wind-up position, he must first step clearly backward off the pitcher's plate with his pivot foot first. After the pitcher has placed his pivot foot on the ground clearly behind the plate, he then has the right to throw or feint to a base the same as that of any other infielder.

PENALTY (Arts. 1, 2, 3):
The ball is dead immediately when an illegal pitch occurs. If there is no runner, a ball is awarded the batter. If there is a runner, such illegal act is a balk. In both situations, the umpire signals dead ball.

There is no official warning prescribed for this act. The umpire may choose to employ a preventative umpiring technique in order to get the message to the pitcher that he must pause, but after that, it is a violation each and every time.
Something I have always wondered.... maybe it can't be answered. Why do the rules differ on some of the simple situations (Like the pausing during the stretch)? There are others, but why are things not more streamlined?
Old 04-03-18, 03:38 PM
All World

Quote:
Something I have always wondered.... maybe it can't be answered. Why do the rules differ on some of the simple situations (Like the pausing during the stretch)? There are others, but why are things not more streamlined?
The differences in the rule codes account for the differences in levels of player and coach abilities as well as the different levels of the abilities of the umpires.
Old 04-04-18, 08:26 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Simple question.....is there a rule about when a base ump can/can't ask for help for another umpire, whether it's the plate ump or another base ump if there is more than 1. Is it only in certain situations or can it be any time that an ump wants help?
Old 04-04-18, 09:53 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
Simple question.....is there a rule about when a base ump can/can't ask for help for another umpire, whether it's the plate ump or another base ump if there is more than 1. Is it only in certain situations or can it be any time that an ump wants help?
Under NFHS Rules an umpire is never obligated to ask for help from his partner.

If he/she does, it should be a very rare occurrence. (outside of an offer at a pitch)
Old 04-04-18, 10:12 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Under NFHS Rules an umpire is never obligated to ask for help from his partner.

If he/she does, it should be a very rare occurrence. (outside of an offer at a pitch)
Yep, I know he never is obligated to....but is there a rule that says when/if he can or can't if he wants to