Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-26-18, 12:31 AM
All Ohio

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
CANTON McKINLEY BULLDOGS SEASON 2018/19

Basketball is finally upon us as a much anticipated new season begins with a new coach and some fine young players. In fact, most of the team are underclassmen. Size, quickness, and athleticism will be strengths this year, and it looks like McKinley will be fun to watch.

The first game of the season Friday night is a tough one @ Copley, arguably the top public program in Greater Akron these days. The only meeting between the Pups and the Indians was a recent first-round tournament game @ Copley, won by the Indians. Copley, perennial Suburban League title contenders, are typically quick and talented, so this should be a really exciting game for the fans.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-18, 08:38 AM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
The Bulldogs got a couple of nice transfers.6' 7" Center Brent Walker who has a ton of potential.He could be all-state by his senior season.And 6'2" Jalen Ross from svsm.He is a good one.

Then back from last year 6'3" Kobe Johnson at point pg.

Walker and Kobe are sophomore's and Ross a junior.

Then a lot of good sophmore's and the JV team was very good last year.So alot of good junior's as well.
Old 11-26-18, 09:08 AM
Varsity

the phog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBulldog View Post
Basketball is finally upon us as a much anticipated new season begins with a new coach and some fine young players. In fact, most of the team are underclassmen. Size, quickness, and athleticism will be strengths this year, and it looks like McKinley will be fun to watch.

The first game of the season Friday night is a tough one @ Copley, arguably the top public program in Greater Akron these days. The only meeting between the Pups and the Indians was a recent first-round tournament game @ Copley, won by the Indians. Copley, perennial Suburban League title contenders, are typically quick and talented, so this should be a really exciting game for the fans.
Played Copley at The Fieldhouse last season, Copley won 57-47.
Old 11-26-18, 10:38 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phog View Post
Played Copley at The Fieldhouse last season, Copley won 57-47.
Thanks phog. This puts Copley on top 2-0 in the series. I wasn't around for last season

Last edited by JJBulldog; 11-26-18 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-26-18, 10:46 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBulldog View Post
The Bulldogs got a couple of nice transfers.6' 7" Center Brent Walker who has a ton of potential.He could be all-state by his senior season.And 6'2" Jalen Ross from svsm.He is a good one.

Then a lot of good sophmore's and the JV team was very good last year.So alot of good junior's as well.
Robinson is also strong and plays football, as do some others. Between new faces and a new system, a young yeam with a new young coach, it might take time to develop the requisite cohesiveness needed to compete at the highest level. So i expect the team to grow and improve over the course of the campaign, peaking in time for Bulldog time- tournament time!

GO Bulldogs!
Old 11-27-18, 07:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

I almost forgot, 6'7" Brent Walker is very athletic.

GO BULLDOGSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-28-18, 08:38 AM
All District

frs1930 is on a distinguished road
any presale tickets for Friday night game at Copely? Think it will sell out?
Old 11-28-18, 03:31 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by frs1930 View Post
any presale tickets for Friday night game at Copely? Think it will sell out?
https://cantonmckinley.com/facilities/ticket-office
Old 11-30-18, 07:20 PM
All Yappi

Will anyone post the score of tonights game against Copley?
Old 11-30-18, 08:14 PM
All World

krs1 is on a distinguished road
McKinley 28
Copley 22
Half
Old 11-30-18, 08:34 PM
All World

McKinley 37
Copley 37
End of 3
Old 11-30-18, 08:47 PM
All Ohio

325 to go Bulldogs 49-44
Old 11-30-18, 08:48 PM
All Ohio

Pups ball. 252
Old 11-30-18, 08:49 PM
All Ohio

51-44 Dawgs
Old 11-30-18, 08:51 PM
All Ohio

159 to go pups 51-45
Old 11-30-18, 08:57 PM
All World

McKinley 58
Copley 49
Final
Old 11-30-18, 08:57 PM
All Ohio

l Canton McKinley Bulldogs 58 Copley 49 final.
Old 11-30-18, 09:27 PM
All Ohio

Coach V gets his first win in his first game against Copley. Real nice crowd on hand for the opener for both teams. McKinley fans travelled well tonight.

The team has much work to do as they are young and learning a different way to play. The shooting wasn't where it it will be, but the defense often looks promising. Very quick hands. Positional awareness will improve, and our kids will get much better in all phases.

The officiating tonight was some of the best I've seen in a long time, so hats off to Copley. Could you please send them down to Canton and call all of our league games? lol. Top shelf.

Jasper and Jalen looked very good along with Chris who ran the point nicely. The others weren't all that bad, either, and showed some signs of the talent they can turn on, too. It was a very balanced attack and these guys play team first, organised ball. Lots of upside. But they are young, make no mistake about it. Fans are going to love this team over the next few years. These are early days, and fans must remain patient. But I'm liking what I see so far.
Old 12-01-18, 12:51 AM
All American

FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
McKinley looked very good tonight. Copley didn't shoot very well but the Bulldogs' D had something to do with that, as they contested pretty much every shot. Tie game with 5 to play but McKinley pulled away as they were very sharp down the stretch. Game had almost a tourney feel to it, which is kinda weird for a season opener, but that will benefit both teams in the long run. Copley held their own on the boards tonight, but I don't think too many teams will be able to say that v the Bulldogs this season. Once they figure out how to play #4 & #21 on the floor together for long stretches, they will be scary. #0 played well, but #10 was the Bulldogs best player tonight. Emich and Vann played well for the Indians. Congrats to McKinley and their coach for his 1st Bulldog W.
Old 12-01-18, 02:54 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Coach V gets his first win in his first game against Copley. Real nice crowd on hand for the opener for both teams. McKinley fans travelled well tonight.

The team has much work to do as they are young and learning a different way to play. The shooting wasn't where it it will be, but the defense often looks promising. Very quick hands. Positional awareness will improve, and our kids will get much better in all phases.

The officiating tonight was some of the best I've seen in a long time, so hats off to Copley. Could you please send them down to Canton and call all of our league games? lol. Top shelf.

Jasper and Jalen looked very good along with Chris who ran the point nicely. The others weren't all that bad, either, and showed some signs of the talent they can turn on, too. It was a very balanced attack and these guys play team first, organised ball. Lots of upside. But they are young, make no mistake about it. Fans are going to love this team over the next few years. These are early days, and fans must remain patient. But I'm liking what I see so far.
How did Kobe and Walker look? Chris ran the point nicely? I thought Kobe was the point gaurd?
Old 12-01-18, 05:57 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
How did Kobe and Walker look? Chris ran the point nicely? I thought Kobe was the point gaurd?
Kobe plays both the 1 & 2 guard spots, depending on the situation, who's on the floor and the type of defense. This is a different system to what Coach Hairston had, and it is really a night and day comparison. Kobe looked fine, but he doesnt have to do everything himself. They have plenty of team firepower. Remember, he is only a sophomore. Its easy to forget sometimes. Same with Walker. He is a work in progress as a sophomore. Neither are near being the finished product. We don't want to put unwarranted pressure on very young talents. If they continue to work hard and listen to the coaches, they can develop nicely. Plenty of potential on this Bulldog roster. Based only on tonight, I would say realistic goals should be constantly learning and improving, possibly winning the league and the District, but mastering the mental aspects of Coach V's system so that knowing where your teammates are at all times and not having to think as much as a result will make them less tentative and more fluent. We look very organized, and once the awareness becomes second nature, look out! But that wont happen overnight. This is no streetball team, thats for sure.

Patience is the key word for fans. Let's not put undue pressure on our young men learning lots and lots of new things and developing chemistry. They certainly arent afraid to shoot threes, that's for sure!
Old 12-01-18, 06:32 AM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Nice coverage JJ,thank you...Let's Go Pups!
Old 12-01-18, 07:35 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Copley is not good.
Old 12-01-18, 08:34 AM
Success is Tradition!

just a fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Thanks for sharing this. I'm looking forward to continuous improvement and lots of exciting moments this season for the young pups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Copley is not good.
Copley fans...be excited about Brian's comment because he always states the opposite of the truth.
Old 12-01-18, 10:41 AM
Junior Varsity

pupsRproud is on a distinguished road
Quote:

yes...thanks alot for the update JJ...very good to read.
Old 12-01-18, 07:41 PM
All Ohio

You guys are always very welcome! Next up- @ Glenoak Friday. The Eagles are precociously quite talented this year, a lot like us. They come into this game unbeaten. Hope to see another excellent night of support for our team.

The Bulldogs were very patient working for the good shot, nice ball movement against both man-to- man and zone defenses. Defensively, the Pups showed some zone and man, along with a zone press. They don't force the run, but they can run when the opportunity presents itself. I loved how they seemed to turn things up a notch when needed. Good coaching had the rotation at the right times.

Last edited by JJBulldog; 12-03-18 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-03-18, 07:43 PM
All Yappi

Beat GlenOak!!
Old 12-04-18, 08:55 PM
Success is Tradition!

Quote:
You guys are always very welcome! Next up- @ Glenoak Friday. The Eagles are precociously quite talented this year, a lot like us. They come into this game unbeaten. Hope to see another excellent night of support for our team.

The Bulldogs were very patient working for the good shot, nice ball movement against both man-to- man and zone defenses. Defensively, the Pups showed some zone and man, along with a zone press. They don't force the run, but they can run when the opportunity presents itself. I loved how they seemed to turn things up a notch when needed. Good coaching had the rotation at the right times.
Other than possibly the tournament, the only game I'll have a chance to see this year is against St. Ignatius. So, I'm happy to see that a good number of games will be streamed...starting with GlenOak.
Old 12-04-18, 09:19 PM
All District

AkronNative
Quote:
Originally Posted by just a fan View Post
Other than possibly the tournament, the only game I'll have a chance to see this year is against St. Ignatius. So, I'm happy to see that a good number of games will be streamed...starting with GlenOak.
Would you happen to know where I could stream the Glenoak game this Friday, as I will be out of the area?
Old 12-04-18, 09:57 PM
Success is Tradition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkronNative View Post
Would you happen to know where I could stream the Glenoak game this Friday, as I will be out of the area?
Select Live Stream #1

http://www.whbcsports.com/live-stream/